ImageImage

Should we replace Bud now ? (58 season games remaining)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Should we replace Bud now ? 58 games remaining for the Season

Yes, now . Just fire him
46%
Yes, but after the trade deadline
7%
No, he is the best we could have
33%
No, we are the No1 seed for 2 years, I trust him
15%

Total votes: 136

mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Re: Should we replace Bud now ? (58 season games remaining) 

Post#141 » by mattg » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm

Bud has been tuned out and we've seen that as an in game coach he's really mediocre at best. The team needs a new voice because what Bud has been preaching leads to a new team setting a franchise record for 3s every few weeks and the bucks getting run off the court routinely by teams we should be better than. Mostly feels like the team is treading water and is truly NEVER in control of any game they are playing. That starts with the coaching staff. Get someone in who will force our guys to have some accountability and actually value possessions instead of just harping on the macro shot profile and just conceding that we are gonna have literally 10 horrific possessions per game that lead to run outs because Giannis is jacking 3s and driving wildly into entire teams at once while guys like Brook jack super deep 3s with 20 on the shot clock.

So sick of us going through a stretch where we struggle offensively and our guys just having multiple possessions in a row that are ISO/one pass into 3 pointer/no pass pull up 3 while Bud sits and watches and the game gets blown open because we refuse to settle down and just run offense to get a good, easy shot.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Post#142 » by emunney » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm

Cooler heads should prevail but this team is not on the same page defensively, and between losing Bled and whatever Brook has lost, has no identity. Jrue is ideal for a switching defense. So is Giannis. Khris is solid for it, so is Donte. Brook can't do it. Have to pick a path, but the steering wheel is locked as we come to the fork.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,667

Post#143 » by Prez » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:22 pm

You’re probably not gonna get some stud coaching candidate midseason like Finch or something but yeah it’s still early enough where you can fire Bud, promote Darvin or one of the other assistants with the clear message of defensive versatility/proactive adjustments, and potentially improve this season. Wish we still had Jenkins.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#144 » by skones » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:24 pm

I mean, this can go two ways. Either something is figured out and the team rallies behind it, or it snow balls. If it snow balls, there's no real argument to be made to keep Bud around. Horst didn't do him any favors but we're not in a position to sit around and wait on anything.

The problem, is that firing him at this point is little more than for show. Highly doubtful anyone is able to have the team implement any dramatic schematic changes on the ball club UNLESS the mid-season break is extended in the wake of a number of games being pushed back due to covid. I certainly wouldn't foresee his staff and an interim that comes from it changing much.
Blackbird211
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#145 » by Blackbird211 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:29 pm

Bud is like Buck Showalter was for the Yankees. Got them to the doorstep, but they needed Joe Torre to push them through the door. Bucks need their Joe Torre.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#146 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Stay the course. Seems like they are ready to turn the corner. No adjustments needed.

Sincerely,
Bud
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#147 » by JayMKE » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:01 pm

At this point I don’t think there is a future with Bud, he’s taken this team as far as he can take them and his schemes are now holding us back. Our 2 time MVP has looked progressively worse playing under Bud, he just doesn’t know how to use him and are really lucky Giannis didn’t put two and two together. Ham can take over now, I don’t expect a huge schematic change with him but can’t be any worse. I’m not sure I like Horst hiring another HC but I guess it will really be Lasry/Edens who will make the call probably without Horst even getting prior knowledge. No idea who I’d target in open market, you’d think you’d have coaches lining up around the block to coach Giannis. Charles Lee is a young guy, could give him a shot. Mike Dunlap has been a HC before and could carry the interim title.
FREE GIANNIS
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,851

Post#148 » by Fotis St » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:28 pm

This is after the Lakers game ...
I am sure some of you haven't seen it. Shaq is absolutely right about coaching and strategy and how coachable Giannis is. Barkley is right about Giannis needs to improve FTs and see him more at the post ... See its not efing rocket science. Bud needs to be fired and start something new. There is still alot of games left, we can do it.

Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#149 » by Fotis St » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:40 pm

If I were Bucks Coach tomorrow ... I would start Sam Merril and Nwora and play Giannis at the 5.

Forbes, DDV, Pat, DJW, Portis would be my 2nd squad. If Wilson doesn't play well , than Portis at PF and Brook at Center. That's it. If Sam Merrill doesn't play well , Forbes starts at SG. And playmaking 60% goes to Jrue, 30% to Giannis and 10% to Khris. Thats something I would like to try.

If Giannis at the 5 is not working than Portis should start at Center.

We should have been exploring these changes when we traded for Jrue. WTF are we doing ? Why are we using Jrue like Garry Payton III ?
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#150 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:08 pm

An unorthodox candidate I would consider for the job is Kevin McHale. I think he's intelligent enough and has remained around the game to understand the modern NBA. Main reason for McHale is that he can teach defense and the added benefit of having one of the greatest PF's ever (a low-post, mid-range monster) coach Gianni and teach him some fundamentals. The Sloan Sports dorks would call that a terrible hire or something but I think he would make a good coach for this team. Also could inject some mental toughness.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#151 » by Epicurus » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:55 pm

I hear that Larry Krystkowiak is ready and willing for another bite at the Buck apple. What harm would it do?
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#152 » by Fotis St » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:28 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:An unorthodox candidate I would consider for the job is Kevin McHale. I think he's intelligent enough and has remained around the game to understand the modern NBA. Main reason for McHale is that he can teach defense and the added benefit of having one of the greatest PF's ever (a low-post, mid-range monster) coach Gianni and teach him some fundamentals. The Sloan Sports dorks would call that a terrible hire or something but I think he would make a good coach for this team. Also could inject some mental toughness.

Yeah, Kevin McHale was my pick for us even before Kidd was fired. He has won it all, he knows the process , what it takes, he played the Modern 3p oriented with the Houston Rockets, he has a nice voice and he seems like he is a high character guy. He is a Legend and a HOF, his legendary presence can inspire players.

One more thing I remember is that 99% of the people here , didn't like him at all.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#153 » by RiotPunch » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:26 am

Epicurus wrote:I hear that Larry Krystkowiak is ready and willing for another bite at the Buck apple. What harm would it do?

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#154 » by Fotis St » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:22 pm

Don't known where else to post this , but since this is a coach thread .... Bucks should have already try some zone defense at some certain periods. I believe Giannis defending the top of the key on a Zone Defense could do so much damage for covering with his length alot of passing lanes and contesting with his length alot of shots. Especially after a time out on an in bound play with just seconds on the clock, if you switch it to Zone, nothing of what opponents said in the time out will work. Also it can be used to just to get opponents out of a team rythm and X&Os
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,223

Post#155 » by fan230 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:52 pm

Fotis St wrote:Don't known where else to post this , but since this is a coach thread .... Bucks should have already try some zone defense at some certain periods. I believe Giannis defending the top of the key on a Zone Defense could do so much damage for covering with his length alot of passing lanes and contesting with his length alot of shots. Especially after a time out on an in bound play with just seconds on the clock, if you switch it to Zone, nothing of what opponents said in the time out will work. Also it can be used to just to get opponents out of a team rythm and X&Os

I feel more comfortable with this than the switching defense.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,619

Post#156 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:55 pm

fan230 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:Don't known where else to post this , but since this is a coach thread .... Bucks should have already try some zone defense at some certain periods. I believe Giannis defending the top of the key on a Zone Defense could do so much damage for covering with his length alot of passing lanes and contesting with his length alot of shots. Especially after a time out on an in bound play with just seconds on the clock, if you switch it to Zone, nothing of what opponents said in the time out will work. Also it can be used to just to get opponents out of a team rythm and X&Os

A zone possession here or there should be fine but not for prolonged stretches. If Giannis is at the top of the zone, I would be concerned about rebounding.
#FreeChuckDiesel
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#157 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:00 pm

Fotis St wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:An unorthodox candidate I would consider for the job is Kevin McHale. I think he's intelligent enough and has remained around the game to understand the modern NBA. Main reason for McHale is that he can teach defense and the added benefit of having one of the greatest PF's ever (a low-post, mid-range monster) coach Gianni and teach him some fundamentals. The Sloan Sports dorks would call that a terrible hire or something but I think he would make a good coach for this team. Also could inject some mental toughness.

Yeah, Kevin McHale was my pick for us even before Kidd was fired. He has won it all, he knows the process , what it takes, he played the Modern 3p oriented with the Houston Rockets, he has a nice voice and he seems like he is a high character guy. He is a Legend and a HOF, his legendary presence can inspire players.

One more thing I remember is that 99% of the people here , didn't like him at all.

I also thought after Kidd he would be a good hire. Admittedly I didn't know much about Bud at the time other than he coached an ATL team made up of good-very good players to the ECF only to get swept. He's certainly a very good regular season coach, however he's reminiscent of D'Antoni in that he's rigid with his system.

I think McHale would understand the type of roster he has and has the HOF cache to be able to sit down with Gianni and tell him he needs to give up the ball and let Jrue and Khris be more of the primary initiators in the half-court. He's also a top-5 best ever PF especially on the mid/low block. He could certainly show Gianni some basic footwork fundamentals.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#158 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:01 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:
fan230 wrote:

A zone possession here or there should be fine but not for prolonged stretches. If Giannis is at the top of the zone, I would be concerned about rebounding.

Agreed, Brook is about 7'35" and routinely loses rebounds to smaller players.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,888

Post#159 » by sidney lanier » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:12 pm

Fotis St wrote:If I were Bucks Coach tomorrow ... I would start Sam Merril and Nwora and play Giannis at the 5.

Your coaching career would be short but memorable.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#160 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:05 am

Two games means nothing until it becomes a trend, but if Giannis stops shooting dumb shots it changes my opinion on Bud. If Bud can put a stop to that ****, maybe he's open to fixing his defensive philosophy in time for the playoffs.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks