jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Re: PG Tampa: Brook’s Corpse = Loss 

Post#181 » by jschligs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:29 pm

emunney wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
He's not exactly a starting shooting guard, either, though.

Based on what?

People **** on Danny Green like he hasn't started on 3 championship teams. At some point the counterfactuals just have to be pushed aside. Nobody's starting 5 all-stars but that's the standard we want everybody to live up to.

It blows my mind that people don't realize we have Jrue, Giannis, Midds. We're not going to have an all-star caliber SG. That just isn't possible. For what we have in the big 3, Donte is a fine option as a starting SG.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#182 » by M-C-G » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm

I thought it was always my fault the bucks were losing, because I was watching. Turns out, it's not my fault. Thanks FSNWI and YTTV!
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,870

Post#183 » by Fotis St » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Three minutes left, Bucks absolutely need a bucket, and they draw up a play for Pat. I understand he was on a heater last night but that kinda illustrates where the roster is at this point.

Thankfully I have stopped watching LIVE games at 03:00 this season, so I wake up as a normal person, take my kids to school, makes a coffee and watch the whole game on replay in NBA League Pass.

So my man, after the time out when we were desperate for a basket , Bud draws a play for a quick 3 for Pat C to bail us out. I was disgusted. Although Pat C got the ball and shot it (miss) I still believe it was a bad look cause Pat C had to turn 135 degrees to his right to square up to the rim and shoot it. As I saw it on the fly, I thought that we are asking too much from a shooter , I think this play doesn't give enough time to the shooter to set his feet as he wants. It can be an option where we are down 2 and there are ONLY 2 sec on the clock to end the game.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,722

Post#184 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:
Siefer wrote:
Giannis makes his share of goofy mistakes (hello hand-check fouls!) on defense, but a big goal of the drop-zone was to leverage free safety Giannis. Turning smart, but mobility-challenged goliaths into assets was definitely part of the plan, but by and large, the point of the whole scheme is Giannis as roving help whirlwind. I'm sure Giannis found ways to piss off Hill in particular, but I sincerely doubt his role on defense had anything to do with it.

My point, which you missed, is "roving help whirlwind" is a plan which isn't championship caliber. We've seen those results. Everyone knows Giannis is doing what the coach is telling him. I totally understand the plan. Unfortunately, the plan sucks unless your goal is to feast on the bottom half of the league.

Yeah, we've seen those results and they've been an absolutely elite defensive formula that translates the last time we had an actual postseason and not Summer League Bubble play. I should probably just have the DRTG numbers ready to copy and paste at all times, but again, the Bucks have held every single team they've faced in the playoffs to significantly under their regular season offensive efficiency except for once (112.5 RS vs. a 115.1 postseason rating against Miami). I can't imagine how people think that Giannis' role on defense, that literally won him DPOY, is in any way the problem.

Problem is his free-safety roaming hurts when the team goes up against other high-level wing scorers who abused guys like Middleton and even Brogdon (Kawhi/Butler/Durant), and Gianni is stuck in the corner against a shooting big. Much like his offense, I'd like to see him begin to seek out tougher defensive assignments and not just acquiesce to Bud's philosophy. It's a much needed adjustment against the stronger competition, in my view.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#185 » by truly » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm

Bud leaving Lopez out there in the closing minutes to try and defend siakam on his own was criminal.
Meanwhile Giannis who has made Siakam look useless every time they matchup against each other for the past 3 years is in the corner watching him score again and again.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Thanos1985
Junior
And1: 409

Post#186 » by Thanos1985 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:25 pm

galena wrote:We shoulda kept Bledsoe as a super 6th man somehow

I still believe that bledsoe has a lot of value, if he can be controled . We miss him a lot on defence . But Bud couldnt
handle him not to do the wild things he was doing. Shooting 3s with 17 seconds left on clock, killing momentum, driving like a horse
with tunnel vision, not seeing anything else. If someone could dicipline his game he is an A+ defender and he has a lot of value as a player
galena
Junior
And1: 62

Post#187 » by galena » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
emunney wrote:I soft ignore anybody I notice saying Donte is bad. It's a strong signal you don't know what you're looking at.

Based on what?

He doesn’t seem to have an exceptional jumpshot.
"I guess..."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,974

Post#188 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:41 pm

galena wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Based on what?

40% from outside on five attempts says otherwise.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Post#189 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm

Thanos1985 wrote:

I still believe that bledsoe has a lot of value, if he can be controled . We miss him a lot on defence . But Bud couldnt
handle him not to do the wild things he was doing. Shooting 3s with 17 seconds left on clock, killing momentum, driving like a horse
with tunnel vision, not seeing anything else. If someone could dicipline his game he is an A+ defender and he has a lot of value as a player

Bud got way more out of him than New Orleans is.

Bledsoe is simply too limited mentally.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#190 » by Siefer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
Siefer wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote: I guarantee you it pissed smart guys off like Wes and Hill that Giannis was allowed to do whatever he wanted on defense with no accountability.

Giannis makes his share of goofy mistakes (hello hand-check fouls!) on defense, but a big goal of the drop-zone was to leverage free safety Giannis. Turning smart, but mobility-challenged goliaths into assets was definitely part of the plan, but by and large, the point of the whole scheme is Giannis as roving help whirlwind. I'm sure Giannis found ways to piss off Hill in particular, but I sincerely doubt his role on defense had anything to do with it.

My point, which you missed, is "roving help whirlwind" is a plan which isn't championship caliber. We've seen those results. Everyone knows Giannis is doing what the coach is telling him. I totally understand the plan. Unfortunately, the plan sucks unless your goal is to feast on the bottom half of the league.

What motivated this post? You're not under attack. I went back and read your original post, and, you said "The drop-zone isn't a team defensive scheme. Never was." I mean, you denied that it was a scheme at all, but sure, you are allowed to hold the opinion that the zone-drop isn't a good defensive scheme.

I want to be clear though, I quoted the words I quoted for a reason that isn't reliant on what you're reiterating. Not to take you out of context, and not because I'm trying to dunk on you, but because I took issue with the characterization that Giannis's role in the zone-drop was a cause of friction, or he was otherwise going rogue on the defensive end.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,394

Post#191 » by randy84 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Portis has been better than expected overall. But also a one year guy unless we free up some cash somewhere.

And just after the Bucks give him multiple years at big money, he will revert back to the guy that has been on four different teams in six years.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#192 » by blazza18 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
galena wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Based on what?

40% from outside on five attempts says otherwise.

Can't work him out yet. He's had some really good shooting nights and some really (really) terrible ones. The hot first week floats his shooting splits up a bit but I don't think he was as bad as he was in January. Would be really ideal if he figured out a way to find more consistency. Unfortnately with the deep shots he takes and the player he is I'm not sure he will.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Cooleyo47
Rookie
And1: 523

Post#193 » by Cooleyo47 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:29 pm

So, as well as Giannis played, we're not hard to defend when he's playing "Point-Center." He does pass, and yet he's still a black hole that stops all ball movement. I think Middleton disengages when he's forced to watch Giannis barrel in from the top of the key possession after possession. You can tell Khris desperately wants Giannis to play a smarter brand of basketball. Jrue is the key. We're missing him a lot.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#194 » by midranger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 pm

I'm not a huge Donte fan by any stretch, but he's fine.

Limited, but far from a problem.

Lopez. Is. The. Issue.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#195 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm

midranger wrote:
Lopez. Is. The. Issue.

Which borderline all-star center or power forward are you going to replace him with? To get that upgrade.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,707

Post#196 » by jimmybones » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:55 pm

Thanos1985 wrote:

holy **** that made me legit lol
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#197 » by Perishable517 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:07 am

Siefer wrote:Per last week's Athletic piece on the defense, the numbers support the idea that Brook has lost a step, but is still relatively good at protecting the rim in the drop. That makes me suspicious of how much of the collapse of the D is really on him, versus a combination of the bench, teams getting better at attacking our help tendencies, and a rough go of it trying to switch.

Some of the reason we're trying to switch so much is because our entire bench seems incapable of functioning in the drop scheme. DJA and Portis are absolutely terrible defenders that blow entire defensive possessions on their own. You can't hide them outside of occasionally being able to park DJA on a guy standing in the corner. Forbes is bad, but at least tries, and honestly, I think Craig is just a guy on D. You've seen more and more gambling and freelancing from our good defenders as they've seemed to lose trust in the guy next to them. Swapping Wes, Hill, and RoLo for terrible defenders has been a disaster, imo. Bonus points for DJA also being subpar on offense.
Agree. I follow Ers on Twitter and he is working out. Picking him up would help. 10 to 15 min of good positioning on d.

But my God, we need something better than DJA. He has been ick. Obviously, Merrill isn't ready for even limited time.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
midranger
RealGM

Post#198 » by midranger » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:03 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
midranger wrote:
Lopez. Is. The. Issue.

Which borderline all-star center or power forward are you going to replace him with? To get that upgrade.

I love ya PP, but you and I are so far apart on our Lopez opinions that it’s hard to even start a conversation.

Borderline all-star? Come on.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,078

Post#199 » by FrieAaron » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 am

Cooleyo47 wrote:So, as well as Giannis played, we're not hard to defend when he's playing "Point-Center."

Yes we are. The problem on our losing streak has not been our offense.
midranger
RealGM

Post#200 » by midranger » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:08 am

FrieAaron wrote:
Cooleyo47 wrote:So, as well as Giannis played, we're not hard to defend when he's playing "Point-Center."

Yes we are. The problem on our losing streak has not been our offense.

Yes. It’s the defense everybody. It isn’t hard to see.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks