ImageImage

PG: Bucks Blast Brogdon, Pacers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Re: PG: Bucks Blast Brogdon, Pacers 

Post#161 » by DingleJerry » Fri Feb 5, 2021 1:12 am

Sure maybe that's the case here. But I think you're way off if you don't think D doesn't talked about a ton on here. It's pretty much been the biggest thing people complain about, other than Pat.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,723

Post#162 » by AussieBuck » Fri Feb 5, 2021 1:43 am

BigO wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
BigO wrote:I thought the Pacers game was interesting because when I watched (most of the game) I was shocked that the Bucks did not switch, as it was so effective against Portland.
So the Bucks stayed with the drop down defense, BUT they did make a significant adjustment. Instead of squeezing the paint with the other defenders, the Bucks for the most part defended the three point line. That left some wide open twos, but I can live with that. The Pacers missed some of those, but even if they hit those, they wouldn't have been in the game.

As long as Bud is committed to guarding the three point line, there will be big improvement.

According to nba.com's stats tracking, 22.1% of IND's 3 pointers were wide open. That's higher than our season average, but they hit 33.3% of them instead of our 44% opponent average to this point. 19% of their shots were open (not wide open) threes. Again, that's higher than our season average, and they actually shot a little better on those last night (40%) than our opponents average (35%). So, unless I'm misreading the stats, the numbers don't bear out what you're saying. They actually got more open and wide open threes on frequency, they just didn't shoot 44% on them.

Interesting. I didn't watch the entire game and I think your figures may be skewed by the last quarter in which the scrubs played the entire time and Indiana thoroughly outplayed them.

But if you're right, then my question remains, why did the Bucks stop switching, as they did in the Portland game?

Probably because we were playing a team that was just going to spam pick and roll all game with a guard who wasn't going to be able to use the big for cover launch long range bombs. This was a rare team that fits Bud's scheme.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#163 » by HKPackFan » Fri Feb 5, 2021 8:31 am

Eric N. Had a really interesting article about Giannis yesterday.

I'm paraphrasing everything:

Giannis said his preferred style of play is attacking, being aggressive, shooting 3s, not caring if there are 3 guys, but just going out and playing aggressive.

He doesn't enjoy being patient and just taking what the defense gives him. But he said he's maturing, he's no longer 24 or 25 but a year older and continues to learn, and mature. He's not yet comfortable and not yet figured things out yet, but he's happy to be taking the next step in being a leader.

He's going to play according to what his team needs, if they need him to be a distributor and be patient, he'll do it, but if the team needs him to go get 35pts he'll do that.

It's a worthwhile read to see his attitude.

One side of me was a little worried that his preferred style of play is hero ball, run through a wall and shoot 3s.

Yet another side of me was happy to see he's admitted that he Will change his style of play according to what the team needs, and if that means just finding shooters and passing being patient, he's willing to do that.

This game vs the pacers his style of play was clear and intentional and he made a concerted effort to not go into Giannis hero ball mode.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#164 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 5, 2021 1:51 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:
skones wrote:
You are literally clueless.

A clueless guy doesn't hurt anyone , since we have so many "genius" personnel and owners.
Bud and 12+ "genius" assistant coaches and the owners are riding Giannis d**** for 2 years and they don't give a quarter of Giannis effort into their efing business. So my eyes are bleeding watching awful basketball for the last 10 games or so. I can't stand lazyness any more. Excuse me for being passionate to win a ring, and expressing my thoughts, maybe I should just settle watching Giannis putting up numbers and a show. Sorry I am not like that, he is a generational talent and its a basketball crime to not do their job and build a team to make it to the Finals.

You are clueless because Merrill and Nwora were both assigned to G-League yesterday meaning they were not available. Laziness is not looking that up before you post.

Didn't know they were playing and I didn't look it up cause I read that Herd doesn't participate.
So excuse me and let me rephrase ... how incompetent to sent Merrill and Nwora to a G-League Team, while they are probably top 5-7 shooters in Bucks Roster.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#165 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 2:57 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Eric N. Had a really interesting article about Giannis yesterday.

Giannis said his preferred style of play is attacking, being aggressive, shooting 3s, not caring if there are 3 guys, but just going out and playing aggressive.

He doesn't enjoy being patient and just taking what the defense gives him. But he said he's maturing, he's no longer 24 or 25 but a year older and continues to learn, and mature. He's not yet comfortable and not yet figured things out yet, but he's happy to be taking the next step in being a leader.

He's going to play according to what his team needs, if they need him to be a distributor and be patient, he'll do it, but if the team needs him to go get 35pts he'll do that.

One side of me was a little worried that his preferred style of play is hero ball, run through a wall and shoot 3s.

Yet another side of me was happy to see he's admitted that he Will change his style of play according to what the team needs, and if that means just finding shooters and passing being patient, he's willing to do that.

This game vs the pacers his style of play was clear and intentional and he made a concerted effort to not go into Giannis hero ball mode.
I dont mind elite level players going Hero Mode, but i think we all know he needs a Hero Mode arsenal of go to moves for that to work. Blazza mentioned it above. I love that he has playmaking and passing ability. Work on that mid range fade, a turnaround hook and a floater and now he doesnt have to run toward a wall.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#166 » by TD75 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:31 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:Eric N. Had a really interesting article about Giannis yesterday.

I dont mind elite level players going Hero Mode, but i think we all know he needs a Hero Mode arsenal of go to moves for that to work. Blazza mentioned it above. I love that he has playmaking and passing ability. Work on that mid range fade, a turnaround hook and a floater and now he doesnt have to run toward a wall.

Exactly. If Giannis wants to have higher usage and be more aggressive he needs to justify that by generating options for his team and himself. For now, he only has 2-3 moves that are highly efficient, almost all associated with driving to the basket. He needs to develop his game a lot more.

This interview was somewhat revealing. I am eager to see if he will continue to learn to play complimentary to his team or if he is going to revert to old habits and a high usage high turnover rate game.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#167 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:43 pm

Pretty interesting to note that age 26-27 tends to have a strong correlation with superstars taking that next step in their games for the betterment of the team and hopefully this means the same for Giannis. I guess that's why they say that a player's absolute peak/prime years tend to be in that 27-31 range before their athleticism starts to diminish. Lebron was notoriously passive until that 2012 Celtics series where we all finally saw the light bulb switch on and he started to really understand how to switch between play-making and scoring depending on the situation.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#168 » by crowhead76 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:31 pm

Fotis St wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:
A clueless guy doesn't hurt anyone , since we have so many "genius" personnel and owners.
Bud and 12+ "genius" assistant coaches and the owners are riding Giannis d**** for 2 years and they don't give a quarter of Giannis effort into their efing business. So my eyes are bleeding watching awful basketball for the last 10 games or so. I can't stand lazyness any more. Excuse me for being passionate to win a ring, and expressing my thoughts, maybe I should just settle watching Giannis putting up numbers and a show. Sorry I am not like that, he is a generational talent and its a basketball crime to not do their job and build a team to make it to the Finals.

You are clueless because Merrill and Nwora were both assigned to G-League yesterday meaning they were not available. Laziness is not looking that up before you post.

Didn't know they were playing and I didn't look it up cause I read that Herd doesn't participate.
So excuse me and let me rephrase ... how incompetent to sent Merrill and Nwora to a G-League Team, while they are probably top 5-7 shooters in Bucks Roster.

Merrill and Nwora have both gotten run in blow outs this season so it would have been odd that they did not in this game, if you watched the game you would have known they were not available because it was talked about. If you are just looking at the box score you should have seen that they were inactive and dug further, In your rant you say you are "tired of lazyness" which you then exemplified yourself not only by choosing not to do a quick Google search before you posted, but also by spelling laziness incorrectly. Look stuff up if you don't know, you can do it very quickly from the same device you posted your lazy and uneducated post from.

I agree with you that Merrill and Nwora are probably the best pure shooters on this team, however they are nowhere near ready to help this team when it comes to playoff basketball, teams would expose them immediately. Getting them some run in the G-League right now is absolutely the correct thing to do.

If you had watched the game, the basketball you would have seen was by no means awful. This group is starting to gel and figure each other out. They are growing and trying new things and it is exciting to watch. Winning in the playoffs is the mindset of this team this year and they are trying things to achieve that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is ugly but the entire regular season this year is practice for the playoffs, get use to it.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#169 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:36 pm

It's fascinating how honest he is in assessing his progression as a player. Just makes you realize that he still has a lot of room to grow until everything clicks and the game slows down to the point where he'll know exactly what to do.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#170 » by HKPackFan » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:37 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:

That's why I was a little nervous about his preference to go hero ball, because he hasnt developed this exact skill set required you mentioned.

But at the same time there's a lot of optimism in that he realized hero ball wasn't winning playoff games,and some growth was happening on the mental aspect of the game.

Im happy with his play the last couple games, but I do still hope he continues to work on the those baseline jumpers and post moves.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#171 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 5, 2021 10:49 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:

Merrill and Nwora have both gotten run in blow outs this season so it would have been odd that they did not in this game, if you watched the game you would have known they were not available because it was talked about. If you are just looking at the box score you should have seen that they were inactive and dug further, In your rant you say you are "tired of lazyness" which you then exemplified yourself not only by choosing not to do a quick Google search before you posted, but also by spelling laziness incorrectly. Look stuff up if you don't know, you can do it very quickly from the same device you posted your lazy and uneducated post from.

I agree with you that Merrill and Nwora are probably the best pure shooters on this team, however they are nowhere near ready to help this team when it comes to playoff basketball, teams would expose them immediately. Getting them some run in the G-League right now is absolutely the correct thing to do.

If you had watched the game, the basketball you would have seen was by no means awful. This group is starting to gel and figure each other out. They are growing and trying new things and it is exciting to watch. Winning in the playoffs is the mindset of this team this year and they are trying things to achieve that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is ugly but the entire regular season this year is practice for the playoffs, get use to it.

How old are you ? 15-18 ? (If not) How come you are so cocky ? What's your background crowhead76 with 80 posts since 2017 ? It's a sports basketball forum , I didn't know I am not allowed to type a word (2nd language) incorrectly and I am somehow uneducated ? I could bet you are an insider , someone close to the team or staff. Did I hurt your feelings criticising our staff ? Well get used to it , cause I am not stopping. You will not stop me expressing my basketball soul in here. And for your information I watched the whole game on replay. I didn't watch the box score you arrogant. If I had looked at the box score I would have seen that they were not available. And watching the game the bench players are not sitting nowhere near each other, the most viewers can see are those 12-14 assistant coaches. Anyway you highlighted so much on Sam and Nwora and completely ignored one important thing I mentioned. "BUD DIDN'T COACH AT ALL OUR ON COURT PLAYERS AT THE 4TH QUARTER" ... OK ? Did you see that or am I wrong ? He absolutely didn't care what our 3rd string players were doing. Our 4th quarter was a disgrace of professional basketball from the Bucks and Bud was just watching his "house" get burned.
And in the previous game he let Thanasis bring the ball up for multiple possessions and playmake. This is unprofessional and it is not helping the team or the players to improve or learn anything.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#172 » by DingleJerry » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:15 pm

You're upset the end of a blowout game with the end of the benches playing was poor quality and sloppy basketball. And that's some indictment on the coach. I mean, really? Have you not watched end of a blowout game before, that's how they all are. R e l a x.

Picking on the spelling for a known overseas poster I agree is not needed. But he's not wrong that for you to call others lazy while you ran to post a gotcha post on bud without doing your very easy due diligence to see why your post was 100% incorrect is quite hypocrite/ironic. You were essentially being lazy in how you were calling out other laziness. It's ok to just take the loss sometimes and admit one is wrong.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#173 » by crowhead76 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:35 pm

Fotis St wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:

How old are you ? 15-18 ? (If not) How come you are so cocky ? What's your background crowhead76 with 80 posts since 2017 ? It's a sports basketball forum , I didn't know I am not allowed to type a word (2nd language) incorrectly and I am somehow uneducated ? I could bet you are an insider , someone close to the team or staff. Did I hurt your feelings criticising our staff ? Well get used to it , cause I am not stopping. You will not stop me expressing my basketball soul in here. And for your information I watched the whole game on replay. I didn't watch the box score you arrogant. If I had looked at the box score I would have seen that they were not available. And watching the game the bench players are not sitting nowhere near each other, the most viewers can see are those 12-14 assistant coaches. Anyway you highlighted so much on Sam and Nwora and completely ignored one important thing I mentioned. "BUD DIDN'T COACH AT ALL OUR ON COURT PLAYERS AT THE 4TH QUARTER" ... OK ? Did you see that or am I wrong ? He absolutely didn't care what our 3rd string players where doing. Our 4th quarter was a disgrace of professional basketball from the Bucks and Bud was just watching his "house" get burned.
And in the previous game he let Thanasis bring the ball up for multiple possessions and playmake. This is unprofessional and it is not helping the team or the players to improve or to learn anything.

I certainly hope you can appreciate the irony of your original post and calling out laziness. You went on a rant about not playing Merrill and Nwora without bothering to look up why they did not play. If you watched the game on replay you must have done it with the sound off in the 4th quarter when the announcers talked about the G-League assignments. Calling you out for a bad take on a sports forum should be expected, your inability to accept your mistake, say sorry, and move on simply demonstrates who the arrogant and cocky one is. I love Bucks basketball and can appreciate quality critique, but your post was over the top incorrect and you deserved to be called out. I was not the first to call you out, I just helped explain your inaccuracy.

As far as Bud not coaching in the 4th versus the Pacers, I can absolutely appreciate your take. He did call one timeout to talk things over but he did let them play very loose. I would agree that there were some missed coaching opportunities.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#174 » by Prez » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:36 pm

Jesus, I dislike Bud too but how do you even summon this level of hatred in a blowout win lmao. It’s not that serious
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#175 » by -Jragon- » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
drone3 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Nightmare matchup for Brogdon. He beats up small guys or drives past bigger guys, Jrue is faster and stronger and that low release means he can't get a shot off either. :D
Brogdon just couldn't shake off Jrue. Several times he just gave up and told Sabonis to shoot.

I think it was that Brogdon's not used to quick guards with the kind of length that Jrue brings to the table.

We're still missing the overall point that Brogdon isn't that good. He has 2 moves which can surprise teams in a random regular season game but any defender that studies or in a playoff series where you analyze everything can take away those opportunities.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#176 » by Jez2983 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:00 am

BigO wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
You must've missed the majority of post game threads, then.

It appears he has missed his axe to grind.

Good attempt to deflect and not address my point. Just look at this 8 page thread and tell me how many comments related to the Bucks defense. Virtually none. Instead, as usual, it's about the offense. There's few on here, like Fortis, who see that the defense is the problem, not the bench, not Giannis shooting threes (all of which are valid, but not that significant) and not the offense.

So who has the axe to grind?

Deflect? Sounds like you're trying to have an argument using politician speak. Is it possible that people aren't talking about it in the post game thread because they were more interested in the positives we're showing on offense?

I'm not going to tell you how to read, but I've been enjoying analysis that isn't just 'our D is crap'. We know the defense on the perimeter is crap. That's why people are trying to trade lopez and DJA on the trade board.

If you think telling the board that they aren't talking about D enough will fix Bud's scheme, I'm interested to see how that plays out.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#177 » by crkone » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:14 am

Jez2983 wrote:
BigO wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
It appears he has missed his axe to grind.

Good attempt to deflect and not address my point. Just look at this 8 page thread and tell me how many comments related to the Bucks defense. Virtually none. Instead, as usual, it's about the offense. There's few on here, like Fortis, who see that the defense is the problem, not the bench, not Giannis shooting threes (all of which are valid, but not that significant) and not the offense.

So who has the axe to grind?

Deflect? Sounds like you're trying to have an argument using politician speak. Is it possible that people aren't talking about it in the post game thread because they were more interested in the positives we're showing on offense?

I'm not going to tell you how to read, but I've been enjoying analysis that isn't just 'our D is crap'. We know the defense on the perimeter is crap. That's why people are trying to trade lopez and DJA on the trade board.

If you think telling the board that they aren't talking about D enough will fix Bud's scheme, I'm interested to see how that plays out.

There's a column on The Athletic that we discussed in the other thread about the defense that he can read while he draws a bath with a dry glass of chard.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#178 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 6, 2021 11:32 am

-Jragon- wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
drone3 wrote:Brogdon just couldn't shake off Jrue. Several times he just gave up and told Sabonis to shoot.

I think it was that Brogdon's not used to quick guards with the kind of length that Jrue brings to the table.

We're still missing the overall point that Brogdon isn't that good. He has 2 moves which can surprise teams in a random regular season game but any defender that studies or in a playoff series where you analyze everything can take away those opportunities.

Uh... wrong. Brogdon's one of the more skilled players in the NBA and is a very good all-around and versatile player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Milwaukee Bucks