Image Image Image Image

Kaner back in trouble?

Moderator: TNBT

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Kaner back in trouble? 

Post#41 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 5, 2015 5:55 pm

TNBT wrote:Has anyone heard anything new on this? It feels like we've heard nothing for a long time now... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/13576601/jonathan-toews-patrick-kane-situation-chicago-blackhawks-stay-together-team
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#42 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Sep 8, 2015 5:54 am

Well, it heads to a grand jury this week as prosecutors feel they have enough to charge Kane. Oh boy
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#43 » by TNBT » Tue Sep 8, 2015 1:34 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:Well, it heads to a grand jury this week as prosecutors feel they have enough to charge Kane. Oh boy

So they've officially decided to take it to a grand jury? Last I heard was that they were still deciding whether to or not.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#44 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Sep 8, 2015 5:50 pm

TNBT wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:Well, it heads to a grand jury this week as prosecutors feel they have enough to charge Kane. Oh boy

So they've officially decided to take it to a grand jury? Last I heard was that they were still deciding whether to or not.

It's going. Everyone there that night at Kane's house has been subpoenaed
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#45 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Sep 8, 2015 6:11 pm

Update at 1pm Chicago time from the buffalo news, the grand jury has been postponed but not cancelled
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#46 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Sep 8, 2015 10:29 pm

The reason for the delay appears to involve the possibility of ongoing settlement talks between attorneys for Kane and the alleged victim, two of the sources said.

This will never make it to court.. Sounds like the "pay to make it go away" is coming.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#47 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Sep 9, 2015 4:18 am

I guess that's good in the long run
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by TNBT » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 am

I was just reading an article in which a lawyer (unrelated to the actual case, I think) said that even if Kane reaches a settlement with the woman, he may still be charged with in a criminal court, but that any civil settlement would likely include a confidentiality clause, in which she wouldn't be able to cooperate with the prosecution and therefore it would be hard to make the charges stick.

On top of that, we're still likely looking at a decent suspension from the league, even if he's not found guilty.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#49 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:57 pm

Yes. And the grand jury is expected to reconvene in the next couple of weeks. So all the rumors of a settlement seem to be just that. Apparently, a couple of the people subpoenaed couldn't make it this week and that's the reason for the postponement.

Regardless, I don't think the Hawks will have Kane at camp and my guess if he doesn't go to jail, it's at least 20 games from the NHL. And just knowing how the Hawks operate with their image and being a "family organization", and Kane already being on thin ice from past trangsressions, unfortunately, he might be done as a Hawks no matter how good of a player he is.
GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Post#50 » by GRADEN » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Well they delayed the grand jury arguments and that was a nice time to try and get a settlement in but it seems it was just an evidence gathering delay etc.... So at this point I think trial will go forward with what ever that rape kit told the prosecutors being more than enough to get this far.... He was on the camp list today so who knows.....

I've been swamped, no time for Kane watch lately :)

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#51 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:05 am

GRADEN wrote:Well they delayed the grand jury arguments and that was a nice time to try and get a settlement in but it seems it was just an evidence gathering delay etc.... So at this point I think trial will go forward with what ever that rape kit told the prosecutors being more than enough to get this far.... He was on the camp list today so who knows.....

They had postponed it because a couple of the people they needed to give testimony weren't available. The Hawks have a presser tomorrow to field questions and Kane's agent has said "things will come out" and he believes his client is not guilty.

I still think this will be settled as the NHL and the Hawks are both quite irate over the possible crime and how long it's taken for a potential resolution. If he settles, sounds like a suspension is looming (if he's not in jail).
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#52 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:21 am

ADDinChicago wrote:
GRADEN wrote:Well they delayed the grand jury arguments and that was a nice time to try and get a settlement in but it seems it was just an evidence gathering delay etc.... So at this point I think trial will go forward with what ever that rape kit told the prosecutors being more than enough to get this far.... He was on the camp list today so who knows.....

They had postponed it because a couple of the people they needed to give testimony weren't available. The Hawks have a presser tomorrow to field questions and Kane's agent has said "things will come out" and he believes his client is not guilty.

I still think this will be settled as the NHL and the Hawks are both quite irate over the possible crime and how long it's taken for a potential resolution. If he settles, sounds like a suspension is looming (if he's not in jail).

Anyone watch the presser? I caught the highlights and see that Kaner is at camp and he took the mic at the presser. Said he knows he didn't do anything wrong and is confident that he will be absolved. The organization said (McDonogh) that they spoke the attorneys and Kaner's lawyers and felt the decision to have him in camp was the right one, despite the distractions it is causing.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#53 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:57 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:

Anyone watch the presser? I caught the highlights and see that Kaner is at camp and he took the mic at the presser. Said he knows he didn't do anything wrong and is confident that he will be absolved. The organization said (McDonogh) that they spoke the attorneys and Kaner's lawyers and felt the decision to have him in camp was the right one, despite the distractions it is causing.

Had they said anything else, it admits fault

I watched and it didn't really bring anything to light. It just tells me the Hawks (Wirtz, McDonough, Bowman & Blunk) either believe Kane and/or their own investigation find he won't be going to jail. If not, Kane would not be at camp.

The Hawks & NHL ran the presser and certain things were off limits to media. Neither side is happy about the negative attention Kane has brought on the team or league, right or wrong, because he again put himself in a poor situation. At 26 either he has to finally grow up or he's going to have a babysitter, curew, no alcohol policy, etc.

And I hope it's not the case, but some in the media are now speculating that this could all be a stunt by the Hawks to move him by showing the other teams he's at camp, training, etc. And basically they'd tell him to waive his no-movement clause or be suspended by the club. And this part I fully believe, the Hawks & Wirtz especially are extremely upset the Hawks have been put in a negative context because of Kane again.

At the end of the day, I think Kane plays for the Hawks, but until we hear either there will be no charges or he settles, etc. this all looms overhead. And even if he reaches a settlement (thus admitting at the least some wrong doing), he can still be charged by the prosecutor in Buffalo. Quite often cases like this are settled, but still go to trial because the alleged victim is not able to take the stand. Like I said, I think if the Hawks didn't believe him or find their own evidence to such, he wouldn't be at camp, so I hope this is a good sign.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by TNBT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:05 am

Just read that four sources close to the investigation have said that the DNA evidence taken from the genitals and underwear during the rape kit showed no signs of Kane's DNA. The sources said that Kane's DNA was found under her fingernails though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#55 » by ADDinChicago » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:14 am

So far the only news outlet running that is SportsMockery, so I'm reading it with bated breath for now.

IF it's true, DNA under the nails could have come from numerous places.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by TNBT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:31 am

I read it on Bleacher Report, so that makes two sources. Of course it depends on how much you trust them too. The Bleacher Report article was quoting four sources who spoke to The Buffalo News or something like that.

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Post#57 » by GRADEN » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Yea all the outlets are semi credible at best right now... But like ADD said IF true then the accuser just has a he said she said case....... Look if he rapped / had sex with her there would be DNA there..... So could be true that he simply put himself in a bad spot and this girl made up this thing... Who knows.

Also Kane's GF was at the cup party like a day or two later right? Well she must've believed whatever he said right? They still together?

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by TNBT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:41 am

I just read earlier that Coach Q is expecting Kane to play in the preseason games, so that must be a good sign. If the club or the NHL had found anything troubling in their own investigations, I doubt Kane would have been wanted in camp and preseason. To me, it's a sign that they think he's most likely innocent, based on what they've found out for themselves.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#59 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 am

The NHLPA would have had a field day if Kane was barred from camp/preseason games without charges as well. I think people forget that. I'm in the camp where I think the Hawks with their own investigating believe him. But we'll never know. At the end of the day, it would have become more of a circus if they asked him to stay home and/or didn't play him during the preseason. Until charged, he has the right to collect on his deal and play in the eyes of the players association. This wasn't like the Slava Voynov situation last season where there was clear evidence and pending charges that the Kings/NHL knew were coming.

Like I said before, and I don't think it's the case, but the Hawks could also just be showing the rest of the league that Kane is ready for the season.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#60 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:16 am

Well, something weird is going on in Buffalo. The accuser's lawyer today had a "press conference" saying how the rape kit open was left on her mother's doorstep. Yet the police dept. says they have all the evidence collected.

They found 2 samples in her vaginal area, neither are Kane's. This is a freaking Mickey Mouse Soap Opera sideshow of idiocy.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks