Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Re: PG: Nets Cut Down Bucks 

Post#141 » by emunney » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:37 pm

BigO wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:
BigO wrote:This team is going nowhere until the defense is fixed. The Bucks shot 56% overall and 42% on threes and lost to a garbage team, so everyone please stop talking about the offense. Here are the problems:

1) Other than Giannis and Bobby, there is no competitive fire and much of it begins with a coach who shows no fire or urgency. PJ was a huge loss.

2) Brook will help. He is necessary for the Bucks to repeat, but him alone is not sufficient.

3) This nonsense about playing Allen more is about the worst take you can get. The offense isn't the problem and every one of the posters who talks about it has no clue about what ails this team. The Bucks won last year with PJ basically a statue on offense and Khris playing shooting guard.

Get Allen out of there and put one of Bembry or Carter in to take PJ's role. No one can replace PJ's leadership and willingness to stand up to Bud, but his defense can be replaced.
Do you think that's why they let him walk because he stood up to Bud? Maybe Bud didn't like that. Even though PJ basically saved Bud's job.

Of course there's no way to prove that, but Bud strikes me as someone who doesn't like confrontation or conflict and PJ has a much different personality.

Do I think the fact that PJ challenged Bud and sometimes did it during the game was a factor in not signing him. Yes, but the Bucks say it was $$$ and there is no way to prove otherwise. What I am sure of is that his presence, not just on the floor, is glaringly missing.

PJ and Brook were the two biggest communicators on defense. Constantly talking. Has not been replaced.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,049

Post#142 » by BigO » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:28 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:
3) This nonsense about playing Allen more is about the worst take you can get. The offense isn't the problem and every one of the posters who talks about it has no clue about what ails this team. The Bucks won last year with PJ basically a statue on offense and Khris playing shooting guard.

Khris playing SG? Did he guard SG's? Did his offensive role change?

No, and no.

There aren't really any offensive positions in today's NBA, maybe PG, but even then the primary ballhandler doesn't always initiate the playmaking.

I do agree Bembry could have a huge role in this team. I also agree that Allen would work best as a bench gunner, where it would be easier to hide him defensively. Basically, Allen is a playable version of Forbes.

However, if you can't identify positionless basketball, I don't think you can comment on what we're trying to do defensively.

We're not lockibg into anything scheme wise yet. We have little concern for seeding.

This team reminds of Lebrons 2nd Cavs run. They had poor regular season defense, and then locked teams up in the playoffs.

Only difference is, this team is far more talented than those Cavs teams.

The Bucks championship starting lineup was Khris, Jrue, Giannis, PJ and Brook. I don't care what you call each position. You seem to be hung up because I said Khris was the shooting guard. Call PJ the shooting guard. Doesn't matter. All I know is that was a team built for defense.

And the idea that any team can just switch it on during the playoffs is wishful thinking. It perpetuates the myth that there is no personnel or scheme issues that need to be addressed.

The Bucks turned it on in the playoffs last season in two very specific ways:
1) They went to a defensive lineup with PJ.
2) They changed their overwhelming drop defense to a switching one for the most part, thanks to PJ. It's no coincidence that the change corresponded to the argument on the court during the Miami series.

This season, Bud has tried everything, with not much success. I give him credit for that. But at some point, you have to find something that works.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,202

Post#143 » by Chad34 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:22 pm

How do they determine who does postgame press conferences? Would like to see someone other than Giannis step up and take some leadership and responsibility. Bud’s post games are pathetic
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Post#144 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:23 pm

BigO wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:

No, and no.

There aren't really any offensive positions in today's NBA, maybe PG, but even then the primary ballhandler doesn't always initiate the playmaking.

I do agree Bembry could have a huge role in this team. I also agree that Allen would work best as a bench gunner, where it would be easier to hide him defensively. Basically, Allen is a playable version of Forbes.

However, if you can't identify positionless basketball, I don't think you can comment on what we're trying to do defensively.

We're not lockibg into anything scheme wise yet. We have little concern for seeding.

This team reminds of Lebrons 2nd Cavs run. They had poor regular season defense, and then locked teams up in the playoffs.

The Bucks championship starting lineup was Khris, Jrue, Giannis, PJ and Brook. I don't care what you call each position. You seem to be hung up because I said Khris was the shooting guard. Call PJ the shooting guard. Doesn't matter. All I know is that was a team built for defense.

And the idea that any team can just switch it on during the playoffs is wishful thinking. It perpetuates the myth that there is no personnel or scheme issues that need to be addressed.

2) They changed their overwhelming drop defense to a switching one for the most part, thanks to PJ. It's no coincidence that the change corresponded to the argument on the court during the Miami series.

This season, Bud has tried everything, with not much success. I give him credit for that. But at some point, you have to find something that works.

Maybe you missed last regular season, but the Bucks played every defense ever conjured, to prepare for the playoffs. They then used the 1st 2 games of each playoff series as an experiment. They then adjusted their defense, and destroyed teams to finish each series.

If PJ was so genius, why did he wait until arriving to the Bucks to finally share his knowledge? I mean, all those garbage defenses he played on pre Milwaukee were desperate for help.

Is replacing Donte with PJ really going defensive? Also, the Bucks defense was actually better with Pat in place of PJ.

Bud has had the top defense in the NBA numerous times, with different teams, playing different schemes. He also had the top playoff defense, and won a championship.

It's possible Bud knows a little more about defense than you give him credit for.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,049

Post#145 » by BigO » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:07 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

No, and no.

Maybe you missed last regular season, but the Bucks played every defense ever conjured, to prepare for the playoffs. They then used the 1st 2 games of each playoff series as an experiment. They then adjusted their defense, and destroyed teams to finish each series.

If PJ was so genius, why did he wait until arriving to the Bucks to finally share his knowledge? I mean, all those garbage defenses he played on pre Milwaukee were desperate for help.

Is replacing Donte with PJ really going defensive? Also, the Bucks defense was actually better with Pat in place of PJ.

Bud has had the top defense in the NBA numerous times, with different teams, playing different schemes. He also had the top playoff defense, and won a championship.

It's possible Bud knows a little more about defense than you give him credit for.

I was waiting for you to bring out the Father Knows Best card. you didn't disappoint.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#146 » by blazza18 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:56 pm

The offense is prone to have its slumps but it definitely is the defence that is the main culprit in our drop off. Just 19th in the league since Giannis' Christmas day return. Even worse in the month of Feb.

A week can change everything so grain of salt - but with the hardest remaining schedule the rest of the way we're only two games up in the loss column from being a play in team.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,488

Post#147 » by PG Graveyard » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:17 am

blazza18 wrote:The offense is prone to have its slumps but it definitely is the defence that is the main culprit in our drop off. Just 19th in the league since Giannis' Christmas day return. Even worse in the month of Feb.

A week can change everything so grain of salt - but with the hardest remaining schedule the rest of the way we're only two games up in the loss column from being a play in team.

That’s shocking. This team defense should never be this bad with our roster. To be honest the defense is probably only going to get worse against this schedule coming up. We will continue to make zero or nonsensical adjustments.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#148 » by DrWood » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:11 am

I don't know what you guys were watching. The bucks would have won by 10 without so many turnovers and missed critical free throws.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,278

Post#149 » by fan230 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:50 am

The defense was not good, especially defending Kyrie. Yet the Bucks would have won without the critical missed free throws and with slightly less turnovers.

We really need Jrue to play better and the other two to play to their capabilities.

Hoping that Tyreke Evans works out well for the Bucks.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#150 » by DrWood » Tue Mar 1, 2022 8:00 am

fan230 wrote:The defense was not good, especially defending Kyrie. Yet the Bucks would have won without the critical missed free throws and with slightly less turnovers.

We really need Jrue to play better and the other two to play to their capabilities.

Hoping that Tyreke Evans works out well for the Bucks.

Kyrie, like KD, is a shot maker. they make contested shots all the time. The only way to stop them from making shots is if you can keep the ball out of their hands (very hard) or if you can control luck and make their shots rim out.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks