ImageImage

PG Charlotte: White Guys Can’t Shoot

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Re: PG Charlotte: White Guys Can’t Shoot 

Post#61 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:39 am

These guys need a point guard to play with badly. Missing shots is one thing, but we had so many brain-dead turnovers.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#62 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:06 am

Giannis and Khris have proven to the world that they can win it all together.

But damn. Defenders salivate in anticipation when Khris is a passer in isolation. Teams get into transition as Giannis rounds up for a 3. We should be blowing teams like Charlotte out of the water, but it comes down to the wire too often because we are too careless or not disciplined enough possession to possession.

Not trying to take anything away from Charlotte. They are honestly super fun.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#63 » by rilamann » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:54 am

The Bucks have obviously been coasting most of the season. But I've come to the realization that the Buck's collective BBIQ isn't good enough for them to coast.

I know we've had guys out for quite a few games this season, but we've lost a bunch of games that we still should have won. We lost them because we're dumb and continue to do the same dumb **** over and over. Last night was a perfect example. We played dumb and with half assed effort for the first 46 minutes. Yet if we had simply just played hard and played smart in final 2 minutes we would have still won the game.

Literally 2 minutes of good smart basketball would have won us this game. 2 minutes of out 48. Playing smart for 2 minutes is too much to ask of this team apparently.

Chalk up yet another one that we should have still won despite guys being out.

You look at a team like the Spurs of Duncan/Manu/Parker. Those teams coasted in the regular season, but they were still able to win a bunch of games against lesser teams because they weren't fouling jump shooters 2-3 times a game. They weren't committing stupid turnovers on a consistent basis and they weren't continuously taking terrible shots.

The Bucks are good enough to coast and still win games, but they don't play smart enough to coast and still win games.

If I was coaching a junior high school team that fouled jump shooters as many times as the Bucks did last night, I would have lost my ****. Did Ham at any point during a timeout tell these guys maybe stop fouling jump shooters? Maybe tell Giannis to not pull up for 3's in transition? Maybe tell Middleton to stop **** dribbling in traffic? Tell Nwora to not bring the ball up the court in a crucial point in the game?
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#64 » by TroyD92 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:02 am

Damn the Donte honeymoon didn't last long lol
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,738

Post#65 » by yannisk » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:51 am

Since the coaching staff uses zone defense they have to train the team to play zone defense adequately.

With 2-3 passes they had an open 3. I have not seen such a disorganized defense as I saw yesterday. (Actually I have seen when Kidd was the coach)

Middleton cannot handle much pressure when dribbling and he needs to give the ball earlier.

Giannis should reduce the amount of 3s and the baseline fadeaways.

With injuries and covid we have too many garbage players playing right now, but we have not looked very good in general. At the moment we have only Giannis and Portis for the two frontcourt positions then we have Kornet, Semi, Mamu, Thanasis
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#66 » by Antinomy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:18 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:Guys are complaining about Khris having 7 TOs, yet Giannis has 6. Typical.

We stayed in the zone WAY too long. Plus Pat & Donte combined went 0/14 from the field. That’s the game right there.

No need for any more discussion.

Turnovers suck either way....and my last post stated everyone is to blame.

Most of Giannis' turnovers are attacking the rim and going through 2-3 defenders...while most of Middleton's are unforced. He had two in a row where nobody was even close to him while he was on the 3 pt line.

Giannis had several live-ball turnovers & also had about 4 TOs in the last 5 minutes when you include the baseline airball & the ill-advised 3s with 18 on the shot clock.

He literally threw a horrible pass when we had a chance to tie at the end.

He was moving way to fast in crunch time last night. Yet Khris becomes the target because he’s the only guy who can dribble the ball up the floor.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#67 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:50 pm

RubberSoul wrote:Ham sticking with the zone for so long was asinine. Hard to see this team making it out of the 1st round at this point.

:lol:
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#68 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm

Probably the two worst losses of the season (this and Detroit) in the last 4 games, but also probably the best win (Brooklyn) in that same stretch. A big nothing-burger in the grand scheme of things, but occasionally we still see glimpses of the pre-championship jitters this team got/gets in the 4th quarter of games and crunch time situations. Unacceptable to not even get a shot off on the last possession.

Also, I've been holding back because I truly believe that the team doesn't care much about the regular season, but....maybe they should just a little bit? Everyone keeps parroting the seeding doesn't matter thing because we won last year, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree. Bucks are 16-3 at Fiserv in the Bud postseason era, and 15-14 away from Fiserv in that same span. I don't think that's an unimportant stat...
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#69 » by KidA24 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm

BigO wrote:
fan230 wrote:We could not counter the 3 pointers on defense. B frustrating.

You must have been watching a different game than me. Charlotte shot less than 30% on threes and less than 40% overall. The defense wasn't the problem. It was the offense.

One of my biggest gripes are players who aren't self aware and this game highlighted it:

1) Donte can't shoot and yet he continues to hoist threes that aren't even in the same zip code as the basket. You'd think after the first few he'd stop. Pat has been off on his shot even before the covid. When you're off, be aware and don't take the shot. Get it to someone who is shooting better that night.

2) Khris continues to turn the ball over thinking he can dribble, when he can't. Getting 11 assists is great, but not at the expense of turning the ball over 7 times. Be aware of your weaknesses.

My next biggest gripe are coaches who let players get away with not being self aware. Ham should have told Donte to stop shooting. They win the game without Donte and Pat. They came back too soon.

How well did Jason Kidd telling Giannis not to shoot work for his improvement as a shooter?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#70 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 pm

RubberSoul wrote: Hard to see this team making it out of the 1st round at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus, man. Take a deep breath.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#71 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Also, I've been holding back because I truly believe that the team doesn't care much about the regular season, but....maybe they should just a little bit? Everyone keeps parroting the seeding doesn't matter thing because we won last year, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree. Bucks are 16-3 at Fiserv in the Bud postseason era, and 15-14 away from Fiserv in that same span. I don't think that's an unimportant stat...

I agree with you but I do think they were mostly doing a good job at striking the right balance before the bad loss against Detroit and these last two duds against Charlotte. But your point is well taken, I don't think we want to finish 4th or something and have to potentially cede homecourt advantage in every series after the 1st round. That's a tough road to go down.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#72 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm

Yet another part of the season where we panic, Jrue and the rest of the top-9 come back, Bucks rally off 10 of 12, and all is right in the world. The Boogie thing is still annoying to me. Pretty much my only real problem with this season to date. Especially when damn near 50% of the current roster are bums. I get it, and its not my money, but still annoying.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#73 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:15 pm

You guys are great, man. We did the same crap last season, it's just amplified this season because of the weirdness of COVID and injuries. The Bucks are treating the regular season as a long training camp. They are literally trying stuff. Not saying they aren't trying to win, but like last season, I'm not too concerned about it. 1, 2, 3, 4 seed, when it's time to get busy (IF WE'RE HEALTHY) we'll be okay.

Still need a defensive-minded PF/C, though.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#74 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:16 pm

buckboy wrote:
RubberSoul wrote: Hard to see this team making it out of the 1st round at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus, man. Take a deep breath.

I think he's kidding.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#75 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:56 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Probably the two worst losses of the season (this and Detroit) in the last 4 games, but also probably the best win (Brooklyn) in that same stretch. A big nothing-burger in the grand scheme of things, but occasionally we still see glimpses of the pre-championship jitters this team got/gets in the 4th quarter of games and crunch time situations. Unacceptable to not even get a shot off on the last possession.

Also, I've been holding back because I truly believe that the team doesn't care much about the regular season, but....maybe they should just a little bit? Everyone keeps parroting the seeding doesn't matter thing because we won last year, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree. Bucks are 16-3 at Fiserv in the Bud postseason era, and 15-14 away from Fiserv in that same span. I don't think that's an unimportant stat...

Yup, we're in the second half of the season, virtually everyone has been in protocols, it's time to go out and win some games.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#76 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Charlotte is a bad matchup for us. We played them at full strength in December and almost lost at home. They are very good home team and it showed these last two games, which were again close.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#77 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:18 pm

KidA24 wrote:
BigO wrote:
fan230 wrote:We could not counter the 3 pointers on defense. B frustrating.

You must have been watching a different game than me. Charlotte shot less than 30% on threes and less than 40% overall. The defense wasn't the problem. It was the offense.

One of my biggest gripes are players who aren't self aware and this game highlighted it:

1) Donte can't shoot and yet he continues to hoist threes that aren't even in the same zip code as the basket. You'd think after the first few he'd stop. Pat has been off on his shot even before the covid. When you're off, be aware and don't take the shot. Get it to someone who is shooting better that night.

2) Khris continues to turn the ball over thinking he can dribble, when he can't. Getting 11 assists is great, but not at the expense of turning the ball over 7 times. Be aware of your weaknesses.

My next biggest gripe are coaches who let players get away with not being self aware. Ham should have told Donte to stop shooting. They win the game without Donte and Pat. They came back too soon.

How well did Jason Kidd telling Giannis not to shoot work for his improvement as a shooter?

To be fair, Giannis is shooting 28% from three this season so Bud giving him the greenlight to take 4 early shot clock pull-up threes a game hasn't really helped his shooting either.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,517

Post#78 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:40 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Yet another part of the season where we panic, Jrue and the rest of the top-9 come back, Bucks rally off 10 of 12, and all is right in the world. The Boogie thing is still annoying to me. Pretty much my only real problem with this season to date. Especially when damn near 50% of the current roster are bums. I get it, and its not my money, but still annoying.

I'm not shedding a tear about Boogie, but he could have helped the last two games for sure. He can score and outside of Mids/Giannis the rest of the team basically couldn't. Bummer of a week, but getting a functional guard back in the rotation will certainly help.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#79 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Antinomy wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:Guys are complaining about Khris having 7 TOs, yet Giannis has 6. Typical.

We stayed in the zone WAY too long. Plus Pat & Donte combined went 0/14 from the field. That’s the game right there.

No need for any more discussion.

Turnovers suck either way....and my last post stated everyone is to blame.

Most of Giannis' turnovers are attacking the rim and going through 2-3 defenders...while most of Middleton's are unforced. He had two in a row where nobody was even close to him while he was on the 3 pt line.

Giannis had several live-ball turnovers & also had about 4 TOs in the last 5 minutes when you include the baseline airball & the ill-advised 3s with 18 on the shot clock.

He literally threw a horrible pass when we had a chance to tie at the end.

He was moving way to fast in crunch time last night. Yet Khris becomes the target because he’s the only guy who can dribble the ball up the floor.

Yeah, obviously Khris' turnovers hurt too but I'll forgive him a little bit since he was being pressured so much by Charlotte knowing we didn't have any true PG out there to handle the ball for us. Of course he did have his share of just straight up lazy or boneheaded plays as well. Two close losses to a decent team on the road without a PG isn't the end of the world, and I'm sure at some point we'll go on another 7-9 game streak like we always do, but this regular season sucks this year all around. Still need our #1 priority to be to get to the start of the playoffs with as many players healthy as possible.
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#80 » by Coach Carter » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 am

RiotPunch wrote:Giannis and Khris have proven to the world that they can win it all together.

But damn. Defenders salivate in anticipation when Khris is a passer in isolation. Teams get into transition as Giannis rounds up for a 3. We should be blowing teams like Charlotte out of the water, but it comes down to the wire too often because we are too careless or not disciplined enough possession to possession.

Not trying to take anything away from Charlotte. They are honestly super fun.

Bobby spoke about the difference in discipline possession to possession between a contender n a non contender. We always had the talent, we just needed to play smarter n be more disciplined on every play, as this is what's required to win a chip. Watching them in the playoffs finally get things right, bud too with what he drew up, was kind of surreal, at least for me. Experience obviously plays an important role and I hating on this team at the time, obviously forgot that. You'd think now that they figured out how to win a chip, they can go on and win a second. The narrative is constantly changing and going forward, we're going to find out a lot more about this team.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks