Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Re: PG Knicks: Depleted Bucks Come Up Short 

Post#41 » by chonestown » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 am

Unique wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Unique wrote:One of the things that Bud has to realise is that Thanasis has extensive experience in European teams which means his defensive skills are way above the average joe (DDV, PatC, Forbes, Merill, etc) that plays for the Bucks.

Combined with the unending energy he brings with him, Thanasis NEEDS to be the guy you put on the opponent player that does the most damage to the Bucks at any single night.

And given how trash Bud's defense systems are, there's always going to be one.

Lumping in Donte and Pat with Forbes and Merrill is something.

Thanasis having European experience means less than dick regarding his defensive skills. This is like claiming Wisconsin program alums are a step ahead coming into the league because it was drilled into them years prior to their NBA arrival.

Yeah nah. Failed analogy :lol: :lol: .

Surely by now, you must have realised, if you've ever watched any European competitions, that the difference between the level of their defense compared to the NBA one is like day and night. Different referring rules though and different mindset.

For them, games are won when you are defending better than the opponent. Not when you score more points.

Anyway, the whole 'defense' topic has bigger extensions and deeper roots that go back to the structure of the game as NBA wants to sell.

In America, games are won when you score more points, chief. Same as in Europe, too.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#42 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 am

Thanasis is basically Will Ferrell, high as a kite, inside peak Iguodala's body
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#43 » by mke_design » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 am

Did we decide to sit everyone to see what we had in everyone else? It’s uncommon to see an entire starting unit outside of a center to be out.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,394

Post#44 » by GoldenAntlers » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:25 am

Just watched the highlights. Wow - Thanasis was insane.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Unique
Junior
And1: 373

Post#45 » by Unique » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 am

chonestown wrote:
Unique wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Thanasis having European experience means less than dick regarding his defensive skills. This is like claiming Wisconsin program alums are a step ahead coming into the league because it was drilled into them years prior to their NBA arrival.

Surely by now, you must have realised, if you've ever watched any European competitions, that the difference between the level of their defense compared to the NBA one is like day and night. Different referring rules though and different mindset.

For them, games are won when you are defending better than the opponent. Not when you score more points.

Anyway, the whole 'defense' topic has bigger extensions and deeper roots that go back to the structure of the game as NBA wants to sell.

In America, games are won when you score more points, chief. Same as in Europe, too.

Is it though, chief? Cause, from where I sit something's not working for the bucks and I wonder what it is.. :lol: :lol:
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#46 » by aboveAverage » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 am

Nice to see that the rookies got significant playing time, but am I missing something here? Bud just decided to throw away a winnable home game? How is that acceptable?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,359

Post#47 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:46 am

aboveAverage wrote:Nice to see that the rookies got significant playing time, but am I missing something here? Bud just decided to throw away a winnable home game? How is that acceptable?

Giannis knee has been bothering him for a week. Jrue and Middleton got hurt Friday night. Donte has plantar fasciitis, which can linger a long time if not taken care of. Tucker has been hurt since he got here. Portis is in protocol.

Made sense to sit them.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#48 » by crkone » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:39 am

The synergy between Redman and Method Man in hip-hop is hard to explicate when talking about the history great duos in rap history. From the groundbreaking single "How High" where Meth and Red playfully discuss the inevitable conclusion of one's life mixed with almost apologetic musings of their presence on the track with their exposition of Turbo and Ozone's experience in the cultural classic of Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo combined with recalling "I got an Attitude" by the quintessential Antoinette in "Da Rockwilder" is almost mindboggling to surmise. I, for one, am sad of the inevitable conclusion and proud of the previous accomplishments of such a wonderful yet unexpected dyad.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,269

Post#49 » by HKPackFan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 am

Forbes looked like the worst player. Can't believe nwora was hitting everything and they run a play for Forbes at the end, when Forbes missed all game.

Forbes as the veteran should have been lighting it up and he sucked. Yet Forbes was useless on D and missing on offense and can't pass or create.

I hope Merrill and Nwora get more minutes after this.

Merrill was a little disappointing but Nwora was fantastic. His shot looked soooo good.

This was actual a really fun game to watch. I had no idea what was going to happen. Getting prime Thanasis was really fun. His story book ended just fell short on his two last possessions, otherwise it was a thanasis fairy tale. Just fun stuff.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,269

Post#50 » by HKPackFan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 am

Diakite doesn't quite know what he's doing on D yet but it was fun watching him swat everything and flash a couple things on O.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#51 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:20 am

HKPackFan wrote:Forbes as the veteran should have been lighting it up and he sucked.

How does this compute? Literally the only reason he's an NBA player is because he can score off of good players. He should have been lighting it up playing off of Thanasis Antetokounmpo? I suppose if he was in the Euroleague or something he could break every Vassilis Spanoulis record but I'm not sure what you're expecting from him here.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,111

Post#52 » by FrieAaron » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:24 am

Unique wrote:Surely by now, you must have realised, if you've ever watched any European competitions, that the difference between the level of their defense compared to the NBA one is like day and night. Different referring rules though and different mindset.

And different level of offensive talent. This sounds like college fans talking about how much tougher the defense is at that level. I imagine things get much more difficult when you're guarding the best players in the world.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#53 » by DrWood » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 am

Unique wrote:
German Athens wrote:
Unique wrote:One of the things that Bud has to realise is that Thanasis has extensive experience in European teams which means his defensive skills are way above the average joe (DDV, PatC, Forbes, Merill, etc) that plays for the Bucks.

Combined with the unending energy he brings with him, Thanasis NEEDS to be the guy you put on the opponent player that does the most damage to the Bucks at any single night.

And given how trash Bud's defense systems are, there's always going to be one.

It’s probably worth noting that DDV is actually an excellent defender, and if the other teams best player is a 1-3 that we would put Jrue on him. Jrue is by far our best perimeter 1 on 1 defender. He’s a damn magician on the defensive end.

While I agree about Jrue, I don't think I agree with DDV.

Defending consists of two parts. When your opponent has the ball in his possession and when he's not. I've noticed DDV is above average to chase someone who tries to get the ball. Obviously because of his fast legs. But when it comes to defending someone who has the ball, DDV has absolutely NO idea how to steal the ball from him. This is where Jrue and Thanasis prevail.

You might be watching the wrong things. And when did Euro players get the reputation for being superior defenders?
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#54 » by Perseus1966 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 am

players have to play ,when they plaqy you see things.
Thanasis was defending Luka in euroleague and he did a good job.
The refs were disgusting for one more time.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#55 » by DrWood » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:Nice to see that the rookies got significant playing time, but am I missing something here? Bud just decided to throw away a winnable home game? How is that acceptable?

Giannis knee has been bothering him for a week. Jrue and Middleton got hurt Friday night. Donte has plantar fasciitis, which can linger a long time of not taken care of. Tucker has been hurt since he got here. Portis is in protocol.

Made sense to sit them.

I'd have been pissed if I spent $ on a ticket and 5 of the top 7 players sat out.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#56 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 am

FrieAaron wrote:
Unique wrote:Surely by now, you must have realised, if you've ever watched any European competitions, that the difference between the level of their defense compared to the NBA one is like day and night. Different referring rules though and different mindset.

And different level of offensive talent. This sounds like college fans talking about how much tougher the defense is at that level. I imagine things get much more difficult when you're guarding the best players in the world.

Yeah there is that. But there's a lot of NBA players whose production drops when they play outside the NBA, see Doncic, Giannis, Jokic (and pretty much the whole team USA when they play anyone decent).
There's a lot that goes into it, different rules favouring defense, smaller court, knock out life-and-death games, and the fact that European players work a lot more on team D from a young age.
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#57 » by SKG » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am

chonestown wrote:
Unique wrote:
chonestown wrote:

If you just depend on your offense from 1 or 2 guys you are set for failure when tour guys have off nights, we jave seen that in the playoffs.

Defense can be there every night and you can win games by being bad on offense
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#58 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:30 pm

crkone wrote:The synergy between Redman and Method Man

Their sitcom never should have been cancelled!

Are you making an analogy to the game?

It's a sad commentary on the state of the NBA regular season when you care more about a game like this than at least 75% of the games that actually "matter."
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#59 » by emunney » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:38 pm

SKG wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Unique wrote:

If you just depend on your offense from 1 or 2 guys you are set for failure when tour guys have off nights, we jave seen that in the playoffs.

Defense can be there every night and you can win games by being bad on offense

In Soviet Russia, points score you
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#60 » by remi_222 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:42 pm

whats your thoughts on Toupane's game ?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks