ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1861 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:26 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:Greg Gard should be doing whatever it takes to get Tyrese Hunter in.

There are rumors of a big NIL to go somewhere "bigger" (UNC?)

And look, if they want it to work, I'd take him. He's a good player.

But:

-27% from 3. I'm OK with taking McGee as a flawed backup and hoping and praying it imptoves. Now we may be adding a starting guard with that?

-Is Chucky now going to play mostly off the ball?

-How excited are you to play defense with a 6'1" PG, a (probably) 5'10" backup PG, and a 6'2" PG that is playing SG? They all play with good defensive intensity but they will be very outsized regularly.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#1862 » by DingleJerry » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:26 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Correct, this has been discussed ad nauseum on here in the past. It's simply not the way it works in CBB, especially when talking about high level recruits (and that's the complaining here). In reality, UW is probably a team on the higher end of players from their homestate (and include Chi suburbs) over the years. yet they're being bashed as not doing it enough because this is really about elite guys, which is where it doesn't really matter. Think back to the title teams of contributor:, Dekker, Frank, Gasser, Bronson, Dukan, Showy, all from WI or Chicago burbs.

If you want to see a sad one, check out the elite players who've come out of Minneapolis the last 10ish years. I think Coffee is the only one to go to MN, and none of the rest went to UW or Iowa in spite of being the closest regionally and much better programs than MN. And doubly, UW usually gets the best of the 2nd/3rd tier of Minneapolis players so MN fans just getting slapped over and over.

Well, your Minnesota example is a little of both. By the way, you're forgetting about Oturu. Kalscheur and a handful of other guys were in the category of the Wahl, Reuvers, etc.

They've lost the elite guys to Duke or Gonzaga or Stanford (academics) because, yes, Minnesota is several notches below.

I'm not sure I'd say they've lost many of the other guys to Wisconsin. Until recently, Minnesota wanted to go for exactly what a lot of the meatballs on here want. Try to build a faster-paced team, try to lure the hometown kids with exciting play, flashy coaches brought in, etc. They were barely after Wahl, Davison, Reuvers, etc. because they didn't prioritize stretch 4/center like Reuvers or a below-the-rim guy like Davison.

Not sure what you're arguing. They've produced a ton of elite top level recruits, almost none have gone to MN. Then UW comes in and takes the Wahls/Reuvers/Davison types in the next level or two of guys. MN is left with scraps and continues to be blah to crappy. For a city/state with that much talent it has to be extremely frustrating/depressing for the fans.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1863 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:30 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Correct, this has been discussed ad nauseum on here in the past. It's simply not the way it works in CBB, especially when talking about high level recruits (and that's the complaining here). In reality, UW is probably a team on the higher end of players from their homestate (and include Chi suburbs) over the years. yet they're being bashed as not doing it enough because this is really about elite guys, which is where it doesn't really matter. Think back to the title teams of contributor:, Dekker, Frank, Gasser, Bronson, Dukan, Showy, all from WI or Chicago burbs.

If you want to see a sad one, check out the elite players who've come out of Minneapolis the last 10ish years. I think Coffee is the only one to go to MN, and none of the rest went to UW or Iowa in spite of being the closest regionally and much better programs than MN. And doubly, UW usually gets the best of the 2nd/3rd tier of Minneapolis players so MN fans just getting slapped over and over.

Well, your Minnesota example is a little of both. By the way, you're forgetting about Oturu. Kalscheur and a handful of other guys were in the category of the Wahl, Reuvers, etc.

They've lost the elite guys to Duke or Gonzaga or Stanford (academics) because, yes, Minnesota is several notches below.

I'm not sure I'd say they've lost many of the other guys to Wisconsin. Until recently, Minnesota wanted to go for exactly what a lot of the meatballs on here want. Try to build a faster-paced team, try to lure the hometown kids with exciting play, flashy coaches brought in, etc. They were barely after Wahl, Davison, Reuvers, etc. because they didn't prioritize stretch 4/center like Reuvers or a below-the-rim guy like Davison.

Not sure what you're arguing. They've produced a ton of elite top level recruits, almost none have gone to MN. Then UW comes in and takes the Wahls/Reuvers/Davison types in the next level or two of guys. MN is left with scraps and continues to be blah to crappy. For a city/state with that much talent it has to be extremely frustrating/depressing for the fans.

I'm saying if Minnesota wanted some of those guys (now they may) they could've gotten Davison and the likes (maybe). But they wanted to "shoot for the stars" and go all-in on trying to get Tyus Jones to play a more exciting brand of ball. Their style was not interested in Davison and they also hoping and praying for the hometown guys.

I'm glad Wisconsin got those guys whether they really just came to WI thinking it was a better program or also because Minnesota thought they were too good for them.

I'd imagine if you ranked recruiting classes since Tubby came in, outside of a few dumpster fire Minnesota years when Tubby and Richie were lame ducks, they have the same or higher recruiting stars.

Minnesota's priorities were:
1. Get the Tyus Jones, Suggs, etc.
2. If not, get exciting 4-star players from New York or Texas or whatever
3. Fine, I guess we'll offer Brad Davison and Tyler Wahl

They've always ended up with higher ranked recruiting classes due to this.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1864 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Greg Gard should be doing whatever it takes to get Tyrese Hunter in.

But:

-27% from 3. I'm OK with taking McGee as a flawed backup and hoping and praying it imptoves. Now we may be adding a starting guard with that?

-How excited are you to play defense with a 6'1" PG, a (probably) 5'10" backup PG, and a 6'2" PG that is playing SG? They all play with good defensive intensity but they will be very outsized regularly.

Hunter is a top level defender for his size imo.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1865 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

But:

Hunter is a top level defender for his size imo.

Yeah, fair. I think it would be a good problem to have if it really worked out. I'd take it. I also feel like this is one of those cases where we think there's a chance but it turns out he goes for greener pastures and more $.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1866 » by wapith » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Wisconsin just offered Janowski out of Pewaukee for class of 2024.

Let's agree to judge Wisconsin's ability to recruit in-state based on the outcome of this one recruitment and settle this discussion.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#1867 » by mattg » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:55 am

wapith wrote:Wisconsin just offered Janowski out of Pewaukee for class of 2024.

Let's agree to judge Wisconsin's ability to recruit in-state based on the outcome of this one recruitment and settle this discussion.

Hopefully he develops more. He's already very physically developed size/strength wise for his age but is unbelievably SLOWWWWW and un-explosive. He does have a very nice skill level though. Shocked they haven't offered Momcilovic considering he's like a way more talented version of the type of player UW typically goes for and his offer list isn't populated by Bluebloods.

As far as UW and in state recruiting, stop comparing blue blood programs like Kansas, Duke, UK to them recruiting wise, not the same thing. Minnesota has also never had a remote modicum of success like UW has had, which makes the comparison also bad. The weird thing is there is an IMMENSE amount of talent coming out of Wisconsin the last decade, and UW just isn't getting any of the perimeter/guard talent for whatever reason. They aren't getting city kids, they aren't getting Racine kids, they aren't getting suburban Milwaukee/Waukesha kids, they aren't getting private school kids, they aren't getting fox valley kids, etc. Like I can't figure out what they are specifically trying to recruit. It's definitely not that all these kids can't qualify academically as these dudes go all over with no issues. Style of play wise I don't know what they are looking for. Athletes, ball skill guys, shooters, high IQ, UW is ignoring ALL of them in state from everywhere EXCEPT for La Crosse Central lol.

Like I wouldn't expect them to get all the premier elite talent because that's unrealistic, but all the other guys they don't go after and instead choose crappy Iowa/Minnesota guards with lower skill level doesn't make any sense.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1868 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:33 am

mattg wrote:

Hopefully he develops more. He's already very physically developed size/strength wise for his age but is unbelievably SLOWWWWW and un-explosive. He does have a very nice skill level though. Shocked they haven't offered Momcilovic considering he's like a way more talented version of the type of player UW typically goes for and his offer list isn't populated by Bluebloods.

As far as UW and in state recruiting, stop comparing blue blood programs like Kansas, Duke, UK to them recruiting wise, not the same thing. Minnesota has also never had a remote modicum of success like UW has had, which makes the comparison also bad. The weird thing is there is an IMMENSE amount of talent coming out of Wisconsin the last decade, and UW just isn't getting any of the perimeter/guard talent for whatever reason. They aren't getting city kids, they aren't getting Racine kids, they aren't getting suburban Milwaukee/Waukesha kids, they aren't getting private school kids, they aren't getting fox valley kids, etc. Like I can't figure out what they are specifically trying to recruit. It's definitely not that all these kids can't qualify academically as these dudes go all over with no issues. Style of play wise I don't know what they are looking for. Athletes, ball skill guys, shooters, high IQ, UW is ignoring ALL of them in state from everywhere EXCEPT for La Crosse Central lol.

Like I wouldn't expect them to get all the premier elite talent because that's unrealistic, but all the other guys they don't go after and instead choose crappy Iowa/Minnesota guards with lower skill level doesn't make any sense.

Like who?

A lot of guys like Poole simply weren’t interested in UW.

Halliburton was their 2nd choice after Herro but it was too late. In hindsight, of course they should’ve taken him.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1869 » by wapith » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:35 am

McCabe clearly lol
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1870 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:07 am

mattg wrote:

MN wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was just kind of showing how bad that has to be for MN fans, almost out of feeling bad. While also showing how little local-ness matters among elite players.

To the bolded, that's an exaggeration. State of WI output is greatly improved vs 20ish years ago. But compared to other states I'd be confident in saying using capitalized immense is a big over exaggeration.

And to the point, they do get a lot of WI kids. If you want to do the work count up WI kids (to me its logical to include norther Chi burbs but that's debatable) who've played for WI for roughly the last 10 years and then grab say Michigan or OSU and see what the numbers are. If you include Chi burbs and Minneapolis (both literally just over the border) and our numbers would be extremely high. And for Ohio/MI those states definitely produce more high level major D1 recruits than WI. Also make a point to take contributors/scholarship guys, not walk on fillers. I'm not gonna spend a bunch of time on it, but I just grabbed IL (which has Chi and they have ability to take city kids unlike UW) for the season that just ended and grabbed their top 7 in minutes, one was from IL and in spite of playing a bunch of mins avg 4 pts per game. Earlier I listed off how almost the whole UW near title teams were from WI/Chi burbs, that is very rare in CBB.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1871 » by Diggr14 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:00 am

Clearly, Wisconsin should be effective in recruiting the top recruits in state. Wisconsin hasn't since Dekker. You dont need a roster full of Wisconsinites. Year in and year out there are 1-3 worth recruiting for B10 level ball. But we are running about a 20% at best recruiting get on the 4 star talent or higher in state. It would make more sense if the state had 5-10 4 star guys, you cant get all of them. But we rarely hit on the 1-3 that are there year in and year out. That's unacceptable. I think even the recruiting staff at UW would deem it unacceptable, despite some of the apologists here that think its ok to get fringe 3 star guys from who knows where instead of really making a run at the top guys in state. Gard has done a **** job in this regard. Yes, his personality has run off coaches in state, players, and contacts of these players you need to be at least cordial with.

We can blame everything on Alando Tucker from 2 years ago, but it was a much larger problem than Alando, much of it was the kids as well, but you need to be out ahead of nonsense like that. You need to have control of the program. Again we see another exodus of players. It might end up being a good thing in the short term, but for long term stability... no, we can't be joining the circus of the transfer portal and merc for hire players. We wont win. Wisconsin wont spend on players. They barely spend on staff. There is an entitlement in Madison that money should go elsewhere than athletics (even though they are revenue positive). Maybe it is the right mentality. Part of me feels it is. But the **** the waste money on instead... they might was well have paid some assistant coaches.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1872 » by jschligs » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:53 pm

Diggr14 wrote:

Clearly, Wisconsin should be effective in recruiting the top recruits in state. Wisconsin hasn't since Dekker. You dont need a roster full of Wisconsinites. Year in and year out there are 1-3 worth recruiting for B10 level ball. But we are running about a 20% at best recruiting get on the 4 star talent or higher in state. It would make more sense if the state had 5-10 4 star guys, you cant get all of them. But we rarely hit on the 1-3 that are there year in and year out. That's unacceptable. I think even the recruiting staff at UW would deem it unacceptable, despite some of the apologists here that think its ok to get fringe 3 star guys from who knows where instead of really making a run at the top guys in state. Gard has done a **** job in this regard. Yes, his personality has run off coaches in state, players, and contacts of these players you need to be at least cordial with.

We can blame everything on Alando Tucker from 2 years ago, but it was a much larger problem than Alando, much of it was the kids as well, but you need to be out ahead of nonsense like that. You need to have control of the program. Again we see another exodus of players. It might end up being a good thing in the short term, but for long term stability... no, we can't be joining the circus of the transfer portal and merc for hire players. We wont win. Wisconsin wont spend on players. They barely spend on staff. There is an entitlement in Madison that money should go elsewhere than athletics (even though they are revenue positive). Maybe it is the right mentality. Part of me feels it is. But the **** the waste money on instead... they might was well have paid some assistant coaches.

1. You clearly didn't read my earlier post. In-state recruiting isn't nearly as normal for basketball. It just isn't. I even provided proof.

2. Have you followed UW basketball for the last three decades? Have we every prioritized high start recruits? Have they ever even wanted to come here? No. We find system guys that want to develop and play our style of ball. It's exactly why Herro didn't come. It's exactly why plenty of other top in-state recruits don't join us.

3. Who is to say we haven't tried to get the top guys? We always offer, I'm sure we are in contact with them. And I bet really quickly they get offers from the blue bloods and flat out tell Wisconsin that they aren't interested.

I get so sick and tired of this bull**** recruiting "issue" that we have when we have consistently finished top half of the Big Ten and have NEVER needed to rely on big name recruits. Because let's be real, if I'm a 4/5 star recruit from Madison, I'm not going to UW. End of story.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#1873 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:10 pm

In last year's recruiting cycle, 5 of 28 ***** played in their home state. A few went pro. 26 out of 96 **** stayed to play in their home state. A handful of the 96 were from out of the country.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#1874 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:In last year's recruiting cycle, 5 of 28 ***** played in their home state. A few went pro. 26 out of 96 **** stayed to play in their home state. A handful of the 96 were from out of the country.

Numbers are fine, but please add some base less speculation so all the forum can participate.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1875 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:15 pm

chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:In last year's recruiting cycle, 5 of 28 ***** played in their home state. A few went pro. 26 out of 96 **** stayed to play in their home state. A handful of the 96 were from out of the country.

Numbers are fine, but please add some base less speculation so all the forum can participate.

I'll add some context instead. When you look at the commitments, while often times a guy doesn't stick to his home state, he does stick with the regional powerhouse. Players in Illinois going to MSU and Michigan. Guys in NoCal going to Oregon. Uconn and Villanova dominating the Northeast. So guys "staying home" is more prevalent than it looks if you're only looking by state.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#1876 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:28 pm

There's only two kinds of states.imo There's Wisconsin and then there's every other state: your Michigans and Villanovas and such. Recruits either stay home or go a broad.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1877 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Minneapolis is hosting the 2024 B1G Tournament. Love it.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1878 » by DingleJerry » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:13 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Minneapolis is hosting the 2024 B1G Tournament. Love it.

I assume it's at the Wolves arena, which means this lays the foundation for it being at the Bucks stadium at some point.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,423

Post#1879 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:33 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Minneapolis is hosting the 2024 B1G Tournament. Love it.

I assume it's at the Wolves arena, which means this lays the foundation for it being at the Bucks stadium at some point.

Yes it's at the Target Center. If Minny gets one FiServ should get it too.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1880 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:50 pm

Give us Ben Vander Plas plz.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks