ImageImage

Trade Idea:Redd/CV for Crawford/Lee/Rose

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would you make this deal?

Yes, we'd be getting the better player in both JC and Lee
42%
No, JC is an awful player that Skiles couldn't get along with and Lee isn't a pure PF
58%

Total votes: 36

Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: Trade Idea:Redd/CV for Crawford/Lee/Rose 

Post#101 » by Chapter29 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

I have no issue moving Redd for the right deal, but he does fit this teams needs pretty well imo. Redd used in a Reggie Miller type role would be very valuable to us right now. Redd would be a massive upgrade to Bell.

My initial reaction.

Crawford? No thanks. The guy is playing real well atm, but I have never really cared for his game. I would lean towards him just being hot rather than the chance that a lifelong poor shooter is suddenly good a good one.

Lee? I like him better than CV that's for sure, just not sold that he is the answer for us next to Bogut. He's not tough enough or a good enough defender. Also, I have been pretty pleased with CV's play this year. No thanks.

Rose is probably a key reason for this trade with his expiring deal. I feel the Bucks need players, not just cap space. If we are making a trade it should be based on talent more so than for financial savings. I hope for both.

My thought on a Redd deal is to look for a team that might be flailing or is having issues with a talented player. Perhaps Dallas and Howard fit that bill or maybe Odom who's now only a part time player. Not sure, but none the less I would rather keep Redd if the trade doesn't immediately make us better.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#102 » by Newz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

europa wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I think Anderson Varajao may be a more valuable player right now than Redd

And that's the issue in a nutshell. I think that is where you and I and most likely Hammond as well strongly disagree.

There are some people here who think somehow almost every player in the NBA is more valuable than Redd.

I remember the huge thread about if we should move Redd for Gerald Green and Theo Ratliff. That trade would have been just as awful as these suggested trades.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#103 » by europa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:17 pm

LukePliska wrote:
europa wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I think Anderson Varajao may be a more valuable player right now than Redd

And that's the issue in a nutshell. I think that is where you and I and most likely Hammond as well strongly disagree.

There are some people here who think somehow almost every player in the NBA is more valuable than Redd.

I remember the huge thread about if we should move Redd for Gerald Green and Theo Ratliff. That trade would have been just as awful as these suggested trades.

I'll say again that some here get so wrapped up in how much Redd is making they ignore the fact he's a pretty darn good player. When their points of view lose all credibility is when they start minimizing Redd's scoring ability. Say what you want about Redd, but he's one of the best scorers in the league. If people can't even acknowledge that, it's clear they aren't viewing Redd with any type of legitimacy. I'm not saying Press is doing that but I do think he's so focused on how much Redd is making and so intent on getting rid of his contract, he's willing to dump him even if it derails or hinders the team's current path of improvement. There's really nothing about Crawford and Lee, for example, that make this team better. If it saves some money, that's fine but it's been made abundantly clear by Hammond that he isn't interested in trading Redd for cap savings. If Redd is going to be traded, it's going to be for a player (or players) who will improve the team now.
Nothing will not break me.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#104 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:25 pm

europa wrote:[If Redd is going to be traded, it's going to be for a player (or players) who will improve the team now.

I think Anderson Varajao would be a neutral move on a talent basis and a positive move next summer when we'd have salary flexibility. LRMAM is fantastic. But he's not big enough to take the pounding inside against the elite big-men in the league for a full season IMHO. AV is an excellent interior defender who also can score the garbage buckets.

With the economic downturn, I think the NBA's revenues this season will be down which means a lower luxury tax threshold. If the Bucks are forced to pay $7-8mm a year to retain Ramon (which could be possible if he keeps this up) it puts them right at the luxury tax, and gives no flexibility to sign bench players etc. You could arguably not pick up CV's $4.6mm option on his contract but again I still don't see where our big-man PF comes from.

And somewhere in the mix is Ersan. If people want him back, you are talking needing at least $4mm a year to pull him over from Europe. Maybe he could fill the AV role though.

We're headed for a salary issue here....that's where I'm going with this.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#105 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Why would Cleveland do that deal?

Yeah Pressey, we are headed toward salary issues, but why would either team want to inherit ours? Redd's contract is too long for two 2010 participants.

The answer is to trade Gadz/Villanueva/2009 1st round pick for Antonie Walker's expiring deal and one of their picks. Remove the unproductive players and keep the productive ones.

You are looking at the wrong teams for a Redd deal.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#106 » by europa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote:[If Redd is going to be traded, it's going to be for a player (or players) who will improve the team now.

I think Anderson Varajao would be a neutral move on a talent basis

And again I'll say that this is where you and I and likely Hammond strongly disagree. If you think AV for Redd is a neutral move in terms of talent, then we might as well stop the discussion now. We're not going anywhere.

I agree he would have value on this team. I like him. He's a solid frontcourt player. But if you made this trade, you spend the rest of the season enduring the miserable offensive issues this team has had with Redd out. Wally isn't going to solve that. He isn't a go-to offensive player. So you improve your frontcourt and significantly reduce your offensive potential and talent, likely negating any meaningful attempts to improve as the season goes on.

I also agree that the Bucks need to get a tougher frontcourt backup for M&M and Bogut. Someone like AV would be ideal but I don't think trading Redd for a top backup is a smart move to make. I think you can find that type of guy in the draft at a much less expensive cost (both in terms of salary and in terms of talent lost with Redd).
Nothing will not break me.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#107 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:Remove the unproductive players and keep the productive ones. .

I didn't think Cleveland had to worry about cap space in 2010 but I suppose if the Cav's feel they need the space to make a run at Bosh, etc. to keep LeBron I can see it.

I hate giving up that #1 in your deal with Memphis. But the more you see out of our young players the more you realize we'll need that salary flexibility. And we'll need to find the court time for those guys.

In regards to LRMAM, I think Ty had on his blog a good analysis of how LRMAM does have long arms, but even with those long arms he is pretty undersized as a PF.

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#108 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:53 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

I hate giving up that #1 in your deal with Memphis. But the more you see out of our young players the more you realize we'll need that salary flexibility. And we'll need to find the court time for those guys.

Everybody and their mother is saying 2009 is the weakest draft in years. If we could use that pick to move Gadzuric and get back a second rounder, then do it.

paulpressey25 wrote:

In regards to LRMAM, I think Ty had on his blog a good analysis of how LRMAM does have long arms, but even with those long arms he is pretty undersized as a PF.

With Midas, it doesn't matter. Some players struggle to compete when they lose the size advantage. Mbah a Moute seems to always have an anticipatory advantage. He is one step ahead on everything and always focused. There are few power forwards that can match him in that. Add quickness and speed to his amazing awareness, and you get our budding superstar.

I've always liked the tactic of having 3 swingmen on the floor with a point guard and a center. So, I don't mind Mbah a Moute playing power forward at all. He is our potential DPOY candidate and the great thing is that that could be at 3 different positions.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#109 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:10 am

From page one of the thread. Back in early November.

paulpressey25 wrote: 2. We diversify our team and get two contributors from that $17 million. If Redd goes down with injury that is a ton of dead weight on the cap. Here you'd have Lee picking up 10 rebounds per game and garbage baskets should JC go down or be a bust.

jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#110 » by jerrod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 am

paulpressey25 wrote:From page one of the thread. Back in early November.

paulpressey25 wrote: 2. We diversify our team and get two contributors from that $17 million. If Redd goes down with injury that is a ton of dead weight on the cap. Here you'd have Lee picking up 10 rebounds per game and garbage baskets should JC go down or be a bust.

you predicted that redd would get hurt? what are you gonna do for an encore? shoot fish in a barrel? :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks