ImageImage

G-League Thread (Nwora, Merrill, Diakite)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Re: G-League Thread (Nwora, Merrill, Diakite) 

Post#221 » by crkone » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:12 pm

Just a reminder that about a year younger than Mamadi is right now in the G-League, Christian Wood was putting up 29/14/2.4/2.2/1.1.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#222 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:31 pm

Difference to me is that Diakite couldn't be a more opposite player than Wood (see: defense).
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#223 » by emunney » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:33 pm

crkone wrote:Just a reminder that about a year younger than Mamadi is right now in the G-League, Christian Wood was putting up 29/14/2.4/2.2/1.1.

I said at the time he was the most dominant G League big since Whiteside. That said, Diakite statistically has been close to that level. Scoring less, but shooting better, blocking more shots, positive A/TO ratio, all in a league with a higher talent concentration due to the reduced number of teams, and in his first professional action.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#224 » by skones » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm always extra cautious with guys that put up monster numbers in SL and G-League, but man, at this point I'm wondering how in the hell this kid didn't get drafted. Couldn't have just been the age thing.

To me, more than anything, is that the spacing the g-league and the NBA are providing is really allowing his overall athleticism to shine through. He looks FAR more explosive than the system at Virginia ever really allowed him to be with any level of consistency. With all of the spacing he's being provided now, he's sticking out like a sore thumb. You also had the lack of the NCAA tourney and wider exposure for a guy playing for a 3/4/5 seed which we all know can do wonders for overall stock.

Other reasons:
Pretty substantial decline in block rate with the presence of Jay Huff
Size of a 4, game of a 5. Lacks necessary bulk right now.

With that being said, firmly in the camp of keep him in the G-League for the rest of the bubble. Then bring him in. Then again, I would have left Merrill down there too. Nwora with the ankle I get.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#225 » by JayMKE » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:43 pm

I’m sure everybody has said or thought it but it would be really nice to see Diakite get some time this season, he’s an older rookie so I’d hope he’d get a chance to get fast tracked.
FREE GIANNIS
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#226 » by crkone » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:37 am

Damn Diakite comes in and scores 9 straight making the Swarm have to call a TO.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,605

Post#227 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:53 am

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bucks give Diakite a 2 or 3 year deal to lock him up. It’s mutually beneficial for both parties.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,476

Post#228 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:54 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Difference to me is that Diakite couldn't be a more opposite player than Wood (see: defense).

I think "execution" would be the better term. Wood wasn't a terrible defender, but he got by on pure overwhelming talent, because he was clueless in how to run a system.

Diakite is extremely smart and disciplined.
skones
RealGM

Post#229 » by skones » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:57 am

Diakite is going to push Lakeland into the playoffs with two of the three games remaining against the bottom two teams in the league with a full game lead in the 8th slot. A single elim tourney should be some fun.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,671

Post#230 » by Prez » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:57 am

BroncoBuck wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bucks give Diakite a 2 or 3 year deal to lock him up. It’s mutually beneficial for both parties.

I’ll be pretty pissed if they don’t get him on a cheap 2 year (starting after this year) deal. Im with skones that you let him finish out the g league bubble, but I desperately want to see him get a few minutes with the main squad after that.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,476

Post#231 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:58 am

skones wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I'm always extra cautious with guys that put up monster numbers in SL and G-League, but man, at this point I'm wondering how in the hell this kid didn't get drafted. Couldn't have just been the age thing.

To me, more than anything, is that the spacing the g-league and the NBA are providing is really allowing his overall athleticism to shine through. He looks FAR more explosive than the system at Virginia ever really allowed him to be with any level of consistency. With all of the spacing he's being provided now, he's sticking out like a sore thumb. You also had the lack of the NCAA tourney and wider exposure for a guy playing for a 3/4/5 seed which we all know can do wonders for overall stock.

Other reasons:

With that being said, firmly in the camp of keep him in the G-League for the rest of the bubble. Then bring him in. Then again, I would have left Merrill down there too. Nwora with the ankle I get.

Merrill was only recalled because Adams went into protocol.

I agree with you that Diakite can stay in the G League, it's a short season, he'll get lots of time to practice with the Bucks when it's over, and maybe even play.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,605

Post#232 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:11 am

It’s actually pretty incredible how quickly perception has changed in regards to the Bucks/Herd dynamic from that first year where they immediately gave Bronson Koenig a 2 way when it was obvious he had no shot. Kudos to whichever part of the scouting department has taken charge of the operation.

Also, props to Horst on this year’s draft. Sam and Nwora both look like they can at least be end of the bench guys in the league, and the Diakite undrafted signing looks brilliant. If you can hit on those guys, you have plenty of leeway dealing firsts.
skones
RealGM

Post#233 » by skones » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:13 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
skones wrote:

Other reasons:

Merrill was only recalled because Adams went into protocol.

I agree with you that Diakite can stay in the G League, it's a short season, he'll get lots of time to practice with the Bucks when it's over, and maybe even play.

Adams played 18 minutes in the entire month of February. I think we would have been alright.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#234 » by Siefer » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:39 am

Read on Twitter
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,302

Post#235 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:42 am

Siefer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe the front office learned their lesson. I'll believe it when I see it.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
drdrG
Rookie
And1: 784

Post#236 » by drdrG » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:47 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
Siefer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read this and sadly my first thought goes to Lasry did something illicit regarding improper benefits and we are going to lose another draft pick...
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#237 » by H2tObes » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:47 am

Think Bucks understand what they have here, especially given time to reflect on the Christian Wood situation.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#238 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:16 am

drdrG wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
Siefer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read this and sadly my first thought goes to Lasry did something illicit regarding improper benefits and we are going to lose another draft pick...

Meh, let's not jump to any conclusions on this. There's literally no information there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#239 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:21 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Difference to me is that Diakite couldn't be a more opposite player than Wood (see: defense).

I love Diakite and think he can become a fine backup in the NBA, but Wood is obviously a more gifted player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,703

Post#240 » by tydett » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:53 pm

There's obviously something about those Virginia guys. Tony Bennett is a hell of a coach, and players who stick around there clearly get ready to play with the big boys (even if it hurts their immediate draft stock).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks