ImageImage

OT: Lost Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

OT: Lost Discussion 

Post#1 » by aboveAverage » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:45 pm

I know a lot of you here watch Lost, so let's have a little discussion about it. What do you think of the whole "Oceanic 6" and the glimpses into the future they show? I personally don't like it. I don't want to know what happens in the future until the very end of the series. Although, I have to admit, the show did get a lot more exciting. It is definitely addicting. Yet they still do the same old tricks, leading the viewer in circles for numerous shows.

And by the way, even if you've never watched Lost, I suggest you do, because Evangeline Lily is SMOKING HOT. That's one of the main reasons I watch the show.

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#2 » by fam3381 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Well, they might still be leading us in circles but the flash forward concept is pretty different from everything we'd seen up until this point. I like it a lot.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#3 » by xTitan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Flash forward was and is brilliant, saved the series IMO.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#4 » by fam3381 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

I think it's been amazing how they took a show that was initially just about getting off the island and built in so many storylines that the island escape aspect is really secondary to the characters and their development...the Kate/Sawyer/Jack triangle, Ben vs. Locke, Desmond/Penny, the story of the Others, etc etc etc

I think that's why they can afford to do the Oceanic 6 angle...the best thing that happened to the show was deciding when they would end the show, which gives them the freedom to be working both forwards and backwards at the same time. If they were trying to stretch the show out infinitely then they wouldn't be able to do that.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#5 » by xTitan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:34 pm

As the storyline read Thursday it was originally the Oceanic 8, then became six. I think most people are assuming everyone else will die, I think they all just stayed on the Island with the exception of Jack's hot blonde half sister, she will get whcked and he blames himself.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,738

Post#6 » by msiris » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:01 pm

After this season there will be only 2 more years. Fox confirmed it in an interview. This show throws you when you least expect it. I thought Kate was expecting and now she has Arron. So I am thinking Claire will die.
Ride the tank
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,821

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Before this season Fox said there would be 48 more episodes, 3 years of 16. This year will fall a little short due to the strike. Next season will make up the "lost" Lost episodes from this year and in February of 2010 the last 16 will begin airing.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#8 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:24 pm

aboveAverage wrote:I know a lot of you here watch Lost, so let's have a little discussion about it. What do you think of the whole "Oceanic 6" and the glimpses into the future they show? I personally don't like it. I don't want to know what happens in the future until the very end of the series.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the show and have watched it from the day it first aired, but I really do not like the "flash-forwards"
I absolutely loved the flashback and I thought they had a great formula going.

I'm not going to bother with any spoiler alerts here for anything that has already aired, because the thread is titled "Lost Discussion" so people that don't want those spoilers shouldn't be in this thread. Anything people have learned from internet leaks, etc. that hasn't aired yet SHOULD be in spoiler font though.

Anyway, now that I've got that disclaimer out of the way....
One reason why I really don't like the "flash-forwards" is that now if any of the Oceanic 6 (plus Ben and anyone else who gets revealed as still being alive) are ever in any kind of "jeopardy" while still on the island, there isn't much suspense because we know they won't die. Not that I would have expected them to kill Jack or Kate off of the show, but you never know, especially with a show like this. Unfortunately, now I do know. They live. For sure. This has more of an impact on a character like Sayid. Now I know he won't die on the island. I wouldn't have known that otherwise. They have killed off a few characters, after all. Particularly Boone, Shannon, and especially Charlie. If they can kill off Charlie, they could have absolutely killed off Sayid. Except now I know they won't.

BTW, does Aaron count as one of the Oceanic 6? Obviously Jack, Kate, Hurly, and Sayid do. I am assuming Ben does not count as one of the 6.

aboveAverage wrote:And by the way, even if you've never watched Lost, I suggest you do, because Evangeline Lily is SMOKING HOT.

She is extraordinarily hot. And she's got that dangerous streak to her, etc.
But for anyone that takes you up on your suggestion, do NOT just start watching Lost as it airs. Start from the first episode in season 1. Seasons 1 - 3 should keep you occupied until this season is out on DVD, at which point you can watch it and then be caught up by the time the next season starts. Get yourself some type of Blockbuster-online or Netflix membership to do that or something. If you've never had one, you can even get a 30-day trial.

xTitan wrote:As the storyline read Thursday it was originally the Oceanic 8, then became six. I think most people are assuming everyone else will die, I think they all just stayed on the Island with the exception of Jack's hot blonde half sister, she will get whcked and he blames himself.

Someone refresh my memory here. I know that we, the viewer, know that Claire is Jack's half sister. But were we made aware that Jack knows this? Does he?

If not, maybe Jack will end up pulling a Craig McDermott on her.
Then Claire finds out and is so distraught she runs off into the jungle, gets eaten by the smoke monster, and Jack blames himself, vowing one day to grow the most ridiculous beard he can in memory of his half-sister.

What?

:lol:

Hey, it isn't like the show hasn't already messed around with the whole incestuous relationship storyline. I'm just saying...
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#9 » by WEFFPIM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:28 pm

I talk so much about this show on the Media Lounge, I just can't do it again.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#10 » by bayrdbandit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:31 pm

you guys keep referring to the "flash forwards" but the show has shifted it's angle. the ff's are now the present and the island is the flashback.

loving this new season though.

it's a pity claire looks like she will die. she was the andrew bogut of the island.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#11 » by xTitan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Jack does not yet know Claire is his half sister, my guess is that will happen in the next couple episodes. They said all this past week another of the Oceanic 6 will be revealed and we already knew Jack, Kate, Syaid, and Hurley so I am assuming Aaron is the 5th.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,636

Post#12 » by Profound23 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm

bayrdbandit wrote:you guys keep referring to the "flash forwards" but the show has shifted it's angle. the ff's are now the present and the island is the flashback.

loving this new season though.

it's a pity claire looks like she will die. she was the andrew bogut of the island.

You mean she has a problem scoring and lack of rebounding?
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#13 » by bayrdbandit » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:35 am

Profound23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You mean she has a problem scoring and lack of rebounding?

:rofl:
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#14 » by aboveAverage » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:59 am

The reason I don't like the glimpses into the future, is because I would rather not know what happens in the future, because then it makes what is happening right now seem kind of insignificant. I would rather have them show more flashbacks, and at the end of the series show all the future stuff.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#15 » by yuedar » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 am

xTitan wrote:As the storyline read Thursday it was originally the Oceanic 8, then became six. I think most people are assuming everyone else will die, I think they all just stayed on the Island with the exception of Jack's hot blonde half sister, she will get whcked and he blames himself.

we already know most of them stayed on the island. It was said by ben while working on Sayied after he was shot. We just don't know who yet.

I want to know how Michael is going to play into this. Oh and is Aaron one of the Oceanic Six? Or is Michael and Walt the other 2?

Im also curious how the others were able to plant that plane in the ocean to make people think the plane had crashed.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#16 » by xTitan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:45 am

yuedar wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

we already know most of them stayed on the island. It was said by ben while working on Sayied after he was shot. We just don't know who yet.

I want to know how Michael is going to play into this. Oh and is Aaron one of the Oceanic Six? Or is Michael and Walt the other 2?

Im also curious how the others were able to plant that plane in the ocean to make people think the plane had crashed.

I have heard some people think Michael is Ben's guy on the ship.....
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#17 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:59 am

xTitan wrote:I have heard some people think Michael is Ben's guy on the ship.....

It's really the only one who would make sense.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#18 » by Profound23 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:59 am

Yeah I figured Michael was Ben's guy as soon as he said it, and Aaron wouldn't be one of the Oceanic 6 since his name was never on the Plane's manifest.

The "one" they revealed was Kate, even though we already knew that. So its Kate, Jack, Sayid and Hurley...........still two more.

My wife says Michael/Walt and it will be revealed in season finale.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#19 » by yuedar » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:25 pm

ya thats true they probably got picked up by the ship when they left the island ... walt is probably on there too then.

only thing is what happened to claire because we know she gets in the chopper (per desmond flash) so aaron makes it and she doesn't..? hmm.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#20 » by Profound23 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 pm

One thing I am hearing is about the talk between Miles and Ben.

Miles asks for 3.2, Ben says "not 3.3 or 3.4"?

Miles "I give you 2 days"

Ben "I am a little tied up at the moment" (or something like that)

Miles "of you have 7 days"

A lot of people are guessing that Miles is Ben's spy and he is giving him the info Ben needs in code, the numbers maybe mean something.

Personally, I think Ben has exactly 3.2 mil in money or assets (stocks, bonds....etc) on the island and Miles being able to talk to dead people was able to find that out, the same way he was able to find out about the money when he got rid of the spirit in his initial episode.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks