ImageImage

Why Didn't the Bulls Complete the Amare Trade YESTERDAY?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,741

Why Didn't the Bulls Complete the Amare Trade YESTERDAY? 

Post#1 » by Licensed to Il » Sat Feb 7, 2009 11:58 pm

Gosh, Paxson has been sitting around with "trade constipation" for three or four years now. He missed out on KG, Gasol, and Kobe and yet tells the media with a straight face that there just hasn't been anything out there that makes sense for the organization.

Then the lottery gods gave them a homegrown (potential) superstar in Rose. Yet they still have a bloated mix of expiring contracts (Gooden), contracts that expire in the big 2010 FA summer (Hughes), and bratty youngsters who are never going to become all stars (Ty Thomas, Jerkokim Noah).

And now Amare is out there and Kerr said he knows he is not going to get equal value back but he is willing to take expiring deals and young talent.

Why did Paxson even go to bed last night without having made this deal? There is nothing (short of Rose) that Chicago could give up this deal for Amare and regret it. They would actually be BETTER OFF getting rid of busts like Ty Thomas and Noaoh.

NBA = no balls association indeed
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Re: Why Didn't the Bulls Complete the Amare Trade YESTERDAY? 

Post#2 » by Buck You » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:04 am

They didn't think it was a big deal.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#3 » by Rockmaninoff » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:05 am

One reason could be that the Bulls are the most profitable team in the NBA, even when they are mediocre or worse. Maybe the owner just doesn't care enough?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#4 » by europa » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:10 am

I think Stoudamire/Hill for Deng/Gooden/Noah/1st makes sense for both teams. The Bulls get the superstar they crave to team with Rose and the Suns get Gooden's expiring deal and two young players to rebuild with, including one (Deng) who is legitimately talented though his play has regressed this season.
Nothing will not break me.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:15 am

Europa, my beef is that there are actualyl dopes calling the radio in Chicago saying that would be too much to give up (for Stoudamire).

I would make that deal in a second.

No player is perfect, and there are no sure things. Having said that, a roster featuring Rose and Amare would be the best 1-2 punch in the east for the forseeable future. Sure Orlando is always going to be in the mix, but Rose and Amare, dang. Isn't that worth the gamble Pax? If it isn't, I don't know what is.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#6 » by europa » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:19 am

Will Perdude wrote:Europa, my beef is that there are actualyl dopes calling the radio in Chicago saying that would be too much to give up (for Stoudamire).

The irony is Deng was the key guy they were often so reluctant to part with and now his play has dropped off and there isn't as much luster on him as there was in the past. But I agree this is yet another golden opportunity for the Bulls to acquire a superstar talent. They have the pieces to make a trade work. Will they hem and haw and screw themselves yet another time or will Paxson step up and actually get a deal done that will improve his team?
Nothing will not break me.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,715

Post#7 » by emunney » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:50 am

I still think Deng is a terrific player despite the downturn in his stats, but if he's the main piece in a deal for Amare, the only question is where you're holding the afterparty.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#8 » by Ayt » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:02 am

I don't see why we should assume PHX can't do better than what the Bulls can offer. If I were them, I wouldn't want to take on Deng's contract.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:05 am

I'm not so sure we shouldn't closely consider what D'Antoni did for his career. This season he's been a shell of the player he was in year's past.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#10 » by smooth 'lil balla » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:10 am

DrugBust wrote:I'm not so sure we shouldn't closely consider what D'Antoni did for his career. This season he's been a shell of the player he was in year's past.
This is also his first season with Shaq clogging the middle demanding the ball.

Steve Kerr is the worst GM in the game right now...or at least he gives McHale a run for his money.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:18 am

The other thing about Deng, is that he will never be the best player on a championship team. There is not one thing he does well enough to beat another team (night in and night out). His skillset and his personality make him an ideal second or third option. He is fantastic off the ball, he shoots a fairly high percentage, he defends, and he rebounds. But if you try to run offense through him, or pencil him in for 25 points a night.. you are screwed. So I agree with you... you just don't make a guy untouchable unless he is going to easily win his matchup 70% of the time. I honestly think that Amare, despite his flaws (prima dona and not a rugged defender) is going to get you a matchup advantage 90% of the time. Paxson has to make this deal... no matter what it costs him.

How could Phoenix turn down: Deng, Gooden, and Thomas?

Rose, Gordon, and Amare would be a very difficult trio to contain.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#12 » by Ayt » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:24 am

Will Perdude wrote:The other thing about Deng, is that he will never be the best player on a championship team. There is not one thing he does well enough to beat another team (night in and night out). His skillset and his personality make him an ideal second or third option. He is fantastic off the ball, he shoots a fairly high percentage, he defends, and he rebounds. But if you try to run offense through him, or pencil him in for 25 points a night.. you are screwed. So I agree with you... you just don't make a guy untouchable unless he is going to easily win his matchup 70% of the time. I honestly think that Amare, despite his flaws (prima dona and not a rugged defender) is going to get you a matchup advantage 90% of the time. Paxson has to make this deal... no matter what it costs him.

How could Phoenix turn down: Deng, Gooden, and Thomas?

Rose, Gordon, and Amare would be a very difficult trio to contain.

Because they don't want to pay Deng 12+ million for the next five seasons.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#13 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:29 am

Ayt wrote:Because they don't want to pay Deng 12+ million for the next five seasons.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#14 » by bigkurty » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:35 am

I like some of these ideas from Chad Ford
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... rio-090207

Some are junk but that New Jersey one seems pretty good all the way around.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#15 » by jax98 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:39 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:One reason could be that the Bulls are the most profitable team in the NBA, even when they are mediocre or worse. Maybe the owner just doesn't care enough?

Ding, Ding, Ding.

People are quick to blame Pax, but he actually found common ground with Memphis for Gasol. Jerry Reinsdorf vetoed it due to luxury tax concerns.

This is more on JR than Paxson.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,131

Post#16 » by jokeboy86 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:02 am

I see the Heat or NJ getting him base off Ford's deals. The NJ deal is good for NJ but from the Suns side you're basically giving up the season and getting nothing in return. The Heat deal makes perfect sense from both sides. If the Heat get Stoudemire, my god.... With Amare and Wade in my opinion the Cavaliers become irrelevant. Either way if Stoudemire goes to NJ or Miami, Lebron goes into depression and closer to leaving Cleveland.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#17 » by Badgerlander » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:12 am

Why are bulls fans in our Forum? Don't they have their own? Why would Phoenix want the Bulls dreck? Aside from Rose there isn't one good young player with potential on their roster.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Post#18 » by Profound23 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:27 am

My guess is the Bulls don't have anything outside of Rose that the Suns would take for Amare, when the Heat are offering possibly offering Beasley.

I don't see him going any where else than the Heat.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#19 » by sonny » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:20 am

Will Perdude wrote:Gosh, Paxson has been sitting around with "trade constipation" for three or four years now. He missed out on KG, Gasol, and Kobe and yet tells the media with a straight face that there just hasn't been anything out there that makes sense for the organization.

He offered Deng+Chandler+#2 for KG but McHale declined because he wasn't trading KG. A year later KG was traded and the Bulls no longer had the contracts to offer.

And now Amare is out there and Kerr said he knows he is not going to get equal value back but he is willing to take expiring deals and young talent.

Reports have had the Bulls talking to the Suns, I doubt any deals involving big names like this get done in an hour, even if the accepted deals are the same ones offered on the first day of proposals.

There is nothing (short of Rose) that Chicago could give up this deal for Amare and regret it. They would actually be BETTER OFF getting rid of busts like Ty Thomas and Noaoh.

Our insiders have said that the Bulls are willing to offer anyone but Rose.

Both Tyrus and Noah have been playing very well, Tyrus since December and Noah since January.

Deng has been playing like the Deng of old. In December he put up 14/5, January 18/9 and the two games in February, 21/5.
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#20 » by apdamico » Sun Feb 8, 2009 10:43 pm

bigkurty wrote:I like some of these ideas from Chad Ford
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... rio-090207

Some are junk but that New Jersey one seems pretty good all the way around.

One of those trades interested me because it had the Thunder trading Green, Smith and Mason for Amare. I didn't think you could trade an injured player because they'd have to pass a physical before the trade could become official.

It it's true that a team could waive the injured player (in this case Mason) to accept a trade this same situation could be a possibility for the Bucks in trading away Ridnour. Luke is going to be back before the end of the season, so he's not out for the year like DMase, but then again he doesn't have an expiring contract either like Mason.

The fact that it's a possibility though opens up an additional potential move that Hammond could have in his back pocket to either acquire cap relief for next season or a player that could help the team immediately, instead of waiting 4-weeks for Luke's injury to heal.

I see plenty of posters you would prefer Ridnour traded and I didn't think it was a possibility, now it appears that move could in fact be a possibility. :D
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks