ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#101 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:52 pm

chonestown wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I think Potrykus had a solid take on it.

Yes, terrible competition. I'm not printing another conference title banner, but given terrible competition, imagine if they were missing all of those 3s against them. Even if competition was too easy, they were hitting the shots.

Based on who they reportedly sniffed around during portal season and the lack of other options on the roster, they must feel Hodges is ready. He'll have to be. Do not want to see Wahl picking up emergency minutes at the 5.

Agree, though I do think some of that was just "mismanagement" if you want to call it that. Maybe they could've cast a wider net or started with lesser targets. My thought process was that they needed something more with all of the quotes that he wasn't ready late last season/in the offseason.

All of that said, it makes sense. They shot for Vander Plas and Basile, 2 guys that could safely play 20-30 minutes for one season. I think you're fine burying Hodges for an extra year for that. After those guys, they were basically kicking the tires on a few guys that they may feel comfortable playing 10 minutes/game at most - if Hodges seemed any bit ready to go, basically who cares. He may already be better than those guys.

It's still strange to leave 2 scholarships completely open. But it likely is a big nothing burger unless they suffer a bunch of injuries.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#102 » by 4xBuck » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:03 pm

Basile would have been perfect. Wisconsin kid, too... Someone told me he was in, then he was swayed by starter minutes at VT.

:banghead:
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#103 » by DingleJerry » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:04 pm

4xBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Yes, terrible competition. I'm not printing another conference title banner, but given terrible competition, imagine if they were missing all of those 3s against them. Even if competition was too easy, they were hitting the shots

Yes they did hit their shots and looked good doing it. Ilver and Klesmit looked they have reals shots. Davis probably wont be as good a shooter as he showed in France. I still think he's gonna be a contributor and the other shooters looks solid.

Davis has a really really good shot form. I didn't watch any of this Euro stuff but from watching in warm ups last year and in games last year I think Davis can/should be a good 3 pt shooter when he has wide open shots. I know they didn't go in during games last year, but the form is good. Don't be surprised if he's solid.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#104 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Nolan Winter is announcing tomorrow. Some of the tea leaves are saying UW now after some MN steam.

Another guy from Lakeville, MN. Seems to have a fair amount of similarities with the stretch 4s we've recently had.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,647

Post#105 » by chonestown » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Nolan Winter is announcing tomorrow. Some of the tea leaves are saying UW now after some MN steam.

Another guy from Lakeville, MN. Seems to have a fair amount of similarities with the stretch 4s we've recently had.

When Blackwell passes to Winter who proceeds to find a dribble lane to the basket that is something I will call a John Nolan drive.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Vasquectomy
Ballboy
And1: 53

Post#106 » by Vasquectomy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 pm

And if he pulls up before he has no choice but to take it all the way downtown, man, that’s a pretty look.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#107 » by chonestown » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:31 pm

Vasquectomy wrote:And if he pulls up before he has no choice but to take it all the way downtown, man, that’s a pretty look.

Second best view of the city skyline!

Best view of the Cap area is from O'Sheridan St, a short dead-end stretch a couple blocks from Bernie's Beach.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-DCB
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#108 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Beautiful timing as Davison leaves NCAA basketball:

Read on Twitter
?s=12&t=qkxA4i5c71_ztUTQTvfvlw
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,189

Post#109 » by wallus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:59 am

chonestown wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Nolan Winter is announcing tomorrow. Some of the tea leaves are saying UW now after some MN steam.

When Blackwell passes to Winter who proceeds to find a dribble lane to the basket that is something I will call a John Nolan drive.

This is the quality posting that keeps me coming back. A++ (2 pluses for those scoring at home)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#110 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,657

Post#111 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:32 pm

Yalden's Twitter handle is gusbus. Lol.

Read on Twitter
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#112 » by LUKE23 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:47 pm

Haven't really followed Wisconsin BB recruiting close at all recently, and when my buddy texted our sports group thread yesterday with "Lakeville pipeline continues for Bucky" I responded, "I don't even need to look, it's a white three-star power forward that has a lot of developing to do". :)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#113 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 5, 2022 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#114 » by Diggr14 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 9:49 pm

Hope he comes back, but he could be a transfer option for blue bloods with great masters programs (Duke) comes to mind. As a one year plug in for them, makes sense.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#115 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Diggr14 wrote:Hope he comes back, but he could be a transfer option for blue bloods with great masters programs (Duke) comes to mind. As a one year plug in for them, makes sense.

Nothing would surprise me in today's transfer world, but my guess would be that either he is looking at starting his pro career in Europe vs. sticking around at Wisconsin.

If things do go well for the team this year, they could be looking at a top 10/15 sort of team going into next year with essentially the whole team coming back if he does return for the 5th year.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#116 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Media picking Badgers 9th...I mean, I have the same, "how are we going to replace ____" feeling I usually do, but do these guys ever learn?
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#117 » by BUCKnation » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:43 pm

Losing Davis is obviously a huge void, but I think Chucky and Wahl will be good enough to carry the team to a decent record, esp if Chucky takes a step.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#118 » by chonestown » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Extremely rare Chones-penned basketball content coming up. Buckle in caballeros.

I did attend the scrimmage yesterday. There was little promotion and I expected a light crowd. I was correct. What I did not expect was a crisp, well-played simulation characterized by great shooting.

Wahl - whom I have a habit of calling "Jacob" due to absolutely poisoned online brain - did the normal Wahl things, but he also hit 3/4 from deep. Shot did not look hinky. If Wahl is hitting upwards of 35% from 3 this year, he's an easy 1st team B10 pick. Throw that in with his craftiness in the paint and there might be an honest-to-god offensive weapon. Low sample size and alladat, but it's hard not to adjust expectations skyward.

Charles Hepburn of the plains ran the show as expected. Looks fully recovered, played his trademark pesky defense and mixed in scoring from all three levels

Conner Essegian, hoo-boy. What we have with Connor Essegian, as Hubie Brown might opine, is a long-distance marksman, okay. You have someone with a compact, repeatable stroke who catches the ball ready to get up. This guy right here, he can give you instant offense. The homey is absolutely lethal from downtown, as in the net did not move as the shots found purchase. That he connected from deep often enough is good news, but the way he did it is even more encouraging. Just completely effortless. A damn sniper. He will find the floor simply based on that. Would not shock me to see him starting before conference play begins.

I cannot imagine Klesmit will not start. He's an upperclassman and is clearly a savvy scorer. Would have loved if he started at UW to begin with, but he'll quickly find a spot. One of those guys who Gets. It. Having a hard time finding an immediate point of comparison for him. Probably too big/not athletic enough to be a true swing player, but oversized to fit in the backcourt.

Crowl: not a lot of touches, but body continues to mature. His few back-to-the-basket moves were decisive and displayed good footwork. Another good Minnesota pivot player, I have read this story before, I will continue to subscribe to this newsletter

Hodges: inconclusive. Has an impressive wingspan, plays strong, but didn't show much on offense. No idea if he can be a garbage man or hit from the wing. He will have to play, because there's not much size other than Crowl. My guess is there will be plenty of lineups featuring Wahl as a 5. Wahl looks strong, plays strong, but you don't want to grind him to a nub playing a position he's not optimally suited for.

Jordan Davis: hit a 3, might be the guy used to put shackles on opposing wings, but he's probably going be coming off the bench and not wearing a garish-colored suit as his named is called in MSG next June. Showed some ability off the dribble, but would think Klesmit eclipses him in the rotation.

Gilmore: no longer a sapling, seemed more assertive, but I dunno.

Ilver: eh, didn't show too much yesterday. I have decided to call him Markus Silver and am praying for him to sink Marquette with a decisive late-game shot if only to see the headline "Silver Better than Gold; UW Sinks Marquette." To those who say this is a ridiculous scenario, dreams are free, mfer. Can I live?

The walk-ons: Luke Haertle and Ross (Hey I'm walking herrrrrrrre!) Candelino may be the first walk-ons to make a serious impact since, I dunno, Clay Hansen. Haertle looks way more impressive than McGory. He's straight out of the football qb plays pg at Wisconsin script, but he already has his body in basketball form. Physically, he looks like he's year 2 in the Davidson timeline. Strong with the ball, good vision as a passer and is decidedly not scurrrrrrred. A guy who can spot up from 3 and take advantage of an open lane. Candelino looks like an option as a wing guy in the future. Puts the P in the POW of preferred walk on. Put up good numbers yesterday, but, and I'm staying on a theme here, the numbers didn't seem fluky.

Cannot stress enough how crisp the scrimmage was. Historically, these are usually sloppy affairs and sometimes outright shtshows, as last year's was. Shooting is traditionally horrible and I think both squads were over 50% from deep. There's maybe two guys who are top-line talent (Chuckie, Wahl), but they look deep. For them to look this together this early in a camp is an eye-opener for me. I hesitate to make any predictions, but I'm pleasantly surprised after this peek.

Also, in a disgusting display of nepotism, Isaac Gard found the court. Fire Gard.

-DCB
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#119 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:31 pm

Chones coming for that guy on Buckyville who does his 10 things post after the games. Really well written and good info! :lift: :usa:
chonestown
General Manager

Post#120 » by chonestown » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:45 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Chones coming for that guy on Buckyville who does his 10 things post after the games. Really well written and good info! :lift: :usa:

Thanks. That's a lot of words for me.

-DCB

Return to Milwaukee Bucks