ImageImage

Jrue Agrees to 4/135-160 Extension

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,514

Re: Jrue Agrees to 4/160 Extension 

Post#61 » by RogerMurdock » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:42 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Is this the best big three, even better than the 2001 big 3?

Yup.

Giannis >>>>>>>> Big Dog
Jrue >>>>> Cassell
Allen >>> Middleton
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#62 » by TD75 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#63 » by raferfenix » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:45 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
raferfenix wrote:
Holiday could have forced the Bucks to pay more in the offseason but didn’t.

Yes and no. I'm thinking he's coming away with what another team could pay him in free agency (actually a bit more depending on the incentives).

That said, I concur. Some team would have paid him this offseason, the question is would it have been a team he'd prefer over Milwaukee.

Could the Bucks have offered a 5th season this offseason though?

If so, I'd imagine that extra year of security on a max deal would be particularly important for a guy like Holiday.

The player option offers him an opportunity to get one last big contract in there potentially -- but no way he's sniffing this dollar amount per year 3 seasons from now. Conversely no way would the Bucks have wanted to do a 5th year, but we certainly didn't want to risk a playoff collapse leading Holiday to have a wandering eye in the offseason either.

Not sure if these approximated numbers are right but am thinking about this post:

slos wrote:- At the moment he can get a 4y/135mil extension. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he can be offered 5mil per year on top of that in bonuses. If that's true, it can go up to 4y/155mil for Jrue.

- The max he can get in FA from some other team with his 10+ years of experience is 4y/169mil.

- The max he can get from Milwaukee in the summer is 5y/228mil (which of course is insane).
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#64 » by jschligs » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:47 pm

KGtabake wrote:Congratulations guys.
I wanted him in Boston but the asking price was just too much. You really wanted him and that's why you paid so much.
That Smart/Holiday backcourt tho would have been something else defensively. Oh well.
Congrats again.
Find guys like Portis on cheap contracts, don't pay guys like Lopez and you'll be good.

The asking price wasn’t “so much” - it was basically exactly what he’d get anywhere else had he chose to wait until the offseason.
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#65 » by All The Bucks » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:49 pm

skones wrote:Mistake

Don't be so hard on yourself
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#66 » by raferfenix » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:54 pm

jschligs wrote:
KGtabake wrote:Congratulations guys.
I wanted him in Boston but the asking price was just too much. You really wanted him and that's why you paid so much.
That Smart/Holiday backcourt tho would have been something else defensively. Oh well.
Congrats again.
Find guys like Portis on cheap contracts, don't pay guys like Lopez and you'll be good.

The asking price wasn’t “so much” - it was basically exactly what he’d get anywhere else had he chose to wait until the offseason.

I bet KGtabake is referring to the Celtics bowing out of the bidding war last offseason when the Bucks made a godfather offer to the Pelicans.

I'm remembering a report about the Bucks throwing in an additional first round pick to close the deal.

Latest from Ainge though is that the bidding war was overstated, though this certainly could be more of a PR maneuver:

Read on Twitter

Also found this:

Brian Windhorst and Kevin Arnovitz, the New Orleans Pelicans wanted a top-10 pick for Holiday. The Celtics tried to get one so they could flip it to New Orleans, but no such deal ever came through.

“The Bucks have been more motivated than any team to acquire Holiday, but they weren’t the best equipped. The Pelicans made it known to suitors that they wanted a top-10 pick in this year’s draft, sources said, and a number of teams went hunting to try to get one. The Denver Nuggets and Boston Celtics were particularly aggressive but couldn’t find a deal.”

Arnovitz and Windhorst went on to report that the Bucks managed to get Holiday because they had a ton of long-term draft capital to send New Orleans’ way, and once the Pelicans realized they weren’t getting a top-10 pick, their focus shifted, paving the way for Milwaukee to enter talks.

Celtics had three 2020 first round picks (No. 14, No. 26 and No. 30) which they ultimately did not use to get the Pelicans the top-10 pick they wanted.

https://nesn.com/2020/12/nba-rumors-why-celtics-fell-short-in-jrue-holiday-trade-sweepstakes/
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#67 » by All The Bucks » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:56 pm

LikeABosh wrote:As of right now, Jrue will be the 15th highest paid guard next year

There's certainly not 14 guards I would take over him. Anyone who thinks this was a bad move isn't working with a full deck.
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,807

Post#68 » by Prez » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:03 pm

Ainge is the most full of **** GM in basketball lol.
TD75
General Manager

Post#69 » by TD75 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:03 pm

Imagine people who actually watch the game think that this is a bad deal for the Bucks :lol:

Jrue is absolutely underrated (I know that this is said a lot, but it is also absolutely true), and his game is perfect for the NBA playoffs, even more than Khris' or Giannis'.

This is a great deal for the Bucks.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
TD75
General Manager

Post#70 » by TD75 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:05 pm

Quick question:

What do you think a GM who has had a huge collection of resources over the last 5 years and has managed to do very little with them (Ainge) would say about missing on another great opportunity (Jrue)?

:lol:
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#71 » by 4xBuck » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:05 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:Is this the best big three, even better than the 2001 big 3?

Yup.

Giannis >>>>>>>> Big Dog
Jrue >>>>> Cassell
Allen >>> Middleton

Jabbar
Dandridge
Big O
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#72 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:05 pm

It's amazing how things work out. I remember draft day all those years ago, on the phone with my brother, absolutely ****** the Bucks took Jennings over Jrue! Come on Bucks, defense matters!

Jrue would have been wasted by the previous regime, and this organization would be dead to him.

Now, instead, we have him, the perfect compliment to Giannis
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#73 » by LikeABosh » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:05 pm

All The Bucks wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:As of right now, Jrue will be the 15th highest paid guard next year

There's certainly not 14 guards I would take over him. Anyone who thinks this was a bad move isn't working with a full deck.

I'd probably do Curry, Booker, Harden, Lillard, Irving, Beal, and George if we're talking about winning right now
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,402

Post#74 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:07 pm

TD75 wrote:Quick question:

What do you think a GM who has had a huge collection of resources over the last 5 years and has managed to do very little with them (Ainge) would say about missing on another great opportunity (Jrue)?

Hey now there's a bunch of moves Ainge almost made
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
TD75
General Manager

Post#75 » by TD75 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
TD75 wrote:Quick question:

Hey now there's a bunch of moves Ainge almost made

Agreed. If there was a "GM of the year for moves almost made" Ainge would easily be a 3-peat winner by now.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#76 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:12 pm

skones wrote:Mistake

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, no.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#77 » by raferfenix » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:13 pm

Found that behind the scenes report on how the Bucks beat out the Celtics, Nuggets and Hawks for Holiday (from Windhorst and Arvonitz):

THE BUCKS MIGHT have been more motivated than any team to acquire Holiday, but they weren't the best equipped. The Pelicans made it known to suitors that they wanted a top 10 pick in this year's draft, sources said, and a number of teams went hunting to try to get one. The Denver Nuggets and Boston Celtics were particularly aggressive but couldn't find a deal. The Atlanta Hawks, owners of the No. 6 pick, were interested in swapping it for Holiday but eventually abandoned the plan, sources said, when they weren't sure he would be willing to stay there after his contract expired in 2021.

Any deal on Milwaukee's end likely needed to include Bledsoe and future draft picks, along with expendable contracts. Whether that would be enough to reel in the best two-way guard on the market was uncertain, and at the outset the Bucks felt they were long shots. But as the other teams failed to deliver what Pelicans GM David Griffin wanted, he leaned into the same strategy he'd used a year earlier when trading Anthony Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers. Maybe he couldn't get the perfect player in return but he could make up for that with a volume of draft capital.

The Bucks, like the Lakers before them, expressed a willingness to part with a trove of draft goods to get what they felt was a transformational player -- not just to improve the roster but also to send the message to Antetokounmpo they were serious about immediate upgrades.

Once this was established, the Bucks were in the game.

As the process around Holiday dragged out and the Nov. 18 draft inched closer, the Bucks upped their initial offer of Bledsoe and a couple of first-round draft picks and a future pick swap, eventually reluctantly agreeing to include veteran guard George Hill.

The Bucks endured a long weekend while New Orleans mulled over the offers and, effectively, the direction of their team. Griffin eventually came back with another ask: one more first-round pick and one more pick swap to make for three total first rounders and two swaps. Essentially, New Orleans wanted to control the Bucks' draft for five years, starting in 2020.

This last offer staggered Milwaukee. As the decision-makers discussed it internally, sources said, they knew it was an overpay. They also knew there was the matter of eventually extending Holiday, which is expected to cost in the range of $30 million per season, sources said. But they recognized that not only would it be a tremendous upgrade to their roster but a strong message to the man in Greece, who was waiting to see substantial improvement.

The Bucks responded on that Monday: They'd do the three picks and two swaps. Griffin agreed.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/30528852/how-milwaukee-bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-reached-massive-deal
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,621

Post#78 » by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:16 pm

Prez wrote:Ainge is the most full of **** GM in basketball lol.

Ainge is such an overrated GM, imo. I especially love how he accumulates all these picks and does nothing with them. He found Tatum and Brown and decided instead of consolidating other assets for another star, he's going to surround his young stars with average mid to late 1st round picks, some of which had to be cut because there were too many players.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#79 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:18 pm

PG Graveyard wrote:
Siefer wrote:
The extension includes a player option for the fourth year.

Lol.

The Jon Horst special!

the pIayer option is a cooI tooI that wiII save us cash in the years preceding it and backfire onIy rareIy if the guys we sign are the right guys
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#80 » by DavidDunn21 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:20 pm

Great news.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Bucks