ImageImage

Spurs might sign Horry to trade him

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

blueedwards
Banned User
And1: 0

Spurs might sign Horry to trade him 

Post#1 » by blueedwards » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:52 pm

There pulling a Mavs, cheat the rules to get a trade with the Kings going for Salmons or Miller. :lol: Why cant we cheat to get into some good trades. :D
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Re: Spurs might sign Horry to trade him 

Post#2 » by drew881 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah, lets call up some former players and turn them into expiring deals. Jason Caffey could sure use the money to pay child support.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#3 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:21 pm

Would the Spurs want RJ? They could just sign Horry to a large contract to make salaries work, then trade him and a couple throw-ins for RJ. RJ seems like a good fit for them.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,046

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:23 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Would the Spurs want RJ? They could just sign Horry to a large contract to make salaries work, then trade him and a couple throw-ins for RJ. RJ seems like a good fit for them.

I think that is prohibited under the collective bargaining agreement. Horry becomes a base year compensation player I believe.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
blueedwards
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by blueedwards » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:51 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Would the Spurs want RJ? They could just sign Horry to a large contract to make salaries work, then trade him and a couple throw-ins for RJ. RJ seems like a good fit for them.

I would take Finley and Horry. If Spurs dont want RJ. RJ could be dealt to a third party and the third party could deal whatever the Spurs want. Like Vince Carter or Miller or Salmons. Long as we get expiring deals. :lol:
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#6 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 9:00 pm

blueedwards wrote:There pulling a Mavs, cheat the rules to get a trade with the Kings going for Salmons or Miller. :lol: Why cant we cheat to get into some good trades. :D
Why is this a thread? And your point is..................what exactly? :confused: How or why should I respond to a player who has not played all year long for a team out of the playoff picture it seems?

What do we care as Bucks fans!? I say, so what! What does this have to do with us...and can't you find another thread to put this?

You must be a Spurs fan. Well, we don't really care exactly what the Spurs do or where they put Horry...Or perhaps I speak for myself.

My concern right now is the Milwaukee Bucks. :roll:
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by apdamico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 12:09 am

paulpressey25 wrote:

I think that is prohibited under the collective bargaining agreement. Horry becomes a base year compensation player I believe.

This article states otherwise:

John Salmons or Brad Miller may very well never play for the San Antonio Spurs, but the mere possibility of how one or the other could get there is worth revealing because of the other name involved.

Robert Horry.

According to a source close to the Spurs, San Antonio has interest in Salmons or Miller and the only way of landing one of them may be by way of the man who so many Kings fans despise. Horry the Kings-killer is not playing and has shown no signs of coming out of retirement, but he may be the only way San Antonio can land Salmons or Miller. The Spurs, according to the source, are considering which player helps them more and trying to figure out what it would take to bring one of them on board. The big three of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are obviously untouchable, and there aren't a whole lot of intriguing or attractive players or contracts beyond that.

Enter Horry, who would re-sign with San Antonio for this season only in a deal worth (insert necessary $ figure here) and then be traded. He would then be waived by the Kings while chuckling on his way out the door with a huge check in hand, with the Kings also possibly taking back Michael Finley (expiring deal worth $2.5 million) and getting out from underneath a contract (Salmons or Miller) they no longer see as part of the big picture plan. Because Horry played last season, I believe it's within the post-retirement timeframe that this sort of deal would still be allowed by the league. The part where this likely falls apart - if it's ever discussed at all - is the Kings wanting more.

San Antonio doesn't have a first-round pick this year, although they could give up second-round picks for 2009 and/or a future first-rounder. Now because Salmons' deal is worth $5.4 next year (with a player option for 2010-11 worth $5.8) and Miller's expires next year at $12.2 million, it is obviously easier to get to Salmons' number (or within the collective bargaining agreement-mandated 125 percent). The Spurs are just one a number of teams looking at the Kings' roster and pondering the possibilities, but the context and history surrounding this one would make this move far more comical than the rest. - Sam Amick
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#8 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Feb 9, 2009 12:49 am

Horry made $3.63 mil last season. That means he could be given a salary of up to $4.356 mil without becoming BYC.

I'm posting from my phone right now so I will probably wait to post more on this til later, but something like this is doable
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#9 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Feb 9, 2009 12:54 am

The article is wrong about Horry being waived this season though. If the Kings waive him this season that will make the trade itself deemed as circumvention. They would waive him once the season is over
97-98

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#10 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:52 pm

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

CV may have a lot more value, but take Thomas out of that deal and add in a Horry at about the same contract except only for 1 year.

Now you're talking a shave of 10-11 million off the books for the rest of this year and the two following it.

We'd also get George Hill, a decent PG prospect that would provide us depth behind Sessions when he is easily retained after the deal.

The Spurs wanted an athletic big to stretch the defense I believe and CV fits that bill perfectly. Bell replaces Finley's production (almost), and Gadz replaces the bench fodder.

Then flip RJ and Ridnour (you don't have to include Ridnour, but for clearing purposes it would be nice) for Lafrentz/filler or Wally/filler and now we're talking about a team with $34 million on the books for next year instead of 65 million or whatever it is. Add in Sessions and you've got $40 million committed and hopefully with a speedy Redd recovery you deal him at next year's deadline or in the next offseason as a huge expiring and get some good value in return.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#11 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:06 pm

Another fun one involving 3 teams to clear out our crap and get in a few young prospects. You can once again replace Kurt Thomas' deal with Horry's if someone would prefer an expiring. Or Finley's with Horry's.

EDIT:

Or this:

Sorry, I'm just bored and screwing around with the trade machine.

Cleveland rolls with Mo/Gibson/Lebron/Ridnour/RJ/West(when he returns) rotation from 1-3 and Thomas/Wallace/Z/AV rotation up front. That's a pretty solid 10 man rotation with veteran depth for a finals push.

San Antonio goes Parker/Manu/Bell/Finley(either bought out to return to SA or Horry replaces his contract in the deal)/Mason/Bowen back court and Duncan/CV/Oberto/Gadz etc. up front.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#12 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:13 pm

I'd absolutely do that Spurs trade if the Spurs would (not so sure about that).
Part of that trade I think would have to be a wink/nod arrangement to waive Finley right after the trade so that he can rejoin the Spurs in 30 days. That might be what it takes to get the Spurs to agree and Finley to agree, since he has to consent to any trade.
97-98

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:16 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I'd absolutely do that Spurs trade if the Spurs would (not so sure about that).
Part of that trade I think would have to be a wink/nod arrangement to waive Finley right after the trade so that he can rejoin the Spurs in 30 days. That might be what it takes to get the Spurs to agree and Finley to agree, since he has to consent to any trade.

Yup. I wasn't really expecting Finley to play at all here.

That 3-team trade I suggested can obviously be tweaked a bit to make certain teams happy and I know it is a bit unlikely but if that miracle trade could occur the Bucks could be back in business overnight :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks