ImageImage

PG Celtics - Bucks Hang on for 8th Straight

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,347

Re: PG Celtics - Bucks Hang on for 8th Straight 

Post#141 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 pm

So as of now we have the third best record in the league, while missing Jrue for a large chunk of the season, a completely new roster and implementing wrinkles on both the offense and defense that appear aimed at making us a better team come playoff time. Feeling good, now just need YTTV and Bally or Sinclair or whatever to strike a damn deal so I can watch some more games.
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#142 » by All The Bucks » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 pm

old skool wrote:The win feels like a loss.

Umm no. Players have bad games occasionally. When they do and you still win, it not only feels like a win, it IS a win.
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#143 » by Siefer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Not an eye-opening game either way, but a few observations.

Giannis and Jrue were pretty bad throughout, and the only significant difference between the first 30 minutes and last 18 was which team's role players were hitting threes. Our baseline is just a lot higher than the Celtics'.

The defense is improved, and improving, but we've gotten away with late defensive breakdowns a few times during the winning streak. Theis was shockingly open.

I liked PJ's activity, and communication on D. Loved how Donte played in general. Like Brook working inside more - it's a nice wrinkle to have available.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,669

Post#144 » by msiris » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 pm

skones wrote:
msiris wrote:
skones wrote:
Um no. The Middleton show did not almost cost us. He actually showed up to play. That 2-3 minute run in the fourth quarter where he poured in 8 points on midrange js was absolutely necessary to keeping them at bay.
Not at the end of the game. He was bring up the ball every play. He does not have the greatest handles.

I'm not saying he has the greatest handles. Holiday was forcing up shots. Giannis was completely disinterested. The idea that Middleton "almost" cost us the game with 27, 13, and 4 including a stretch where this happens?

7:51 Khris Middleton makes 9-foot jump bank shot (Giannis Antetokounmpo assists) 94 - 107
7:29 Jeff Teague makes 30-foot three pointer 97 - 107
7:10 Khris Middleton makes 14-foot pullup jump shot 97 - 109
6:56 Pat Connaughton shooting foul 97 - 109
6:56 Jeff Teague makes free throw 1 of 2 98 - 109
6:56 P.J. Tucker enters the game for Jrue Holiday 98 - 109
6:56 Donte DiVincenzo enters the game for Giannis Antetokounmpo 98 - 109
6:56 Jayson Tatum enters the game for Grant Williams 98 - 109
6:56 Daniel Theis enters the game for Robert Williams III 98 - 109
6:56 Jeff Teague makes free throw 2 of 2 99 - 109
6:40 Jayson Tatum blocks Khris Middleton 's 10-foot two point shot 99 - 109
6:37 Brook Lopez offensive rebound 99 - 109
6:37 Marcus Smart shooting foul 99 - 109
6:37 Brook Lopez makes free throw 1 of 2 99 - 110
6:37 Kemba Walker enters the game for Jeff Teague 99 - 110
6:37 Brook Lopez makes free throw 2 of 2 99 - 111
6:22 Jaylen Brown makes 27-foot three point jumper (Jayson Tatum assists) 102 - 111
6:04 Khris Middleton makes 17-foot pullup jump shot 102 - 113
5:43 Jaylen Brown misses 27-foot three point jumper 102 - 113
5:40 Pat Connaughton defensive rebound 102 - 113
5:29 Khris Middleton makes 17-foot step back jumpshot 102 - 115

It's just weird. Giannis and Jrue almost cost us the game. Not Middleton. Middleton has deserved criticism lately. Picking tonight as the night to make an anti-Middleton point? It's way over the top. It takes effort to key in on one turnover point a finger at it.
I should correct myself, The style of play almost cost us the game. To depend on one person at the end is not great. It was ugly to watch and lt was like we were playing not to lose.
Ride the tank
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#145 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Siefer wrote:
Giannis and Jrue were pretty bad throughout, and the only significant difference between the first 30 minutes and last 18 was which team's role players were hitting threes. Our baseline is just a lot higher than the Celtics'.

I'd add that Giannis was just kind of invisible given how good he is. Jrue was bad, first game I have seen of him where he just looked off. Middleton kept oscillating between his Kobe Bryant and Kobi Simmons settings. When he is Kobe he is pretty much unstoppable, when he is Kobi is pretty much unplayable.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#146 » by MoreTrife » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Donte is so good im having a hard time processing it all.

He just wins in whatever the tream needs.

Tonight he hit 5/6 3s for 83% in all 17pts.

Last game he had 13 rebounds.

He also makes a ton of winning plays. I think he's been an important factor in this winning streak.

Tonight he got a block with 35 seconds left. That stopped the Celtics from tying the game.

A few weeks ago he took a charge with 5 seconds to close out a game.

He forced Dwight Howard into an illegal screen in a clutch moment a few games ago and has timely threes when needed. Grabs lose balls, steals, defense. He just makes winning plays all over the place.

He's at 37% from three so far and BB is at 34.5% this season.

Don't mean to compare the two, because DDV does so much more than hit the 3, and even that he's doing better than BB.

Donte's winning plays aren't as sexy as a game winning 3, but they are truly impactful and he's been a big part of this winning streak and he's truly contributing in whatever capacity his team needs on a given night.

Agreed.

Bringing up BB makes me worry about DDV holding a grudge when it comes to resigning time.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#147 » by Siefer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:26 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Siefer wrote:

I'd add that Giannis was just kind of invisible given how good he is. Jrue was bad, first game I have seen of him where he just looked off. Middleton kept oscillating between his Kobe Bryant and Kobi Simmons settings. When he is Kobe he is pretty much unstoppable, when he is Kobi is pretty much unplayable.

Oh yeah, it's all relative. Pretty bad for Giannis is still usually a net positive player. I'd argue Midds was much more Kobe than Kobi. He gets in trouble when pressed at the point of attack, as evidenced by the turnovers, but was just generally his normal very good self.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,114

Post#148 » by KidA24 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Siefer wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Siefer wrote:

Oh yeah, it's all relative. Pretty bad for Giannis is still usually a net positive player. I'd argue Midds was much more Kobe than Kobi. He gets in trouble when pressed at the point of attack, as evidenced by the turnovers, but was just generally his normal very good self.

There were 2 plays where Giannis just seemed like he didn't want the ball at the end of the game.

Once, Midd's dumped it to him on the baseline and no one was around him, it really looked like it should've been a dunk, and he immediately shoveled it to Jrue (I think) in the corner.

Another time, Midds dumped it to him on a PnR and Giannis caught it while rolling in a position to at the very least draw a foul, and just stopped, dribbled back out and immediately got rid of the ball.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#149 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Siefer wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Siefer wrote:

It is so fun to watch Midds when he is in that zone, gets to his spots and lights out. But those stretches where a guy aggressively plays defense on him, just unbelievably loose with his dribble and passes. I think if the Celtics decided to put Smart on Middleton all game, it wouldn't shock me for him to end up 0/13 with 7 turnovers.
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#150 » by higharc » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:10 pm

I think Jrue stretched something when he slipped at that turnover. Maybe that is why he avoided carrying the ball in the 4th. I hope he is ok.

Loved how Giannis is now penetrating in a slower manner and has a plan when the double team comes. It was displayed clearly in one assist for a corner 3 from Bobby.

PJ is a tank. Thought he would look a bit slower after that ankle sprain, but no.

Donte is becoming the player most of us hoped.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#151 » by skones » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm

msiris wrote:I should correct myself, The style of play almost cost us the game. To depend on one person at the end is not great. It was ugly to watch and lt was like we were playing not to lose.

I don't disagree. The larger point is that the overall style of play of Jrue and Giannis last night were much larger factors here than was Middleton in the fourth quarter. You know the old adage, if you want different results, you have to try different approaches? I feel like that's where we were with Jrue and Giannis last night, and things were ACTUALLY working with Khris. That's not to say Khris didn't make mistakes in the fourth, but I think he'd proven himself to be the best option for us last night.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#152 » by -Jragon- » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 am

AussieBuck wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:Donte is so good im having a hard time processing it all.

He just wins in whatever the tream needs.

Tonight he hit 5/6 3s for 83% in all 17pts.

Last game he had 13 rebounds.

He also makes a ton of winning plays. I think he's been an important factor in this winning streak.

Tonight he got a block with 35 seconds left. That stopped the Celtics from tying the game.

A few weeks ago he took a charge with 5 seconds to close out a game.

He forced Dwight Howard into an illegal screen in a clutch moment a few games ago and has timely threes when needed. Grabs lose balls, steals, defense. He just makes winning plays all over the place.

He's at 37% from three so far and BB is at 34.5% this season.

Don't mean to compare the two, because DDV does so much more than hit the 3, and even that he's doing better than BB.

Donte's winning plays aren't as sexy as a game winning 3, but they are truly impactful and he's been a big part of this winning streak and he's truly contributing in whatever capacity his team needs on a given night.

It's almost like the team being consistently way better with him on court isn't a fluke!

In the playoffs your super genius, regular season advanced while on court stats don't mean sh#t which is why you are all shocked we lose every year.

Everyone has to defend which is why the Korver/Forbes types likely get played off the floor. Superstars score and create and Big nuts shooters hit big shots. That's it.

There is going to be a point in May when Harden is on fire no matter who guards him and we're down 12 with Giannis trying to dribble through walls... whoever is open has to make it or we're f#cked again - no regular season advanced b.s. needed.

Hustle players that can't shoot - bench
Shooters that can't defend - bench

Get the point? Add a few more defenders that can hit open shots or we lose - again.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#153 » by -Jragon- » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 am

The reason why is because in a series each team has a whole bunch of time to create a strategy centered on forcing your worst defender on the floor to have to stop someone repeatedly and your worst shooter to keep getting the ball at the end of possessions.

That's not really happening in the regular season. Each possession isn't as intense and teams are working on things.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks