Image Image Image Image

Final Draft Rankings: Latest Rumors

Moderator: TNBT

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Final Draft Rankings: Latest Rumors 

Post#1 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 8, 2021 7:17 am

1. LW William Eklund - Welcome to the Luka Doncic NHL draft. Oh so this young player overseas just had the highest scoring season for a teenager ever? Played against grown professionals? But it’s not in America and we have a 7ft tall kid that played US college…. Ummm yep this is the same scenario. Eklund reminds me of Aho… smooth, effortless looking playmaker. 2 way guy? No, not really but dang he is in on every play. He is also a firepit of competitive desire. He stands up for teammates, gets into scraps, and is all emotion and passion. Unlike Aho, he may be a LW though as he doesn’t have a full 200ft game yet. Still, you put up 23pts in 40 games from mostly a 3rd line role against pro competition in the SHL? How is he not the #1 prospect? (Sebastian Aho)

2. D Owen Power - 6’6 D men that can skate and control a PP like Power don’t come around often. He also took an 0-3 team Canada on his shoulders to come back to win gold. He will be a top pairing steady Dman but in no way should he be compared to Hedman. I like him in that Aaron Ekblad / Seth Jones comparison more. (Aaron Ekblad)

3. D Brandt Clarke - Wow, what a player. Size, skill, and competitive demeanor. Decided to take it upon himself to play when season was canceled. More than held his own against good veterans in Slovakia. Has all the tools to be an outstanding lead blue line force in the NHL. (Drew Doughty)

4. RW Dylan Guenther - Max Pacioretty 2.0? Guenther has great size, a physical nature, and a scorers edge to him. 2pts a game in a more defensive western league too. He is going to be lethal from that right dot within 2 seasons. This may be one of the safer picks in the top 10 and thusly I rank him this high. (Max Pacioretty)

5. C Matty Beniers - Boring? No, not at all! Beniers is a legit top line 2-way center. He is an all out worker bee on the ice; checking, board battles, possession, playmaker, defender. Not flashy at all, but dependable and with an extremely high floor I can’t see any team not being thrilled to add him. (Ryan Johansen)

6. RW Mason McTavish - Those top 5 guys for me is where the guarantees end. McTavish is a talent when it comes to the rush. He scores, doesn’t get knocked off the puck, and is all out when in possession. I love his upside when it comes to goal scoring. I’d say it’s 60/40 he ends up as a RW but can play C. He needs to work on his checking, angles, and dot play however. He has a great edge to him and would slot well into a top 6 role early on as well. (Phil Kessel lite, less shot angle skill but same type of role)

7. D Carson Lambos - Slightly injured / rarely seen… and yet, it’s my opinion that he is a top 4 cant mix prospect. He has size, ability, and a physical nature to his game. Lambos is a puck mover and likely not a huge point guy but he is reliable and has a very high blue line IQ already. (Healthy, better skating Calvin De Haan)

8. D Luke Hughes - Super skilled, amazing skater, and strong bloodlines make him a top 3 talent. However, I see an over confident, turnover prone, very young prospect. He is a year younger than most and although his potential is as an offensively elite player I worry about the give aways and read/recognition development right now. (Shea Theodore)

9. C Fedor Svechkov - The darkhorse of this draft to have the most wins of any player. Svechkov is a true shut down top line center. I don’t know if he’ll ever have 20 goals in a season but he will lock down a teams best player while also keeping the offense going in cycle. I think he is a lock for the top 15 and I think there is an outside chance he could go 5-9 area. If I were a team looking for a dependable #2 center that could be a #1 forward on the PK then I’d squarely look at Svechkov. (Mickael Backlund)

10. C Kent Johnson - Glitz and glame are all over his game. That’s not to say he isn’t a responsible player because he is. I think his game is very exciting and certainly is on trend with the Zegras, Barzal, Kane, Gaudreau line of puck handling. He is slight of frame, can get knocked off his line, and isn’t too experienced in board battles though. Still, if his puck handling skills are that elite then those all-stars don’t check and battle either…. So question is; worth a top 10 pick for that one skill? To me it’s a matter of your future roster makeup… do you have the wings, the defensive center to pair with Kent that are around same ages? If so, then take him 7-13 range. (Elias Petterson lite, not as dynamic or strong on contact)

11. G Jesper Wallstedt - I believe a lot is made of Wallstedts positioning within his country. He is well regarded and has shown the ability to be a workhorse at an early age. It’s his projection as a solid starter right now that makes him a safe pick and yet I wouldn’t think he is really a top 10 selection. I like him 11/20 range but mainly because I do see him as a starter in the NHL quicker than most goalies. Still, whereas Cossa has massive potential, I think Wallstedt doesn’t have that ceiling that Askarov / Cossa / Demko have shown.

12. C Xavier Bourgault - A center that is balanced and has a great absolute drive about his play. North south player that will make the right decision. Very much a center and can lead a rush with confidence. Projects as a great option for a top 6 role quickly. Should be an NHL player in 1 year.

13. D Simon Edvinsson - Top 5 pick? Way too risky for me! Top 10? Better have a heck of a development team ready! Take him 11-16? Sure, but he needs patience. Honestly if it weren’t for his size and effortless skating then I think he wouldn’t be a 1st rounder at all because those are his 2 skills. He is a giveaway waiting to happen, not sure on activation vs hold the line yet at all. Chases the puck, doesn’t play the player even though has the size. Looks the part and skates so well for 6’4 220… that it’s hard to pass up for some.

14. LW Zachary L’Heareax - Relentless and annoying to play against. He is that Andrew Shaw, Brendan Gallagher type that you need to get some dirty goals and hard nosed stops. Sure, he isn’t going to be a high end scorer and there are better names out there…. However, I know exactly what he’ll bring every single night and for me that’s worth a pick in that 13-21 range.

15. C Cole Sillinger - Size, bloodlines, and potential with Sillinger. Definitely a center and I’m not sure wing will ever be an option ala Dylan Strome. Left shot, looks to score on rush. Could be a RW but plays better in between hence I say may never adapt to a wing spot. Looks like a solid middle 6 center that shows a little more O than D at times. I think he’ll be a good NHLer but nothing that stands out. Most likely a nice 300-400 point career.

16. G Sebastian Cossa - Here he is, the most interesting prospect in the draft. A 6’6 behemoth with eye popping stats so far… but it’s a small sample size. He doesn’t leave his positioning and is tremendously calm. He could be an upper echelon goalie or maybe a solid starter but I think he is worth the gamble in the 13-19 range.

17. D Evan Nause - 2nd rounder to most, but I trust Nause way more than some bigger names. This is a reliable Canadian defender that should play major ice time early in his career.

18. RW Isak Rosen - Another one of these fringe 1st rounders to some. For me, he is clearly in the 17-25 range. Very skilled with the puck and able to get off difficult shots. He is on the fast track in the SHL to becoming a featured wing this season too. Pretty safe bet he will be an NHL player quickly.

19. D Danil Chayka - Big bodied, experienced D man that projects as a 2nd pairing guy. Offensively a little behind, but good playing his line in the defensive zone.

20. RW Fabian Lysell - Too rich for me if he goes top 12 to be honest. From what I’ve gathered I think it resembles an understated Noel Gunler type of guy…. Where maybe he doesn’t mesh with a team as well. In terms of skating and aggression he is an A rated wing… however he still needs work and a lot of it will depend on his attitude towards listening.

21. C Zachary Buldoc - Really solid middle 6 center prospect… could well be a Travis Zajac which in the late 1st would be a huge coup. I really like Buldoc and see him as a very safe pick in the 20s to early 30s for a team

22. LW Aatu Raty - The once unquestioned #1 player has been hard on himself. He over trained and over worked his body and mind for 2 seasons. He is where he should be, but his role wasn’t where he thought both nationally or in the top liga. Raty (Rot-TU) is very good with the puck and I like him in an underdog role in the NHL as I think he’ll take on the challenge. A true wildcard as I could see him going 10,20,30, maybe even 40.

23. C Samu Tuomaala - Sniper from the dot on the PP is what Samu offers. He is sort of a one trick pony, but dang that one trick is really developed.

24. LW Logan Stankoven - The next in line of the over-looked sized wings ala Caulfield, DeBrincat, and Tyler Johnson. Stankoven has all the skills needed to be a top 9 wing right away. I love his game and think he will be a nice scoring 3rd line wing within 2 years.

25. LW Brennan Othmann - I debated him for a 2nd round grade but I kept coming back to how physical he was and his competitor motor. He projects as an annoying middle 6 wing that is physical and can hold the puck.

26. RW Simon Robertson - Great cycling wing with strength and a good heavy shot. Pretty safe selection late in first with definite NHL future but not a big top 6 projection. I like his tenacity around the net and keeping possession. Could be a tough Swede to knock off the puck .

27. C Matt Coronato - Historically good goal scorer at the USHL level… but I do have concerns…. Going to be a slow maturation process as he is likely for 3-4 years at Harvard and ELC in question of signing. A bit smaller for a center but really looks more center than wing although I’m sure teams only see him as a RW. Tempting player in the teens, just a risky pick.

28. RW Nikita Chibrikov - Leader on the team, makes the correct plays when asked. Not a lot to pick apart in his game. Size is below average, shot is ok, not a dangler at all. Seems to be a player that is just going to be a solid NHL player on both ends and someone that is a positive on and off the ice. Potential isn’t up there that high but his floor is good 4th like whole ceiling is 3rd line playmaker.

29. C Chaz Lucious - Slightly built with good high end skills… but inconsistent on his decisions. I think any team taking him inside the 20 is taking too much of a gamble. I think his worth is in the 25-40 range.

30. C Samu Salminen - Really good sized versatile euro skater. Will be a team guy and develop where it’s needed. Pretty safe middle 6 type and has good value in the 30-42 range.

31. RW Sasha Pastujov - This is the long game if you take him. I’d guess a minimum of 3 years in South Bend for him to develop. Could become a reliable top 9 RW but I think it’s a least 4-5 seasons away.

32. C Zach Dean - Great IQ and awareness, not the high end speed and skill in order to be taken top half of 1st however. I think his ultimate spot will be as a bottom 6 C that can adapt to a coaches needs. Has value in that 30-50 range.

Commonly over-rated players best drafted in the 2nd round.

1. Corson Ceulemans
2. Ben Gaudreau
3. Oskar Olausson

All 3 players will be nice players, but in no way should they be considered top talents. Ceulemans really worries me for any team considering making him a top 20 selection.

If I were GM of the lottery teams I’d draft like this:

1. Sabres - LW Eklund
2. Kraken - D Power
3. Ducks - C Beniers
4. Devils - D Hughes
5. Jackets - D Clarke
6. Red Wings - LW Guenther
7. Sharks - D Lambos
8. Kings - G Wallstedt
9. Canucks - LW McTavish
10. Sens - C Svechkov
11. Hawks - C Johnson
12. Flames - C Bourgault
13. Flyers - D Edvinsson
14. Stars - C Sillinger
15. Rangers - C Coronato
GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Re: Final Draft Rankings: Latest Rumors 

Post#2 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 8, 2021 7:22 am

Latest Rumors:

Duncan Keith initiated a trade request to a team closer to his son Colton. That would be Vancouver, EDM, Seattle, or Calgary. Edmonton has emerged as the likely spot with a deal sounding like D Caleb Jones, a mid round pick, a filler prospect and the Hawks retaining 1-1.5m of salary.

This states that the Hawks are in preference of Seth Jones in a trade that would likely cost a package headlined by 1 of our D prospects and our #11 pick.

I’d guess it’s Ian Mitchell and #11 and salary filler for Jones.

Personally I think committing to a huge deal like this is risky given our unsure position with competing.

I mean if Toews is 100 and Dach is ready for 2C then maybe, otherwise that’s a big commitment.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks