ImageImage

Build/Map your 2009/2010 Bucks and beyond

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Re: Build/Map your 2009/2010 Bucks and beyond 

Post#21 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 pm

I famously predicted in another thread that the Bucks would pay the lux tax to keep CV and Sessions, but here's what I would do. (Note that there's no contradiction here because my other thread was predicting what the Bucks will do, not saying what I would do.)

Since the Bucks are going nowhere long-term, I'm letting talented players walk and accepting the fact that the Bucks have to get worse before they can get better. CV I let walk for nothing. He's not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, just a piece of the puzzle. But the Bucks really don't even have a picture of the puzzle they're putting together right now - they don't even have one franchise player, much less an MVP candidate.

I have just enough financial wiggle room to force a sign-and-trade for Sessions, and I don't have to take back matching salary because he won't get more than the MLE. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I think any team can use the MLE to absorb Ramon's salary.) Ramon is a big asset and will fetch a good draft pick or young player in a sign and trade.

I keep JA and this year's draft pick (10-15 range).

Next year the Bucks will be horrible without CV and Sessions. RJ will have trade value and I'll trade him for a decent draft pick - even if I can't get expiring contracts in return. I don't sleep on any opportunity to get a young talented player for RJ, because I want to be bad and draft high next year anyway.

I'm stuck with Redd and Gadz. I keep Ridnour all season. My team is terrible for two years, but I'm stockpiling draft picks and expiring contracts and by the summer of 2011 I have a ton of expiring contracts and affordable young players. Very few teams have cap space in 2011 because of the 2010 spending spree, and I have my pick of free agents. JA, LRMAM, and Bogut are contributors, as are a few of my recent draft picks.

In other words, I go for an all out rebuild and I have a good team sooner than you think.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,027

Post#22 » by midranger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:30 pm

We need to get creative....

Redd and RJ

for

TMac and Landry

This trade removes almost 6 million from our cap next year and rids us of Redd and RJ's salary the following year potentially making us buyers in the Summer of Lebron. It allows us to keep our first and get back a PF that Hammond wanted earlier.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#23 » by tedbrogen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Shouldn't done this last summer. Could have flipped Redd and CV for draft picks and expirings and used them as a way to dump Gadz and Bell. Could have tried to flip Yi for a young player instead of RJ.

Rebuilt around Bogut, Sessions, and the draft picks.

Let's face facts, Kohl is too chicken S to completely blow things up and start from scratch, so they are stuck in 8th seed pergatory forever.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#24 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I lawled at Ayt's blueprint.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Fight the Tank » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm

midranger wrote:We need to get creative....

Redd and RJ

for

TMac and Landry

This trade removes almost 6 million from our cap next year and rids us of Redd and RJ's salary the following year potentially making us buyers in the Summer of Lebron. It allows us to keep our first and get back a PF that Hammond wanted earlier.

I like this. Do we sign CV back in this scenario?
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
blueedwards
Banned User

Post#26 » by blueedwards » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Kohl is gonna go into luxury tax next season and only next season. We will go over to sign Sessions and CV. Since insurance is paying 80% of Redd. So I see us either keeping or trading our first for a future first. Then we do the same this year. Cross our fingers for no injuries until trade deadline. Then try and trade Redd if hes close to playing again for expiring or whatever. Other wise try and deal Ridnour. Or try the impossible and move Gadz.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#27 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Kohl is gonna go into luxury tax next season and only next season. We will go over to sign Sessions and CV

No.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#28 » by paul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Mid's right, we need to get creative. I've made some big assumptions here, but the biggest is that Redd will return to health early next season and CV will be left out in the cold by the (so I keep being told) seriously depleated market.

Current payroll - $64.4m

Sign Ramon $5.5m first season - Payroll $69.9m
Sign CV to QO $4.6m - Payroll $74.5m

Trade Redd ($17m, $18.3m) and top 10 protected 1st to Cleveland, Cle trade Big Ben ($14m exp) to Dallas, Dallas trade Dampier ($12.1m, $13m) to Bucks - Payroll $69.6m

Trade Ridnour ($6.5 exp) and Elson ($1.7 exp) to Pheonix for Barbosa ($6.6m, $7.1m, $7.6m) and Amundson ($855k) - Payroll $68.85

Make second round pick ($500k) - Payroll $69.35m

Ramon/Bell/2nd
Barbosa/Bell/Moute
RJ/JA/Moute/Amundson
CV/Moute/Allen/Amundson
Bogut/Dampier/Gadz

Following season salary app. $67m committed to 10 players - Bogut, Dampier, Gadz, Moute, RJ, JA, Barbosa, Bell, Ramon, 2009 2nd.
RJ, Gadz, Dampier = $35.3m worth of expirings.

That team keeps ALL of our young prospects and our second from the upcoming draft, gives us a solid starting 2 and backup center and stays under the Lux Tax threshold. Thoughts?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#29 » by jerrod » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:00 pm

i would do that just to see shaq's eyes light up when he sees bogut and dampier warming up on the other end of the court before the first bucks suns game :D

i'm not much of a fan of barbosa but i do like that plan, of course, i think the big If of redd coming back healthy early next season might be a precarious limb to go out on
paul
RealGM

Post#30 » by paul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 pm

jerrod wrote:i would do that just to see shaq's eyes light up when he sees bogut and dampier warming up on the other end of the court before the first bucks suns game :D

i'm not much of a fan of barbosa but i do like that plan, of course, i think the big If of redd coming back healthy early next season might be a precarious limb to go out on

I thought you'd like that being the Shaq fan jerrod :D

I think it's a no brainer for Cleveland even if Redd isn't healthy until mid season - they've got a ready made replacement for Big Ben in AV, get a top 10 protected first which will be well higher than their own and if Redd can get healthy win themselves a championship - worst case scenario they take on an extra year of salary for a 1st. There's no way they lose in that deal.
Dallas would do it too - they get a better version of Dampier for about the same price who expires a year earlier.

The Pheonix deal looks good for us but they are desperate to lose salary so get two expirings and a solid PG backup that they've been looking for just for Barbosa.

I don't think we're nearly as screwed as everyone else does, we just need to use some imagination.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by Fight the Tank » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Man Dampier's an ugly contract.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
paul
RealGM

Post#32 » by paul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Bogutneedsball wrote:Man Dampier's an ugly contract.

You bet it is, but for us it shaves about $5m per off our salary number, gives us the backup center everyone has been screaming for, takes us under the threshold and runs for the same amount of time as Redd's.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Fight the Tank » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:15 pm

paul wrote:
Bogutneedsball wrote:Man Dampier's an ugly contract.

You bet it is, but for us it shaves about $5m per off our salary number, gives us the backup center everyone has been screaming for, takes us under the threshold and runs for the same amount of time as Redd's.

I agree about that. I like your moves there.

There are options to clean some of this up, but it is going to be tough.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#34 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Paul, I like the creative trades. The problem is that Allan Houston never got dealt nor did Marbury.

Non-special guards being paid $17-$18 million a year tend to be boat anchors that no amount of creativity can shed. Add in a completely blown knee and we've got problems.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#35 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Yeah, I don't see any way Redd can be moved until a year from this offseason when he's likely 100% healthy and a huge expiring.
paul
RealGM

Post#36 » by paul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:24 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Paul, I like the creative trades. The problem is that Allan Houston never got dealt nor did Marbury.

Non-special guards being paid $17-$18 million a year tend to be boat anchors that no amount of creativity can shed. Add in a completely blown knee and we've got problems.

Provided Redd is going to be ok to play during next season you don't think Cleveland do that trade Press? By during next season I mean say halfway through. I listed why I think they would do it in a post above, I think they'd be crazy not to.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#37 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:07 pm

I'd try to work something out with the Kings. They are looking for expiring contracts and young talent.

Ridnour/Alexander/2009 1st Round Pick

For

Garcia/Moore/2009 2nd Round Pick

I'm pressed for time and can't look up the exact dates, but I believe this would have to be done after July 1st. Moore's contract is unguaranteed for 2009 at the amount of $6,212,960, per ShamSports. Garcia is PPP currently, and will become BYC after July 1st, I believe. Even with Garcia's BYC status, I think that this trade would work under CBA provisions.

The Bucks would release Moore, and then hopefully have the cap space necessary for resigning Sessions and Villanueva. Garcia might be my ideal off guard next to Sessions.

2009 Lineup
Sessions
Garcia
Jefferson
Villanueva
Bogut

Bell
LRMAM
Elson

Veteran's Minimum Guard (Brevin Knight?)
2009 2nd Round Pick (Sacramento)
2009 2nd Round Pick (Milwaukee)
Redd - IR?
Allen
Gadzuric
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
blueedwards
Banned User

Post#38 » by blueedwards » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Can someone make a spread sheet for 09 Bucks? The payroll with predicted signings of Sessions and QO CV and maybe picks or not. Have it made for different price signings and subtract the Redd insurance for half a season. That way we can sticky it for summer. Then we can have future salary cap dump trade scenarios afterwords. Then make a list of expiring players for next season to trade for.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#39 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

One deal I think is plausible is Ridnour for Greg Buckner. Buckner adds a year past Ridnour and is a far worse player, but it saves us around $2.4M next year. Puts us at $67,492,916 if Sessions gets first year salary of $5.5M. That should give us enough to keep our pick given a salary of roughly $1.5M first year (assuming a $69.4M lux tax). Add Buckner to the 2010-11 expirings, we'd have a total of $45,026,102 in expirings to work with that offseason.

Edit: just saw CV posted that in his first post.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#40 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:55 pm

How about this Offseason
RJ and Allen
For
AK-47?
It doesn't save us any money and it doesn't add any, but then we get an all star caliber 4. Then we don't have the 3 spot being stock pilled.

This would also have to mean the franchise is behind JA, since he would be getting major minutes
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks