ImageImage

PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,895

Re: PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight 

Post#61 » by Brewhoopfan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Chances are minimal of finding a 'buy out' guard who is playing better than Pat Connaughton is right now.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#62 » by raferfenix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 pm

It sure looked like Bud challenged the supporting roster to make the most of Giannis' absence, and they delivered and then some.

Lopez turning back the clock slamming down alley oops was something to see. If he can keep the intensity up come playoff time that will help us a lot. Connaughton, Portis, Forbes, and Donte all played like they had something to prove as well.

Holiday's All-NBA caliber performance was the most important development though. Covid disrupted his acclimation to the team but he seems plenty comfortable now, and was the clear leader out there on the court.

Jrue played like a guy who wants to show the world he's earned the max contract that is about to be announced.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#63 » by WRau1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm

PatC is making me a believer. I thought his contract was completely terrible but his recent play has easily justified it. Still need to add another guard, though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#64 » by midranger » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Lopez has just been a different player since the all star break. Itā€™s really helpful to have some production back in that slot. If it continues weā€™ll be a super tough out.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#65 » by aboveAverage » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 pm

I did not expect Lopez and Connaughton to perform at this level all of a sudden. Would be so huge for us if Pat can stay a reliable three point shooter. Heā€™s been fantastic this season and Iā€™m eating a lot of crow. Donā€™t know if itā€™ll hold true in the playoffs, but damn. In December I thought he wasnā€™t an NBA player. Proved me wrong.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#66 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:08 pm

Pat's always been a really solid, efficient (57% TS) postseason guy as a Buck, so I don't really get the worries about throwing him out there for crucial playoff minutes.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,413

Post#67 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:Chances are minimal of finding a 'buy out' guard who is playing better than Pat Connaughton is right now.

The point of getting a buy-out guard isn't to replace Connaughton's minutes.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,476

Post#68 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:He was acquired for 1 reason, as a means to hide the fact that they are ducking the tax. If the Bucks lose in the playoffs this year, it will almost assuredly be to a team paying the tax.

And I would assure you if any of those teams could trade the equivalent of DJ Augustin and DJ Wilson while giving up virtually no draft stock to get out of the tax (and save money next season) they would.

Nah, they'd use their assets to add a better player with a larger salary. Except Houston, which is part of the reason they never got over the top.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,111

Post#69 » by Shaffty » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:38 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:He was acquired for 1 reason, as a means to hide the fact that they are ducking the tax. If the Bucks lose in the playoffs this year, it will almost assuredly be to a team paying the tax.

And I would assure you if any of those teams could trade the equivalent of DJ Augustin and DJ Wilson while giving up virtually no draft stock to get out of the tax (and save money next season) they would.

Nah, they'd use their assets to add a better player with a larger salary. Except Houston, which is part of the reason they never got over the top.
You cant take on a larger salary when hard capped

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,895

Post#70 » by Brewhoopfan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:49 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:Chances are minimal of finding a 'buy out' guard who is playing better than Pat Connaughton is right now.

OK, so what would be the point? Replacing Forbes? I'm not convinced Forbes will be in the playoff rotation. Injury insurance?
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,413

Post#71 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:

OK, so what would be the point? Replacing Forbes? I'm not convinced Forbes will be in the playoff rotation. Injury insurance?

Having more than one real PG on the roster?
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#72 » by WRau1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:

To have another guard on the roster that can ideally handle the ball and is big/quick enough to switch on defense. Can hopefully hit wide open 3s. His role would be situational.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,888

Post#73 » by sidney lanier » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:25 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Heā€™s a big overweight dude who is out of NBA shape

If only somebody had said that to George Karl about Anthony Mason in 2001.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,914

Post#74 » by soxperry » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Merril looked good offensively last night but hes a liability athletically. When they tried him against starter quality players earlier in the year he couldnt get escape or get around one defender pressing him. Iirc he was struggling even to pass out of it and was promptly benched.

Last night he had two straight rebounds come to him and someone on indy just took the ball from him. Im hopeful but i dont see him ever cracking a playoff rotation. Nwora could but he has a long way to go.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,451

Post#75 » by neiLz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Biggest takeaway from this game:
JRUE needs to be the much more involved as a playmaker going forward. he opens so many things up and has some great court vision. He brings another dimension and can get to the paint at will. Bledsoe could only drive but always had his head down and got caught in bad position leading to the dumb jump turnovers and bad shots.

Unlock the Jrue/Giannis PNR lobs. Brook was feasting last night and Giannis is far more deadly.

Also - when have the bucks had such lethal shooters? Last year outside of Hill and Midds i wasn't super confident every time a guy took a 3. Now the bucks have Midds, Forbes, Patty C, Jrue, Brook has seemed even better, donte much improved, Bobby P is shooting well too.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,476

Post#76 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm

soxperry wrote:Merril looked good offensively last night but hes a liability athletically. When they tried him against starter quality players earlier in the year he couldnt get escape or get around one defender pressing him. Iirc he was struggling even to pass out of it and was promptly benched.

Last night he had two straight rebounds come to him and someone on indy just took the ball from him. Im hopeful but i dont see him ever cracking a playoff rotation. Nwora could but he has a long way to go.

Merrill is not going to play PG. Forbes wouldn't even be competing for those rebounds. Merrill won't need to defend PGs either.

Merrill is a taller, better ballhandling and passing version of Forbes.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#77 » by -Jragon- » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:53 pm

Regarding Donte at point guard after his 2nd game as backup. Offensively, I'm encouraged that he has the mindset, speed and vision for it. The next thing he needs to add so his passes don't all get deflected is to create passing angles by changing speeds and looking away from who he's passing too. Right now he's driving in fast and trying to pass over longer players. Overall he should slow down a bit.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#78 » by skones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Shaffty wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:And I would assure you if any of those teams could trade the equivalent of DJ Augustin and DJ Wilson while giving up virtually no draft stock to get out of the tax (and save money next season) they would.

You cant take on a larger salary when hard capped

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

This isn't true. You certainly can as long as you remain underneath the hardcap and within the percentage rules. We couldn't have done so given where we were at with Augustin and Wilson. Even so, you seemed to miss the point ShootingtheJ was making. You add your salary slots together to consolidate and make a play for a player at a larger salary number. Nance for example who I know some here are fond of with how he'd fit on this squad.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#79 » by -Jragon- » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:Yep, Jrue was incredible. Bud's challenge is to give Jrue a bigger role in the offense. Let Giannis do his thing in transition, and let Jrue cook in the half court. The key is to keep the ball moving. Just handing the ball to Jrue in the 4th quarter to close won't get it done.

Smartest thing we can do is in the last 5 minutes of every game/half Jrue brings the ball up unless it's a Giannis fast break.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#80 » by LikeABosh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:00 pm

Prez wrote:Jrue is going to absolutely ruin some opposing guards in the playoffs this year.

He did it to Dame last time he was in the playoffs

Return to Milwaukee Bucks