OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#341 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:Just got Prime Video. What are some must-watch movies/shows/docs? I hear The Boys is good?

Thirteen Lives (movie)
Outer Range (series)
All the Old Knives (movie)
Invincible (like an animated version of The Boys, sorta)
The Voyeurs (throwback thriller like you got in the 90s)
The Man in the High Castle (alternate history series)
Patriot (dark comedy series)

All recommend.
Awesome call on Patriot. It's first season was awesome. Really underappreciated show.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#342 » by buckboy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm

I like Reacher as well even though it's quite silly.
RIngs of Power is pretty good.
I liked NIght Sky but it was canceled after one season so that sucks.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#343 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:41 pm

buckboy wrote:I like Reacher as well even though it's quite silly.
What Reacher got right is they didn't try and get cute and be more than they needed to be. It's just a straight up 'heres a bad ass who's going to solve a crime and beat up some bad guys' that was it. Nothing more nothing less.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,359

Post#344 » by MoreTrife » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:50 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:Just got Prime Video. What are some must-watch movies/shows/docs? I hear The Boys is good?

Patriot is one of my favorite shows ever. Not sure it's for everyone. Not even sure how to describe it. About a unofficial government assassin who works undercover at a piping company based in Wisconsin but who actually would prefer to be a folk singer. It's fantastic.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#345 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:25 am

Thanks everybody!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#346 » by emunney » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:05 am

emunney wrote:

Paper Girls

Adding: The Expanse, Fleabag, Wayne, Invincible
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Post#347 » by ejn1214 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 am

emunney wrote:
emunney wrote:

Paper Girls

Adding: The Expanse, Fleabag, Wayne, Invincible

Adding:Sneaky Pete
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#348 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:34 am

The Woman King is really **** good. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#349 » by Prez » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:04 am

Mr. Robot
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#350 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 am

I missed Letterkenny's International Women's Day episode when I did my first binge. It's the funniest 26 minutes I've seen in a long time.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#351 » by buckboy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
buckboy wrote:I like Reacher as well even though it's quite silly.
What Reacher got right is they didn't try and get cute and be more than they needed to be. It's just a straight up 'heres a bad ass who's going to solve a crime and beat up some bad guys' that was it. Nothing more nothing less.

For sure. It's true to the source material. The baddest bad-ass of all time has come to your town. Deal with it.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#352 » by WRau1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:50 pm

humanrefutation wrote:The Woman King is really **** good. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

Gross.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,065

Post#353 » by FrieAaron » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm

Re: Prime Content, I'd recommend "Manchester by the Sea." Great film but very, very sad.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#354 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm

WRau1 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:The Woman King is really **** good. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

Gross.

huh?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:23 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

Gross.

huh?

Guessing it's this.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#356 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:43 pm

I think it's fair to point out double-standards and I have heard of the controversy about how the movie kind of skirts around the fact that they, you know, murdered and enslaved thousands of people. But I'll say the same thing that I say to the people that always (fairly) point out things like, "Lincoln was still a racist and killed Native Americans", and "George Washington owned slaves".

And that's that history is complicated as are historical figures, and we probably need to stop constantly viewing history and such figures through the narrow lens of our modern sensibilities and 21st century moral views. My girlfriend and I plan on seeing the movie anyways because it definitely gives us a view into a piece of history and culture that if not for Davis' involvement, probably would never be getting proper representation on screen. Historical white-washing/inaccuracies aside.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:48 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think it's fair to point out double-standards and I have heard of the controversy about how the movie kind of skirts around the fact that they, you know, murdered and enslaved thousands of people. But I'll say the same thing that I say to the people that always (fairly) point out things like, "Lincoln was still a racist and killed Native Americans", and "George Washington owned slaves".

And that's that history is complicated as are historical figures, and we probably need to stop constantly viewing history and such figures through the narrow lens of our modern sensibilities and 21st century moral views. My girlfriend and I plan on seeing the movie anyways because it definitely gives us a view into a piece of history and culture that if not for Davis' involvement, probably would never be getting proper representation on screen. Historical white-washing/inaccuracies aside.

Like most theatrical movies this one wasn't on my radar, but from what I've read from the director and Davis is that this is a largely made up story with many people who didn't exist and battles that didn't happen. They were out to make a big hollywood crowd pleaser, which it sounds like they did.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#358 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Gross.

huh?

Guessing it's this.

I was not aware of the criticisms when I went to see it, but read about them afterwards as I followed up to learn more about the historical accuracy of the film. The movie does talk about the Dahomey's involvement in the slave trade - and the characters do critique it - but it certainly casts them in a more positive light than their main antagonists - the Oyo Empire and the European/South American slavers themselves.

Ultimately, it is a fictional story. While it was set in a setting that had a relationship with history, which involved an actual unit of elite woman warriors, it takes lots of dramatic license in order to tell a nuanced and powerful story about the women themselves. The cast - especially Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, Sheila Atim, and Thuso Mbedu - were fantastic and their story was very compelling.

I understand the concerns about its inaccuracy, truly. But this is certainly not the first film/show to take dramatic license with history (see Braveheart, 300, The Crown, The Patriot, Argo, Pearl Harbor, etc). Those films didn't face the same kind of uproar, and that's because they're not documentaries. Neither was this film.

For me, The Woman King was a thrilling, heart-wrenching film that I thoroughly recommend watching. But I also would encourage anyone who watches it to follow up and read the actual history as well.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#359 » by RiotPunch » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:47 pm

I echo the Thirteen Lives rec on Amazon.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#360 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 pm

I have a stay away on Prime... Tin Star. I like Tim Roth and Christna Hendricks but that show sucks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks