ImageImage

CV to play FIBA ball this summer?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

CV to play FIBA ball this summer? 

Post#1 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Mar 4, 2009 2:49 pm

From his blog at NBA.com - thanks to fam's blog for the link, but he didn't mention this quote:
http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300012849
Q: Would you ever consider playing for the Dominican national team?
A: Heck yeah, my agent and my brother are working out that paperwork now to get me the clearance to play. God willing, I’m likely to play in this summer’s upcoming FIBA tournament, which the DR team qualify for, in August.
Both my parents are from the Dominican Republic. And despite the fact that I was born in NYC, I was raised with a Dominican culture, so I’m Latino by heart and soul.

I think after Redd and Bogut playing in the summer and then not playing in the winter, we're all a little jaded about international ball around here. This little tidbit was buried in the bottom of a long blog post, but I don't think it's trivial news.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Re: CV to play FIBA ball this summer? 

Post#2 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:30 pm

I don't see him playing anything until he signs a contract. He would be a fool to go play and injure himself without being inked for next year already.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#3 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:04 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't see him playing anything until he signs a contract. He would be a fool to go play and injure himself without being inked for next year already.

That will probably be somewhat of a consideration for Villanueva, but when are these games exactly? The blog post mentions August.

If the Bucks tender a QO to Villanueva in order to make him an RFA, the Bucks cannot withdraw that QO after July 23rd without Villanueva's consent. The QO eventually expires, and the Bucks get to specify in the QO an expiration date anywhere from October 1st to March 1st, but for sure from July 24th until October 1st that QO will be there for Villanueva unless the Bucks never tendered it (making him a UFA instead) or withdrew it by July 23rd (making him a UFA).

My point is that by the time he would play in these FIBA games, even if he hasn't signed a contract, as long as that QO is sitting there, even if he gets injured during the FIBA games, he can at least accept that QO and just try free agency again as a UFA next offseason.

His QO is $4,623,835 and he will have made $11,061,810 already over the 4 years of his rookie scale contract, so it might be a risk he is willing to take.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#4 » by smauss » Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:23 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't see him playing anything until he signs a contract. He would be a fool to go play and injure himself without being inked for next year already.

That will probably be somewhat of a consideration for Villanueva, but when are these games exactly? The blog post mentions August.

If the Bucks tender a QO to Villanueva in order to make him an RFA, the Bucks cannot withdraw that QO after July 23rd without Villanueva's consent. The QO eventually expires, and the Bucks get to specify in the QO an expiration date anywhere from October 1st to March 1st, but for sure from July 24th until October 1st that QO will be there for Villanueva unless the Bucks never tendered it (making him a UFA instead) or withdrew it by July 23rd (making him a UFA).

My point is that by the time he would play in these FIBA games, even if he hasn't signed a contract, as long as that QO is sitting there, even if he gets injured during the FIBA games, he can at least accept that QO and just try free agency again as a UFA next offseason.

His QO is $4,623,835 and he will have made $11,061,810 already over the 4 years of his rookie scale contract, so it might be a risk he is willing to take.

GAD, I have a question for you. It would appear that the players (via the CBA I assume) are holding all the cards when it comes to playing competitive basketball outside of the NBA. These guys are making obscene amounts of money but yet if they get hurt or all the additional wear and tear on their bodies causes them to break down during the season (like a center on a team I know and love) the teams/owners have absolutely no say? Am I missing something or did the owners just get burned on this aspect of the CBA?
Again, forgive my ignorance of this if my question isn't worded properly but "you get my drift".
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks