ImageImageImageImage

A Record Season

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

User avatar
Rodya
Starter
Posts: 2,203
And1: 16
Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Location: AKA: Russian Lightning

A Record Season 

Post#1 » by Rodya » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 pm

The Red-Wings, as of today, hold the record for most consecutive home wins with 23. How have we not discussed this? Also, can we talk about Ian White? The guy has been sensational thus far this season.
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#2 » by TSE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:19 am

Great streak indeed, but our season has been disappointing that we aren't a dominant team. I still think that Defense and youth and being too diluted in talent is holding us back from being truly special. Same complaints I've had for several years now. Ian White is doing very good statistically this year compared to the rest of his career, but I think he is an outlier of statistical luck in that regard and he just doesn't seem that good to me. I just don't think he's good enough to help us be a top team and we need to find some premier Defensemen. Lidstrom can't play forever and we still are a long ways away from having a quality set of Defenders for the future and I don't think we can really do much until we start addressing our top weaknesses and developing a true gameplan for ascending to the top.

I think the top weaknesses on the team stem from the lack of quality defensemen. Statistically we are fine in pretty much every category, but we are ways away from being the #1 team overall. We should be scoring a handful more goals AND giving up less, and I think that comes from the D-players not creating enough high percentage offensive opportunities, we are missing some, and some of the goals we give up are really, really ugly goals. We do so well in other areas to mask those deficiencies, but we just don't have the size and toughness and skill at the D-position to create the right type of efficient flow on both ends. That's just what I see when I watch the games and it's been my #1 complaint in every season that we haven't won, that's it. We are too deep in mediocrity and just need to make a couple of key changes in the roster build and we could dominate the hell out of the rest of the league.

Guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going to be able to play forever and we are squandering the opportunity to do special things by not maximizing this era of an opportunity. It's ALL the GM's fault, the coach can't do anything and the players are doing the best they can, but we don't have the right ASSEMBLY.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 63,737
And1: 8,455
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: A Record Season 

Post#3 » by Manocad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:02 pm

TSE wrote:Great streak indeed, but our season has been disappointing that we aren't a dominant team.

Disappointing for you. I didn't expect Howard to be as good as he's been so the team is ahead of where I expected them to be this year.
Image
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#4 » by TSE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 am

You disappointed yet? How about after that play where 3 of our men plus our goalie abandoned everything for one guy to leave the net wide open.

Or how about our dumbass coach that can't figure out that a 2 man advantage by pulling your goalie with 5 minutes left is the statistically optimal thing to do?

We have an incredibly incompetent GM and a very stupid coach, thus we lost to a better team tonight that isn't even that special. So glad we paid Lidstrom all that money so that we could put this crapfest on display. This team shouldn't even bother to make the trip back to Nashville. Garbage belongs in a dumpster, not on an airplane.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 63,737
And1: 8,455
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: A Record Season 

Post#5 » by Manocad » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 am

I'm disappointed that you still post here, yes.
Image
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#6 » by TSE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 am

Manocad wrote:I'm disappointed that you still post here, yes.


Your comment doesn't make any sense. You say "yes" like you are answering my question, but my question was connected to the notion of being disappointed in the season to which you didn't offer a response, therefore your post is nonsensical as to why you conclude with "yes" like as if you are supplying an answer when in fact you haven't. Weird.

But not as weird as trading a first round pick for a crappy player like Quincey. WTF man Ken Holland is a real prick.
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#7 » by TSE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:31 am

4 seconds left, c'mon draw it back to Quincey for the final shot, he can really do it!!

EDIT: Better luck next time boys. More power to you all that somehow enjoyed this team and this season. The Red Wings suck almost as bad as Little Caesar's pizza.
User avatar
trwi7
RealGM
Posts: 108,563
And1: 23,072
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: Aussie bias
         

Re: A Record Season 

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 pm

TSE wrote:Or how about our dumbass coach that can't figure out that a 2 man advantage by pulling your goalie with 5 minutes left is the statistically optimal thing to do?


No it's not. :lol:

Everytime Nashville would touch the puck they would just send it towards the open net without worrying about icing. If they miss wide there isn't a goalie to skate above the red line to stop it and quickly send it back. If a defenseman mishandles a pass at the blue line it could lead to a breakaway at an open net.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."


I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#9 » by TSE » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

That's not a complete and proper analysis of why it's better to pull the goalie for the 2 man advantage. You supplied nothing but 2 subjective sentences of commentary that I actually agree with are true so we are in agreement there, but the value of those sentences isn't sizable enough as a counter-argument. You think like NHL GMs and coaches do as they all fail to understand end of game hockey strategy in terms of the optimal time to pull the goalie when down by a goal as well as cases like this when there's also a PP involved. 99% of all hockey fans and enthusiasts get this question wrong as they don't bother to break it down with proper logical analysis.

So to end as you started, yes it is. :lol:
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,160
And1: 85
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Re: A Record Season 

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

If someone wants to reasonably chat about what changes the Wings should make, I'll be happy to join. Until then, I'll stay away from the theory that having your goalie pulled for 5 mins is a sound strategy.
Sheeeeed
Starter
Posts: 2,025
And1: 223
Joined: May 30, 2011
       

Re: A Record Season 

Post#11 » by Sheeeeed » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am

It seems Babcock has put Holland on spot after some comments he made after the loss. Babcock has been complaining about the direction of the team for the last couple of seasons, Its obvious Babcock and Holland has two different views of what teams should be.
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#12 » by TSE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 am

I don't have that high of an opinion of what Babcock thinks but anybody associated with the organization that dissents with Holland is a good thing. He's a despicably poor GM.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 63,737
And1: 8,455
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: A Record Season 

Post#13 » by Manocad » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:07 pm

TSE wrote:
Manocad wrote:I'm disappointed that you still post here, yes.


Your comment doesn't make any sense. You say "yes" like you are answering my question, but my question was connected to the notion of being disappointed in the season to which you didn't offer a response, therefore your post is nonsensical as to why you conclude with "yes" like as if you are supplying an answer when in fact you haven't. Weird.

My answer makes complete sense. You just don't like it.

Calling Ken Holland a "despicably poor GM"...talk about nonsensical. Certainly one can claim that he's made some bad moves but despicably poor GM's don't win four Stanley Cups in twelve years. He is without a doubt one of the most highly respected GM's in the NHL.

Obviously your shtick is to s**t all over every Detroit team and that's fine, but statements like "Ken Holland is a despicably poor GM" will guarantee that you won't be taken seriously.
TSE
Banned User
Posts: 3,405
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Detroit

Re: A Record Season 

Post#14 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Wrong, I didn't like it or dislike it. That's a fact. And it surely was nonsensical, read my comments again and maybe you'll get it next time. Or ask for somebody's help if you have trouble with the English language.

Not interested in being taken seriously or not seriously just because of one statement about an overall conclusion about any GM. I have listed many reasons as a foundation for it and I have many more, and anybody that wants to participate with me in a qualified fashion to learn more about my opinions is welcome to do so to then be in a position to properly determine if they should take me seriously or not. And that's fine if you think a certain time period and number of Cup wins is an automatic qualifier for having done a good job, that's your opinion. My opinion is that he has been consistently terrible including during that time. My grandmother or any grandmother could have managed this team during that time frame and possibly have won that many cups, not even by being a brilliant mind, but by random statistical chance. It is possible even if unlikely. If she would have won some Stanley Cups then you would be defending her right now as some sort of hockey guru when she doesn't have a clue.

By your logic you could anoint every winner of the lottery as some brilliant number picker. There may be no science to picking the right random number sequences, but as long as the odds are great and a win comes about, you don't require anything else, so by your estimation they did a good job of picking numbers. Congrats to Holland for picking Datsyuk and Zetterberg, he was so smart to know they were going to be stars. If he knew how good they were then why did he wait until so long to draft them? Good picks, but he wasn't sure what he was drafting and if he truly knew what he was doing then why did he bomb out on almost every single draft pick since then? He sucks at picking players and managing a team is the answer.

And I'm a Detroit fan and a huge sports fan and I spend my time following and chatting about this team in particular. It's not my fault that by coincidence we happen to have 4 unusually terrible GMs for each of our 4 teams right now. If we had one great one then I would be applauding the great one and still bashing the losers of the other 3. I'm fair and I give credit where credit is do and I never give anybody a hard time that is a worthy and respectable professional in what they do even if they aren't the very best in the world. Not everybody can be #1 in their craft out of 6 billion people, and I'm willing to be happy and satisfied with anybody that generally does what they are supposed to do above minimal respectable standards, and our 4 GMs have all performed miserably overall from day 1 to present day. If anything I'm nicer than I should be when critiquing these guys because I generally don't want to discourage other fans from trying to remain positive and many times I compliment these crap GMs for occasional good transactions that they make to just try and be generally hopeful. You can even find another poster on this site's sig line that says "great job Mayhew", and I complemented him again for some of the good draft picks of value like Ronnell and Travis Lewis from just this past weekend. I still think he's a crap GM though despite giving credit for stuff that does make sense.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,160
And1: 85
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Re: A Record Season 

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Tue May 1, 2012 12:22 am

Manocad wrote:
TSE wrote:
Manocad wrote:I'm disappointed that you still post here, yes.


Your comment doesn't make any sense. You say "yes" like you are answering my question, but my question was connected to the notion of being disappointed in the season to which you didn't offer a response, therefore your post is nonsensical as to why you conclude with "yes" like as if you are supplying an answer when in fact you haven't. Weird.

My answer makes complete sense. You just don't like it.

Calling Ken Holland a "despicably poor GM"...talk about nonsensical. Certainly one can claim that he's made some bad moves but despicably poor GM's don't win four Stanley Cups in twelve years. He is without a doubt one of the most highly respected GM's in the NHL.

Obviously your shtick is to s**t all over every Detroit team and that's fine, but statements like "Ken Holland is a despicably poor GM" will guarantee that you won't be taken seriously.


I learned long ago to just let TSE be. Everyone knows Ken Holland is one of the best in the business. There does need to be some changes to the team, which I'd be happy to talk to you or others about, but I wouldn't spend time arguing about whether TSE's grandmother could have won Stanley Cups as our GM if I were you.

Again, anyone who wants to chat about what roster changes to make, prospect analysis, anything Wings related...I'll be here. I'm going to try and ignore the silly stuff though.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 63,737
And1: 8,455
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: A Record Season 

Post#16 » by Manocad » Tue May 1, 2012 2:53 am

TSE wrote:Wrong, I didn't like it or dislike it. That's a fact. And it surely was nonsensical, read my comments again and maybe you'll get it next time. Or ask for somebody's help if you have trouble with the English language.

No, it wasn't nonsensical. You just don't get it. Similarly to how you identify yourself as being a better GM than anyone running the current Detroit teams yet you don't have a job as a GM. You don't get it.
Image

Return to Detroit Red Wings