ImageImage

Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Re: Gilbert Arenas talks smack about Milwaukee 

Post#81 » by aboveAverage » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:25 am

I like Milwaukee. That's all the matters to me.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#82 » by BrewCityBBQ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:26 am

trwi7 wrote:
Jbizzness wrote:I've been to L.A.,San Diego,Long Beach,Seattle,Jackson Mississippi, Albuquerque New Mexico, Boston,Miami, Chicago, Denver some big and some small cities

Okay Johnny Cash. :wink:

Nice dude.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#83 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 am

Could you guys imagine if Buffalo was in the NBA?
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#84 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:49 am

Kill-waukee?
Little Beirut?
Isn't that what Milwaukee's called?

Highest incarceration rate for black Americans in the US.

Black Commentator out of PA I think named Milwaukee the worst place in America for blacks.

Gilbert's just being honest, and, yeah, he's better than anybody we have on the team now, but we just drafted a hardworking Joe. White dude who can't score in summer league.

No sense in putting lipstick on a pig that everybody knows.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#85 » by Fort Minor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 am

SupremeHustle wrote:My son is biracial. I couldn't imagine raising him in MKE mainly because of the lack of diversity.

I guess that's you then. My parents didn't have a problem doing it with me, and certainly didn't bolt to another city immediately following a higher influx of wealth. I have friends of all races, shapes, and sizes. Your imagination must run a little short.

I'm glad everyone doesn't think the same way as you, otherwise Milwaukee will never improve its segregation problem.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#86 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:55 am

The Ten Worst Places in America to be Black. Wisconsin tops the list.

http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2005/Bl ... 4jul05.htm

It's a nice place, however, for white software developers. They "love" it.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#87 » by Fort Minor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 am

jokeboy86 wrote:This is Gilbert but I can't say that he's completely wrong. I was born and raised here in Milwaukee and there are some positive things about it but I'm 21 and African American and like many other African Americans in this city they will tell you what they really feel about this city. Most would tell you they would leave this city if they could. There are various news articles out there and have been for years that will prove this, Milwaukee is not an attractive place for African Americans period. I can't see myself living in this city for much longer and might move to ATL or NY with relatives. And I could also see why some NBA players might feel uncomfortable here. Yes, they would be rich but unlike bigger cities and other places, they would be surrounded entirely by white people. It can make somebody feel out of place quickly. It sounds silly to some people, but if you study African American history you'll see why it does bother some of us(not all)

Have you ever been to ATL?
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#88 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:05 am

Atlanta's the promised land in the deep south, Fort Minor -- it 's the capital of the deep south. Been that way for 25 years. There's a black middle class there, there is opportunity there; there is an economy there. Lately, Atlanta folks have been beefing about the real estate market, but at least Atlanta is tied in. I've lost a lot of friends to Atlanta.

It's been going on for so long -- the black brain drain out of Milwaukee -- I can't believe it's even an issue or arguable at this point.

So what is your point? Stay in Kill-waukee and die?
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:09 am

Here it's good to point out that Dr. J refused to play here, went to the ABA, then signed a contract with Atlanta. This was ruled illegal and the Bucks got draft pick reparations off of it. In addition to the Kareem trade, that's how we built the Green and Growing Bucks in the late 1970's.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#90 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:22 am

Huskies1947 wrote:Could you guys imagine if Buffalo was in the NBA?

Milwaukee is Buffulo.

And Buffulo used to be in the NBA. Remember Ernie D, Bob McAdoo??? :lol:
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#91 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:33 am

Well, if this thread proves anything, it's that Milwaukee is clearly racist.

And who the hell is power4wardjinx?
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by power4wardjinx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:45 am

WEFFPIM wrote:Well, if this thread proves anything, it's that Milwaukee is clearly racist.

And who the hell is power4wardjinx?

Milwaukee is. Highest black incarceration rate known to man,

power4wardjinx is this.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... -post.aspx
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#93 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 am

Well, without this turning into a major political discussion, I'll add a few points:

-Agreed on the segregation issue. Not only is this place segregated as hell, growing up around some of the outer-reaching burbs there is a lot of fear and lack of understanding from my friends for difference or diversity. A lot of my friends crack brutal racist jokes, etc. and think nothing of it because they are only around their kind. I could go on and on about some of the ignorance of a lot of people I know, but it will just stir up debate. One thing, though, is that if you study a bit of sociology, you will notice that people unknowingly like to be with familiar people and people that make them feel comfortable. This is not a bad thing, it is natural. You notice that guys like Dez, Redd, etc. are pretty well-mannered guys. Some might say they act a bit "whiter" than most NBA players who may just be a bit different than something someone from the suburbs might see because of how they were brought up. I don't think a guy like AI or Artest would survive here. Guys like Redd, Allen, Mason, probably someone like a Roy, Deron Williams, etc. might fight in better because of it.

-Another interesting thing growing up and being all over WI is the amount of times I hear someone make fun of or talk about how stupid a guy speaking in a street or "ghetto" type of lingo (any race). How many times do you hear that same person crack a joke or talk about how stupid a person is with a definite Wisconsin "hick" accent. To me, that is funnier and weirder than the "ghetto" talk.

-I've been to Toronto. I love that city. I know it doesn't have the same appeal for a guy like Agent Zero but I can't say a bad thing about that city. Same goes for Vancouver (one of my favorite cities I've been to). Now, that might change if I lived there over winter when I realized that it was the same as Milwaukee in those regards (although Vancouver has the nice Pacific NW climate to it as well). Sad that Vancouver couldn't keep an NBA squad probably for the very same reasons we are arguing right now. I am not sure the night life there is ideal, and the diversity is very large there, however it doesn't really match the NBA census. Another great city I've been to is Seattle...Oh, wait...

-Yes, St. Paul does close at 5. I had heard that and thought it was being exaggerated but I once went there for a concert after visiting friends in Minneapolis and when we were walking to the concert at 8 PM the entire town was dead.

-Haven't been to DC, but have been to Baltimore. Not the same city, but I've heard they are similar. Baltimore is great in some areas but I think in Baltimore (and I've heard DC) are some of the scariest areas in this country.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#94 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:03 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I hope Arenas does something selfish and the Wizards trade him for Redd to punish him. Then he will be fired up and play ridiculously well for a few seasons.

Actually I don't really want that - despite all the bumps in the road I want to see the Bucks get it together with Redd on the team, sort of as vindication for everyone involved.

Mason, Redd, Bell, and Bogut all like Milwaukee. CV and Simmons seemed perfectly fine with it except when they weren't getting playing time. Ray Allen liked it here. I'm not worried about the city's image at all. I am a little worried about the market size and arena issue, but whatever.

I couldn't care less if he likes or hates Milwaukee or not...JUST WIN GAMES OR GET OUT! You could love it here, and be a loser which is worse!
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#95 » by bigkurty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:09 am

power4wardjinx wrote:Milwaukee is Buffulo.

Whats really funny is I flew into Buffalo on Sunday and am now in Niagara Falls and the Canadian side and all the Canadians talk about how boring Buffalo is and how there is nothing to do there where as the Canadian side has tons of things to do. This is totally true actually and if you don't believe me, feel free to find out yourself. I also have many Canadian customers who I have flown into Milwaukee over the last few years to take a tour of our plant and to wine and dine them and they all seem to like Milwaukee. I will admit though that I try to fly them in during the summer since Wisconsin winters do pretty much suck but Canadian winters suck too so I wouldn't imagine that would bother them that much. There is my $0.02 anyway. My point of view is that Milwaukee has great summers and more activities during the summer than most cities which makes sense since our winters do suck. And since the NBA season is played during the winter and a lot of guys choose not to live here during the summer, I can't blame them. However I do not think for a second that where they play affects their game so who cares. If it did, they would risk their paychecks and if they let that happen, they are stupid anyway so screw them.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#96 » by Buck You » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 am

Well, he has his opinion but I just hate when people form opinions off sample sizes. How many times has he been here? 5? 6? I don't really want to look at how many times he's played here so far in his career. I think if he just spent a little time here he wouldn't think of it as a despicable place. But I'm not in the city of Milwaukee much at all since I live in Greendale, the suburbs. So maybe it's worse than I think but I know it's not as bad as he's making it out to be. Whatever, he can think what he wants I guess. I left him a reply though.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#97 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 am

power4wardjinx wrote:Milwaukee is. Highest black incarceration rate known to man,

power4wardjinx is this.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... -post.aspx

I love this train of thought that you argue, that black people don't like Mil, so they'll move away. How is that going to help with the perception of racism?

Anywho, your site looked good, unfortunately better than ballerblogger's. (and no dude, I don't think we hate you, it's just that some of your facts were erroneous)

I liked this part:

OKUR FTW !!!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,382

Post#98 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 pm

power4wardjinx wrote:Kill-waukee?
Little Beirut?
Isn't that what Milwaukee's called?

You do know that Atlanta has a higher murder rate than Milwaukee right? Higher burglary rate. Higher arson rate. Higher property crime rate. Higher sexual assault rate.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#99 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Wish I still had some of my sociology stuff to put up with crime statistics by city. The best I can find on the internet is from 2005. Since Minneapolis was brought up earlier I'll use that too.

All of this is based per 100,000 population.

Murder:

1. Atlanta 20.9
2. Milwaukee 20.6
3. Minneapolis 12.5

Forcible Rape:

1. Minneapolis 106.9
2. Atlanta 51.8
3. Milwaukee 26.9

Robbery:

1. Minneapolis 687
2. Atlanta 664
3. Milwaukee 501

Aggravated Assault:

1. Atlanta 938
2. Minneapolis 648
3. Milwaukee 479

Burglary:

1. Atlanta 1,544
2. Minneapolis 1,471
3. Milwaukee 786

Larceny/Theft:

1. Atlanta 4,410
2. Milwaukee 3,725
3. Minneapolis 3,452

Motor Vehicle Theft:

1. Atlanta 1,337
2. Milwaukee 1,140
3. Minneapolis 1,035

Total Crime Index:

1. Atlanta 8,965
2. Minneapolis 7,412
3. Milwaukee 6,678

Yeah Atlanta and Minneapolis are so much safer than Milwaukee. :roll:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,482

Post#100 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Fort Minor wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:My son is biracial. I couldn't imagine raising him in MKE mainly because of the lack of diversity.

I guess that's you then. My parents didn't have a problem doing it with me, and certainly didn't bolt to another city immediately following a higher influx of wealth.

I'm not sure what this means. You think I moved away from MKE after we had our son? I haven't lived there since '91. I got married in '02 and we had our first in '04. MKE was a mere fart in the wind at that point.

I have friends of all races, shapes, and sizes.

Good for you. Sounds like you're happy there. Where in Milwaukee do you live?

Your imagination must run a little short.

Have you been talking to my agent or manager? Or both?

I'm glad everyone doesn't think the same way as you, otherwise Milwaukee will never improve its segregation problem.

Quiet the contrary, actually. The most important things to me when looking for a house is diversity and a great school system. For me, it's about giving my kids all the opportunities and advantages I couldn't imagine (heh) getting living in a place like Milwaukee.

No, my credulous young friend, if everyone thought like me, Martin Luther King, Jr's dream would be in full affect.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks