ImageImage

PG: Bucks Outlast Cavs

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Re: PG: Bucks Outlast Cavs 

Post#81 » by old skool » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:11 pm

I consider Cousins, Mathews, Smart and Hood to be end of the bench players because they are not in the Bucks 10 player rotation. I think that view is underscored by the fact that a few days ago Cousins, Mathews and Smart were not even on NBA rosters. They aren't replacements for Bucks rotation players, they are replacing Bucks end of bench players.

Hood is a rehab project. Cousins, Mathews and Smart are stop gap measures that might be needed if the Bucks continue to have health issues. I root for all four of those players, but there are obvious reasons to temper any enthusiasm for what they might be able to contribute.

Last night had a bit of a pre-season game vibe, where winning the game is not the only goal. Smart gets minutes to see what he can do. Cousins gets minutes because the Bucks are thin at center and because Cousins is working his way into NBA game shape. Smart and Mathews also need to get into game shape after months without playing competitively. All three players need to get acclimated into the Bucks system and playing with new team mates. Throughout much of the night, except for the start and close of the game, the lineups were wacky and generally unlike any that the Bucks have employed to date. When I see an NBA team putting 2 or 3 recent mid season FA signees on the court together, it looks like taking steps backward for benefit down the road.

Giannis was getting subbed out frequently, possibly to minimize stress on his injured calf. Allen played less than normal coming off of an illness. Middleton and Holiday played major minutes but looked to me to be managing the game more than playing with 100% intensity, which is fitting for two guys who played through a deep playoff run and summer Olympics.

To me, it felt like the Bucks were experimenting and giving guys work so they will be ready in the future, while managing the game enough to win against a team on the second game of a B2B.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#82 » by skones » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:19 pm

old skool wrote:I consider Cousins, Mathews, Smart and Hood to be end of the bench players because they are not in the Bucks 10 player rotation.

It's pretty clear Matthews and Boogie are in the 10 man rotation.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#83 » by AussieBuck » Tue Dec 7, 2021 8:27 pm

Still exciting about the Cousins era.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
SickMother
Senior
And1: 610

Post#84 » by SickMother » Tue Dec 7, 2021 8:59 pm

skones wrote:
old skool wrote:I consider Cousins, Mathews, Smart and Hood to be end of the bench players because they are not in the Bucks 10 player rotation.

It's pretty clear Matthews and Boogie are in the 10 man rotation.

Exactly.

Brook, DDV and Hill are all currently out of the rotation with injury. That's who Cousins, Mathews, Smart and Hood are replacing at the moment.

They might be end of the bench players when everyone is healthy, but everyone isn't healthy.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#85 » by aboveAverage » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:47 pm

Middleton hasn’t gotten enough credit. After bashing him for years, I’m so delighted to eat crow time and time again the last few years. He’s been downright elite.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#86 » by DingleJerry » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:56 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Middleton hasn’t gotten enough credit. After bashing him for years, I’m so delighted to eat crow time and time again the last few years. He’s been downright elite.

Has that massive Mids hater made a re-appearance yet? Daviddunn or something like that I think.

My take was I liked him as a player and was generally a defender of him. Even though I disliked paying the absolute max and thought it was too much or at least we could've played hardball a bit ot help the cap. But acknowledging he was very good and they had no choice but to keep him due to how the cap works. Thus far even that take is wrong though as he actually has improved since the signing, alleviating the fear of guy coasting once he gets the payday. Still isn't quite at the dream level #2 due to lack of handle/quickness but he's improved so much that it's close enough.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#87 » by skones » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:58 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:Middleton hasn’t gotten enough credit. After bashing him for years, I’m so delighted to eat crow time and time again the last few years. He’s been downright elite.

Has that massive Mids hater made a re-appearance yet? Daviddunn or something like that I think.

My take was I liked him as a player and was generally a defender of him. Even though I disliked paying the absolute max and thought it was too much or at least we could've played hardball a bit ot help the cap. Thus far even that take is wrong though as he actually has improved since the signing, alleviating the fear of guy coasting once he gets the payday. Still isn't quite at the dream level #2 due to lack of handle/quickness but he's improved so much that it's close enough.

His last posts were on June 8th. A day after the Bucks went down 0-2 to the Nets. Here was one of them. (First part Re: Giannis)

DavidDunn21 wrote:And because of this he won't be a star in the second half of his career. He'll be around, but as 2020 Dwight Howard. A Rondo guy filling out rosters.

Also, Khris Middleton sucks.

Guy can kiss my ass.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#88 » by blazza18 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:14 pm

DD got banned for "reasons".
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#89 » by DrWood » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:46 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
cousins is on a nongauranteed deal and right now this minute has one foot out of the league. what do you mean cousins isnt end of the bench?

He's literally the only big reserve.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#90 » by DrWood » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:59 pm

His shooting, rebounding, and all-around play has been down compared to his peak. I'm hoping this is not the start of a lasting decline and he can step it up a bit the rest of the year.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#91 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:07 pm

emunney wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
Cousins is the primary backup big. He's not an end of the bench player at all.

i understand why the board is really excited to have cousins but it remains to be seen if hes still an nba basketball player

personally i feel hes too immobile to play effectively. defensively and in space its been hard to keep my eyes on him. god forbid a pass is a foot to the right or left he wont make it there.

he has been a nice finisher when he gets a running start against other backups and hes been quick to pass...... but that doesnt make him anything. hes on a non gauranteed contract and is thankful to have this one last oppurtunity with us. as fans we shouldnt get it wrong what is going on. its still a tryout happening out there

The thing about Cousins is we really need him right now, he's got to be out there, so in this context, it's not accurate to cite his playing as evidence we didn't take this game seriously. He's not an end of the bench player right now. He's in the normal rotation unless/until we find someone better.

I think he's played well overall although he's totally ground bound and hasn't really made the appropriate adjustments yet. He's still playing as if he's going to contest vertically, and he needs to be focused on study and beating the offense to spots. We're not really going to find out if he's up to that task unless he's still playing for us come playoffs since there isn't much detail in the advance scouting players get during the regular season.

i think its fabulous we gave him a shot. its fun as hell seeing him out there in our gear and im really rooting hard he shows something.

i do agree we need somebody in his role at least until lopez situation clarifys itself.

id love to hear about and watch our other options develop over the next 2-3 months. thats basically all im on about.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#92 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:12 pm

DrWood wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
cousins is on a nongauranteed deal and right now this minute has one foot out of the league. what do you mean cousins isnt end of the bench?

i got you. hes also a guy who could get cut tomorrow and not be owed a penny more than hes already received and we could go another route.

thats all im suggesting

i would be disappointed if that happened btw. ive enjoyed the boogie experience. even last night i found myself watching him exclusively even as he floundered all over the court ...i was completely mesmerized and unaware of whatever else was happening in the game it didnt seem to matter on an enjoyment level. i love when we bring guys in that enrapture me that way. it feels like summer league watching us with him out there in that sense. lets keep his shot alive... for now anyway!!
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,497

Post#93 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:49 am

DrWood wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

We literally have the best backup center in NBA history. It's Giannis.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#94 » by Perishable517 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:51 am

LuessiT wrote:
drone3 wrote:Hood is basically Snell without a shot

Snell was more useful. Hood is far more skilled in some areas but he still doesn't meet the threshold for these to make efficient use in an NBA game.
And, the Snell about to eat venison commercial. Snell will live in my heart.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#95 » by Bucksmaniac » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:51 am

Perishable517 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
drone3 wrote:Hood is basically Snell without a shot

Snell was more useful. Hood is far more skilled in some areas but he still doesn't meet the threshold for these to make efficient use in an NBA game.
And, the Snell about to eat venison commercial. Snell will live in my heart.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app

Speaking of commercials involving Snell this BMO one for the Bulls is interesting because three of the four featured played for us at some point in our run of the last few years. Does this mean we’re destined to get Taj in the twilight of his career?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks