ImageImage

Bucks talking 4-year Salmons deal (Update-page 19)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

If Salmons opts out, what do you do if you are Hammond

Resign him for 3 or more years at around 7 million/year
42%
Pay him a hefty raise for a one year deal 10/million maybe
16%
Let him walk, thinking we need to keep fiscal responsibility and 2011 cap room
31%
Let him walk, and find a younger upgrade in the draft
11%

Total votes: 140

BucksRUS
Analyst
And1: 12

Re: If Salmons Opts Out, How Should We React 

Post#161 » by BucksRUS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:Heard something interesting this morning on 1250. Most of the time these guys are morons about the Bucks, but they made a good point that he has really only been a half-season performer. Which sounds scary but I think when he's one of the top focal points of our offense he'll do fine. He just needs touches I guess.

They talked about offering $10million a year for him, not too big of a fan for that. And how is this going to change if we keep Redd. Whose going to come off the bench?

Hammond won't offer $10 mil per year. I also doubt that Salmons gets paid that much. To get paid more than the MLE, Salmons will need to get an offer from a team with cap space. Look at the teams with cap space in 2010. Chicago, Sacramento, LA Clippers, Wizards, NY, NJ, Minn, Miami and OKC. I don't really see any of these teams offering big money for a 30 yr old SG. The Clippers could sign him to play SF. Most of the teams are looking for the younger FAs since the rest of their core is young and Salmons will be done as a player by the time they are good.
Trade S. Jackson soon. NJ seems like a nice place for him.
BucksRUS
Analyst

Post#162 » by BucksRUS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:Upgrade yes, but I do not want that "upgrade" to be Redd.

Redd is done as a player. It is highly unlikely he ever plays again for the Bucks. I would not count on him for anything. Even if he comes back, he won't be effective enough to get any playing time.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#163 » by Wiscfan92 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

BucksRUS wrote:

Redd is done as a player. It is highly unlikely he ever plays again for the Bucks. I would not count on him for anything. Even if he comes back, he won't be effective enough to get any playing time.

I agree, but what are the Bucks going to do with him then?
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#164 » by Newz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:
BucksRUS wrote:

He's most likely going to be hurt all through next year...

So what we are going to do with him is just let him sit there and be hurt while recouping 80% of his salary... Or we could trade him if someone else needs to save money.
BucksRUS
Analyst

Post#165 » by BucksRUS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:

Redd will sit at the end of the bench in his suit and take up a roster spot until the trade deadline and maybe beyond. He will not be bought out as long as his contract is insured.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#166 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:This is a good debate.

If the market would require us to pay Salmons 3/$21 in any form, I still think we'd have a very hard time finding a guy to play next year who can average 18ppg, play defense, fit culturally and isn't a micro-sized guy like Ben Gordon.

I don't buy the "we have a six-year window thing". This team is operating at a 50-55 win level now with Salmons, and Bogut is the type of guy given his body type that could break down at any time. I think our window is the next three seasons. If it extends beyond that, great. But you have to start going for it as early as next year IMO.

Who out there can we bring in that provides those things that Salmons brings? And what do the contracts of those guys look like? I am just at a loss for finding a guy like that who doesn't make less than $10mm a year or would demand at least a $10mm a year FA contract.

Absolutely, this is a good debate. His age, the synergistic effect he has on the team, the team salary structure, realistic team objectives... all figure into the decision. I would go for it and sign him for the 3/21 - which I think he can command in free agency. It's hard to ignore the fact that acquiring him has completely changed this season. And to commit to paying the guy less than 2 mil over the average salary... that's getting good production from your money. You probably can't replace that production any cheaper. I don't think Milwaukee should be putting their eggs in the max free agent basket. The Bucks may not reach championship contention, but if they put themselves up in the top 5 in the East every year, they just might have the kind of luck that Orlando did last season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#167 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Bucks will likely sign either Salmons or Ray Allen, in my opinion. Salmons is the priority, Allen the consolation. They won't draft someone, and expect them to start. They also don't want Bell as the starter.

I would think that Hammond would go up to 3 years at some yearly amount over the MLE, if the last year is a team option. Salmons is tremendous value at his current price, and should be on his next contract as well.

He'll likely opt out. That makes him unrestricted, correct? Which teams will have more than the MLE in capspace, and which will need a swingman?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
BucksRUS
Analyst

Post#168 » by BucksRUS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:Bucks will likely sign either Salmons or Ray Allen, in my opinion. Salmons is the priority, Allen the consolation. They won't draft someone, and expect them to start. They also don't want Bell as the starter.

I would think that Hammond would go up to 3 years at some yearly amount over the MLE, if the last year is a team option. Salmons is tremendous value at his current price, and should be on his next contract as well.

He'll likely opt out. That makes him unrestricted, correct? Which teams will have more than the MLE in capspace, and which will need a swingman?

Chicago, Sacramento, LA Clippers, Wizards, NY, NJ, Minn, Miami and OKC. I don't really see any of these teams offering big money for a 30 yr old SG.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#169 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

BucksRUS wrote:
Chicago, Sacramento, LA Clippers, Wizards, NY, NJ, Minn, Miami and OKC. I don't really see any of these teams offering big money for a 30 yr old SG.

Reassuring. Thanks.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#170 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 pm

BucksRUS wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:Bucks will likely sign either Salmons or Ray Allen, in my opinion. Salmons is the priority, Allen the consolation. They won't draft someone, and expect them to start. They also don't want Bell as the starter.

I agree, but all it takes is one team. Washington found that out a few years ago when they overpaid for Jamison (Philly bid him up before they went for Brand) and Arenas (the Clippers bid him up before settling on the Baron). That's a good call about Rayray being a potential consolation. He can still play.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mikemulloy
Junior
And1: 0

Post#171 » by mikemulloy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

giving him a max contract is the reason the NBA is in the state its in today. Paying max money for non max players. if he opts out, let him walk.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#172 » by trwi7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

mikemulloy wrote:giving him a max contract is the reason the NBA is in the state its in today. Paying max money for non max players. if he opts out, let him walk.

lol wut?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
mikemulloy
Junior

Post#173 » by mikemulloy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm

someone a few pages before said give him a max contract. i hope it was in jest, but giving guys max contracts that aren't max contract caliber players is the reason that most owners are crying poor right now. how much is he worth? probably close to what he's getting paid now.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#174 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

lol the guy who said give him a max contract was joking
mikemulloy
Junior

Post#175 » by mikemulloy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 pm

well tell him the internet is for serious business!! lol

seriously though, i hope he doesn't opt out but if he does just let someone else over pay for him. he's playing with a chip on his shoulder since the bulls were kinda down on him.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#176 » by WiscoKing13 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

lux falls to 67 mil which I think is resonable(a 3 mil drop)

If salmons opts out and we keep delfino our cap number is 49.4 mil with than 8 players on the rosters. As I stated before salmons I believe will not get above the MLE for two or three year contract. The bucks come back and out bid the market for a year and sign him to a one year ten million dollar deal. Sure he might leave a year on the table that might be worth about 6 mil, but he can than sign another deal after the season.

The bucks than sit at 59.4 and the three draft picks, factor in 3 mil for the 3 picks and your around 62.4 and 12 players. Than use the BAE worth next off season around 1.7 mil to get duhon/vet PG, move to 64.1. That leaves you around 2.9 mil of your MLE extention to go bring in jermain o'neal maybe?? So again were right at the lux with 14 players

BJ/Duhon or vet PG/Bell

Salmons/Bell/Redd

Delfino/LRMAM

Ersan/LRMAM

Bogut/O'neal or vet C/Gadz

with 3 draft picks

Than you bank on improving your team through the draft and the deadline with the expirings like Redd/Gadz, but than your not tied into salmons for anything over a year and you keep your cap flexablity
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#177 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 am

I'd imagine Salmons opts out- somebodys going to offer him more money than Hammond will.

I'm not worried about it at all- I'm not sure there's anything special about Salmons in and of himself- I think the difference maker is having a guy like him at that 2 spot (i.e., not a liability at defense, size, can get to line AND hit outside etc). I guess I feel that almost anybody who was an upgrade at the 2 over the Bell/whoever platoon (or over Redd for that matter) would probably fit in the same way with similar results.
Maybe I'm underrating Salmons, or underestimating what he brings to the table, but...

PS I think I'd actually rather pay Ridnour for a couple more years than I would Salmons (depending on the price of course)
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#178 » by LUKE23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 am

PS I think I'd actually rather pay Ridnour for a couple more years than I would Salmons (depending on the price of course)

Why? One is a clear starter and one isn't. Salmons means a lot more to this team than Ridnour does, we can get another vet backup PG for less than the MLE. If Ridnour is fine with a 3/9M deal or something, then fine, but he's easily replaceable.
BucksRUS
Analyst

Post#179 » by BucksRUS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 am

LUKE23 wrote:

Why? One is a clear starter and one isn't. Salmons means a lot more to this team than Ridnour does, we can get another vet backup PG for less than the MLE. If Ridnour is fine with a 3/9M deal or something, then fine, but he's easily replaceable.

I would rather replace Ridnour with a more defensive PG or one with more size.
+BucksFuture
Freshman

Post#180 » by +BucksFuture » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 pm

if he does indeed decide to opt out i think hammond will make him an offer that was typical for a player in detroit. It will be relatively cheap. At most I would offer would be a deal around 3/18 but maybe having it go 7.5.6 for the payouts or basically put as much as possible into next years contract with maybe the middle year being the cheapest

Return to Milwaukee Bucks