OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#1081 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:33 am

jschligs wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:Whew, what a difference a few weeks make, amirite? That FCEL investment is looking not great right now lol. I'll just hold it and everything else until they go to zero, though. Screw it. Someone said never invest money you can't afford to lose and that's how I get down.

As I was riding FCEL up I mentioned it to my brother, he decided to jump in at $25 for a hefty sum. I feel horrible for him as I got out.

Hope everyone else is doing alright with the recent crypto crash. Last few months have been brutal and I'm past the point of "buying the dip"

I did okay with Crypto. I still have some Matic, Solana and Ada that I don't mind keeping forever. Oh, I have some ETH. That's an L for me right now. But again, I'll just hold on to it until we're living like the Jetsons.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#1082 » by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:36 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
jschligs wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:Whew, what a difference a few weeks make, amirite? That FCEL investment is looking not great right now lol. I'll just hold it and everything else until they go to zero, though. Screw it. Someone said never invest money you can't afford to lose and that's how I get down.

As I was riding FCEL up I mentioned it to my brother, he decided to jump in at $25 for a hefty sum. I feel horrible for him as I got out.

Hope everyone else is doing alright with the recent crypto crash. Last few months have been brutal and I'm past the point of "buying the dip"

I did okay with Crypto. I still have some Matic, Solana and Ada that I don't mind keeping forever. Oh, I have some ETH. That's an L for me right now. But again, I'll just hold on to it until we're living like the Jetsons.

You made a tweet about the metaverse awhile back, that got me down a massive crypto rabbit whole looking for the next alt to blossom :lol: I think (hope) I found some good ones to hold for a few years.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#1083 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:04 am

Matches Malone wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
jschligs wrote:

You made a tweet about the metaverse awhile back, that got me down a massive crypto rabbit whole looking for the next alt to blossom :lol: I think (hope) I found some good ones to hold for a few years.

That was NOT financial advice :lol:

What did you jump into if you don't mind sharing? I had some Decentraland (MANA) that I did really well on. I have some Gala now and let me just say these things have a tendency to even out lol.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#1084 » by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:12 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

That was NOT financial advice :lol:

What did you jump into if you don't mind sharing? I had some Decentraland (MANA) that I did really well on. I have some Gala now and let me just say these things have a tendency to even out lol.

ROSE (Supposedly FB meta behind this one), SYLO (Smart wallet with Web3, also entering Metaverse) and CKB (Layer 1 with a scalable Layer 2. Solves the crypto trilemma). CKB is actually the one I'm really curious about. It's tokenomics are interesting and there are a few halvings coming up that will make it more valuable.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#1085 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:32 pm

I have financial spreadsheets I do every Saturday morning. My crypto investments are down 34.9% in the last week. My other investments, retirement and non retirement, are down around 4% for the week. Very tempting to buy the dips, lots of opportunities. But I'm already maxing out my 401K and Roth IRA, averages $500 a week. That's enough buying, I'm sitting on the sidelines for now with cash, especially with crypto.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1086 » by M-C-G » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:26 pm

So kohls huh?
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#1087 » by Swan Vox » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:26 pm

I appreciate this thread. Been dipping my toe into retail investing & currently have a few shares of the standard meme stocks, AMC, GME, BB & bought what seems to be a dip on FCEL from reading this thread. Not big money by any means, (only investing what I’m comfortable losing) but curious to continue to follow along with all of you. Might wade into the crypto waters at some point & keeping my eye on PSLV maybe as a longer term silver play.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1088 » by M-C-G » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm

Swan Vox wrote: keeping my eye on PSLV maybe as a longer term silver play.

I typically use PSLV and PHYS as my 'holding tank' for when I cash out of something and want to give it some time before I find the next thing to pump it into. In general, Silver seems completely undervalued and it is seems like a safe place to put it, but with some upward rocket potential if silver ever corrects (I think the concept is that it is manually suppressed, but don't really understand all the logistics of how).
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#1089 » by Swan Vox » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:50 pm

M-C-G wrote:

I typically use PSLV and PHYS as my 'holding tank' for when I cash out of something and want to give it some time before I find the next thing to pump it into. In general, Silver seems completely undervalued and it is seems like a safe place to put it, but with some upward rocket potential if silver ever corrects (I think the concept is that it is manually suppressed, but don't really understand all the logistics of how).

Am I correct in looking at PSLV vs. SLV? The JP Morgan backed one seems a lot shadier than the one that appears to be backed with physical in Canada. Any reason to buy SLV at all?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1090 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 pm

I'm still not buying other than 401k/Roth but it's getting tough not to. I never time the market, I have no idea when the slide will end, but I am certainly exploring potential opportunities in case I want to throw some more cash in.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#1091 » by jschligs » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:02 pm

The average annual correction of the S&P 500 going back 42 years had been about 14.5%. We are just below 12% from the recent high right now. The Growth/Meme stocks have been hit harder. On a Relative Strength basis, market is a bit oversold at the moment. Blame Russia.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#1092 » by aboveAverage » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:03 pm

The market seems to be set for a downturn for a while due to massive inflation. Interest rates will likely be raised, which means less money flows into the stock market, and even less into crypto. That makes me wary about buying now.

On the other hand, I also feel like all it would take is some positive news about omicron/Covid immunity and the pandemic restrictions being lifted globally to jump start the economy again. And that could be coming this year.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1093 » by M-C-G » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:24 pm

Swan Vox wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Am I correct in looking at PSLV vs. SLV? The JP Morgan backed one seems a lot shadier than the one that appears to be backed with physical in Canada. Any reason to buy SLV at all?

I'm really not certain, I just loved the idea that I could get a physically backed silver stock for when I didn't know what I wanted to put money in to, so when I discovered PHYS and PSLV, they gave me exactly what I was looking for, plus I had some really nice growth for a long stretch. I am a little skeptical if there was an apocalypse and I wanted to get my hands on the precious metals backing my stocks that it would happen, but the fact that they say I could if I wanted to is enough for now.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#1094 » by midranger » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:04 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Swan Vox wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I'm really not certain, I just loved the idea that I could get a physically backed silver stock for when I didn't know what I wanted to put money in to, so when I discovered PHYS and PSLV, they gave me exactly what I was looking for, plus I had some really nice growth for a long stretch. I am a little skeptical if there was an apocalypse and I wanted to get my hands on the precious metals backing my stocks that it would happen, but the fact that they say I could if I wanted to is enough for now.

Spoiler: it would not
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#1095 » by Swan Vox » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:20 pm

Meme stocks are starting to run a bit today. AMC up 10% & GME up 18% so far.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1096 » by jschligs » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:55 pm

Haven't touched options in months, maybe even a year, but decided to buy a SPY put expiring Friday. Boy I'm already down nearly 40%...why did I do this?
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1097 » by jschligs » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 pm

jschligs wrote:Haven't touched options in months, maybe even a year, but decided to buy a SPY put expiring Friday. Boy I'm already down nearly 40%...why did I do this?

My patience paid off, ended up making about 70%.
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#1098 » by thonnisbeastley » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
jschligs wrote:

$Link or ngmi
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#1099 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:22 pm

thonnisbeastley wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

$Link or ngmi

Been in the portfolio for years 8-)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1100 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:58 pm

$Link is up about 10% the last week. A good buy under $20 IMO (it's about $17.36 now)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks