ImageImage

POLL: What should be our plan before the trade deadline?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Make a push for the Playoffs or Rebuild?

Playoffs (Make a deal or two to bring in talent to help the push to the playoffs)
41%
Rebuild (Salary dump, trading Redd & RJ for expiring contracts and/or draft picks)
30%
Stand Pat (Go with the roster we have now and see what happens)
29%

Total votes: 76

Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

POLL: What should be our plan before the trade deadline? 

Post#1 » by Max Green » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:02 pm

Just want to get the general consensus here on what Hammond should do before the deadline.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: What should be our plan before the trade deadline? 

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Depends on what the market offers us.

My first goal would be to see if a superstar player can be acquired for all of our young guys plus draft picks. Make sure teams aren't willing to part with guys like Dirk or Amare. Odds of that happening are low, but you've got to check.

Failing that, the next most logical thing to do is see if we can salary dump RJ and Redd. I'm voting this way in the poll, because it's the most realistic outcome - not because I would prefer it to winning now.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: POLL: What should be our plan before the trade deadline? 

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 pm

I'd like to see what we can get for RJ. The nice thing about RJ is that if we trade him, its still win now, especially if his play thus far is to be the indicator for his future play.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:18 pm

The 70 or so people that post here (and live close enough to town to go to Bucks games) do not represent the totallity of who the Bucks have to cater to. Granted this crowd might be more loyal, interested, intuitive to the salary cap, etc. But they are not going to be the ones that buy tickets and most directly support the team financially.

Kohl has NO CHOICE but to try to make the playoffs, while investing in young players and hoping for improvement. There is NO WAY he can dump Redd and RJ and field a 20 win team for the next three years. First of all, no one would come. Second of all, Skiles would set off a PJ/Latrell type situation by demanding too much of scrub players. And thirdly, since attracting premiere free agents has such a low success rate for the non premiere franchises anyway.... we would be hinging our fate on the lottery, which is something that has a very low success rate anyway.

This poll is flawed, becasue while it does represent the most logical choices that Kohl and management face, he only has one choice at this time, which is to go the Pistons/Pacers midwest model of fielding a playoff team while rebuilding at the same time.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm

I'd still do the Conley deal if available, if not....

I'd look to move both Redd and RJ, focusing on young talent/expirings/picks, preferrably young talent and picks. I think it would be ideal for this team to be able to bring back both Sessions and CV on solid deals (don't see either getting over the MLE), and then getting more picks to add to the young core so we can move forward.

I'd move Ridnour for a $6M deal that expires this year if possible as well.

Keeping Redd and RJ ensures that we don't win a playoff series this year, and we go into next year with a roster salary that is pushing $70M. That disallows us from doing anything other than trading salary for salary, and we don't have the assets to upgrade that way.

My ideal scenario is getting a pick each for RJ/Redd along with deals that expire this offseason or next. Maybe split the deals up so you get like $6M expiring this year for each guy or something, and the rest of it expiring next offseason. Then you can match both CV and Sessions deals (or bring CV back on QO), and have two extra picks.

I'd be fine with a Sessions/LRMAM/CV/Bogut/Alexander + four picks in the next two years core. Still need a superstar, but with that core you're not sitting on any terrible contracts and you have young assets to make other moves.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#6 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Will Perdude wrote:There is NO WAY he can dump Redd and RJ and field a 20 win team for the next three years. First of all, no one would come.
Nobody comes now. So no change there.
Second of all, Skiles would set off a PJ/Latrell type situation by demanding too much of scrub players. And thirdly, since attracting premiere free agents has such a low success rate for the non premiere franchises anyway.... we would be hinging our fate on the lottery, which is something that has a very low success rate anyway.
It's the most successful approach ever, and with only one exception, the only method that has ever worked.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#7 » by europa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Good point about the Pacers' model Will. I've endorsed that one heavily in the past so I can't believe I didn't mention it in the other thread. That's another excellent model to follow. The Pacers had some damn good teams in the 90s.
Nothing will not break me.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#8 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Rebuild. We can't win with Redd and RJ is in serious decline. If we keep Redd or RJ around only to let CV and Sessions walk I will beg for Hammonds head on a plate.

But the second post, from Adam makes a lot of sense. Could we get a star player for our young assets to make a serious playoff push? I don't know if that's out there, but I'd do that first. If that isn't avaialbe then I am ready to start over again with bogut, LRMA, CV, Sessions and Alexander.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#9 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 pm

If we keep Redd or RJ around only to let CV and Sessions walk I will beg for Hammonds head on a plate.

Yeah, it we let future assets walk just so we can pay Redd and RJ $30M to not ever win a playoff series, many will be mad and rightfully so.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#10 » by InsideOut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Just pick a direction and go with it. If he thinks we can be a contender with this core then trade away all the picks and youth and go for it. If he thinks we only have a couple pieces of a future contender then quit wasting time and keep those pieces but blow the rest of it up. I will support either one but the last thing I want to see happen is keeping this mediocre core while adding mediocre players around it.
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 pm

In my opinion the only legitimate reason people should have to get mad is if Hammond makes moves that make the team worse. At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter who stays or who goes as long as he's improving the team.

That's my take anyway.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 pm

InsideOut wrote:Just pick a direction and go with it. If he thinks we can be a contender with this core then trade away all the picks and youth and go for it. If he thinks we only have a couple pieces of a future contender then quit wasting time and keep those pieces but blow the rest of it up. I will support either one but the last thing I want to see happen is keeping this mediocre core while adding mediocre players around it.

+1
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#13 » by Max Green » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
If we keep Redd or RJ around only to let CV and Sessions walk I will beg for Hammonds head on a plate.

Yeah, it we let future assets walk just so we can pay Redd and RJ $30M to not ever win a playoff series, many will be mad and rightfully so.

If Hammond is able to land a starting caliber PF and Bogut is healthy I think we have a great chance to win a playoff series with CV coming off the bench.

If we don't make the playoffs this year RJ and/or Redd won't be here at start of the next season.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#14 » by El Duderino » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:45 pm

europa wrote:Good point about the Pacers' model Will. I've endorsed that one heavily in the past so I can't believe I didn't mention it in the other thread. That's another excellent model to follow. The Pacers had some damn good teams in the 90s.

Weren't Reggie Miller and Rick Smits lottery picks?
europa
RealGM

Post#15 » by europa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

El Duderino wrote:
europa wrote:Good point about the Pacers' model Will. I've endorsed that one heavily in the past so I can't believe I didn't mention it in the other thread. That's another excellent model to follow. The Pacers had some damn good teams in the 90s.

Weren't Reggie Miller and Rick Smits lottery picks?

Yup. Miller 11th; Smits 2nd.

Would you consider Smits a superstar?
InsideOut
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by InsideOut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

MVP4Champ wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

If Hammond is able to land a starting caliber PF and Bogut is healthy I think we have a great chance to win a playoff series with CV coming off the bench.

If we don't make the playoffs this year RJ and/or Redd won't be here at start of the next season.

What if we get the 8th seed with 39 wins and get swept in the first round by Boston? Does that mean we should keep those two and continue to build around them?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#17 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Why do people continue to insist that the lottery is the only way to success when the lottery in the past 8 years has led us to: Joel Przybilla, Marcus Hailsip, an Anthony Mason trade, a Jamaal Magloire trade, TJ Ford, Andrew Bogut, Yi and Joe Alexander.

The only keeper and difference maker out of that whole lot is Bogut and he will not make the impact that LBJ, Dwight or Yao Ming has made on their franchises.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#18 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:57 pm

europa wrote:In my opinion the only legitimate reason people should have to get mad is if Hammond makes moves that make the team worse. At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter who stays or who goes as long as he's improving the team.

That's my take anyway.

It's safe to assume we all agree with that.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#19 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm

How many starting caliber PFs are in the NBA?

Or, how many PFs start for their teams that are not starting caliber? Name those teams, please.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
InsideOut
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by InsideOut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Why do people continue to insist that the lottery is the only way to success when the lottery in the past 8 years has led us to: Joel Przybilla, Marcus Hailsip, an Anthony Mason trade, a Jamaal Magloire trade, TJ Ford, Andrew Bogut, Yi and Joe Alexander.

The only keeper and difference maker out of that whole lot is Bogut and he will not make the impact that LBJ, Dwight or Yao Ming has made on their franchises.

Because now we have a GM that we think can draft better than LH did. And your Bogut comment tells you why people continue to insist on the lottery. He is the only difference maker the Bucks have added in the past 8 years and how did we get him...THE LOTTERY. What other plan has worked better at adding difference makers (Jabbar, Sidney, Marcus, Dog, Allen, Bogut) for the Bucks? I await your answer?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks