ImageImage

06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation 

Post#1 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Thought I would post links and some info which mentions the Bucks and players of interest. Here is the latest from both sites:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... alk-080618

Some snippets from Chad Ford regarding the Bucks:

The Bucks have been trying to move up in the draft to add some star power to their team.

In particular, we've heard Mayo's name associated with the Bucks. The Bucks have been trying to get into that seven-team Mayo workout in Chicago on Saturday to get a closer look.

Bucks GM John Hammond has gotten a lot of calls, with other teams especially interested in Yi Jianlian and Charlie Villanueva. Mo Williams and Michael Redd are also in play in Milwaukee right now.

Also said that Russell Westbrook has a promise coming from somewhere and that he turned down workout requests from the Bucks.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

Some snippets from DX.com regarding the Randolph:

Players that might find themselves being drafted a bit lower than they hoped include DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, and possibly even Anthony Randolph. If Sacramento selects Darrell Arthur at #12 like many NBA sources we spoke with anticipate (this was his last workout stop before cancelling numerous workouts), then Randolph could be in for quite a tumble, as he would likely continue to slip past Portland at #13, Golden State at #14, Phoenix at #15, until reaching Philadelphia at #16. That’s about 10 spots lower than some mocks have him projected right now, but isn’t out of the question depending on how things play out next week. Randolph is not helping himself reportedly with the way he’s working out, being very average so far according to numerous people who’ve watched him, looking “laid back” or even “out of shape.” Compounding the problem is that he may have recently hurt his shoulder.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Re: 06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation 

Post#2 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Thanks for posting CBQ. I also found this interesting...

Small forwards on the market include Richard Jefferson of the New Jersey Nets, Josh Howard of the Dallas Mavericks, Gerald Wallace of the Charlotte Bobcats and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons.

But there are stumbling blocks to each deal. The Mavs might not want to send Howard to a rival team. Detroit president Joe Dumars is probably not interested in Diaw. The Nets need contracts that expire by 2010. And it's unclear whether the Suns would be willing to take back Wallace's contract.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,046

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Hey! The Quick Reply is back!!

Talk about a high and then a low.

I love even the rumor that the Bucks are interested in moving up. If they get Mayo I'll be out of this world ecstatic.

Ugh, but the news about Westbrook's disheartening. He either doesn't want to come to Milwaukee or he's got a promise from some team in the top seven. Either way it sucks.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Simulack » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:49 pm

How sweet would it be if we moved up to take Mayo and moved Redd for Howard? Talk about a dream offseason. :pray:
DanoMac
General Manager

Post#5 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 pm

We have, it appears, our first known promise of the draft. Multiple sources say that UCLA's Westbrook has shut down all workouts and has a promise in the mid-lottery range.

Apparently the promise isn't coming from the Knicks. They like Westbrook at No. 6, but they're also looking at Mayo, Bayless, Alexander and Eric Gordon.

The promise isn't coming from the Bucks or Pacers; neither team was able to get him in for a workout.

That leaves the Clippers at No. 7 and the Bobcats at No. 9. As noted above, the Clippers are trying to move up to get Mayo, so I doubt it's them. That leaves the Bobcats as the most likely to have made a promise to Westbrook.

One other possibility: The Seattle SuperSonics have taken a strong interest in Westbrook, according to sources. Although No. 4 is a little higher than expected for him to go, one source said it's possible that the Sonics will trade down a few spots and take Westbrook.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:52 pm

If that promise for Westbrook making him cancel a workout with us is true, then I am officially bummed about that. If true, my focus now turns to Gordon if he slips and if not Alexander.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#7 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Excellent, Quick Reply is back!

I also found the list of available Small Forwards interesting. I don't believe Dumars is having the firesale (no matter what he says) that many believe and he will only be interested in Win-WIn deals on the part of Detroit. I also will believe that Josh Howard will be moved when I see it. Even with his issues last season, I still believe Dallas is invested in him.

No thoughts on Anthony Randolph's potential to tumble much further than expected? Or the reports about his workouts?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#8 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Of all the SF's on that list, Gerald Wallace would be by far #1 on my list. A guy who can defend and rebound, and has also turned into a 18-20 ppg scorer. I just don't see us and the Bobcats as good matches trading wise regarding personnel.

But man, wanted Westbrook.
DanoMac
General Manager

Post#9 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm

LUKE23 wrote:If that promise for Westbrook making him cancel a workout with us is true, then I am officially bummed about that. If true, my focus now turns to Gordon if he slips and if not Alexander.

Agreed. I'll be anticipating for a trade to move up for Mayo though. That would be awesome.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#10 » by smauss » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm

DrugBust wrote:Hey! The Quick Reply is back!!

Talk about a high and then a low.

I love even the rumor that the Bucks are interested in moving up. If they get Mayo I'll be out of this world ecstatic.

Ugh, but the news about Westbrook's disheartening. He either doesn't want to come to Milwaukee or he's got a promise from some team in the top seven. Either way it sucks.

:nod:

Totally agree DB. This Westbrook thing is quite disheartening but Mayo would be real sweet!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#11 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I would take Mayo in a heartbeat and then move Redd for the best possible SF deal we can get.

I think it would probably take Yi/8 to get Mayo though, not CV/8. I'm far more reluctant to do that first one, but I always said if we could get Mayo without giving up Bogut I'd probably do it. Be hard to swallow for me though.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#12 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm

The fact that Minny is only interested in acquring young players as somewhat interesting too.. I know they like Bogut, Yi and CV... I'm just hoping they would be willing to consider CV + instead of requiring Bogut or Yi for us to get that pick.

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#13 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:04 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:The fact that Minny is only interested in acquring young players as somewhat interesting too.. I know they like Bogut, Yi and CV... I'm just hoping they would be willing to consider CV + instead of requiring Bogut or Yi for us to get that pick.

No way we would move Bogut. It would likely be Yi/8 or CV/8 for 3. If we could get Mayo without giving up both Bogut or Yi, I would probably do backflips.

I think it would take Yi/8 though. What are people's thoughts on that deal?
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#14 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm not interested in giving up Yi... but would consider expanding the trade a little more if that would help it go down.

Also, I'm hearing that a number of teams want to try Mayo out as a full time 1 instead of playing him at the 2. Not sure that type of experiment would work but that's what I was told.

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Mayo is a Roy type guy. Not a full time PG in the traditional sense of the word, but also more than capable of playing it. With Mayo you can either play him at PG with a SG that can create some, or you can play him at SG with a PG that doesn't have to be a good creator. He's actually a very good fit with Mo (at least offensively), while Redd is not a good fit with Mo because Redd cannot create for others at all.

I'm not interested in giving Yi up either, but you have to give something to get something. You need to ask yourself, "who will be the better player, Mayo or Yi?". I think Mayo will (I think he's as good as Roy if not better), so I do this deal, reluctantly parting with Yi.

Then move Redd and try and land one of those SF's (Jefferson, Howard, Wallace).
DanoMac
General Manager

Post#16 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

I see Mayo as more of a 2. I think that he will be a 2 in the NBA, no matter what teams are trying to do with him.

God, these new boards really blow. I open this thread and everythings messed up, I can only read like half of a person's post.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#17 » by europa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Interesting stuff. Thanks sis.

Ford reported last year that the Bucks were trying to move up in the draft to get Horford and several of us (including GAD and I believe xTitan too) were able to subsequently confirm that was correct. So I think we can view the reports about a possible deal with the T'Wolves as being very credible. If the Bucks can deal Villanueva/8 for Mayo, they have to do it. I still can't figure out what would possess Minnesota to make that trade but maybe McHale is swimming in a state of euphoria after handing the Celtics the title this season. :D

The issue with that deal would be - if the T'Wolves insisted on Yi would you still make the deal? I'm not as sure Mayo is going to be a superstar as some but if Hammond believes he can be, then he has to pull the trigger in my opinion. Keep Villanueva, deal Mo for Haslem to bolster the position and you should be in good shape at the PF position. So if the T'Wolves insisted upon Yi and 8 and not Villanueva, I'd probably go ahead and still make the trade.

If the Bucks do trade for Mayo, I think Hammond has to start looking seriously into a Redd trade but I think it would be a mistake to make a bad deal just because they now have Mayo. The Bucks could always have Mayo be a sixth man for a year or half a year. That's hardly a bad thing given his scoring potential.

As far as Westbrook, if he doesn't want to work out for the Bucks I say F him. That removes him from my draft list as far as I'm concerned. He lacks Yi's potential so I see no reason to dick around with another guy who doesn't want to play for the Bucks.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 pm

DannoMac20 wrote:I see Mayo as more of a 2. I think that he will be a 2 in the NBA, no matter what teams are trying to do with him.

God, these new boards really blow. I open this thread and everythings messed up, I can only read like half of a person's post.

I think it depends on the team. For the Bucks, if they kept Mo or rolled with Sessions, Mayo would be a 2. On a team that is lacking playmakers, you can throw him at the 1.

I think Mayo would be a good fit offensively with Mo, a great fit actually, and fit fine with Sessions as well.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#19 » by europa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 pm

I agree that Mayo is more of a SG than a PG. I would equate his PG potential in the NBA to be similar to what we've seen from Ray Allen. He can "technically" play the position but he isn't a guy you want at the position for too long. He's a scorer. That's what he does best so I think he needs to play the position that best accentuates his strength and that, in my opinion, is SG.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#20 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:18 pm

europa wrote:Interesting stuff. Thanks sis.

Ford reported last year that the Bucks were trying to move up in the draft to get Horford and several of us (including GAD and I believe xTitan too) were able to subsequently confirm that was correct. So I think we can view the reports about a possible deal with the T'Wolves as being very credible. If the Bucks can deal Villanueva/8 for Mayo, they have to do it. I still can't figure out what would possess Minnesota to make that trade but maybe McHale is swimming in a state of euphoria after handing the Celtics the title this season. :D

The issue with that deal would be - if the T'Wolves insisted on Yi would you still make the deal? I'm not as sure Mayo is going to be a superstar as some but if Hammond believes he can be, then he has to pull the trigger in my opinion. Keep Villanueva, deal Mo for Haslem to bolster the position and you should be in good shape at the PF position. So if the T'Wolves insisted upon Yi and 8 and not Villanueva, I'd probably go ahead and still make the trade.

If the Bucks do trade for Mayo, I think Hammond has to start looking seriously into a Redd trade but I think it would be a mistake to make a bad deal just because they now have Mayo. The Bucks could always have Mayo be a sixth man for a year or half a year. That's hardly a bad thing given his scoring potential.

As far as Westbrook, if he doesn't want to work out for the Bucks I say F him. That removes him from my draft list as far as I'm concerned. He lacks Yi's potential so I see no reason to dick around with another guy who doesn't want to play for the Bucks.

Agree with almost all of this, outside of the last paragraph. I don't see how Westbrook not wanting to work out now that he has a promise to go earlier makes him a bad guy or anything. If he has a promise, why risk injury working out for another team?

But I agree, parting with Yi would be hard in this deal, but I still think it's a deal you have to make. While Mayo may not be on Wade type level as a player, I think he will be at Brandon Roy level if not better, which is the best player on our roster currently. Mayo/Bogut as a tandem is a great core starting point.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks