Image Image Image Image

COMPLETE 2019 NHL DRAFT COVERAGE

Moderator: TNBT

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Re: COMPLETE 2019 NHL DRAFT COVERAGE 

Post#21 » by GRADEN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:23 pm

And with the roster pretty much set unless they feel comfortable doing a Saad deal (unlikely).... we can get into predictions right now.... some WC teams got worse but some teams got sneaky good

Avalanche are very very scary to me... I think they are Cup Champs within 2-3 seasons. Preds still playoff team just not better... Blues still good, still young in important spots...

To me the hawks should be right around 100pts... 97-103 range and a seeding in that 5-7 range.

Crawford and Lehner is an elite 1-2 punch, we have an offense that returns and we solidified our D with vets and depth... offense top 6-7 in league and D top 18-22 I think
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#22 » by GRADEN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Worst offseasons:

1. Sharks (financial hell, lost their identity)
2. Islanders (struck out)
3. Columbus (couldn’t retain)

Best offseasons
1. Avalanche (Byram, Newhook steals)
2. Rangers (Now have 2 elite wings)
3. Blackhawks (Goalie tandem, depth)
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#23 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Time for a reminder to be scared of the past...

Like remember when Shawn Lalonde was the future and they even let him ride on the 13’ championship bus even though he to that point never played???

Like remember when Kyle Beech was a steal and was a lock to be a dominant power forward?

Like remember when Adam Clendening was Seabrook 2.0 and a cant trade asset. He has played 90 career games up to this posting.

I suppose the point is that while our top 10 prospects all currently look like NHLers... most likely history tells us that 3-4 will be busts 3-4 will just get a little NHL time and that really only 3-4 of them will be long time contributors at the highest level and that it is likely not the ones we think...
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#24 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 pm

My views from camp:

Nylander has nothing left to prove in minors... has to take on bottom 6 role.

Dach is an extremely likable guy... a guy that can wear the C perhaps.

Boqvist is dang fast. He does not want to go to Rockford or London. Bouchard is going to Oilers so he’d be alone on Knights OHL.

Entwhistle is large kid, has a lot of ability.

Kurashev is maybe the most talented offensive forward at camp.

Beaudin also fast, but body needs work.

Vlasic and Dach don’t look 18, they look just as old as the 19/20/21 year olds at camp.

Barratt not playing / doubt he ever plays for hawks - prime trade asset with his huge growth in game over last year.

Mitchell is the “calm” defenseman out there... very good control / makes correct decision almost always

From what I saw from all coverage it seems like Nylander is on this team... Boqvist is a likely split candidate with Rockford / hawks - id guess he gets 35-40 NHL games but if we are winning it is likely less
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#25 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Ok so lots of thoughts from dev camp this week....

I’ve watched absolutely everything and the scrimmage twice

I believe there were something like 35-37 prospects... including some goalies nearby asked to come and give some breathers... Skog actually looked pretty good.

So just on the scrimmage... player impressions

1. Boqvist can really dance out there and has some truly elite possession moves. The one where he skated backwards and protected the puck to the blue line then quickly brought it back forward to pass to me was just a wow moment. Not many pros can do this move and keep the puck. On the other hand you can see him get bodied off the puck / yes he got it back but he would lose the rush of play. He needs to gain lower body strength, I’m sure he knows this. He had many electric passes out there and was easily the fastest skater in puck possession.

2. Dach has a huge reach and used his angles well to shield and create space. He lost the first 3 FO against Kurashev and by my count was something like 5/12 for the game. He was at his best behind the net and seemed very comfortable circling around. His speed was just fine, not slow not fast. I enjoy his team first play and that let the white come back from 3-0 to 4-3 I thought. He was hesitant on the battles I thought almost like wait that’s my buddy I’m not going to body him up here... it’s all understandable. His second goal was his better one... very much a net presence centerman.

3. Hagel was my pick for most Ready in the forward group. To me he looks like a 3rd line hustle LW... with a 2nd line LW shot. He really could keep possession better than I anticipated. I was very impressed with him.

4. Nylander is a big strong wing... better as a RW I thought. Buuuuuuut he does NOT pass,,,! He would easily beat his guy on sheer strength and then beat 2 guys on a good line drag and then 3 guys would eventually pull the puck away... he would never look up or across only straight ahead at his guy and his puck possession. It was disappointing honestly because you can see he is a talented power forward able to push through and ahead when circling or on a rush play. He needs coaching and guidance on these situations... I think he a hard worker out there but I think he believes he measured by goals.... and that isn’t true.

5. Kurashev - he was extremely steady out there... very much a center but could help at LW too I think. He has great ability at stick lift and also looks like someone that could lead a penalty playing in between the circles. His FOs were could tell he works on it. I think that over the week he has to be in the top 3-4 of prospects ready for the NHL.

6. Vlasic - physically imposing .... all defense and zero offense right now and that’s his game. He really plays a mindful game of not giving up a rush or a quality shot. He is 3 years away, but is an impressive guy already.

7. Beaudin — love his game! Has to be my fav d prospect... he is our best passer out there... had a saucer pass across ice to hagel for a one timer goal. His skating and passing is really above age... again needs some strength out there but what 19 year old doesn’t

8. Mitchell - maybe the best of the D at being a two way steady performer.. very advanced IQ and has a nice straight line passing approach. Very under the radar in terms of quick movement passing and setting up lanes for teammates... I really enjoyed his approach to the game... no big moves one way means no big moves the other way type of play

Others like Entwistle Teply and Saarela seemed like guys destined to be multi faceted wings / centers that know their way into plays... guys that have great frames that may lay some nice hits in the future as well.

Overall view of camp... Hagel, Kurashev, and Beaudin my big winners... I was taken by surprise how close all 3 of them are to NHL Ready.... Boqvist, dach, and Nylander the most skilled guys but definitely ones with easily identifiable flaws too as of now.

And Mitchell... what a steady reliable defenseman. I don’t know if he’d ever be a big point guy but he’s really dependable already... I could see him on a PK line in a year or 2.

My best of camp....

1. Kurashev
2. Hagel
3. Mitchell
4. Boqvist
5. Beaudin
6. Dach
7. Entwistle
8. Nylander
9. Galvin
10. Ess
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#26 » by GRADEN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm

WHat are we thinking in terms of the West right now?

I think maybe my list may be a bit odd, but also plausible.... a lot of people are down on the Jets but I think there is still too much there

Western

1. Dallas 106
2. Jets 103
3. Knights 101
4. Sharks 99
5. Blackhawks 98
6. Avalanche 98
7. Blues 95
8. Predators 95
9. Flames 94
10. Wild 92
11. Coyotes 90
12. Oilers 90
13. Ducks 82
14. Kings 81
15. Canucks 77
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#27 » by GRADEN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm

5 years from now, what will we need?

Kubalik 28- Toews 36 - RW
DeBrincat 25- Dach 23 - Kane 35
Hagel 25 - Kurashev 25 - RW
Entwistle 25 - C - RW

Vlasic 23 - Boqvist 24
Mitchell 25 - Beaudin 24
Murphy 31 - D

Lehner 32 - Lankanen 29 - Gravel 24

Notes: Dylan Strome is a tough case, we should sign him long term and eventually we should also trade him for a veteran RW as soon as Dach is ready for that 2nd line C spot. I can’t see Strome being good in the 3rd line C, can’t see him ok trying out at wing again, and I can’t see us moving on from Toews anytime soon... I’m just not sure he has a long term spot now. We will need RWs really quickly... through trade, draft, or prospect core though. If Strome would work at RW this wouldn’t be an issue but there is proof already that he is better at C.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#28 » by GRADEN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:37 pm

If I were bowman I’d lock up Strome to a mid bridge deal that coincides with Dachs EL deal -

His worth? I think it’s right in line with 3/13.5... that’s a fair deal on both sides and it puts him line with being a big time UFA at 24-25 years old

DeBrincat too... although I’d want to lock him up longer... say 5/35-37.5 but if i were his agent I’d want a 3/21.5 instead and then look at a near 10 deal when he is ready
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#29 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I have an interesting comparison for Dach... one that I think could be more in line... Alexander Barkov..... former #2 pick whom first 2 seasons were just meh and then had a good 3rd season then an all star 4th season and an elite 5th season... it took him some time but he rounded into a pass first power center for Florida.

Man I was looking at some recent just top 3 picks.., so many busts out there.... none bigger than Nail Yukapov former #1 in an awful draft. He doesn’t even play here anymore... Jonathan Drouin is a 2-3rd line LW for Montreal... not a bust but man he has the talent to be elite but his attitude is holding him back
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#30 » by GRADEN » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:29 pm

Lines??

8 steady every night guys and a likely rotation of 6-7 forwards?

Shaw - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - RW
Saad - Carpenter - RW
LW - Smith - RW

Kubalik, Wedin, Nylander, Kampf, Caggulia, Sikura

Perlini unsigned

Kane I think straddles more with Toews and Strome than you think this season... with Toews on the PP and Strome on ES perhaps...

I think Kubalik and Kampf are the other steady wings and Caggulia, Sikura, Nylander, and Wedin sprinkled in from time to time
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#31 » by GRADEN » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:45 pm

My opening night line prediction if asked today

Shaw - Toews - Kubalik
DeBrincat - Strome - Kane
Saad - Smith - Kampf
Perlini - Carpenter - Nylander

Sikura / Caggulia/ Wedin

Keith - Gustafson
Murphy- De Haan
Maatta - Seabrook

Crawford / Lehner / Delia
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#32 » by GRADEN » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:14 pm

Latest on Perlini - hawks want to offer 1m and they want about 1.5m

We have a shade under 2.5 but want max flexibility to make an in season in even trade if needed... so I think Perlini is on the block - he is a 3/4th line LW on a team with 6-7 of those guys so who knows right now
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#33 » by TNBT » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:21 am

Personally I’m probably looking at these lines:

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Shaw
Saad - Kampf - Nylander
Perlini - Carpenter - Smith

Both of the top two lines have two talented scorers who work well together, paired with a gritty tough type to go to the net and do the dirty work. Caggiula has worked well with Toews and Kane in the past, and I think a veteran tough guy like Shaw would do wonders for two young kids in DeBrincat and Strome.

The third line has size, speed and scoring talent, and playing with other offensive threats will give Nylander the chance to prove that he’s capable of playing on one of the scoring lines in future seasons. As for the bottom line, Carpenter and Smith are two very steady, savvy veterans who can play a real defensive role, and Perlini is the wildcard who could provide some offense, and I’d like to see him brought back to have a better look at what he’s capable of.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#34 » by GRADEN » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Yea I’m good with Kaner and Toews together - can’t find it but CJC has said he likes them together

Idk we have the same 12 and I really think the 6 blue is completely set... but I think Kubalik gets at least 1st crack on top line... bowman has said to the word, “he will start just like Kahun and can do the same things already” and Kahun did get a lot of big shifts right away.

Traverse city and I think it will really give MK - SB - JM - JC - MC the look at Boqvist / Dach / Entwistle they need even before TC on 9-15 to really see where they will play this year...

For my 2 cents though it’s really Hagel that is truly the most NHL ready out of anyone... he could come right in to bottom six LW and score... his shot is top level ready now.

This year is all about our 2 goalies being healthy...

2 healthy goalies = 99-107 points
1 healthy = 90-99 points
Injury plagued year = top 10 pick again

I don’t see this any other way...
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#35 » by GRADEN » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:02 pm

Our Traverse City Tourney team is legit:

Dach / Entwistle / Hagel / R Johnson / Teply / Soderlund / Kurashev

Teply will form the top scoring line in the WHL next season with Peyton Krebs... I don’t know, he could be a real steal... already has size and skill

Defense is our top rock lines in Boqvist / Beaudin and Gilbert / Krys but we also have Ryczek and Moberg solidified in a 3rd line

And most importantly our big gun in net - Gravel. He is just 19 and already showing a ton.

This tournament make no mistake about it is full of NHL players... I’d bet 30-40 guys from these 8 teams play in the NHl this season... and it’s competitive from game 1 so games will really be intense!
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#36 » by Sinistar6 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:31 am

Classic GRADEN. I have recently become a hockey fan because I love the Chel (EA SPORTS). I would love to see you close out this post with a current analysis of the hawks draft and a breakdown of the draft. (How historic is Hughes and KK. Did Datch validate his draft position?

Props as always GRADEN.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk

Return to Chicago Blackhawks