ImageImage

PG: Bucks Overcome 8 on 5 for 8th Straight Win

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Re: PG: Bucks Overcome 8 on 5 for 8th Straight Win 

Post#181 » by DutchManDanFan » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:38 pm

skones wrote:Straight from Boogies mouth, there were no other options. He worked out for Denver last week, didn't hear anything back, Bucks called on Friday, worked out Saturday by Ham and Milt Newton, went to dinner, talked to Bud on the phone, signed Sunday.

Yeah, but you don't know what went on before that. Obviously there was contact between his agent and the Bucks, but for how long already? Boogie said he got a call from his agent to work out on Saturday with the Bucks.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,624

Post#182 » by raferfenix » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:44 pm

All The Bucks wrote:If Bucks fans continue to give Boogie the Bobby treatment like they did last night, you're going to get the best out of him. Some dudes just want to be loved.

Fans can just alternate btw "BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE" with the "BOBBY" chants.

Or is a competition in order btw Team Bobby and Team Boogie?

Clippers and Rockets had nothing resembling these kind of vibes to get him going, hopefully it helps.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,001

Post#183 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:46 pm

Nuggets have the Greens (Jeff & JaMychal) and Aaron Gordon all logging minutes at the 5. There wasn't really much of an opportunity for serious PT there behind Jokic. Had the BAM! injury happened sooner, no doubt Miami would have given Boogie a call.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,624

Post#184 » by raferfenix » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:51 pm

DutchManDanFan wrote:
skones wrote:Straight from Boogies mouth, there were no other options. He worked out for Denver last week, didn't hear anything back, Bucks called on Friday, worked out Saturday by Ham and Milt Newton, went to dinner, talked to Bud on the phone, signed Sunday.

Yeah, but you don't know what went on before that. Obviously there was contact between his agent and the Bucks, but for how long already? Boogie said he got a call from his agent to work out on Saturday with the Bucks.

Marc Gasol announcing he was signing with Girona last week also could have been a precipitating factor.

Possible the Bucks were the hold up with Cousins.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#185 » by skones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:55 pm

DutchManDanFan wrote:

I can't say for certain obviously, but the comments made clearly suggest first contact was this past weekend. It coming together fast wouldn't suggest there has been touch and go contact for some time at all, and like i said, Boogie had no offers on the table. If he did, he wouldn't be taking NG'd deals.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#186 » by aboveAverage » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:24 pm

BigO wrote:
emunney wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:First, holy crap guys but Charlotte is really good. That’s an exciting young squad they’re building there. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them make an Atlanta-like run in the playoffs this year. Especially if they can somehow get a big. LaMelo is special.

On to the Bucks: great resiliency on a really tough night. We got punched in the mouth and still kept our composure and executed when it mattered. The playoffs really battle-tested this team. They don’t fold under pressure anymore.

Giannis was incredible. And that play by Bud at the end of the game was genius!! Give him credit there.

Fitting that Charlotte almost wins on a prayer half court three. What a crazy game.

That wasn't the only beautiful play he drew up, either. He's always been good with ATOs but it feels like we get a layup like 80% of the time now.

This must be the tenth comment on how good of a coaching move the last play to Giannis was.

Giannis was dominating the hornets inside all game. So calling a clear out for Giannis is great coaching? It's doing the obvious thing. Not getting the two time MVP the ball against a small team he has dominated all game would be coaching malfeasance.

That said, despite the torrid shooting by the Hornets, I didn't think the defensive schemes used by Bud were wrong. The Hornets consistently hit tough shots.

Look at the play again. That was a perfectly designed misdirection and pre-run by Giannis to catch the ball already going downhill. Like a toss to the running back in football. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us run that play. That’s a new idea that someone on the coaching staff came up with and it’s brilliant.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#187 » by LUKE23 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:30 pm

Did it look like Cousins was running with a hitch to anyone else?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,905

Post#188 » by emunney » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:37 pm

aboveAverage wrote:
BigO wrote:
emunney wrote:
That wasn't the only beautiful play he drew up, either. He's always been good with ATOs but it feels like we get a layup like 80% of the time now.

This must be the tenth comment on how good of a coaching move the last play to Giannis was.

Giannis was dominating the hornets inside all game. So calling a clear out for Giannis is great coaching? It's doing the obvious thing. Not getting the two time MVP the ball against a small team he has dominated all game would be coaching malfeasance.

That said, despite the torrid shooting by the Hornets, I didn't think the defensive schemes used by Bud were wrong. The Hornets consistently hit tough shots.

Look at the play again. That was a perfectly designed misdirection and pre-run by Giannis to catch the ball already going downhill. Like a toss to the running back in football. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us run that play. That’s a new idea that someone on the coaching staff came up with and it’s brilliant.

It absolutely was a counter toss, great comparison.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#189 » by crkone » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:00 pm

emunney wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
emunney wrote:
That was so confusing. What exactly was the foul on Grayson if the contact was ruled a technical the other way?

Very confusing. It definitely wasn't a shooting foul. But even if it was, why didn't Hayward shoot the free throws first, with the Bucks getting a technical free throw and the ball after?

Had a very "We're in charge so let's just make up what happens" vibe.

I think he got Hayward on the arm just before the elbow. :dontknow:

All I can see is a Grayson inner arm on a Hayward arm.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=653&GameID=0022100324&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Allen%20S.FOUL%20(P4.T3)%20(B.Nansel)

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#190 » by Brewhoopfan » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:19 pm

crkone wrote:
emunney wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
Very confusing. It definitely wasn't a shooting foul. But even if it was, why didn't Hayward shoot the free throws first, with the Bucks getting a technical free throw and the ball after?

Had a very "We're in charge so let's just make up what happens" vibe.

I think he got Hayward on the arm just before the elbow. :dontknow:

All I can see is a Grayson inner arm on a Hayward arm.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=653&GameID=0022100324&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Allen%20S.FOUL%20(P4.T3)%20(B.Nansel)

You're correct. Foul occurred before the elbow. Just looking at photo, Allen face is going to take a lot of punishment if he keeps putting it there.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,942

Post#191 » by Brewhoopfan » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:30 pm

Hot take: This is the first game it looked like Allen struggled defensively against their perimeter quickness. Obviously, he's shooting great, and the Hornets perimeter is a tough cover.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#192 » by old skool » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:37 pm

I think Charlotte was a tough team to defend because of their lineups of long mobile players. As long as they were hitting shots outside, they had the advantage. The Bucks tightened their perimeter defense in the second half, but that increased perimeter pressure opened up driving lanes, which Bridges exploited.

Their long mobile lineups were also their downfall, as the Antetokounmpo feasted inside due to their lack of a big who could protect the rim.

Washington as a 6'7" center and Bridges as a 6'6" PF create challenges with their mobility and scoring ability. A 6'7" PG like Ball and Hayward as a 6'7" SF give them decent overall size, with Rozier being the only rotation player on the smallish side. But when called on to defend inside against Giannis, Portis or a brute like Lopez, the Hornets are forced to rely on the quickness and jumping ability of their undersized front court. That lack of height - the flip side of what gives them an advantage scoring the ball - is ultimately a fatal flaw. The only way they can win against most NBA teams is to outscore them, which is ultimately what the Bucks did.
old skool
General Manager

Post#193 » by old skool » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:43 pm

Cousins looked better than someone new to the team, much less someone who has not been on an NBA court for months. But long term, I am not sure he sticks. He has proved to be a limited player. The Bucks have immediate needs at center. His non-guaranteed status is the key to his place on the roster. I think he is jettisoned when a better option becomes available, which is not a slam on Cousins.

I root for him to make a significant contribution, but have low expectations given his recent performances.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#194 » by BigO » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:43 pm

aboveAverage wrote:
BigO wrote:
emunney wrote:

I did look at it several times. Khris was the inbounder. Pat and Grayson ran to the corners. Jrue went to get the ball from Khris and Giannis was near half court and got a running start to catch the ball. Nothing complicated about it. I suggest you watch it again.

It's about as basic as you can get, yet effective. Don't see the brilliance, but great minds can differ.
old skool
General Manager

Post#195 » by old skool » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:48 pm

The biggest defensive difference I see from the Bucks of late is the lack of funneling the ball to inside bigs. When Giannis is the primary inside defender, he will often chase the ball or switch onto someone on the perimeter. When Lopez is inside the lane, the Bucks pressure the ball less, content to funnel the ball to Lopez. The perimeter defense of Connaughton, Hill and Allen will ramp up once they have Lopez behind them.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,748

Post#196 » by yannisk » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:57 pm

Giannis has such a great touch around the basket. look at the last basket

old skool
General Manager

Post#197 » by old skool » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:58 pm

BigO wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:
BigO wrote:

I did look at it several times. Khris was the inbounder. Pat and Grayson ran to the corners. Jrue went to get the ball from Khris and Giannis was near half court and got a running start to catch the ball. Nothing complicated about it. I suggest you watch it again.

It's about as basic as you can get, yet effective. Don't see the brilliance, but great minds can differ.

I would never assume to be considered a "great mind", but I thought that the formation with Giannis in the back court as the ball was about to be inbounded confused the Hornets. Normally with less than 6 seconds left in a tied game, teams position their bigs in the front court. Having Giannis standing 60 feet from the basket with the ball advanced to the front court did not look basic to me. If it was such a basic formation, I would have expected the Hornets to double Giannis at the top of the key to deny him the ball or force him to give it up. Instead the Hornets played a straight up man defense, freeing Giannis to drive to the rim against a smaller defender for a relatively easy layup.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#198 » by skones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:20 pm

We've literally got someone talking himself out of it being good coaching to get your 2 time MVP, reigning NBA Champion and Finals MVP, paint dominator, a clean look at a layup in a tie game with 5 seconds remaining. If you're not going to give credit when it's due, you're a lost cause.

Just go ahead and say coaching doesn't matter because simplicity. Basketball simple, dribble ball, put in basket.
BigO
Analyst

Post#199 » by BigO » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:28 pm

skones wrote:We've literally got someone talking himself out of it being good coaching to get your 2 time MVP, reigning NBA Champion and Finals MVP, paint dominator, a clean look at a layup in a tie game with 5 seconds remaining. If you're not going to give credit when it's due, you're a lost cause.

Just go ahead and say coaching doesn't matter because simplicity. Basketball simple, dribble ball, put in basket.

Several posters said it was brilliant, genius and innovative, none of which is true. Here is what Eric Nehm said about the last play in The Athletic:

"Bud drew up a play that looked similar to a few the Bucks have used in the last few seasons in similar end-of-game situations. In the frontcourt, three players attempt to get each other open, while Antetokounmpo stands beyond the halfcourt line waiting for the play to unfold in front of him."

Nehm got it exactly right. It was a play that Bud and many other teams have done for other players in similar situations with little time left on the clock. Spreading the floor and putting the ball in the hands of your best creator is hardly unique, as Nehm confirms.

If you haven't watched a lot of NBA games or Bucks games, I can understand why you might think it's more than good, basic coaching.
BigO
Analyst

Post#200 » by BigO » Fri Dec 3, 2021 12:20 am

Update: if you watch the replay with the Charlotte Hornets announcers, the guy says right before the play begins that the Bucks want to get the ball to Giannis going downhill. Everyone knew it was going to happen.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-silences-lamelo-ball-charlotte-hornets-comeback-attempt-in-wild-finish-040648899.html

Return to Milwaukee Bucks