ImageImage

PG Cleveland: Bucks Roll to 4th Straight

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,994

Re: PG Cleveland: Bucks Roll to 4th Straight 

Post#41 » by Daver » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:30 am

Think forbes replaces donte at 2 spot before end of feb.Only asking cause he would be that perfect shooter between holiday n midds
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#42 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Feb 7, 2021 2:12 pm

Daver wrote:Think forbes replaces donte at 2 spot before end of feb.Only asking cause he would be that perfect shooter between holiday n midds

I'm strongly against it. Last thing we need is to allow teams to get hot early, and Forbes nonexistent defense would do that.

Buds is using him correctly the last couple of weeks. He waits for the right match up to bring in Forbes, sometimes he didn't see the floor until the 2nd quarter.

Also, Donte is shooting 41% from 3.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,994

Post#43 » by Daver » Sun Feb 7, 2021 2:40 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Daver wrote:Think forbes replaces donte at 2 spot before end of feb.Only asking cause he would be that perfect shooter between holiday n midds

I'm strongly against it. Last thing we need is to allow teams to get hot early, and Forbes nonexistent defense would do that.

Buds is using him correctly the last couple of weeks. He waits for the right match up to bring in Forbes, sometimes he didn't see the floor until the 2nd quarter.

Fair enough on that donte is a better defender by no means am i a donte fan i think he shouldnt even be a starter n on most championship caliber teams he wouldnt be but maybe on milwaukee hes tbeir best option
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#44 » by CharityStripe34 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:18 pm

Don't know about anyone else but Gianni had an absolutely beautiful up-and-under completely faking Prince out and laying it in. He should be able to do things like that against about 96% of front-court players.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,191

Post#45 » by skones » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:35 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:

Donte has shot 33.4% from distance since January 1st. His numbers are are kept afloat by the first 5 games of the season in which he shot 61.5% on 26 attempts. It's fair to criticize his shooting at this point.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#46 » by chonestown » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:36 pm

Good night for the free agent acquisitions, anyone who speaks counter to this is attempting to sensor me. Which I will not take, frankly.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#47 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Feb 7, 2021 6:52 pm

I totally agree with this. Forbes’ talents are maximized when he’s on the floor with Giannis and I just don’t think Donte is anything more than a spark plug off of the bench. He’s a good guy to have on your team but the lack of shooting and his slow first step when trying to create off the dribble have limited him to a bench role level player.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,191

Post#48 » by skones » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:01 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Don't know about anyone else but Gianni had an absolutely beautiful up-and-under completely faking Prince out and laying it in. He should be able to do things like that against about 96% of front-court players.

Emunney I believe had questions about Giannis being able to maneuver the ball like other wings with large hands sometime last week I believe. I have a feeling that ball fake made him giddy.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#49 » by tedbrogen » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:15 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:

I totally agree with this. Forbes’ talents are maximized when he’s on the floor with Giannis and I just don’t think Donte is anything more than a spark plug off of the bench. He’s a good guy to have on your team but the lack of shooting and his slow first step when trying to create off the dribble have limited him to a bench role level player.

Not to mention, Forbes can be hidden more on the defensive side with the starters while DDV brings defense that the bench desperately needs.

The Bucks best offensive lineup is probably Jrue/Forbes/Midds/Giannis/Portis. They don’t have to start that lineup but they should really try it out a bunch before the postseason. Teams might attack Forbes and Portis on the other end but the other three should help to mitigate that some.

In the playoffs, the good teams will force DDV and Brook to hit threes on high volume when Giannis is out there. Forbes and Portis are far more likely to make other teams pay for that approach.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#50 » by tedbrogen » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:18 pm

It was crazy encouraging that on a couple Giannis drives just him looking and faking passes had the defense trying to jump out in anticipation which left Giannis with easy layups and dunks.

Pass first Giannis is going to get more easy open looks than head down driving into the wall Giannis.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#51 » by Bucksfan28 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:36 pm

I've been on the Forbes bandwagon and previously floated the idea of him starting, but the (limited) initial lineup data suggests there may be a problem w/ he & Jrue playing together.

(5-man) Forbes +
Brook/GA/Khris/Donte - 129 ORTG, 105 DRTG (26 mins)
Brook/GA/Khris/Jrue - 109 O, 110 D (30 mins)
Brook/GA/Donte/Jrue - 95 O, 126 D (18 mins)
Portis/GA/Khris/Jrue - 74 O, 126 D (18 mins)

(4-man) Forbes +
Brook/GA/Khris - 122 O, 108 D (61 mins)
Brook/Khris/Donte - 133 O, 100 D (38 mins)
GA/Khris/Donte - 121 O, 100 D (31 mins)
Portis/GA/Donte - 147 O, 75 D (29 mins) :o :o :o
Brook/Khris/Jrue - 126 O, 117 D (52 mins)
Brook/GA/Jrue - 109 O, 119 D (61 mins)
GA/Khris/Jrue - 98 O, 117 D (51 mins)
Bobby/Khris/Jrue - 107 O, 117 D (40 mins)

(3-man) Forbes +
Brook/GA - 128 O, 121 D (144 mins)
GA/Khris - 111 O, 112 D (88 mins)
GA/Donte - 134 O, 112 D (132 mins)
Brook/Khris - 130 O, 110 D (99 mins)
Khris/Jrue - 113 O, 119 D (83 mins)
GA/Jrue - 111 O, 120 D (90 mins)
Brook/Jrue - 115 O, 117 D (91 mins)

(2-man) Forbes +
Jrue - 112 O, 117 D (141 mins)
GA - 126 O, 116 D (214 mins)
Brook - 125 O, 115 D (207 mins)
DD - 126 O, 111 D (171 mins)
Khris - 121 O, 112 D (146 mins)
Bobby - 111 O, 103 D(150 mins)

When him and Pat play together the numbers are great across various lineups. May be best to keep him with the bench unit for now.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#52 » by Prez » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:44 pm

I just wanna see Jrue/Donte/Khris/Giannis more with other options besides Brook, just experiment there. That 4 man group has only seen 27 minutes on court without Brook, +18.8 net rating. Obviously too small of a sample but that’s why you need to see what you have. Portis in for Brook, or go small and switchy with Craig in for Brook, whatever it might be.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#53 » by Bucksfan28 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:06 pm

Prez wrote:I just wanna see Jrue/Donte/Khris/Giannis more with other options besides Brook, just experiment there. That 4 man group has only seen 27 minutes on court without Brook, +18.8 net rating. Obviously too small of a sample but that’s why you need to see what you have. Portis in for Brook, or go small and switchy with Craig in for Brook, whatever it might be.

The Big 3 sans Donte also has some promising numbers.
w/ DJA & Portis - +23.6 Net (51 minutes)
w/ Pat & Portis - +22.3 Net (23 minutes)

Will be interesting to see how these change with more data
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#54 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:27 pm

skones wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

Donte has shot 33.4% from distance since January 1st. His numbers are are kept afloat by the first 5 games of the season in which he shot 61.5% on 26 attempts. It's fair to criticize his shooting at this point.

Your living in the past man. Donte is 7 for his last 13.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#55 » by tedbrogen » Sun Feb 7, 2021 10:31 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
Prez wrote:I just wanna see Jrue/Donte/Khris/Giannis more with other options besides Brook, just experiment there. That 4 man group has only seen 27 minutes on court without Brook, +18.8 net rating. Obviously too small of a sample but that’s why you need to see what you have. Portis in for Brook, or go small and switchy with Craig in for Brook, whatever it might be.

Interesting. Maybe the Bucks best offensive lineup is DJA/Jrue/Midds/Giannis/ Portis ?

Teams are not going to let DJA have wide open catch and shoot threes and he can attack close outs. Jrue gets to play off ball.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#56 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 12:16 am

tedbrogen wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

Interesting. Maybe the Bucks best offensive lineup is DJA/Jrue/Midds/Giannis/ Portis ?

Teams are not going to let DJA have wide open catch and shoot threes and he can attack close outs. Jrue gets to play off ball.

Yea I think that lineup has like a 131 ORTG.
buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#57 » by buckbeer » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:22 am

Read on Twitter
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#58 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Feb 9, 2021 12:49 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
skones wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

Your living in the past man. Donte is 7 for his last 13.
10 for his last 19.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#59 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Feb 9, 2021 1:35 pm

Forbes is great when his shot is going in but you can only play him for stretches when the other team doesn't have a 5th man who can abuse him, which is not very often in the NBA. I don't see him on the floor very much in the POs when teams start planning and targeting specific players.

DDV on the other hand will stand his ground no matter what, and he will help in different ways at both ends. He's not a quality starter yet but it's hard to see him as a negative or a significant risk even when he's having a bad shooting night. Not the type to take 10 threes either.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks