ImageImage

PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Re: PG Pacers - Bucks roll to 7th Straight 

Post#81 » by -Jragon- » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:Chances are minimal of finding a 'buy out' guard who is playing better than Pat Connaughton is right now.

I think we need at least one more wing that can play D and hit open 3s in case Pat C gets the playoff yips again. And a backup PG in case Donte can't "handle" it - see what I did there
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,530

Post#82 » by chonestown » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Look, it's garbage time, but when Nwora gets time he shows the capability of being a 3-level scorer. His off the bounce game is displayed with purpose and he has touch both when pulling up off two feet or putting up a runner. Likewise, Merrill shows more variety than an exclusively spot-up guy and he isn't the turnstile on defense as feared. Pretty easy to envision them as end-of-rotation guys as opposed to merely end-of-bench guys. Bucks need cheap guys to fill up the roster and youth. I wouldn't move either for a two-month rental of a decrepit fossil. They've shown enough in G-League to warrant patience.

As for Diakite, he's smaller than I thought. More likely to work as a 3/4 combo than a 4/5 unless it's a small ball matchup. Whoever made the comparison to LRMAM [Em, maybe] seems to have it right.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,413

Post#83 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Yeah I definitely want to see more Nwora. I can't shake Supreme's Nick Young comparison, but even then a 23-year old Nick Young making under $1m will have value going forward. Kinda sucks Bud doesn't just give him some real minutes here and there, even if it's just Thanasis' minutes for a few games.

Merrill I'm not too bullish on. He can shoot and he has some skill but he's just physically outmatched. I saw someone say he's better than Forbes which might be true, but Forbes at least has a quickness to him.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#84 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 pm

chonestown wrote:Look, it's garbage time, but when Nwora gets time he shows the capability of being a 3-level scorer. His off the bounce game is displayed with purpose and he has touch both when pulling up off two feet or putting up a runner. Likewise, Merrill shows more variety than an exclusively spot-up guy and he isn't the turnstile on defense as feared. Pretty easy to envision them as end-of-rotation guys as opposed to merely end-of-bench guys. Bucks need cheap guys to fill up the roster and youth. I wouldn't move either for a two-month rental of a decrepit fossil. They've shown enough in G-League to warrant patience.

As for Diakite, he's smaller than I thought. More likely to work as a 3/4 combo than a 4/5 unless it's a small ball matchup. Whoever made the comparison to LRMAM [Em, maybe] seems to have it right.

1) I think Diakite can still be a 4/5 combo, especially once he adds some lbs. I believe others have mentioned it, but he reminds me of Chris Boucher, who's played a lot of 4/5 for Toronto this year and has been great.

2) Agreed on Nwora. He's too good of a scorer not to see more action next year. I see Nwora more as the Forbes replacement next year. Conny moves up to the backup SG and Nwora slides in as the primary backup SF.

3) Merrill is a great shooter and a passable defender, but he really needs to shore up his ballhandling. I'd love to see him take over the backup PG minutes next year.

There's a world where all three of guys are rotation players next year, especially with their cap sheet getting full. Don't know how realistic it is, but it's also not impossible.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#85 » by skones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Merrill is not a PG. Dude would get absolutely eaten alive on the defensive end by opposing PGs. He's a 2. Playing him rotational minutes against NBA caliber guys at the 1 would be a complete and utter disaster. The assertion that "he's currently better than Forbes" is completely unfounded and nothing but wishful thinking.
BigO
Veteran
And1: 2,901

Post#86 » by BigO » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:09 pm

Random thoughts:

1) Yes, Jhrue needs to have the ball in his hands a ton more. It's so obvious, it's hard to understand the rationale.

2) I went to the game early last night and watched early warm-ups. PJ Tucker could not hit any shots. He may have shot 20% from the floor practicing, working with Darvin Hamm. I mean he is so far out of basketball shape that he doesn't look close to a professional player. Until he does, Thanassis is the better option.

3) Khris Middleton needs to stop trying to beat his man off the dribble. His handle is so sloppy that I cringe when he is leading the break or trying to beat a good defender.

4) Sam Merrill is not a point guard. He has trouble bringing the ball up under pressure. I don't see why he can't be an even better version of Bryn Forbes. He can shoot under contact and is a great shooter.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,605

Post#87 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:10 pm

skones wrote:Nance for example who I know some here are fond of with how he'd fit on this squad.

We just had to give up value to turn them into PJ freakin Tucker. Maybe I'll eat crow if Aron Baynes or something is traded for Delon Wright or Larry Nance but you guys seem out of your mind with some of these what ifs.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
skones
RealGM

Post#88 » by skones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
skones wrote:Nance for example who I know some here are fond of with how he'd fit on this squad.

We just had to give up value to turn them into PJ freakin Tucker. Maybe I'll eat crow if Aron Baynes or something is traded for Delon Wright or Larry Nance but you guys seem out of your mind with some of these what ifs.

It's not a what if. You just entirely removed the context of what I actually stated.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#89 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:16 pm

skones wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

It's not a what if. You just entirely removed the context of what I actually stated.

The context of us using DJ **** Augustin's horrible contract and DJ Wilsons useless expiring to get a player with a larger salary, like Larry Nance or like Shooting has suggested Delon Wright. The context is easily inferred by what I quoted. And in my opinion is an absolutely WILD what if to suggest that those two net us an extremely capable player on not an absurd deal like those guys.

This is some "we could have traded Ersan to Washington for a top 5 pick!" thinking IMO.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
skones
RealGM

Post#90 » by skones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
skones wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:We just had to give up value to turn them into PJ freakin Tucker. Maybe I'll eat crow if Aron Baynes or something is traded for Delon Wright or Larry Nance but you guys seem out of your mind with some of these what ifs.

The context of us using DJ **** Augustin's horrible contract and DJ Wilsons useless expiring to get a player with a larger salary, like Larry Nance or like Shooting has suggested Delon Wright. The context is easily inferred by what I quoted. And in my opinion is an absolutely WILD what if to suggest that those two next us an extremely capable player on not an absurd deal like those guys.

I was literally using it to illustrate what was being said by another poster who misunderstood what was meant by a larger contract. Idk, read better, because what you did ain't it. Drivel on bro.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#91 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 pm

skones wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
skones wrote:

The context of us using DJ **** Augustin's horrible contract and DJ Wilsons useless expiring to get a player with a larger salary, like Larry Nance or like Shooting has suggested Delon Wright. The context is easily inferred by what I quoted. And in my opinion is an absolutely WILD what if to suggest that those two next us an extremely capable player on not an absurd deal like those guys.

I was literally using it to illustrate what was being said by another poster who misunderstood what was meant by a larger contract. Idk, read better, because what you did ain't it. Drivel on bro.

Oh ok, yeah I suppose we could have traded those two for Zion Willamson too who I'm sure people would have much preferred on this team over PJ Tucker. Not suggesting we would be able to, but we could.
skones
RealGM

Post#92 » by skones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:21 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote: those two net us an extremely capable player on not an absurd deal

I know, man, preach. Easily inferred imo.

Almost as if the rest of the post, ya know, matters for contextualization.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#93 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Ive said since the trade that Holiday is the teams #2. And he needs to handle the ball more and Freak needs to realize hes a super PF that can dish and run, not a PG trapped in a PFs body.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,476

Post#94 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:17 pm

I'm surprised so many want to switch to a predictable, limited options offense. I'd rather keep an offense with a whole lot ways to attack a team. That makes it so much tougher for the opposition to prepare for.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#95 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:22 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
skones wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:We just had to give up value to turn them into PJ freakin Tucker. Maybe I'll eat crow if Aron Baynes or something is traded for Delon Wright or Larry Nance but you guys seem out of your mind with some of these what ifs.

The context of us using DJ **** Augustin's horrible contract and DJ Wilsons useless expiring to get a player with a larger salary, like Larry Nance or like Shooting has suggested Delon Wright. The context is easily inferred by what I quoted. And in my opinion is an absolutely WILD what if to suggest that those two net us an extremely capable player on not an absurd deal like those guys.

This is some "we could have traded Ersan to Washington for a top 5 pick!" thinking IMO.

Throw in a couple 2nd rounders, and you get Wright. He has a bigger contract than Tucker. Instead, the Bucks used their assets to get under the tax. Hope their proud of that banner.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#96 » by mattg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:I'm surprised so many want to switch to a predictable, limited options offense. I'd rather keep an offense with a whole lot ways to attack a team. That makes it so much tougher for the opposition to prepare for.

We barely run stuff with Jrue initiating, we've been predictable for years just letting Giannis drive from the top of the key, that's been the problem in the playoffs. Every good team knows exactly what Giannis is going to do every single time and both he, and the coaching staff have not adjusted to that yet.

Also, Giannis is VERY raw as a play finisher, he's not a natural playing in space or as a roll man in the PNR at all. He needs reps to get better. His screening and footwork related to that leave so much to be desired.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#97 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:08 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:Throw in a couple 2nd rounders, and you get Wright.

And again I'd say I doubt it. I think we were damn lucky that Tucker had us on whatever list he had that allowed us to fleece Houston getting an expiring for DJ Augustin while giving up almost nothing. I doubt Detroit trades an expiring with (a little) value for Wright and then turns around and trades him for added salary and some forgettable seconds.

To me the biggest argument BY FAR that I really haven't seen thrown around too much is making it some sort of a three way deal where we give up value to turn Augustin into Tuckers expiring like we did then just package Tucker and Wilson's expirings with some seconds for someone who probably sucks a little less, to go full circle like Trevor Ariza.

I do agree with your theory that getting Tucker was some thinly veiled thing to get under the tax, more so then getting a good player, but I am firmly opposed to the idea that we were getting a good player for DJ and DJ if we went a different direction. I do find it funny that a lot of people who are using the "cheap owners" excuse now when it pertains to DJ **** Wilguston were on their side when we actually got rid of a good player in Brogdon though.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#98 » by DrWood » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:17 am

-Jragon- wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:Chances are minimal of finding a 'buy out' guard who is playing better than Pat Connaughton is right now.

I think we need at least one more wing that can play D and hit open 3s in case Pat C gets the playoff yips again. And a backup PG in case Donte can't "handle" it - see what I did there

didn't happen.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#99 » by raferfenix » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think we were damn lucky that Tucker had us on whatever list he had that allowed us to fleece Houston getting an expiring for DJ Augustin while giving up almost nothing.

What a change for the Bucks that we get on top of a trade list even for a guy at PJ’s level.

Agree that it’s something we should keep in mind.

And hopefully the Bucks’ reputation as a serious contender with a superstar committed long term continues to get us extra consideration from potential acquisitions (and the teams they are currently on willing to throw them a bone).
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#100 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 am

mattg wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:I'm surprised so many want to switch to a predictable, limited options offense. I'd rather keep an offense with a whole lot ways to attack a team. That makes it so much tougher for the opposition to prepare for.

We barely run stuff with Jrue initiating, we've been predictable for years just letting Giannis drive from the top of the key, that's been the problem in the playoffs. Every good team knows exactly what Giannis is going to do every single time and both he, and the coaching staff have not adjusted to that yet.

Also, Giannis is VERY raw as a play finisher, he's not a natural playing in space or as a roll man in the PNR at all. He needs reps to get better. His screening and footwork related to that leave so much to be desired.

They haven't adjusted to that yet? Giannis spends most of the 4th quarter of close games dominating from the elbow. That's a huge adjustment from the past. We run a ton more pick and rolls, and lobs, and now there's the dunker spot, and...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks