Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1901 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm

Vander Plas is going to UVA.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1902 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:41 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:If a guy in the transfer portal is looking exclusively at Power 5 schools, I think it's unfortunately naive to think that NIL is not a factor. It's only to what extent. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Virginia is a tier-2 list - think there's likely a solid opportunity in play.

Have we seen any reports out for what guys like this are getting, if anything? Legitimately curious.

The NPOY types like Tschibwe and NBA caliber guys like Pack are getting big $. Are people going to pay up for Grant Basile?

Actual money? I don't know and I don't think there's any mandate to have it reported. But it is not a small list of athletes, and it's not just a who's-who.

https://nilcollegeathletes.com/athletes

Wisconsin now has a portal for all student-athletes to use to help promote themselves.

https://app.opendorse.com/shop/wisconsin-badgers

This is a thing even if we're just talking in the hundreds or low thousands. I posted this on the football board many weeks ago, but UW is also one of just a small handful of programs right now offering bonus payments for academic performance. NCAA allows for up to $6000 annually per athlete for academic bonuses. Which is great, but just another payment factor for any kid to think of - and us to try and sell.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

Yeah, but that’s fine.

Some middling transfer that may hope to be a team’s 7th man can get $800 from the local Raising Cane’s at any school he goes to. Where the competition is is the 10-20 schools willing to pay $500k-1 million for the top 10-15 transfers.

I’m sure Wisconsin will make it work and match if BVP told them Virginia is offering him a $1500 contract from the local BBQ place in Charlottesville.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#1903 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:52 am

Okie dokie.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#1904 » by sdn40 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:44 am

I can appreciate Wisconsin offering $6,000 for academic performance, but not picturing a whole bunch of guys flocking to get that deal.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1905 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:09 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Okie dokie.

I’m not sure I articulated that well, but I am just saying I’m not sure the guys not in the top 20 or so transfers will garner much. In that tier of $$$, I would imagine are not out of reach for Wisconsin.

I may have no idea what I’m talking about on the amounts for the non-top guys. I just haven’t seen any articles [yet] of the 70th best transfer getting $400k or something. I am also not following this that closely.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Post#1906 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1907 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:13 pm

Yeah, that one isn't gonna happen.

Sounds like we may end up with Max Klesmit. We passed earlier in the night on the 5 standing at the bar that wanted a dance with us, but it is getting close to bar time and we are back.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1908 » by buckboy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Yeah, that one isn't gonna happen.

Sounds like we may end up with Max Klesmit. We passed earlier in the night on the 5 standing at the bar that wanted a dance with us, but it is getting close to bar time and we are back.

Hopefully Joel Krabbenhoft can pull some South Dakota voodoo.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1909 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:28 pm

buckboy wrote:

Knowing our overall recruiting history, 99% this is a pipe dream but Krabbenhoft does have a borderline billionaire dad - that may not hurt.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#1910 » by RiotPunch » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:34 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Knowing our overall recruiting history, 99% this is a pipe dream but Krabbenhoft does have a borderline billionaire dad - that may not hurt.

Joe's dad is a **** ****, I hate capitalism sometimes.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#1911 » by tski1972 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Max Klesmit officially a Badger.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1912 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 10, 2022 5:41 pm

Sounds like Gus Yalden is a very likely commit in a few days. Also much less excited about that than I would've been a year ago. He feels like a Mors-type early bloomer. Hope to be wrong about that. He does have some intriguing "point forward" skills but has zero vertical game and really needs to trim the baby fat.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#1913 » by chonestown » Tue May 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Sounds like Gus Yalden is a very likely commit in a few days. Also much less excited about that than I would've been a year ago. He feels like a Mors-type early bloomer. Hope to be wrong about that. He does have some intriguing "point forward" skills but has zero vertical game and really needs to trim the baby fat.

Zero vertical game and inflated BMI. Kerb, you see a lower-ceiling prospect, I get it, but this screams future Wisconsin folk hero.

Or it screams ice cream.

I can't call it.

In the meantime, get that Golden Corral NIL-la scrilla, Augustus. Monetize the carriage!
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1914 » by Diggr14 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:18 pm

Gus Yalden commits. High skill ceiling. Pass, Shoot, Board. Likely 4 year player.

This is a good get for Gard. He has been on their radar for at least 2-3 years and always heavily linked to UW from go.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1915 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 17, 2022 5:27 pm

High ceiling for sure if he can trim the baby fat and develop a bit of athleticism.

He has the guard skills - it will be interesting to see if he can hang with Big 10 caliber wings/bigs to take some advantage of it. He has about a 5 inch vertical right now.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#1916 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Seems like a reasonable 4 in our system and in about the right level of recruit/prospect they should be targeting. Hopefully he actually can shoot at this level. Who knows, with the transferring and all that these days its tough to follow/care too much about things like this as who knows if they'll be here in two years.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1917 » by chonestown » Tue May 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Diggr14 wrote:Gus Yalden commits. High skill ceiling. Pass, Shoot, Board. Likely 4 year player.

This is a good get for Gard. He has been on their radar for at least 2-3 years and always heavily linked to UW from go.

Think you're right on the basketball talent side, but dude has jumped from program to program both in AAU and high school. Hope he stays in one place if he's good, but history suggests a migratory mindset.

ETA: initially typed "your." Bo Jones would have my ass on that.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-DCB
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1918 » by Diggr14 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:16 pm

chonestown wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:Gus Yalden commits. High skill ceiling. Pass, Shoot, Board. Likely 4 year player.

Think you're right on the basketball talent side, but dude has jumped from program to program both in AAU and high school. Hope he stays in one place if he's good, but history suggests a migratory mindset.

Hope not, he has been a Badger likely commit for about 2 years now. But you never know in this day and age in college mercenary ball.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1919 » by chonestown » Tue May 17, 2022 10:24 pm

Augustus Mass Transit Vehicle is a snappy nickname I've been workshopping.

-DCB
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1920 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 18, 2022 12:35 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Hope not, he has been a Badger likely commit for about 2 years now. But you never know in this day and age in college mercenary ball.

I don't think this is true.

He started getting the "Baby Jokic" stuff in the beginning of HS and got a bunch of big-time attention and went elsewhere to try to showcase his skills/"play up" to be ready for it. Seemed too big for the Badgers.

I basically just follow the recruiting guys on twitter, but I hadn't heard his name for a year or two because I think he was going for bigger and better things until his stock came back down to Wisconsin level.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks