Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,046

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#381 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:13 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:The algorithm recommended Big Sky last night so I started it.

Spoiler:
Holy **** the end of pilot episode walloped me. I can't even really remember the last time I was caught that off guard watching something.

I have no idea if this show is good at all, or even entertaining. But the pilot earned itself at least a few more episodes of viewing.

Big Sky is good. I've watched since the beginning. Season 3 premiered last night but it needs to be watched from the beginning. Based on the CJ Box books.

Cool, I'll stick with it.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#382 » by blazza18 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 am

ReasonablySober wrote:The algorithm recommended Big Sky last night so I started it.

Spoiler:
Holy **** the end of pilot episode walloped me. I can't even really remember the last time I was caught that off guard watching something.

I have no idea if this show is good at all, or even entertaining. But the pilot earned itself at least a few more episodes of viewing.

Spoiler:
It was well done by the marketing department because I'm pretty sure he got all the top billing in the promos in the lead up to the premier.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#383 » by Prez » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:53 pm

Saw the first couple episodes of the new Dahmer series and it’s as intensely disturbing and unnecessary as I expected.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#384 » by WRau1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:43 pm

Prez wrote:Saw the first couple episodes of the new Dahmer series and it’s as intensely disturbing and unnecessary as I expected.

Yup, I have a hard time w/ anything like this. I can watch gore, horror or psychological stuff all day but tell me it's based on true events and for some reason, I can't do it. No need to relive this stuff.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#385 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:31 pm

I watched a bunch of stuff while flying or quarantining in London. Mostly not new.

Drive - Surprising. Very good, enjoyed it significantly. Ryan is probably my favorite actor, and this felt like it was right in his wheelhouse. What surprised me was that it was more gory than I expected, but very well done and felt appropriately used.

The Gray Man - Mediocre? Surprisingly poorly acted from Ryan (for him), and the rest of the cast bordered on bad. Felt like something I'd seen about a dozen times. Stopped half way through.

The Social Dilemma - Intriguing, but I didn't like the dramatizations at all and thought they actually detracted from the message. Made it all feel sensationalized, which is too bad because generally speaking I don't think it was or is.

Licorice Pizza - Boring. Felt like it should be right up my alley, but did not hit with me at all. Got incredibly board and turned it off 45 minutes in.

Frida - Fascinating. Salma Hayek was brilliant. I didn't know anything about Frida Kahlo before watching - not sure if that was a good or bad thing.

The Imitation Game - Conflicting. This was 'the Alan Turing movie.' Inspiring, but also heartbreaking. Horrible to see how he was treated on numerous levels.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#386 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:35 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I watched a bunch of stuff while flying or quarantining in London. Mostly not new.

Drive - Surprising. Very good, enjoyed it significantly. Ryan is probably my favorite actor, and this felt like it was right in his wheelhouse. What surprised me was that it was more gory than I expected, but very well done and felt appropriately used.

The Gray Man - Mediocre? Surprisingly poorly acted from Ryan (for him), and the rest of the cast bordered on bad. Felt like something I'd seen about a dozen times. Stopped half way through.

The Social Dilemma - Intriguing, but I didn't like the dramatizations at all and thought they actually detracted from the message. Made it all feel sensationalized, which is too bad because generally speaking I don't think it was or is.

Licorice Pizza - Boring. Felt like it should be right up my alley, but did not hit with me at all. Got incredibly board and turned it off 45 minutes in.

Frida - Fascinating. Salma Hayek was brilliant. I didn't know anything about Frida Kahlo before watching - not sure if that was a good or bad thing.

The Imitation Game - Conflicting. This was 'the Alan Turing movie.' Inspiring, but also heartbreaking. Horrible to see how he was treated on numerous levels.
Grandpa? Is that you?

Sorry. Just teasing. A wildly disparate set of mostly old movies.

If Drive surprised you you need to step up your gatekeeping. It's 93% on RT and is probably the biggest Arthouse Action movie in the last 12 years. It's all over best of lists, etc.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#387 » by jschligs » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:52 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Prez wrote:Saw the first couple episodes of the new Dahmer series and it’s as intensely disturbing and unnecessary as I expected.

Yup, I have a hard time w/ anything like this. I can watch gore, horror or psychological stuff all day but tell me it's based on true events and for some reason, I can't do it. No need to relive this stuff.

I heard a lot of the families are upset as it reopens bad memories. Can't blame them. I saw episode one and will continue to watch as I'm all about crime/murder stories.

I also started The Patient on FXX. It's a great show 5 episodes in.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,046

Post#388 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#389 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:07 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I watched a bunch of stuff while flying or quarantining in London. Mostly not new.

Grandpa? Is that you?

Sorry. Just teasing. A wildly disparate set of mostly old movies.

If Drive surprised you you need to step up your gatekeeping. It's 93% on RT and is probably the biggest Arthouse Action movie in the last 12 years. It's all over best of lists, etc.

No no, I'm a big Ryan Gosling fan. The movie didn't surprise me; the gore did. It was not what I was expecting.

But that said, I don't consume much media. Thus the list of mostly old movies - just picked from Delta/Netflix what interested me or things I've been meaning to watch for years (like Drive).
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,375

Post#390 » by MoreTrife » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh man, that trailer has started the hype train with me. I need to temper my expectations because it will be impossible to live up to my love of the games. But that trailer looked good.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,925

Post#391 » by stellation » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 am

MoreTrife wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh man, that trailer has started the hype train with me. I need to temper my expectations because it will be impossible to live up to my love of the games. But that trailer looked good.

I honestly had a little shiver when I heard the clicker noise. Very excited!
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#392 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:00 pm

City on a Hill is an under the radar show I like. It's on Showtime. I waited until season 3 finished last Sunday so I can binge. Kevin Bacon, Aldis Hodge. John Doman also in it (The Wire).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#393 » by skones » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 pm

jschligs wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

I heard a lot of the families are upset as it reopens bad memories. Can't blame them. I saw episode one and will continue to watch as I'm all about crime/murder stories.

I also started The Patient on FXX. It's a great show 5 episodes in.

Understandably so but my gf and I are big murder buddies and we're less than a block from where Club 219 was.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,738

Post#394 » by emunney » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Love that Atlanta took four years off and now is doing 2 seasons in 6 months.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#395 » by BUCKnation » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Atlanta has been excellent this season, some top tier performances from Glover and Tyree-henry. I enjoyed last season during the normal episodes, but they probably had too many anthology episodes, so I'm glad they are covering the main characters more.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#396 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:02 am

So if you guys haven't seen the clip Ryan Reynolds just dropped about the new Deadpool movie you really should check it out

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#397 » by ClassicJack » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:55 am

RRyder823 wrote:So if you guys haven't seen the clip Ryan Reynolds just dropped about the new Deadpool movie you really should check it out

Meh. I'm tired of Jackman as Wolverine. Ready to move on to the MCU version of X-men. This just seems like it will delay it more.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#398 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 am

ClassicJack wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:So if you guys haven't seen the clip Ryan Reynolds just dropped about the new Deadpool movie you really should check it out

Meh. I'm tired of Jackman as Wolverine. Ready to move on to the MCU version of X-men. This just seems like it will delay it more.

Screw that. If Deadpool was going to be a legitmate member of the Avengers sure maybe. Set up the continuity within the MCU.

Deadpool however is its own separate kinda of thing and having Jackman back in the role opposite Reynolds is going to be great

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#399 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:03 pm

I'll always love him in the role, but Jackman coming back as Wolverine in anything other than a brief cameo feels incredibly forced. Just keeps continuing this trend of comic book movies essentially devolving further and further into cheap fan-fiction.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,228

Post#400 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:09 pm

I thought Jackman said he was done with the character after Logan? I guess money talks.

I've never been a fan of the Deadpool movies anyway so, ehhhh.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Bucks