ImageImage

What If Woelful's Right?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#41 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:39 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I could see QRich/Jerome James/#6 for Redd. Both QRich and James have two years remaining. I would do that.
Yuck
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#42 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:41 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yuck

It's the same amount of salary as Redd the next two years and we get a better player in Gordon most likely. That third year we have no salary instead of Redd's huge player option.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#43 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:41 pm

rilamann wrote:I'd say throw in Mo in a Knicks deal but the Knicks wouldnt want him,they already have Marbury so why would they want the poor man's version.

:lol:

Its been a few weeks since I took a jab at Mo and I figured I was due if for nothing but a good laugh and to ruffle a few feathers.
Actually I think Mo would be a good fit in a D'Antoni system (I think CV, and Gadz would be good fits also).
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#44 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:42 pm

I still wonder about Mayo's ability to be a full time PG, BUT if this was the outcome then of our draft I would be okay with that.

In this scenerio would you look to add another SG or move Bobby over?

I actually like Mayo as a playmaking 2 type.......I still like Sessions, you'd have 2 good ball handlers and big guards .....
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Post#45 » by rilamann » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:42 pm

If the Bucks got Jerome James i'd tell him to get a garbage bag and pack up all his stuff and leave.

Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#46 » by El Sid » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:43 pm

I am a little confused as to why we want all of the "expiring contracts". It's not like the Bucks are going to pursue a major free agent.

No one wants to come to Milwaukee, that is why we had to overpay Redd to begin with.

The other thing is even if we get extra draft picks, that means we won't be any type of contender for the next 3 to 4 years and only then if we guess right and make good choices with our draft.

We have good players in Redd, Bogut, and Mo, so why give them up for draft choices that may not pan out.

Redd and Mo aren't ever gonna pan out so why not try a different route? We already know that back court isn't ever going to work so what good would it do to keep both of them around? They won 26 games with Redd and Mo, are we really taking a big chance with some youth?

Not every star in the NBA hates Milwaukee. I really wouldn't want a player whose all about glitz and glamor anyway. If the Bucks youth movement is successful then trade opportunities for good players spring up everywhere and the expirings give us the flexibility to do anything. It's simple.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#47 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:44 pm

I agree that all this talk of adding expiring contracts or even extra draft picks (in a weak draft) isn't very encouraging in my opinion. We have a number of young players already, and I still feel we need some veterans in here that know how to win on this level. I also know that we need to make some serious changes with this team in order to win consistently. I firmly believe we have to move either Mo or Redd or both, along with CV and probably a few other guys just to get us rejuveniated at this point.

I would prefer to move Mo and CV over anyone else but I know that many teams might be more interested in one over the other (not both), and teams hoping to contend will be more interested in Redd over either of them. I want the best deal we can get for whoever we move.. and I just don't see a scenerio where all of the guys you named will be back with this team next season.

There is nothing wrong with this team amassing as much young talent as possible. In fact, that is probably the smart thing to do. Keep Sessions/Yi/Bogut, make smart personnel additions by trading Mo/CV, and definitely get a top 6 pick for Redd if that is an option. Redd is not a big time asset to us given his salary, and there are players in this draft that can give us just as good of an OVERALL contribution as Redd, even if they aren't putting up his PPG numbers right away (personally I think Gordon could score 20 as a rookie with better D than Mike).

The worst thing this team can do is sacrifice talent in deals for stop gap role player additions that will push us to maybe .500 next year, but have no ceiling for improvement. We're not a contender right now no matter what, it makes a TON more sense to continue building the talent base so you are ready to contend in a few years, but be ready to contend longer.

Crap like trading the pick for David Lee/Haslem/Battier is the absolute last thing this team needs to do.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#48 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:44 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's the same amount of salary as Redd the next two years and we get a better player in Gordon most likely. That third year we have no salary instead of Redd's huge player option.
I would only be interested in doing it if the pick was Eric Gordon (I'm just not sold on him)... perhaps if Mayo, Alexander, or Love were the picks I might be more interested. Oh and I don't want Q-Rich and his broken back or Jerome James and his uselessness anywhere near this team.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#49 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:46 pm

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I actually like Mayo as a playmaking 2 type.......I still like Sessions, you'd have 2 good ball handlers and big guards .....
So you think they would make Sessions a starter this upcoming season? I'm not sure.

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#50 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:47 pm

I would only be interested in doing it if the pick wasn't Eric Gordon... perhaps if Mayo, Alexander, or Love were the picks I might be more interested. Oh and I don't want Q-Rich and his broken back or Jerome James and his uselessness anywhere near this team.

You have yet to say why you are so against Gordon. And obviously if the Knicks are going to take on Redd's salary and give us a top 6 pick, they aren't going to give us a lot of other help. I'll take those contracts for two years over Redd for three, along with Gordon.

But back to Gordon, he can score, he can get to the line, and he has all the tools to be a good defender. What exactly is there not to like about him? He's basically a more explosive Redd with significantly higher athletic ability.

Redd brings nothing to the table but scoring and costs us $17M a year. I don't see him as much of an asset as others do.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#51 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:50 pm

LUKE23 wrote:You have yet to say why you are so against Gordon.

Maybe CBQ is an Illini fan. :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Post#52 » by rilamann » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:51 pm

Actually I think Mo would be a good fit in a D'Antoni system (I think CV, and Gadz would be good fits also).

You where supposed to laugh not use logic,what the hell booooo.

In all seriousness I agree,in the right role and if Mo would accept the role he could be useful.Obviously the comparison we are both thinking in Dantoni's system is Barbosa.

Mo can score and he would be one hell of a 6th man,i've always said that but I just think hes a bad fit for the Bucks and he has an attitude/ego problem.

Untill his attitude changes and he accepts his limitations on the court hes always gonna think he is better than he realy is and have that ''we lost but I got mine'' mentality.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#53 » by smauss » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:02 pm

Most of you all know more about trades and such than I do, but don't you think there is a package that we could send with Mo to Seattle for the #4? I know they need a PG and I have also noticed that just about all the drafts have them zeroing in on Bayless. Couldn't we put something together with Mo to get that pick?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#54 » by wichmae » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:02 pm

it isnt really anything to talk about at this point. I dont expect any big moves before the draft...
htr
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#55 » by htr » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:03 pm

Rilaman - Are you talking about Mo Williams or Billy Hall? Maybe Mo is always at brewer games because he and Billy are best friends?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#56 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:07 pm

smauss wrote:Most of you all know more about trades and such than I do, but don't you think there is a package that we could send with Mo to Seattle for the #4? I know they need a PG and I have also noticed that just about all the drafts have them zeroing in on Bayless. Couldn't we put something together with Mo to get that pick?

I think they probably view either Bayless or Mayo, whoever falls to them there, as a higher upside player than Mo that also costs less than half on a per year basis. Seattle really isn't in win now mode, they are in amass talent mode. 6 first round picks in the next three years, they are probably banking on a complete young rebuild, starting with a Bayless/Durant/Green or Mayo/Durant/Green core.

God, now that I think of it, if Mayo falls to them that is kind of scary (Mayo + Durant).
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#57 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:17 pm

So you think they would make Sessions a starter this upcoming season? I'm not sure.

I am not sure either...although next year is not a playoff year anyway. I am guessing Hammond will add some vet help as well....but if they believe in Sessions, then why not get the starting backcourt of the future starting now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Post#58 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:18 pm

Seattle, IMO, is a wild card. You could argue that they have the potential star needed to win in the NBA; now they need the right role players around him.

It's easy to say that they're going to acquire high lotto talent at the expense of winning over the next few years, but there's some logic in the notion that they don't necessarily need more youth. They need proven NBA talent to surround Durant.

Think of the Jeff Green pick last season. He wasn't a guy you take because he's the most talented player available. They took him because they thought he complimented Durant.

Now, I don't think Redd makes a shred of sense for that team given his salary. However, if the Sonics wanted to quickly put together a winner, I could see them using their available resources to make a splash.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#59 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:22 pm

Here's what Chad Ford had to say about teams in the lottery dealing their picks:

Draft Notes: Which teams might deal their pick?

By Chad Ford

This may be one of the deeper drafts in recent memory, but that hasn't stopped teams with high draft picks from already engaging in trade discussions that would involve those picks.

There were numerous rumblings in Orlando, Fla., during the pre-draft camp about teams potentially swapping picks or moving out of the draft altogether.

Some of the trade talk has to do with need. We have a few teams that are eyeing the playoffs and would prefer a veteran over a rookie. For others, there's a sense of parity in this draft -- after perhaps the top three players -- that has led them to believe they can get a good player later in the draft and potentially pick up an asset.

Which teams are the most likely to move a pick by draft night?

Miami Heat: We are continuing to hear that if the Bulls draft Derrick Rose with the No. 1 pick (which is looking more and more likely) they'll try to move the No. 2 pick for either a draft prospect like O.J. Mayo or a veteran point guard like T.J. Ford or Kirk Hinrich.

Of course, the Heat will want more than just a straight swap for giving up such a coveted pick. With so many teams in pursuit of a scoring forward like Michael Beasley, the Heat could really net a starter and a high pick or solid prospect. They could change their mind after Beasley comes in for workouts, but right now it's looking less likely that they'll draft at No. 2.

Portland Trail Blazers: From what I can gather, using the No. 13 pick is a last resort for the Blazers. They have plenty of young players and actually will look to package their first-round pick and a few of their young players to get a veteran point guard or small forward. They too could be in the hunt for Ford or Hinrich.

They have a lot of other assets they could include in a trade, including Jarrett Jack, Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye and Sergio Rodriguez.

The downside for Portland? If they keep all of their young players for another year, they could have significant cap room next summer. It will have to be a good deal for the Blazers to pull the trigger.

New Jersey Nets: This is a team at a serious crossroads. Do they try to make a big deal that puts them back into contention in the East? Or do they start cutting payroll with an eye toward free agency in 2010? The popular notion is that the Nets will try to find a way to get far enough under the cap to make a run at LeBron James in 2010.

However, a Nets source told me in Orlando that if they were able to make a big deal now, they'd do it and risk losing LeBron in 2010. The Nets have assets: two first-round picks, Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic's restricted free-agent rights and a few interesting young players.

If it could net them a young player like Carmelo Anthony, they'd probably pull the trigger. From what I understand, there's no one at No. 10 or No. 21 that they feel will turn this team around.

Seattle SuperSonics: Two different team executives told me in Orlando that Sonics GM Sam Presti had called about trading the No. 4 pick. One trade would have him moving down a few spots in the lottery. The other would have the Sonics moving significantly down. I'm not sure what to read into it. A Sonics source made it sound like the team was high on Jerryd Bayless, and I doubt he's on the board past No. 6. We'll see what happens.

Memphis Grizzlies: The team is rebuilding and is at a good spot at No. 5. But they also have assets that could net them another lottery pick. If they were to offer Mike Miller and Kyle Lowry for the No. 2 pick, would the Heat bite? Maybe, if the Grizzlies were willing to take back Mark Blount or a combo of Marcus Banks and Udonis Haslem in return to make the numbers work.

New York Knicks: The Knicks are in a tough spot. They'd love to get up a few spots in the draft and get a player like Mayo or Bayless. Where they stand right now, neither player should be there. Their options at No. 6 are solid, but none of the players on the board will be able to turn this team around. Would they be willing to sacrifice a good young player or two (read David Lee or Nate Robinson) for the chance to draft a star? Or would they be willing to move down in the draft to pick up multiple assets? I don't think Donnie Walsh likes where he's at. It will be interesting to see which way they'll go.

Los Angeles Clippers: L.A. is another team at the crossroads entering the draft. If Elton Brand and Corey Maggette stay on, and stay healthy, the team should be competing for the playoffs again as long as they can find a point guard via free agency or the draft.

I could see them moving their pick for the chance to get a strong point guard like Ford or Hinrich. If Maggette opts out (likely) and Brand does too (less likely, but possible) they're in full rebuilding mode around Al Thornton and Chris Kaman and will likely keep the pick.

Milwaukee Bucks: New GM John Hammond is determined to make the Bucks a winner now. He has a roster full of young, unproven players and one valuable veteran: Michael Redd.

I think it's more likely that the Bucks package No. 8 along with several other players on their roster to get another veteran to play alongside Andrew Bogut. I think Redd, Mo Williams and Charlie Villanueva are all available and Hammond is looking for players, not cap space. They could be an interesting mover and shaker in the draft.

Golden State Warriors: Golden State is yet another team with a tough decision to make. They have a lot of players they have to re-up in free agency. Will their owner spend the money to bring Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Mickael Pietrus back in the fold? I'm also hearing that a combo of Brandan Wright and the No. 14 are available if they can get a veteran big man back in return or move up in the draft.

Phoenix Suns: Considering that they have a history of dumping their draft picks, you have to look at Phoenix's pick at No. 15 as being in play. There are some good options for them there, but if Steve Kerr is continuing down the path of a championship run, the chances of a 15th pick getting much action are pretty slim.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Post#60 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:27 pm

Hammond needs to get on the horn with Riles. Do what it takes to secure that #2 pick.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks