ImageImage

PG Heat: statement game.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Re: PG Heat: statement game. 

Post#141 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:36 pm

Heat still only built for the bubble. I'll be surprised if they make it out of the 1st round.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,949

Post#142 » by soxperry » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:39 pm

two thoughts

1. first time i felt real emotion for a bucks game since opening night.

2. brook's absence is a big deal against the Heat. for one, he guards Bam perfectly. he plays off and forces him to hit mid range jumpers which he could not do in the playoffs. for two, his post game is incredibly valuable against that style of defense. we spent most of the night reacting very poorly to their intensity (clearly caught off guard after walking all over Charlotte). we were being way too aggressive and out of control. a guy like Brook can just bully his way into position and make an easy bucket.

now, Brook isnt the only guy on our team that can do that. Jrue is the next best pound for pound bully ball option because of his strength and because of who is usually guarding him (pg/sg). with Brook and to a lesser extent Pat out of the lineup, Jrue has fewer dump off options to go to when Bam sneaks over. Giannis just isnt great at that rn.

in sum, this game totally rocked and we should be better equipped to handle them going forward.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,716

Post#143 » by msiris » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:44 pm

jschligs wrote:Serious question: does Miami set the best picks in the ****ing world or what? It seems we can’t do anything to fight through them, resulting in wide open 3s off a screen for Miami.
That's because we only defended it with one person. We did better when it mattered but we gave up an easy bucket to the screener. If we want another ring we will need to do better and get physical vs a team like Miami. Give them a taste of their own medicine.
Ride the tank
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#144 » by soxperry » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:44 pm

also.. remember that home opener against miami two years ago when Khris airballed the game tying shot but giannis, facing away from the hoop, caught it and flipped it in?

Khris very nearly returned the favor tonight before Bobby bailed em both out.
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#145 » by soxperry » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:50 pm

msiris wrote:
jschligs wrote:Serious question: does Miami set the best picks in the ****ing world or what? It seems we can’t do anything to fight through them, resulting in wide open 3s off a screen for Miami.
That's because we only defended it with one person. We did better when it mattered but we gave up an easy bucket to the screener. If we want another ring we will need to do better and get physical vs a team like Miami. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

this is the thing we all hated about Bud pre finals run: the drop coverage on screens. and then all of a sudden we were playing perfect defense against them last playoffs. i feel like we definitely played them better in the 4th, but i wonder if bud would rather not have given them those reps against us (but had to due mostly to gisnnis foul trouble and insane contested 3pt shooting).
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,683

Post#146 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:06 pm

Miami is an incredibly good screening team, but they also spam illegal screens like no one else I've seen in recent memory. Kind of like how Toronto just hacks the absolute **** out of Giannis, they do it so often and just hope that the officials don't call it every time. And somehow, sadly, it works more often than not. I remember watching a youtube montage that was meant to highlight Duncan Robinson's off-ball movement, and it was literally him running 3-4 dribble handoffs with Bam setting an illegal moving screen multiple times on the same possession.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#147 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:06 pm

Best game of the season.

Masterclass defensive performance by the guys in the last 6 minutes.

Giannis, Jrue, Khris all with championship caliber play to seal the win.

Never give up on a game when you have the best player on the planet. Might scroll through the Game Thread just for funsies. A guilty pleasure of mine after a win like this.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#148 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:06 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:Come on, be honest, they choked it away
(not that I'm complaining :D )

Absolutely not. We took it from them.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#149 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:07 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:The hot takes when we were down like 113-98 or something were coming in HOT.

I cannot wait to head over to the game thread. :D
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#150 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:22 pm

Just got back from the game thread. Ah, great times. My heart is full. Say it every year but its amazing how many Bucks fans, not casuals, but die hard basketball fans, continue to ignore the NBA being a game of runs. A 14 point deficit with seven minutes is never "over" with a 24 second shot clock, the ball advancing to half court on a timeout, and the best shot makers on the planet. Add the fact that the team down 14 are the reigning champs and roster the best player on the planet... C'mon now people.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#151 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:28 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Just got back from the game thread. Ah, great times. My heart is full. Say it every year but its amazing how many Bucks fans, not casuals, but die hard basketball fans, continue to ignore the NBA being a game of runs. A 14 point deficit with seven minutes is never "over" with a 24 second shot clock, the ball advancing to half court on a timeout, and the best shot makers on the planet. Add the fact that the team down 14 are the reigning champs and roster the best player on the planet... C'mon now people.

I think the win masked the fact that we're really not playing very well to be honest. We did show some signs of life, but we're nowhere near that Championship run team. Not yet anyway.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,396

Post#152 » by GoldenAntlers » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:28 pm

Started new work and up stupid early. I fell asleep after the third with a knowing feeling I was about to miss some great basketball. Hope this boosts the team going forward. How were bembry, Ibaka and Carter in the 4th?
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#153 » by soxperry » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:29 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Just got back from the game thread. Ah, great times. My heart is full. Say it every year but its amazing how many Bucks fans, not casuals, but die hard basketball fans, continue to ignore the NBA being a game of runs. A 14 point deficit with seven minutes is never "over" with a 24 second shot clock, the ball advancing to half court on a timeout, and the best shot makers on the planet. Add the fact that the team down 14 are the reigning champs and roster the best player on the planet... C'mon now people.

yeah morons, how dare you not see this coming?!

Read on Twitter
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#154 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:37 pm

I'll start by admitting I'm a PJ hater and he has the disadvantage of being on the court with Butler, but .....
He looked like a total liability out there. He tries hard and disrupts things but ultimately was ineffective on D and doesn't do anything on offense. Missed the game sealing corner 3. Idk he has a ton of bark but he was -19 this game. Feel like once we get in the playoffs and the intensity ramps up guys just overcome his intensity. Like KD was definitely annoyed by him but still scored 50.

I was at the game, so don't always have the best angles and replays so maybe he was better than I give him credit for.

Aside, why the hell were BAM and PJ in the game on the inbounds. Like ok sure they were in the corner to draw a defender but wouldn't you want Duncan Robinson or someone else there in case they leave them open?
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#155 » by WRau1 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:41 pm

After game 1 of last year's playoffs vs the Heat, the Bucks submitted a 4hr video to the NBA about the dirty **** the Heat were doing and getting away with all season vs us. The refs called it for the rest of the series. I'm guessing the Bucks will have something similar lined up if we meet in the playoffs again.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#156 » by raysbookclub » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:56 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Miami is an incredibly good screening team, but they also spam illegal screens like no one else I've seen in recent memory. Kind of like how Toronto just hacks the absolute **** out of Giannis, they do it so often and just hope that the officials don't call it every time. And somehow, sadly, it works more often than not. I remember watching a youtube montage that was meant to highlight Duncan Robinson's off-ball movement, and it was literally him running 3-4 dribble handoffs with Bam setting an illegal moving screen multiple times on the same possession.

This. Miami sets so many illegal screens. I don't like flopping, but I think when you play them, you have to draw attention to their screens. Even if they don't call the illegal screen the first time you fall, at least show the refs and make the Heat do it less. That's their offense. They really struggle to score when teams force them to be more honest with those screens.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#157 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:57 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:

I think the win masked the fact that we're really not playing very well to be honest. We did show some signs of life, but we're nowhere near that Championship run team. Not yet anyway.

And thats fine. We weren't a "championship-caliber" team at this point last season. We weren't a "championship-caliber" team for parts of every single playoff series last year. We weren't "championship-caliber" until the final seconds of game 6.

The point is we still have the best player on the planet and really good supporting cast. That is enough to win a championship. Will it be easy? F**k no. Of course not. But we're one of only a handful of teams who has a legitimate shot at it. That should be good enough for the fan base.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#158 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:00 pm

soxperry wrote:

yeah morons, how dare you not see this coming?!

Read on Twitter

Nobody saw it coming. But that doesn't mean the "its over" and "we suck" talk is any less hilarious and pathetic.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,240

Post#159 » by Sigra » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:02 pm

You can see it now in march. Our players sniff that playoffs is near

sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,961

Post#160 » by sidney lanier » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:03 pm

raysbookclub wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Miami is an incredibly good screening team, but they also spam illegal screens like no one else I've seen in recent memory. Kind of like how Toronto just hacks the absolute **** out of Giannis, they do it so often and just hope that the officials don't call it every time. And somehow, sadly, it works more often than not. I remember watching a youtube montage that was meant to highlight Duncan Robinson's off-ball movement, and it was literally him running 3-4 dribble handoffs with Bam setting an illegal moving screen multiple times on the same possession.

This. Miami sets so many illegal screens. I don't like flopping, but I think when you play them, you have to draw attention to their screens. Even if they don't call the illegal screen the first time you fall, at least show the refs and make the Heat do it less. That's literally their whole offense. They really struggle to score when teams force them to be more honest with those screens.

Of all the NBA rules that teams are allowed to flout, the screen rule is about the most abused, even more than palming or traveling. The rule says you can't extend your leg "outside the vertical plane of your body," which is what Bam does every time. That's before you even get to whether or not Miami screeners remain stationary.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks