ImageImage

PG Knicks: Bryn Curry

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Re: PG Knicks: Bryn Curry 

Post#161 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:28 pm

It's just a big stretch to say a guy hitting 38% from 3 "can't shoot". Probably not a worthwhile discussion if someone is coming into it with that mindset. Way too far apart to begin with.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 496

Post#162 » by Isocleas2 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:36 pm

If you replace donte with a more pure scorer who's usage do you want him to take? Lopez is already posting one of the lowest usages of his career and then there is Giannis/Middleton/Holiday.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#163 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 pm

DingleJerry wrote:It's just a big stretch to say a guy hitting 38% from 3 "can't shoot". Probably not a worthwhile discussion if someone is coming into it with that mindset. Way too far apart to begin with.

Whatever bro... why don't you watch the Miami beating the sh#t out of us series again or the Toronto series and ask yourself if you want a repeat this year from whichever team. Crowder barely F#cking missed when we leaned toward Butler and VanVleet barely f#cking missed when we leaned toward Kawhi. I'm tired of watching us brick our way out of the playoffs. Find a guy that can do that.

A guy wide open in a gym alone can probably hit 60%... in a game with MVP Giannis getting walls built for him you're probably nearly as open which is why Portis and Forbes are hitting 50% and are top 10 shooters now. Donte gets those same looks and isn't even top 50. And of those 50 to 60 dudes ahead of him, most aren't getting as wide open of looks so f#ck Donte's 38%
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#164 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Isocleas2 wrote:If you replace donte with a more pure scorer who's usage do you want him to take? Lopez is already posting one of the lowest usages of his career and then there is Giannis/Middleton/Holiday.

Wait, you mean they don't automatically extra possessions for having more swag? :lol:

Actually it's kind of hilarious because they do get a lot of extra possessions (and take away opponent possessions) thanks to DDV, so I guess it stands to reason that people who don't understand the value of that also don't understand it as a limitation when it comes to adding more usage guys.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#165 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:50 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:It's just a big stretch to say a guy hitting 38% from 3 "can't shoot". Probably not a worthwhile discussion if someone is coming into it with that mindset. Way too far apart to begin with.

Whatever bro... why don't you watch the Miami beating the sh#t out of us series again or the Toronto series and ask yourself if you want a repeat this year from whichever team. Crowder barely F#cking missed when we leaned toward Butler and VanVleet barely f#cking missed when we leaned toward Kawhi. I'm tired of watching us brick our way out of the playoffs. Find a guy that can do that.

A guy wide open in a gym alone can probably hit 60%... in a game with MVP Giannis getting walls built for him you're probably nearly as open which is why Portis and Forbes are hitting 50% and are top 10 shooters now. Donte gets those same looks and isn't even top 50. And of those 50 to 60 dudes ahead of him, most aren't getting as wide open of looks so f#ck Donte's 38%

As I said, bro, not a worthwhile discussion when starting form such drastic starting points. You're arguing that Jae Crowder is a great shooter but DDV can't shoot. he's career 34%, and last few years at at 33-34. And yes, he's generally shooting wide open catch shoot 3s too his whole career. I mean, yea obviously I'd take FVV and if you remember me, I'm all about shooting, it's my priority to a T. I'm actually one of the bigger pushers herre for chuckers/bucket getters even if they're bad at D. Take your Clarkson types.

But revel in the small sample if you want on crowder. I'm just realistic on what to expect, 37-42 is the goal (unless you suck at everything else like a Korver/Forbes) and so far DDV is doing it. Brogdon got 38-42 in his 3 years and I doubt you were shouting F him and his wide open shooting, why can't he get 47. But yea i'd be all about prioritizing shooting on my picks hoping to catch that FVV lightning in a bottle, Bucks def tried that in this years draft, we'll see if it works out.

Also, alone in a gym these guys shoot way above 60%.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#166 » by crowhead76 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:56 pm

-Jragon- wrote:

So you are looking for a guy like Crowder who can get the Bucks about 10.0 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 2.1 ASG, has a PIE somewhere around 8.8, and shoots about 37% from deep? I wonder where they could find someone that may fit that description.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,530

Post#167 » by chonestown » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Bucks looked dialed in the whole game. Let's hope this trend continues against the Wiz.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#168 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:09 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

Brogdon got 38-42 in his 3 years and I doubt you were shouting F him and his wide open shooting, why can't he get 47.

I mean he probably was though? Because literally doing exactly that is his whole schtick right now. The team is literally shooting exactly 40% from 3 if you take away Giannis's attempts. :lol:
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#169 » by emunney » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Isocleas2 wrote:If you replace donte with a more pure scorer who's usage do you want him to take? Lopez is already posting one of the lowest usages of his career and then there is Giannis/Middleton/Holiday.

With respect to you and AB the usage thing is a bit of a red herring. Usage and efficiency are typically inversely correlated, so the idea is that if you add more usage than the lineup will tolerate, as long as the players are smart enough, whichever players' usages drop will use what they use more efficiently. Players tend to get better shots when they're surrounded by more threats, when the defense can't attend to them as much. That said, I think adding another weak link defensively, given that's a sacrifice you'd have to make to add a pure scorer, would hurt more than you'd gain in offensive efficiency, unless the pure scorer you're adding is really, really good. Like, a lot better than Bryn Forbes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:15 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

So you are looking for a guy like Crowder who can get the Bucks about 10.0 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 2.1 ASG, has a PIE somewhere around 8.8, and shoots about 37% from deep? I wonder where they could find someone that may fit that description.

I'm not asking for chuckers, I'm asking for snipers. Crowder was playing a sniper role in Miami and was at 44% for the year and higher in the playoffs especially when he killed us. Since they had 3 high usage guys he just waited patiently for ball movement.

Brogdon is irrelevant because when he was here we still lost in the playoffs to a sniper FVV who was open off the attention his superstar got.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:17 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

Brogdon got 38-42 in his 3 years and I doubt you were shouting F him and his wide open shooting, why can't he get 47.

I mean he probably was though? Because literally doing exactly that is his whole schtick right now. The team is literally shooting exactly 40% from 3 if you take away Giannis's attempts. :lol:

This is Irrelevant because we lost with him in then playoffs to a better sniper FVV so yeah F his 38% too because he's still losing.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#172 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:23 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

I'm not asking for chuckers, I'm asking for snipers. Crowder was playing a sniper role in Miami and was at 44% for the year and higher in the playoffs especially when he killed us. Since they had 3 high usage guys he just waited patiently for ball movement.

Brogdon is irrelevant because when he was here we still lost in the playoffs to a sniper FVV who was open off the attention his superstar got.

Crowder is not a sniper. He shot 34% last year. Not 44%. Want to know what he shot in the next two series after us, 29% from 3. That said, Crowder is the type of backup wing I'd love, but I also am fine with him shooting 33-36% because he's good at other things, you somehow think he's gonna shoot 45% here.

FVV in the title year shot, you guessed it, 38%, while playing off ball from top 5 superstar and two other stars, including another lead G. Not unlike DDVs situation here now. And idiot fans were calling for him to be benched before those last 4 games vs us. He's doing same now but it's different since he obviously is much heavier ball handling type now.

Seems your very much caught up in the small sample of guys who got hot vs us. But overall, your desire shooting very much aligns with mine, give me more guys who can get those hot streaks here and there and see what happens. Think you just need to come back to reality a bit on what to expect. Bottom line, if DDV keeps hitting 38% he's fine and the least of our problems. If he drops to 33ish, then yea what you're saying is true for him. So far, he's taken the step up we all needed/hoped.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#173 » by emunney » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:25 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

I don't understand why you can't just admit that Crowder was a bad example. If you want to get a shooter like Crowder, just take one of the 10 guys on our team who are as good or better shooters than him and hope he gets hot like Crowder did. Your take presupposes that Crowder was some wild, undisciplined gunslinger on other teams and that has never been true. If you want to get a sniper, get a guy has a track record of shooting well in all circumstances, not a rugged defender who was hot once.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#174 » by crowhead76 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:27 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
crowhead76 wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:

So then you are looking for Bobby Portis and his 49% from deep?
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,015

Post#175 » by FrieAaron » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:32 pm

I understand not trusting Donte's shooting yet, but Crowder isn't historically a sniper by any means either. This is one of those grass is always greener scenarios.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:43 pm

I can't help your reading and comprehension but I can clarify. Check Crowders Miami stats 3 pnt %. It says 45 and I understand it's his highest year but my interpretation is that with all the talent there he had an easy catch and shoot job which yes I believe he could do here.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#177 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:44 pm

Any stat gurus have data on DDV catch/shoot vs off the dribble? My gut I think he's not good off the dribble and he shoots too many of them. I'm sure he's trying to get better and prove he can do it and all, which is fine but also makes that % dip a bit. Compared to a Portis type who's generally pure catch/shoot. Still, heck of a find they've had on Portis as long as he maintains upper 30s from here out (which would bring his season down to low 40s). this can't be sustainable for him.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,902

Post#178 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:44 pm

Ive really been wondering why this thread kept appearing at the top of page 1. Did not disappoint.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#179 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 pm

-Jragon- wrote:I can't help your reading and comprehension but I can clarify. Check Crowders Miami stats 3 pnt %. It says 45 and I understand it's his highest year but my interpretation is that with all the talent there he had an easy catch and shoot job which yes I believe he could do here.

Do you comprehend that's not a full season? it's only the like 15-20 games he played with them. You want to value a 20 game sample over a 10 year career where he's always been playing in catch/shoot roles, just like in MIA.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by -Jragon- » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:47 pm

FrieAaron wrote:I understand not trusting Donte's shooting yet, but Crowder isn't historically a sniper by any means either. This is one of those grass is always greener scenarios.

Like I hope you guys understand I wasn't saying trade for him. The idea in general is play Giannis with 4 snipers so if they double him they pay.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks