ImageImage

OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,646

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#701 » by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:31 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I added some Chain on the dip this morning, it's up about 7% since then.

Did the same thing. I'm going to try and invest hard into chain link over the next few years. Hopefully it's the next one to boom within the next decade or so.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#702 » by thonnisbeastley » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I added some Chain on the dip this morning, it's up about 7% since then.

Same
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#703 » by Lippo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Yeah it was under 30 for a minute last night, probably never see a sub 35 again....
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#704 » by VCfor3 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:23 pm

What platform do you recommend for buying crypto? I'm new to crypto but thought I'd mess around with it a little bit for fun.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#705 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 pm

VCfor3 wrote:What platform do you recommend for buying crypto? I'm new to crypto but thought I'd mess around with it a little bit for fun.

I use Coinbase, it's simple and easy to use. But our more experienced Crypto guys probably have better alternatives in terms of costs (there are transaction fees).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ervin Johnson
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#706 » by Ervin Johnson » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:What platform do you recommend for buying crypto? I'm new to crypto but thought I'd mess around with it a little bit for fun.

I use Coinbase, it's simple and easy to use. But our more experienced Crypto guys probably have better alternatives in terms of costs (there are transaction fees).

Just a heads up, there is Coinbase and Coinbase Pro. Coinbase Pro has cheaper fees that Coinbase. I have both apps and buy from Coinbase Pro and then transfer to Coinbase, which has a better interface, easier to research, etc.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#707 » by DrWood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 pm

anyone have a preferred no-risk (or extremely low chance of even short-term significant loss) investment?
I'd like something with more upside than T-bills, which is the only such choice I have in my 401K.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#708 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 pm

DrWood wrote:anyone have a preferred no-risk (or extremely low chance of even short-term significant loss) investment?
I'd like something with more upside than T-bills, which is the only such choice I have in my 401K.

I haven’t looked at rates in a while to see what they’re at, but CDs ans MMAs are about as low risk as you can get. Heck, even opening a high interest (relatively speaking) savings account can get about .6-1% and is as liquid as can be
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#709 » by DrWood » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 am

jschligs wrote:
DrWood wrote:anyone have a preferred no-risk (or extremely low chance of even short-term significant loss) investment?

I haven’t looked at rates in a while to see what they’re at, but CDs ans MMAs are about as low risk as you can get. Heck, even opening a high interest (relatively speaking) savings account can get about .6-1% and is as liquid as can be

That's not enough upside to leave my T-bill-based fund (0.3% year-to-date, but over 2% over 3 years or longer). Is there nothing that's guaranteed over 3%?
jschligs
General Manager

Post#710 » by jschligs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:09 pm

DrWood wrote:
jschligs wrote:

That's not enough upside to leave my T-bill-based fund (0.3% year-to-date, but over 2% over 3 years or longer). Is there nothing that's guaranteed over 3%?

I don't know many guaranteed but you could look into high-dividend stocks. I read an article recently on Bill Gates' portfolio. Apple (avg. growth dividend growth rate 9.5% in past 5 years) , Ecolab, Walmart, FedEx, Caterpillar, UPS, Crown Castle, and Coke were all in his group and seem to be a solid dividend and share price growth.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#711 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:14 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:I stopped trying to get Top Shot drops but I was probably 0/10 when I tried.

I was just told they’ve implemented ID verification to allow you to withdraw your balance but there’s a $25 service fee to withdraw.
Yeah I just got my ID verification yesterday, I've heard of it taking a while for some but mine was done in minutes.

I haven't withdrawn any yet but it's $25 service fee for a bank wire transfer but only $5 if you get paid out to a ETH wallet.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Update, I requested a withdrawal of ETH on 4/16 and it hit my coinbase wallet last night so they've definitely sped up the withdrawal process from the early days.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#712 » by Finn » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

DrWood wrote:
jschligs wrote:

Guaranteed? Good luck with that. 10 Best Low-Risk Investments for April 2021
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#713 » by DrWood » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:02 am

Finn wrote:
DrWood wrote:
jschligs wrote:I haven’t looked at rates in a while to see what they’re at, but CDs ans MMAs are about as low risk as you can get. Heck, even opening a high interest (relatively speaking) savings account can get about .6-1% and is as liquid as can be

Guaranteed? Good luck with that. 10 Best Low-Risk Investments for April 2021

thanks. I was hoping I was forgetting something that had the qualities I was looking for. I wasn't.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,175

Post#714 » by raysbookclub » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 am

JEIS (and others), I remember you talking about some green energy companies as long-term holds, like FCEL and PLUG and HYSR. You still holding those long-term or did you all get out a couple months back when many of them peaked? I'm still in, but wondering if I screwed up not selling a couple months ago.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,549

Post#715 » by th87 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:46 am

raysbookclub wrote:JEIS (and others), I remember you talking about some green energy companies as long-term holds, like FCEL and PLUG and HYSR. You still holding those long-term or did you all get out a couple months back when many of them peaked? I'm still in, but wondering if I screwed up not selling a couple months ago.

I'm holding for the insane potential if green energy truly becomes a thing. But definitely suffering now.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#716 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:01 am

raysbookclub wrote:JEIS (and others), I remember you talking about some green energy companies as long-term holds, like FCEL and PLUG and HYSR. You still holding those long-term or did you all get out a couple months back when many of them peaked? I'm still in, but wondering if I screwed up not selling a couple months ago.

FCEL broke my heart, man. I have to come out of retirement now.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
jschligs
General Manager

Post#717 » by jschligs » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:47 pm

FCEL kicked me in the nuts repeatedly. I was holding a decent amount of shares, but got cocky and kept buying monthly calls. Only to have 2 valued at far too much come crashing down to completely worthless.

Which is why I don't often do calls, I almost always lose in the end. I'm much more inclined to sell covered calls.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,958

Post#718 » by Stannis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Add GEVO to the list of green stocks going down hill.

Even with the downturn, they are still overvalued.

Oil is at 52w highs, but still great value. And that's what we are seeing these last few months. People going to stocks with better value. Even for tech stocks, people are sticking with the blue chips and are afraid to touch the small/mid cap ones.

Not financial advice, but I trimmed some of my green stocks like Enphase, First Solar, and Vestas Wind. I was never really into hydrogen.
Free Palestine
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#719 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Always good info/opinions in this thread. It's nice to see guys admit that not every pick is a winner. That's a rare thing online where everyone is usually the greatest investor ever. I've got my ass handed to me on some stocks the past couple of months. BOXL, NSPR (now doing a 15-1 reverse split) are two.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,961

Post#720 » by sidney lanier » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 pm

Yes, we've all taken our lumps over the years. It took me a long time to avoid the trap of selling winners and holding losers, which left me with a garbage portfolio.

Speaking of garbage, I haven't bought an energy stock for a long time but I see in my portfolio one company -- SM Energy (SM) -- that for some reason moves like crazy almost every day. It's very noticeable since Google Finance started showing movers on a percentage instead of a dollar basis. Seems like SM is almost always my most active stock, at least since it crawled out of the COVID gutter, when it was <$2, to now, when it trades in the $15-$18 range with what seems like a >5% move almost every day.

Maybe that's what all energy stocks are doing these days -- haven't really been paying attention -- but if I had nothing better to do and wanted a stock to day trade, this would be it (not that I recommend ever daytrading anything, which I don't). There must be a lot of people playing with this yo-yo.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks