ImageImage

PG Utah: No Defense, No Bench, No Victory

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,409

Re: PG Utah: No Defense, No Bench, No Victory 

Post#141 » by -Jragon- » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:10 pm

Siefer wrote:I think you guys are zeroing in on the wrong aspect of the D pretty consistently here. If you want to go after Bud, go after the refusal to switch guard screens (the drop scheme doesn't necessitate that). Go after the rotations that put DJA and Forbes on the court against Mitchell and Conley. When we were losing their guards, we got killed everywhere, not just from three.

The other thing is we weren't leaving guys wide open like last year and packing the paint mostly. Watch it again or the 9 min highlights - the were using back and front screens .. we dropped under too many times and their shooter gathered quickly and shot over arms
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,409

Post#142 » by -Jragon- » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:12 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:The Bucks tried different defensive tactics for short spurts throughout the game last night, it was there to see. When they deviated from the drop coverage, Bucks defenders didn't make quick decisions and were often caught out of position and made mistakes. The Jazz also did a great job setting different types of screens against Jrue in order to get their guards easy open shots.

Prez made a comment during the game thread that the team still isn't valuing possessions and Brook launching 12 threes is exhibit A. I want him taking the corner three when he's open but the 30 footer above the break threes need to end. Nobody guards him out there so him spacing out there really doesn't do anything for the offense. Like mattg said, move the ball and work the possession for a better shot, they're available.

We're 9 games into the season, I'm not worried in the slightest. I'm actually encouraged to see some experimentation so early in the season.

Yes, I can deal with Brook missing a normal range 3 but when he misses the long ones it feels like when Middleton misses long fadeaway 2s. We can get better shots, plus it's usually early in the clock.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#143 » by truly » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:18 pm

Isocleas2 wrote:The biggest impediment to the Bucks running something other than the drop defense (besides Bud) is Brook Lopez. He can't play in a switching defense its why the Bucks were able to originally sign him for basically peanuts. The drop defense resurrected his career and got him paid, but the fact remains he's a one trick pony. If you crave flexibility in defensive schemes the Bucks will need a new center.

You are right about brook but that wasn't the problem yesterday.Gobert is a fine matchup for him.The problem was not switching guard/guard screens.Like why aren't you switching against Conley/Clarkson?

Hopefully jrue calling it out changes Bud's mind.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#144 » by Siefer » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:09 pm

Isocleas2 wrote:The biggest impediment to the Bucks running something other than the drop defense (besides Bud) is Brook Lopez. He can't play in a switching defense its why the Bucks were able to originally sign him for basically peanuts. The drop defense resurrected his career and got him paid, but the fact remains he's a one trick pony. If you crave flexibility in defensive schemes the Bucks will need a new center.

Brook's basically splitting C minutes with Portis, fwiw. He's not the impediment, because the drop defense isn't the primary issue. Brook is limited, and getting older, but what we saw last night wasn't really about Brook, or the drop scheme - the systemic problem, I'd argue, is how we defend guard screens.

Going back and watching clips from last night, I was wrong to initially only flag hot shooting. Dean Maniatt was right to point out the Jazz were running the same action that the Heat killed us with last year, and that for all of our tinkering with schemes so far, we are still defending guard action the same way. We could still drop back into the paint, leave mediocre shooters open on the corners (where we're accepting we'll occasionally get killed), and either go under or switch guard screens up top. Now, only a few teams can really kill us with it, and we have bigger problems imo (I really have no idea what to make of our bench), but we have the personnel to do a better job on this kind of action, imo.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,609

Post#145 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:29 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
I blame Bud. How the hell does he play Thanasis relevant minutes? It’s not a coincidence that the Jazz were on fire every time he stepped on the court. He’s completely clueless on D.

Craig and Pat were both out.

DJW can defend.

It was wings and guards though. DJ cannot defend wings and guards.

The Bucks just need to play more disciplined and go over screens.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 197

Post#146 » by @ndrew » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:33 pm

You are probably disappointed, but this game could've easily go differently, should the Jazz missed some 3s and go cold. It happens with the Jazz a lot of times. This time we we're lucky.
I can question your players intensity at some point and I haven't seen any reason for Brook Lopez to shoot so many 3 pointers where it was obvious that we can't handle Yannis 1on1.
But it was not your defensive tactics. IMO
Jazz fan. All the luck for the rest of the games

Return to Milwaukee Bucks