Image Image Image Image

Inside the Crow's Nest

Moderator: TNBT

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Inside the Crow's Nest 

Post#1 » by GRADEN » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:59 am

With the addition of a new poster and some new brain things happening inside my head about our goalie I thought this would be a good time to collect our thoughts on Corey 'our Fn nuts off' Crawford.... Also side note.... If you didn't get that name joke you are banned for 1 week. Seriously though he was toasted on that speech it was great!

So as ADD is saying he is not in love with Crawford and his extension. I agree he is being paid for his Cup win in which he clearly kept us in most games and easily was our best player most series... 23 games, 1.84 and .932 and in tough tough playoff matches no less.... We can't deny him that at all and shouldn't as it was incredible... It does seem in his 4 playoff seasons he goes good bad good bad so hopefully it's good this year..

He has had 5 seasons as the man and after waiting patiently... And his second season was awful I know but beside that season he has been very good and sometimes great. Has this season been a little Jekyll and Hyde, absolutely but outside of that bad 2nd year here are his numbers.... 2.3, 1.94, 2.26, and 2.36 this year.... If u take out his 2.72 year he would be around 2.25 for a career and a .922 or thereabouts.... He is 2 months past 30 and still young. Is he elite top 5-8 goalie heck no but I wouldn't get rid of him at all.... The question is always who ya gonna get? Darling is exciting but far from a proven NHL thing...

IMHO goalies are a very important position as this is a sport that is often decided by the slimmest of margins... As important as a top line blue crew, a physical power forward, a two way captain, or an elite goal scorer...no but 6th I'd say in the hockey must haves...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: Inside the Crow's Nest 

Post#2 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 am

I'd move him if I could. Darling & Raanta are more than capable. And it's not exactly hard to find another quality goaltender. I appreciate what Crow has done but I'm sick of many people in Chicago treating him like he's Patrick Roy in his prime and snapping at you if you don't worship him (and yes, these are mostly newer fans. And overloving players happens too much in Chicago). I'd do it just for the cap number. Sell him while his value's high (and it's down this season). I think the Hawks roster can win with less in net. They seem to rely on Crow too much (Coach Q too). He's not good enough to make that much money when there are far more glaring needs going forward. I'd love to see Bowman make a big move either at the deadline or in the Summer. Especially after the Kane injury tonight.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Inside the Crow's Nest 

Post#3 » by GRADEN » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:36 pm

Oh and is it easy to pick up a good goaltender? Heck yea it's almost impossible. Darling and Raanta are still unknowns and most of the league is without what most would call a long term guy.... There aren't the Martys and Roy's of yesterday out there ya know. Even as good as Quick is he falls apart way too often... And yet has 2 cups. It's a complete crap shoot and these guys are ridiculously unpredictable.

I studied up a ton on Alexander Salak and was almost sure he'd be a stud NHL goalie.... Well 16 starts at Rockford and he wanted to go back home.... His heart just wasn't in America ya know. Fwiw he is an amazing goalie and was the Olympic goalie for the Czech team. They are all so unpredictable and unreliable so my thing is if u have even a good one u keep him.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#4 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Mar 2, 2015 11:34 pm

The cap spot could be spent much better is my main point. Crow's not good enough to make that much. Distribute the wealth.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Inside the Crow's Nest 

Post#5 » by GRADEN » Mon Mar 9, 2015 9:25 pm

Since this post....

Crawford from 2.36 to 2.23 GAA and now a .923 which are both 8th best in the league

Rinne, price, lundquist likely 3 best in league IMO but crow having a nice run here

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#6 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Mar 9, 2015 10:22 pm

That's exactly what Eddie O said on WGN radio and during the NBC SN broadcast. How Crawford has had a really nice run the last few weeks since the drubbing from the Bruins. Hopefully he's back to form and getting hot at the right time here. Not getting 2 points really sucked last night after his effort.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Inside the Crow's Nest 

Post#7 » by GRADEN » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Funny didn't know.... I have zero time to listen to them or watch an entire broadcast straight.... It's usually 60 mins ice time with little to no sound and lots of skips if play is a 3 goal difference.... Sad I know, but family time trumps all :)

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#8 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, Crow's getting the starts tomorrow at home against the Isles and then on the road the following night at the Rangers. At this point in the season, these are 2 of the biggest games. I'm really hoping he has 2 great efforts. The division is now in the cards. No one thought was possible 6 weeks ago.

edit: As you've seen now, Coach Q revised his plan and started Darling tonight. Who was incredible. Huge win for the Hawks.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks