ImageImage

Final "Where You Stand" Draft Board

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Re: Final "Where You Stand" Draft Board 

Post#61 » by Debit One » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:25 am

All of that being said, I'm more concerned/interested with what the Bucks do in the trade and free agent market over the summer than I am in their draft pick. Those moves will be a bigger determinant than the draft pick in what this team will look like going forward.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,374

Post#62 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:24 pm

Here it is
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#63 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:26 pm

I don't see a big clamoring for Lopez.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,236

Post#64 » by Sigra » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:33 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't see a big clamoring for Lopez.

And it was not bumped before. :roll:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#65 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:36 pm

There have been a couple of Lopez threads bumped from time to time. But those were started after Lopez showed what he can do. The threads bumped today were all from around the draft time. Hammond is getting hammered for picking Alexander (rightly so) and I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our board experts thought at the same time. I just don't see a lot of love for Lopez. There are a few people that thought he was ok but no one that said we needed to take him or that it was a big mistake not taking him. Those threads popped up after the season started.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,481

Post#66 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:37 pm

I'd say quite the contrary. Wow! And most of the guys were cool with Joe A.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#67 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:38 pm

Can't change the past.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#68 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:39 pm

Everybody in this thread put in guys they'd like and not like. No one knew who the heck was going to be available at the #8 pick hence multiple choices. The guys I had in my "really want" list all were picked higher (Mayo, Love) and would have been great picks if we could have gotten them. I also said I would have liked to have traded Gadz and #8 for Haslem and David Lee. What's wrong with that? That move would look genius right now if it were even possible.

One point from all these pre-draft threads is that there was a large group of people who didn't want to even consider him if he slipped because they thought he sucked or they figured we didn't need him because we had Bogut.

And the bigger issue here is that Hammond never considered the guy. A chimp tossing darts at the top 16 guys picked would have ended up with a better pick than Hammond unless of course the chimp's dart landed on "Joe Alexander"
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#69 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:40 pm

I agree you can't change the past. For all of the love of Lopez now I was just curious if the love was there in June.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#70 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I agree you can't change the past. For all of the love of Lopez now I was just curious if the love was there in June.

Apparently, no. Not even close.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#71 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:42 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:And the bigger issue here is that Hammond never considered the guy. A chimp tossing darts at the top 16 guys picked would have ended up with a better pick than Hammond unless of course the chimp's dart landed on "Joe Alexander"

Very true.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#72 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:43 pm

Sigra wrote:

And it was not bumped before. :roll:

I was mistaken - it was not literally bumped, but it was discussed at length in a recent thread with a dozen quotes from this thread and a link, etc. I know I specifically quoted every mention of Lopez from this thread to counter somebody's claim that nobody wanted Lopez pre-draft.

But at any rate, here is the thread, and we also have that other Bogut v Lopez thread to prove that some posters were in favor of drafting the guy.

And at the same time, we see that nobody had a firey passion for drafting Lopez over all the other players who were projected to go 5-10 in the draft. Like I said in the other thread, we have a million losers in the draft prediction war and no pure winners.

Hopefully in future years we can remember in June that most of the players in any given draft will suck. If you want to look good when the thread is bumped back a year later, just say that every player will be bad, and you'll be right on 80% of your predictions.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#73 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm just now looking at the other threads that got bumped. I would have to admit, it does appear that there were some members of this board who were 100% "all-in" on one particular guy they thought we must draft. His name.....Joe Alexander.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#74 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm just now looking at the other threads that got bumped. I would have to admit, it does appear that there were some members of this board who were 100% "all-in" on one particular guy they thought we must draft. His name.....Joe Alexander.

Him or Jared Bayless, that's for sure. Not one guy, even you PP, was sold on Lopez. You said you would have been fine with him, but you didn't love the guy.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#75 » by Sigra » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Everybody in this thread put in guys they'd like and not like. No one knew who the heck was going to be available at the #8 pick hence multiple choices. The guys I had in my "really want" list all were picked higher (Mayo, Love) and would have been great picks if we could have gotten them. I also said I would have liked to have traded Gadz and #8 for Haslem and David Lee. What's wrong with that? That move would look genius right now if it were even possible.

One point from all these pre-draft threads is that there was a large group of people who didn't want to even consider him if he slipped because they thought he sucked or they figured we didn't need him because we had Bogut.

And the bigger issue here is that Hammond never considered the guy. A chimp tossing darts at the top 16 guys picked would have ended up with a better pick than Hammond unless of course the chimp's dart landed on "Joe Alexander"

In your first post here you didn't even mention Bayless because you thought that he will not be aviable. There is no doubt at all that you would take Bayless if you were Hammond. So please stop with all this Lopez staf. You would draft Bayless if you were there.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#76 » by Sigra » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:53 pm

There is not ONE person in this threaed who would draft Lopez if he was GM that night. Now I will read other threads
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#77 » by randy84 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:55 pm

Great find. This shows that most of the guys were on board with JA before the draft and the trade.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#78 » by Fight the Tank » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:59 pm

The majority of us all got suckered in by Joe....Here is to hoping he somehow figures it out.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#79 » by smauss » Wed Mar 4, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm ok with what I said. Still would have preferred the moves but at 8 I liked Westbrook & Joe. I wanted nothing to do with Lopez.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#80 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:05 pm

Sigra wrote:There is not ONE person in this threaed who would draft Lopez if he was GM that night. Now I will read other threads

I would have. I'm not trying to make myself out to be a sage or anything of the sort. I had Lopez and Alexander ranked equally, and that's exactly what I posted in this thread. The tie had to be broken one way or another. When the RJ trade went down, positional redunancy provided the tie breaker that I would have needed to choose one over the other. I said so at the time (more specifically I said Lopez or Speights), and I guess if it's really neccesary I can get my friends who were with my on draft night to write up signed statements that I can noterize and scan in.

Anybody who reads my posts knows that I value the 1/4/5 spots way more than the 2/3. A backup 5 is worth a lot more to me than a backup 3. When Alexander went from a starting 3 to a backup 3 because of the RJ trade (ignoring that he never could have started which I didn't know at the time), that made Lopez more valuable. Not because I knew how good Lopez would be (I didn't) or because I knew how bad Alexander would be (also didn't), but because backup centers are a very valuable commodity and that's what I thought Lopez was.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks