ImageImage

PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Re: PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight 

Post#121 » by emunney » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 pm

I don't think it's unusual for an athletic guy in a small role to be paid speculatively, and I don't think it's unusual for guys in their late 20s to get better at shooting, but I don't think Pat was paid speculatively. There are simpler explanations: Pat has been in the rotation of the last two top regular season teams, and he has great chemistry with Giannis both on and off the court.

I think people who dismiss Pat as being Giannis' weight room buddy discount how well they play together.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#122 » by emunney » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:37 pm

Jrue is such an unusual player. McConnell gives all kinds of guys problems, but Jrue is so freakishly strong and sure handed, it was as if nobody was guarding him.

Malc was/is an extremely strong guard but Jrue is on another level. Guys who look like they're roughly his size bounce off him like he's made of lead. I know I talk about this a lot but it's newly weird every time I notice it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 454

Post#123 » by Ruben Quevedo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:59 pm

emunney wrote:Jrue is such an unusual player. McConnell gives all kinds of guys problems, but Jrue is so freakishly strong and sure handed, it was as if nobody was guarding him.

Malc was/is an extremely strong guard but Jrue is on another level. Guys who look like they're roughly his size bounce off him like he's made of lead. I know I talk about this a lot but it's newly weird every time I notice it.

I've never seen a player like him. Balance is an underrated aspect of strength, and his ability to move sideways and backwards to cut off a ballhandler driving full speed without giving an inch is extraordinary. The steal on McConnell along the sideline...I think he's done that about 10 times this year. You just don't see that in the NBA because 99 times out of 100 it's a foul or blow by.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#124 » by mke_design » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:04 pm

emunney wrote:I don't think it's unusual for an athletic guy in a small role to be paid speculatively, and I don't think it's unusual for guys in their late 20s to get better at shooting, but I don't think Pat was paid speculatively. There are simpler explanations: Pat has been in the rotation of the last two top regular season teams, and he has great chemistry with Giannis both on and off the court.

I think people who dismiss Pat as being Giannis' weight room buddy discount how well they play together.

It can be both.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#125 » by mke_design » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:06 pm

skones wrote:
mke_design wrote:
skones wrote:
Except that's not true under the circumstances. In no way, shape, or form, is a 27 year old player who averaged 5.5 points per game on 33% from distance (after shooting 33% from distance the year prior) paid on the probability of "having a better year."

I just said they gambled and won. Your opinion of the gamble isn’t necessary to the facts in no way shape or form.

Cool, well I just said 27 year old role players are not paid on probabilities of having better years when they've neglected to show substantial improvement for the previous three. Let's not act like Pat Connaughton is this young up and comer and that there was this "probability" of a substantial improvement. Using the type of generalization you did is inaccurate and ignores context of free agency.

The Bucks didn't gamble, they **** the bed. That's why we went from 2 for 8.3 to 3 for 16 WITH A PO. Pat Connaughton can keep shooting and live up to the deal, but that does not remove the incompetence the Bucks displayed with this negotiation. The free agency deals we're getting are akin to the 2000s and 2010s Milwaukee Bucks and not the team with back to back 60 win campaigns and a bonafide superstar. Some see the Pat deal as "meh, whatever, it's fine and a win if he shoots 40% from three" I see it as a missed opportunity to squeeze extra value out of a place where there absolutely should have been the space for it.

And youre welcome to have your opinion. I’m just giving you the nuts and bolts of what has been referred to as a speculative deal - or one that hinges on his team fit. You don’t like it, that much is clear.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#126 » by Jez2983 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:12 pm

skones wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
skones wrote:
Except that's not true under the circumstances. In no way, shape, or form, is a 27 year old player who averaged 5.5 points per game on 33% from distance (after shooting 33% from distance the year prior) paid on the probability of "having a better year."

Are you Horst? How the hell can you say 'in no way, shape or form'???

I wouldn't usually post this, but if you were in conversation with me and spoke like this I'd be annoyed, and I am now.

Sounds like a you problem.

But sure, in no way, shape, or form. You have two seasons of a complete lack of statistical improvement from Pat Connaughton and minimal improvement from a season prior to that, and you're going to pay him more, because at 27 years old, you think there's a probability of him having a better year? There's no logic to that. There's a reason he agreed to 2 years 8.3 million before we **** up and said what the hell! 3 years 16 million because we don't know what we're doing!

But hey, let's ask again if I'm Jon Horst because he's a shining example of how this all works.

:lol:

Of course I understand that Pat's contract at the time was overs. Interestingly, there was an entire thread where we discussed it!

Not only have you demonstrated a supreme arrogance in assuming you know what Horst thinks, but then feeling you needed to explain further how you are right?

But yep, that's a passively-aggressive 'me problem'.

Good luck, fella.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#127 » by skones » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Jez2983 wrote:

Of course I understand that Pat's contract at the time was overs. Interestingly, there was an entire thread where we discussed it!

Not only have you demonstrated a supreme arrogance in assuming you know what Horst thinks, but then feeling you needed to explain further how you are right?

Good luck, fella.

Right! Because it was me who inserted myself into a conversation I wasn't a part of to let someone else know my feelings about how a common expression used annoyed them! It was me and my arrogance feeling the need to do that!

K!
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#128 » by Jez2983 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 pm

skones wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Good luck, fella.

Right! Because it was me who inserted myself into a conversation I wasn't a part of to let someone else know my feelings about how a common expression used annoyed them! It was me and my arrogance feeling the need to do that!

K!

Classic. Have a great day.

Mate.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#129 » by Finn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 pm

skones wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Good luck, fella.

K!

Sorry to insert myself...

This is a message board (as you well know) where most everyone has an opinion & isn't shy to put it forth. So complaining about someone replying to a comment seems dumb to me.

Carry on.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks