ImageImage

The Kohl's grocery bag revolt (Saturday, March 15th-Celtics)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#41 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Nebula1 wrote:I just don't see paperbags as a classy way to handle your complaints, but best of luck to you.
I would agree, but what are the classy ways, and what impact do they have? Writing a letter to Kohl? Would it make it to him and would he read it and consider what it says? Vote with your dollar by canceling your season tickets and/or league pass? If I canceled my league pass, how would anyone in Milwaukee know about it? They don't know that I buy it to watch the Bucks in the first place.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#42 » by fam3381 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:41 pm

A somewhat amusing, completely tangential story:

Kohl's Bans Reusable Bags

http://forums.treehugger.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

In case you're wondering, I don't frequent treehugger.com, but I was hoping to find a picture of a Kohl's grocery bag on google and this was one of the first links. No, really :)
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#43 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would agree, but what are the classy ways, and what impact do they have? Writing a letter to Kohl? Would it make it to him and would he read it and consider what it says? Vote with your dollar by canceling your season tickets and/or league pass? If I canceled my league pass, how would anyone in Milwaukee know about it? They don't know that I buy it to watch the Bucks in the first place.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I think we're a talented Nicolas Batum and a Rick Carlisle away from turning the corner. But that's me.

The best way to show your complaint is to stop attending the games and cancel season tickets. That's the appropriate way to handle frustration with a professional franchise.

But I understand that some diehards around here feel the need to make a statement beyond that and I'm fine with that. I hope it's effective.

I'll be at the game so I'll get to see whatever noise is made. It's just hard to explain that I'm really excited to see Kevin and the Celtics, knowing that Milwaukee could potentially embarass itself on multiple levels. Even if we have an awful owner, etc., the fans have ALWAYS been supportive and classy. I will remain that way despite recent frustrations.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#44 » by Nowak008 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:01 pm

fam3381 wrote:A somewhat amusing, completely tangential story:

Kohl's Bans Reusable Bags

http://forums.treehugger.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

In case you're wondering, I don't frequent treehugger.com, but I was hoping to find a picture of a Kohl's grocery bag on google and this was one of the first links. No, really :)

Thats people in Boston for ya, bunch of tree hugging hippies.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#45 » by Andrew34r » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Nebula1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I think we're a talented Nicolas Batum and a Rick Carlisle away from turning the corner. But that's me.

The best way to show your complaint is to stop attending the games and cancel season tickets. That's the appropriate way to handle frustration with a professional franchise.But I understand that some diehards around here feel the need to make a statement beyond that and I'm fine with that. I hope it's effective.

I'll be at the game so I'll get to see whatever noise is made. It's just hard to explain that I'm really excited to see Kevin and the Celtics, knowing that Milwaukee could potentially embarass itself on multiple levels. Even if we have an awful owner, etc., the fans have ALWAYS been supportive and classy. I will remain that way despite recent frustrations.

I respect your opinion Neb and I think your going about it the right way. But I have to strongly disagree with the bolded part...All of us are true fans and by not going to games than we risk having the team be moved because they are not making enough money. We still want to go to games we are still fans of the team and for sure nobody wants the team to move... we just want changes made. I think this is the best way to do it and in this case nobody can say your not a true fan because we are at the game and have been at many of the games this season.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#46 » by LUKE23 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 pm

We're Nicolas Batum away from turning the corner? A guy that 99% of us haven't seen play and has been labeled as a major project in many areas?

Haha.....
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#47 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:11 pm

That's why I respect what you guys are doing and I do hope it's effective. I just don't want it to look embarassing so Sportscenter or whatever can make fun of the players, fans and city. I don't want to compound the problem.

Plus I'm taking a date to this game and I'm seeing Kevin for the first time, so I want things to go well on a personal level. No offense, but I hope the Bucks play a great game and your revolution is delayed. I'm trying to have a good time.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#48 » by LUKE23 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Nebula1 wrote:That's why I respect what you guys are doing and I do hope it's effective. I just don't want it to look embarassing so Sportscenter or whatever can make fun of the players, fans and city. I don't want to compound the problem.

Plus I'm taking a date to this game and I'm seeing Kevin for the first time, so I want things to go well on a personal level. No offense, but I hope the Bucks play a great game and your revolution is delayed. I'm trying to have a good time.

Well, I doubt they cancel the game, so I doubt it's going to ruin your day.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#49 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 pm

LUKE23 wrote:We're Nicolas Batum away from turning the corner? A guy that 99% of us haven't seen play and has been labeled as a major project in many areas?

Haha.....

If you'd think, you'd really realize what I'm saying. Yes, Batum would be a great addition BECAUSE he's a minor project with tons of talent. Then the team would be around .500 next season, with yet another solid draft pick to add the following season.

I believe Milwaukee must build through the draft. We're never going to attract a big name FA, thus the poor records seasons are good for this franchise over the long run.

We need Rick Carlisle though as a real teacher. LK, while I like the guy, is not ready to handle a project like this.

But I'm sure by putting some bags on your head, everything will magically change for the better. Good luck with that.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#50 » by bigkurty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 pm

We should send some paper bags to the Cousins Center care of Charlie Bell. That would be funny. You can't tell me these guys aren't somewhat embarrassed to be a part of this team. Also, you know what would be killer, is somehow getting the suites involved. There is no way in hell they kick those people out. Who here has connections to Suite Owners? Get the word out please. Is that what you meant by box seats BTW, DannoMac?

Oh and some more breaking news, Kenny Mayne has pulled out of the event. My sources tell me Kohl had the cronies remind Mayne that if he doesn't behave, Kohl would blackmail Mayne into "dropping the soap" or be subject to an IRS audit.

Damn Kohl and his cronies. :vent:
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#51 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:29 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, I doubt they cancel the game, so I doubt it's going to ruin your day.

I'm just hoping you guys don't go on the floor or cause a big scene. That's all I'm saying.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#52 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Nebula1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm just hoping you guys don't go on the floor or cause a big scene. That's all I'm saying.

I doubt that would happen. Then you are going to get a disorderly conduct ticket and the Bucks certainly are not worth paying a fine.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#53 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:36 pm

I appreciate that.

Good luck with your revolt.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#54 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:41 pm

[quote="Nebula1"][/quote]

I agree with you on this Nebula

I understand the premise and this is a lot of frustration boiling over for fans.

I think something should be done and this appears to be the most popular idea.

I just hope it doesn't cross the line.

But I think some fans are deluding themselves a bit too much as far as this team "turning around" after they see 75 fans with bags over their heads.

Hopefully this will just be one example that can be brought into board meetings as far as fans not being happy with this team.

I am glad I will be able to witness this though, but again, I hope it doesn't cross the line or go too far. I think there are a few people who have bought into the whole "they can't do anything about us" train of thought.

Because they can, and they certainly will if your actions warrant it.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#55 » by Siefer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

I hope this gets some national media exposure. God knows, outside of WSSP, none of the local media outlets will pay it any mind.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 pm

No one here believes that Kohl will see this and all of a sudden see the light, get rid of his cronies and hire basketball people to run the team.

But it's a way to show the frustration of the fans. The main way fans are showing their frustration is by not showing up for games. This is something new and as far as I can recall never done in Milwaukee.

Embarrass the players or Kohl? So what. They aren't too embarrassed to cash their checks. Kohl isn't too embarrassed to take your money when you buy a ticket and concessions.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#57 » by Nowak008 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Siefer wrote:I hope this gets some national media exposure. God knows, outside of WSSP, none of the local media outlets will pay it any mind.

According to my sources there is being an effort to do so. Hopefully it will be successful.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#58 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Yes, Batum would be a great addition BECAUSE he's a minor project with tons of talent. Then the team would be around .500 next season, with yet another solid draft pick to add the following season.
I've never seen Batum play, so I don't pretend to know what he's capable of, but I'm surprised to hear that there's a draft pick out there - not being talked about as one of the top two prospects - who can take the Bucks from a 30 win team to a 41 win team in his rookie season.

I see on the draft websites that he is a 19 year old 6'8" sg from France. If he were that young, that tall, and that ready to make a huge impact in the NBA, wouldn't he be the consensus #1 pick?
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#59 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 pm

He reminds me of Prince. Beasley is obviously the #1 pick and I would love Rose, but those guys are out of reach.

I'm also including the maturation of Bogut, Yi, Villanueva, Sessions and Redd. I would also include Rick Carlisle into that formula.

Batum is that cog guy we need at SF. But that's my opinion.

I don't want to take away from the goal of this thread. I've put in my 2 cents.
schweig
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#60 » by schweig » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:27 pm

I've thought about writing something on my bag about how it's not just the players... it's not just the coach or GM... it's the leadership and vision. Or, it sucks to bite the hand that feeds us, thanks for keeping the Bucks here Herb, but we all need better. But I'm not sure yet if it's a bad idea to do anything like that.

My biggest concern through all of this by far has been getting our point across clearly and avoiding confusions like those that would take away from the impact. My man GAD has assured us that's all covered and I'm looking forward to seeing the plan when he sends it out.

If you think we're going to walk on the court that's funny. I don't know if I'm even going to have a drink before the game, it sounds like we might but could see an argument for waiting til after too. I see where you're coming from, fans support their teams in the tough times too, but I think we're doing that.

And I do feel bad for the players in a way, stuck in an awful situation for the NBA. But these aren't every night lunch pail guys either. They're not the focus but if a little gets on them too it's not totally undeserved.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks