PG: Grizzlies enjoy venison meal

BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,086

Re: PG: Grizzlies enjoy venison meal 

Post#81 » by BigO » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm

chonestown wrote:
BigO wrote:
jschligs wrote:You can't give me a reason, because there is only reason and that is the coach. Give me TT's scheme and the Bucks are in the finals.

If Thibs was coaching, Giannis would have Dr. James Andrews on speed dial and ponder which shows he should binge while on rehab. Personally, I'd suggest Sledge Hammer! but YMMV.

I know it's a long time ago, but once upon a time Thibs had a squad featuring a healthy KAT, another #1 overall choice and James Field Goals.

They were not, how you say, good.

You still didn't answer the question.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#82 » by chonestown » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:46 pm

BigO wrote:
chonestown wrote:
BigO wrote:

If Thibs was coaching, Giannis would have Dr. James Andrews on speed dial and ponder which shows he should binge while on rehab. Personally, I'd suggest Sledge Hammer! but YMMV.

I know it's a long time ago, but once upon a time Thibs had a squad featuring a healthy KAT, another #1 overall choice and James Field Goals.

They were not, how you say, good.

You still didn't answer the question.

Read it again, chief.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#83 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm

The past 2 years we went all out for the #1 seed, which was fine, it's worth it (I know we bombed out in the playoffs but #1 overall is still worth it). This year we seem content to be #3 so I expect an extra cautious approach to injuries and resting guys
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,915

Post#84 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The past 2 years we went all out for the #1 seed, which was fine, it's worth it (I know we bombed out in the playoffs but #1 overall is still worth it). This year we seem content to be #3 so I expect an extra cautious approach to injuries and resting guys

With limited capacity in arenas, I'm not so sure the #1 seed and home court throughout matters a whole lot. What does matter is having some momentum entering the playoffs. IMO, this means everyone is healthy and playing together at a high level. We haven't seen this yet from the Bucks this year. Maybe they simply don't have it and/or Bud can't get them there. We'll see.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#85 » by skones » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The past 2 years we went all out for the #1 seed, which was fine, it's worth it (I know we bombed out in the playoffs but #1 overall is still worth it). This year we seem content to be #3 so I expect an extra cautious approach to injuries and resting guys

I guess I don't agree we went "all out" for the one seed. We were playing guys fewer minutes and still resting players periodically. We are now playing our guys more minutes, and resting players periodically. We weren't putting the pedal to the floor so much as we were just a much better team during the regular season.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#86 » by skones » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:

With limited capacity in arenas, I'm not so sure the #1 seed and home court throughout matters a whole lot. What does matter is having some momentum entering the playoffs. IMO, this means everyone is healthy and playing together at a high level. We haven't seen this yet from the Bucks this year. Maybe they simply don't have it and/or Bud can't get them there. We'll see.

I think the home records vs away records across the league speak for themselves, it clearly matters.

Amongst teams currently in the top 8 slots of each conference:
Home Teams: 294-161 .646 53 win pace over 82
Away Teams: 252-197 .561 46 win pace over 82

That's sizable and it's not coincidence.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,726

Post#87 » by emunney » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:13 pm

skones wrote:

I guess I don't agree we went "all out" for the one seed. We were playing guys fewer minutes and still resting players periodically. We are now playing our guys more minutes, and resting players periodically. We weren't putting the pedal to the floor so much as we were just a much better team during the regular season.

Regular season record the last two years when George Hill played was 37-10 in 18-19 and 47-12 last year. So 84-22 with and 32-17 without. 35-21 this year. Coincidence?

We're one player short.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#88 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 pm

HCA does still matter but not as much as in the past. The Sixers 2 years ago had a 31-10/20-21 split. Last year it was 31-4/12-26. But this year it's 22-5/17-12. So they're playing better on the road than past years. Some playoff teams have better road records this year. Dallas is 13-14/17-12, Memphis is 13-16/16-10. Pacers are 9-16/17-14. The home advantage has decreased this year as expected. I'd still want HCA though.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,051

Post#89 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 pm

I'm content with wherever we end up. We'll learn then in the playoffs whether Bud and/or the Giannis/Midds/Jrue core is enough to get it done.

I'm just enjoying the next month and view it as the preseason.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#90 » by DavidDunn21 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm

We don't compete at the level of a championship team.

Our Big two plus Khris don't consistently display the chemistry of a championship team. We still have Khris handling the ball with Jrue on the floor. No one has reined in the shot selection of guys like Brook. Our coach is throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Our franchise player may be hiding a knee injury. Our glue guy veteran may be washed.

But forget all that....we don't compete at the level of a championship team.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#91 » by crkone » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Again as an FYI:

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,086

Post#92 » by BigO » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks for this. This is very interesting and it happens to coincide with the posts I've made in this thread.
In it I mentioned that Bud's drop defense is a passive defense, that actually allows the ballhandler an open shot whenever they want, as long as they set a high ball screen. I recommended a more aggressive approach to the ball screen by attacking it and momentarily doubling the ballhandler.

The second stat about varying the defense is also interesting, yet misleading. It shows Bud is trying things, but it doesn't explain the details. I can't think of any game this season, except for the recent Knicks game, where Bud started out with anything but the drop defense. He then waits until he is well behind and then tries "things" (switching or zone).

In the Knicks game, because he held out all his starters, he went with a zone the entire game and almost won.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks