Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,303

RIP Mr. Hockey 

Post#1 » by Bank Shot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:06 am

Sad day :cry:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/gordie-howe-1.3628425

Well before my time but as a Wings fan, he was my favorite legend. His autobiography is a very good read if anyone wants to learn more about him.

RIP Gordie.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Re: RIP Mr. Hockey 

Post#2 » by yellowknifer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:05 am

He was a great baseball player as well. My dad saw him playing in a semi pro game in Yarmouth one year and he hit a home run every at bat. Apparently the Tigers wanted to sign him at one point in his career but he stuck with hockey.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 am

yellowknifer wrote:He was a great baseball player as well. My dad saw him playing in a semi pro game in Yarmouth one year and he hit a home run every at bat. Apparently the Tigers wanted to sign him at one point in his career but he stuck with hockey.

I think that was the best move for him to be honest. He was a game changer for The NHL, he was just everything you wanted from a hockey player. Big, strong, fearless, good skater, goal scoring machine and put up a ton of points. Off the ice he was one of the nicest guys out there. He will be missed for sure being a Wings fan I am spoiled to watch a lot of greats play like Yzerman, Shanahan, Federov, Lidstrom, Coffey, Hasek, Hull, Robitaille and countless others. Think Gordie is up above playing with all the greats we lost and every time I am going to hear thunder from now on it's either Gordie Howe putting some into the boards or his shot hitting the boards.

RIP Mr. Hockey you will be missed
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:40 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:He was a great baseball player as well. My dad saw him playing in a semi pro game in Yarmouth one year and he hit a home run every at bat. Apparently the Tigers wanted to sign him at one point in his career but he stuck with hockey.

I think that was the best move for him to be honest. He was a game changer for The NHL, he was just everything you wanted from a hockey player. Big, strong, fearless, good skater, goal scoring machine and put up a ton of points. Off the ice he was one of the nicest guys out there. He will be missed for sure being a Wings fan I am spoiled to watch a lot of greats play like Yzerman, Shanahan, Federov, Lidstrom, Coffey, Hasek, Hull, Robitaille and countless others. Think Gordie is up above playing with all the greats we lost and every time I am going to hear thunder from now on it's either Gordie Howe putting some into the boards or his shot hitting the boards.

RIP Mr. Hockey you will be missed

I love this post as it says everything I would want to say about Howe. I’m a Chicago fan in all sports because I’ve been a diehard Bulls fan since I was a toddler, but I’m also a Red Wings fan when it comes to hockey. I don’t often check out other teams boards except the one I moderate (Blackhawks) because they’re so quiet, but I just loved this post and wanted to commend you on it.

Return to Detroit Red Wings