ImageImage

PG: Bucks End Drought In Utah

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,730

Re: PG: Bucks End Drought In Utah 

Post#61 » by Wonka » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:29 am

Jrue was absolutely incredible tonight. Heā€™s been an absolute joy to watch in fourth quarters the last few months. He just flips a certain switch and makes winning play after winning play. We are beyond blessed to have him.

Great to have Brook back. He looks like heā€™s in great shape physically! Slimmest Iā€™ve seen him as a Buck for sure
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#62 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:39 am

Is Carter making the case to make the starting lineup? Serious question. I like Allen I think he's a solid player, and a bit underutilized with his shooting (they could run plays for him a la staggered screens, etc.). I'm trying to figure what type of playoff matchups the Bucks may get, and if Carter could legitimately guard opposing starting guards to open a game. If he keeps sinking his open threes it'll be hard to argue against it. Do coaches generally get annoyed with guards having to cross-match depending on offense/defense?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#63 » by RiotPunch » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:47 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:Is Carter making the case to make the starting lineup? Serious question. I like Allen I think he's a solid player, and a bit underutilized with his shooting (they could run plays for him a la staggered screens, etc.). I'm trying to figure what type of playoff matchups the Bucks may get, and if Carter could legitimately guard opposing starting guards to open a game. If he keeps sinking his open threes it'll be hard to argue against it. Do coaches generally get annoyed with guards having to cross-match depending on offense/defense?

I brought it up in the game thread, and I think it is entirely worth experimentation.

Starting the game, starting the 3rd, and closing the game, Carter could be our best bet alongside Jrue/Midds/Giannis/Lopez. It is obviously important to have Grayson out there to space the floor, but he is such a zero on defense. If Carter can maintain efficiency from deep, and that is admittedly a big if, then he just brings so much more to table. Jrue is more comfortable defending up onto bigger players, so Carter taking the smaller, quicker guards makes life so much easier for him. Not to mention having another decent ballhandler out there.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#64 » by tedbrogen » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:16 am

RiotPunch wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Is Carter making the case to make the starting lineup? Serious question. I like Allen I think he's a solid player, and a bit underutilized with his shooting (they could run plays for him a la staggered screens, etc.). I'm trying to figure what type of playoff matchups the Bucks may get, and if Carter could legitimately guard opposing starting guards to open a game. If he keeps sinking his open threes it'll be hard to argue against it. Do coaches generally get annoyed with guards having to cross-match depending on offense/defense?

I brought it up in the game thread, and I think it is entirely worth experimentation.

Starting the game, starting the 3rd, and closing the game, Carter could be our best bet alongside Jrue/Midds/Giannis/Lopez. It is obviously important to have Grayson out there to space the floor, but he is such a zero on defense. If Carter can maintain efficiency from deep, and that is admittedly a big if, then he just brings so much more to table. Jrue is more comfortable defending up onto bigger players, so Carter taking the smaller, quicker guards makes life so much easier for him. Not to mention having another decent ballhandler out there.

Another aspect is if Carter is taking the main ballhandler, you move Jrue offball. Add that in with Brook protecting the paint which also moves Giannis offball and baby youā€™ve got a stew going.

Jrue and Giannis wreck teams when they can free lance offball. Plus, you canā€™t just screen with their man to switch them on ball since they doesnā€™t do anything except burn shot clock.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#65 » by RiotPunch » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:21 am

tedbrogen wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

Another aspect is if Carter is taking the main ballhandler, you move Jrue offball. Add that in with Brook protecting the paint which also moves Giannis offball and baby youā€™ve got a stew going.

Jrue and Giannis wreck teams when they can free lance offball. Plus, you canā€™t just screen with their man to switch them on ball since they doesnā€™t do anything except burn shot clock.

No doubt, as I stated in my last sentence, Jevon is just straight up better handling the rock than Grayson. I wouldn't go so far to call Jevon the main ballhandler, but definitely capable of doing so in spots to let Jrue do his thing off-ball, which I agree kind of unlocks a lot of his strengths.
#FreeChuckDiesel
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#66 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 am

tedbrogen wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

That's one of the main reasons I thought about it. Carter is excellent on the ball at point of attack. Then you have literally two of the best defenders on the planet roaming around the court making guys second guess their passes. If Brook is in (hell even Ibaka) manning the paint and boxing guys out that's quite an imposing playoff lineup.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#67 » by aboveAverage » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:26 am

Jrue has been so good this season. Probably his best season ever?

Please just stay healthy. This team is rolling and is primed for another championship. Just have to stay healthy.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#68 » by RiotPunch » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:27 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:I brought it up in the game thread, and I think it is entirely worth experimentation.

That's one of the main reasons I thought about it. Carter is excellent on the ball at point of attack. Then you have literally two of the best defenders on the planet roaming around the court making guys second guess their passes. If Brook is in (hell even Ibaka) manning the paint and boxing guys out that's quite an imposing playoff lineup.

Bud schooling Nash on how to utilize Carter would be such a satisfying ending to the "missing out on Dragic" saga.
#FreeChuckDiesel
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#69 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:44 am

Gotta give Bud credit for rolling with Carter in the 4th quarter.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#70 » by DrWood » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:44 am

Nice win.
drdrG
Rookie
And1: 812

Post#71 » by drdrG » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:01 am

greekbuck34 wrote:Giannis and Jrue are clearly our two best players this season.
Carter is here to stay. He plays Bledsoe defense but he can also shoot open 3s.

Now tell me that we don't win the Warriors game if we start switch everything and with Giannis having such a great rebounding night.

Non scoring centers like Gobert, Bjeliza and Looney can't beat elite teams no matter their miss matches.

Didn't realize until you said it how similar he is to Bledsoe on D. Better shooter and lower usage is perfect
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#72 » by Perseus1966 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:08 am

machu46 wrote:Iā€™m sure I wasnā€™t the only one who noticed but massive moving screen by Gobert to free up Donovan to choke once more at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doris noticed it and she said it was a great screen.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#73 » by Jez2983 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:40 am

Just watching the replay now, but Donovan Mitchell hitting early shots is a pretty good sign he will be chucking the rest of the game.

Also we had a brilliant end to the first. Some big threes by Wes and Jrue.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#74 » by jschligs » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:12 am

Had to turn off at halftime, but our 3rd quarters are a serious issue. Good teams will end us if we give up 3rd quarters like that. It was 30-11 before our 13-4 run.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,033

Post#75 » by mediocrityrules » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:20 am

jschligs wrote:Had to turn off at halftime, but our 3rd quarters are a serious issue. Good teams will end us if we give up 3rd quarters like that. It was 30-11 before our 13-4 run.

It's amazing just how bad our 3rd quarters are, as opposed to the 4th quarters where we tend to play true championship-winning basketball. They're night and day in how we approach them.
Circling calendars since 2021
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#76 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:41 am

fan230 wrote:
rilamann wrote:Ever do something all wrong but it turned out alright....lol. (Carter over Dragic)

Maybe Jennings for Knight (?) and Khris as a throw in?

Think that's a myth. Dumars didn't want to add Middleton, Hammond insisted on him.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#77 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:53 am

Giannis at center lineups continue to cook at closing time.

Neither Monty Williams nor Steve Nash ever unlocked Jevon Carter the way Bud has.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#78 » by Jez2983 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:41 pm

jschligs wrote:Had to turn off at halftime, but our 3rd quarters are a serious issue. Good teams will end us if we give up 3rd quarters like that. It was 30-11 before our 13-4 run.

While I get what you are saying, we beat Utah, an excellent team, in Utah. I'd humbly suggest that we are beating good teams, but with some minor simple fixes we will be even stronger.

Our hustle on chaos plays on both ends must be close to the best in the league.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#79 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:12 pm

Tired. Glad I stayed up. Great to have Brook back. Jrue's motor is crazy. Never seems like he's out of breath and is just relentless on both sides of the ball. Giannis was "just ok" and still managed 30 and 15. Big props to Hassan Whiteside. That might have been the best defensive performance I've witnessed against the MVP version of Giannis. 21 years since our last win in Utah. Crazy.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#80 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Jevon has been awesome and I'm very happy to have him, but not ready to anoint him as anything yet. Think the who starts question is answered when Pat gets back, with both Carter and Allen off the bench. But ultimately, it matters less than ensuring we play the right guys for the right matchup. They all could end up with pretty similar minutes, but who we need will be based on who we play. And who is hot.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks