ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1921 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Wife and I saw Nope last night and left disappointed. I understand what Peele was going for, it just didn’t seem tight enough to pull it off. I’d put it behind Us, which I thought was a dramatic fall off from Get Out (but a fun and interesting movie nonetheless). In my opinion, it fell victim to the trap M Night seems to weave his way into the majority of the time.

I’d say just wait for streaming/home release to see Nope unless you’re dying to see a movie (not named Top Gun) in the theater (just go see Top Gun again).
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#1922 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:01 pm

emunney wrote:Kind of a bummer because she's a good actress and I could see this really **** her up.

I didn't think it was very distracting and if the performance is good it won't matter. This has a lot going for it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,734

Post#1923 » by emunney » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:39 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
emunney wrote:Kind of a bummer because she's a good actress and I could see this really **** her up.

I didn't think it was very distracting and if the performance is good it won't matter. This has a lot going for it.

You don't think audiences will care that Marilyn Monroe has a noticeable Cuban accent? American audiences?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#1924 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:44 pm

emunney wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

You don't think audiences will care that Marilyn Monroe has a noticeable Cuban accent? American audiences?

Well, again, I didn't think it was all that prominent. If she sounded like Dezi Arnaz, maybe it would be too distracting. But, no, I don't think the type of people who are going to sit through a 3 hour art-house NC-17 movie about Marilyn Monroe or critics are going to be that bothered by it if the performance is good. I didn't think Frank Langella sounded anything like Richard Nixon but he was still fantastic playing him. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who watch it just because it's on Netflix and hate it regardless, though.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1925 » by emunney » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:54 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
emunney wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

Well, again, I didn't think it was all that prominent. If she sounded like Dezi Arnaz, maybe it would be too distracting. But, no, I don't think the type of people who are going to sit through a 3 hour art-house NC-17 movie about Marilyn Monroe or critics are going to be that bothered by it if the performance is good. I didn't think Frank Langella sounded anything like Richard Nixon but he was still fantastic playing him. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who watch it just because it's on Netflix and hate it regardless, though.

I predict that it will make the movie more famous than whatever made them rate it NC-17. I think audiences want some verisimilitude in a biographic and the accent shatters that. I doubt it ruins the movie for me personally but I only watch movies for the nudity.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#1926 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:06 pm

emunney wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
emunney wrote:

I predict that it will make the movie more famous than whatever made them rate it NC-17. I think audiences want some verisimilitude in a biographic and the accent shatters that. I doubt it ruins the movie for me personally but I only watch movies for the nudity.

We'll see. There's really not a whole lot of dialogue from her in this trailer so it may not be a great gauge, but my gut reaction is that she'll be closer to an Oscar nomination for this than a Razzie.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1927 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:15 pm

If Game of Thrones would have ended with this episode and left everything else wide open, would have been an incredible finish. This is just soooooo damn good

emunney
RealGM

Post#1928 » by emunney » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:27 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
emunney wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

We'll see. There's really not a whole lot of dialogue from her in this trailer so it may not be a great gauge, but my gut reaction is that she'll be closer to an Oscar nomination for this than a Razzie.

Could be a big gap in critic score vs audience score.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1929 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:02 pm

The Bear

This was one of my favorite shows Ive seen in years. A few random thoughts:

- I can’t fathom how hulu categorizes it as a comedy. Its 95% drama and 5% comedy

- It felt very authentic to me setting wise (Chicago colloquialisms, scenery, vibe, etc) 90% of the time, but also very forced 10%

- Every role was well acted, no weak links

- While I fell in love with the characters, tension, vibe, etc Im not sure how it can crank out a season 2 without completely new dynamics. Which I guess the writers deserve a shot at. But it almost felt like a movie that found resolution, and now they will have to “Speed 2” it and the sequel will be set on a cruise ship.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1930 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pm

emunney wrote:Could be a big gap in critic score vs audience score.

The gap between professional critics and people has probably never been further apart.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#1931 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:19 pm

emunney wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
emunney wrote:

Could be a big gap in critic score vs audience score.

Definitely feels that way. From what I understand the novel can be very brutal at points and the movie doesn't pull any punches.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1932 » by emunney » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:24 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:The Bear

- I can’t fathom how hulu categorizes it as a comedy. Its 95% drama and 5% comedy

- It felt very authentic to me setting wise (Chicago colloquialisms, scenery, vibe, etc) 90% of the time, but also very forced 10%

- While I fell in love with the characters, tension, vibe, etc Im not sure how it can crank out a season 2 without completely new dynamics. Which I guess the writers deserve a shot at. But it almost felt like a movie that found resolution, and now they will have to “Speed 2” it and the sequel will be set on a cruise ship.

They've got some real Chicago staples in the cast, including a small part by Mick Napier, founder of The Annoyance.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,043

Post#1933 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:40 pm

The Chicago mistake was LOL that isn't River North.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#1934 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:55 pm

emunney wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:The Bear

They've got some real Chicago staples in the cast, including a small part by Mick Napier, founder of The Annoyance.

I didn't catch that and I've been the The Annoyance (and seen Mick) a hundred times.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1935 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The Chicago mistake was LOL that isn't River North.

The exteriors were River North. They film at Mr. Beef which is Orleans and Huron. You can see Nacional 27 in the background every so often.

He did walk in the wrong direction to work, however. And Sydney's train station didn't make sense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,043

Post#1936 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

The exteriors were River North. They film at Mr. Beef which is Orleans and Huron. You can see Nacional 27 in the background every so often.

Eh, I've never walked around River North and seen gangs of mafia looking dudes or evidence of a drive by shooting. Mostly it's youngish people in business casual wearing Airpods.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1937 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

Eh, I've never walked around River North and seen gangs of mafia looking dudes or evidence of a drive by shooting. Mostly it's youngish people in business casual wearing Airpods.

OK yeah was just coming to edit....I thought that's what you meant. Yeah, no mafia guys on Orleans just hanging out :)
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1938 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:12 am

The Bear - My favorite Chicago touches:

- the voiceover by Len Bremer (radio fixture) to open episode 8
- the glasses Cicero wears (so Chicago)
- Richie being disgusted that Pete is a Cubs fan
- ending episode 1 with a Wilco song
- Mikey and Richie telling the story about partying with early 90’s era Blackhawks (that’s exactly who those type of dude would revere)
- working the board of trade statue in to an episode about changing neighborhoods
- the staff getting excited about Tom Skilling (like, the third most famous weatherman)
- all the beef sandwiches… that is what we eat
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1939 » by 4xBuck » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:16 am

4xBuck wrote:On the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Looking like it's gonna be right. The description for the episode is- a new player gets in the game... Wonder who that could possibly be?!? 8-)

BCS: Nailed it... :lol:

Never been more wrong. It was glorious... Glad the spoiler was 100% wrong and glad for the episode we got:

Spoiler:
I've wanted a Gene episode since season three. I really liked it.

The next three episodes are gonna be nuts. At the end of BB we saw what happed to Jessie, Walt and the family in detail. With Saul, he just popped up in Ed's basement before relocation; then we saw Gene at Cinnabon in Omaha. Now we'll probably get the full back story as Saul's world collapsed and was reincarnated as Gene. Dr. Caldara's storyline as a fixer should be a lot of fun, too.

For the bunk spoiler. That story is coming, it just wasn't last week.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1940 » by ejn1214 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:11 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:Wife and I saw Nope last night and left disappointed. I understand what Peele was going for, it just didn’t seem tight enough to pull it off. I’d put it behind Us, which I thought was a dramatic fall off from Get Out (but a fun and interesting movie nonetheless). In my opinion, it fell victim to the trap M Night seems to weave his way into the majority of the time.

I’d say just wait for streaming/home release to see Nope unless you’re dying to see a movie (not named Top Gun) in the theater (just go see Top Gun again).

I feel like Get Out was a pretty good movie and entertaining but is overrated quite a bit. He used a pretty familiar style, but with race intertwined making it a bit different. I disliked Us. Subtlety doesn't seem to be his strong suit. Using horror to take on social issues or serious and complex issues has been done for a long time. You don't have to constantly throw it in the face of the viewer to the point it's so obvious and annoying. The M. Night Shyamalan comparison people have been making seems really spot on. I think The Sixth Sense is quite a bit better than Get out.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks