ImageImageImageImage

Red Wings Vs. Penguins - Cup Finals (Pitt wins 4-3)

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,599

Red Wings Vs. Penguins - Cup Finals (Pitt wins 4-3) 

Post#1 » by Bank Shot » Thu May 28, 2009 2:34 am

Red Wings Vs. Penguins

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Penguins Win 4-3

1 Pittsburgh 1 Detroit 3
2 Pittsburgh 1 Detroit 3
3 Detroit 2 Pittsburgh 4
4 Detroit 2 Pittsburgh 4
5 Pittsburgh 0 Detroit 5
6 Detroit 1 Pittsburgh 2
7 Pittsburgh 2 Detroit 1

Season Series:

Nov. 11 Pittsburgh 7, Detroit 6 (OT)
Feb. 8 Detroit 3, Pittsburgh 0

Go Wings!!!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,800

Re: Red Wings Vs. Penguins - Cup Finals 

Post#2 » by Cowology » Thu May 28, 2009 2:55 am

woohoo!

Imo hockey is MUCH better experienced live, as opposed to seen on TV...but there are few things more exciting in sports than sudden death OT in the NHL. That Blackhawks series really got me pumped up - can't wait for the Pens.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#3 » by Liqourish » Thu May 28, 2009 3:04 am

REMATCH!!!

:rockon:
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#4 » by Bank Shot » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Well we got jobbed scheduling wise. Its funny that if we finished off the Hawks in 7 instead of 5 we might have gotten more time off. The back-to-back is just plain dumb.

Lidstrom will be back for game one, Dats is a game time decision, and no one is sure about Ericsson and Draper. We really need Dats back, especially on the PK which has been pretty horrible throughout the playoffs. Even when we get Dats back we've got to stay out of the box against these guys, they've got lots of firepower but like every other team in the league they can't match our depth. I'm predicting a big series from Osgood (he's my Conn Smythe pick if we win). He's been getting better throughout the playoffs and was awesome against the Hawks. Assuming we're relatively healthy, I think we've got a sizable advantage on D, as I really can't see anyone on their D line stopping our forwards consistently. Pittsburgh has played 2 teams that are heavily dependent on one player (Ovechkin and Ward), so they haven't seen anyone who is even remotely close to being on our level or has a comparable style while we've played a team (Chicago), that I feel is comparable to them. The Penguins better be ready for a big step-up in pace and skill in game 1.

I think our depth carries us. Just like last year...Wings in 6.

Go Wings!!!
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#5 » by Bank Shot » Fri May 29, 2009 7:38 pm

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf ... _eric.html

Lidstrom and Ericsson officially playing in game 1. Also Lilja has started practicing. I'd be surprised to see him in this series but ya never know.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#6 » by Liqourish » Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 am

I'm torn.... I want Dats to play, but if he's not close to 80%, it would be better to keep him out another game or two. Glad Lidstrom and Ericsson will be back. We need to attack Pitt early and often. Get Sid and Malk off their momentum.

Do we know if Draper will play?
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#7 » by Bank Shot » Sat May 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Liqourish wrote:I'm torn.... I want Dats to play, but if he's not close to 80%, it would be better to keep him out another game or two. Glad Lidstrom and Ericsson will be back. We need to attack Pitt early and often. Get Sid and Malk off their momentum.

Do we know if Draper will play?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424331

No Draper or Dats for game 1 :-?

And I agree with you about keeping Dats out if he's not ready to go. I think Zetterberg can pick up the slack.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#8 » by Liqourish » Sun May 31, 2009 10:31 am

Wings take game 1 and no posts? wow...

Despite ESPN "experts" that are trying to find excuses for the Pens, the Wings took care of business just like they do. Osgood is the best goalie in this series, Pens defense even allows our 4th line rookies to score, and our guys are already getting into Crosby's head. People can talk up our injuries, downplay our experience, and slobber all over Sid and Malk.... but this cup is Detroits and they showed everyone why last night.

Let's get going with game two... GO WINGS!!!!
Bank Shot
RealGM

Re: Red Wings Vs. Penguins - Cup Finals (Wings Lead 1-0) 

Post#9 » by Bank Shot » Sun May 31, 2009 4:14 pm

^^^Well personally I got trashed in celebration of the W, so I've got an excuse haha

I'm right there with you on the shoving up the "experts" ***. We just came off a series where we slowed down Toews and completely shut down Kane, I don't know why the heck they would expect Crosby and/or Malkin to shred us. They talk about how the Pens are better, which is true with their forwards but they conveniently forgot that Fleury has been trash compared to last year. He was the reason they were able to stretch it to 6 last year, they don't have a chance unless he steps it up big time.

Its time to give Osgood his due. He's been the best goalie in the playoffs and completely changed the game last night with his stop on Malkin. I keep hearing all the "experts" claim that they'd rather have Fleury because he is more skilled. I don't know what skilled means but I'll take the guy who's better at keeping the puck out of his net...Ozzie.

Great start, we're not home yet but if we win tonight, I think the Pen's will be done mentally.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#10 » by Liqourish » Sun May 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Definitely agree.... I can't see them winning 4 out of 5 if the Wings take the game tonight. Crosbys already trying to get Maltby and Zetterberg out of his head. If they abuse him tonight and he's still timid, it's over.

BTW, being trashed in celebration (or trashed for any reason really) is a perfectly good excuse for not posting!!
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,209

Post#11 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jun 1, 2009 1:40 am

2-1 Wings w00t! Lets kill those bums :lol:

LETS GO WINGS!!! Ozzie is incredible best Wings goalie since Sawchuck (sp)
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#12 » by Bank Shot » Mon Jun 1, 2009 2:57 am

You mad Malkin? He's almost as dumb as he looks. Nice job starting a fight in the last 5 minutes. We'll see if the league bails him out.

Someone forgot to tell the Wings that the Pens are better this year...
Bank Shot
RealGM

Re: Red Wings Vs. Penguins - Cup Finals (Wings Lead 2-0) 

Post#13 » by Bank Shot » Mon Jun 1, 2009 4:35 am

Teams in the Cup Finals who won the first two games are a combined 31-1. But the Pens aren't in trouble, right Pierre?

No suspension for Malkin, but right now its not looking like its going to matter. We're skilled but we can grind, and the grinding is paying off in this series. Abdelkader again!!! Some teams struggle to go 3 lines deep, if we were allowed we could probably go 6 deep.

Great effort and great job Hank of going right back at Malkin when Malkin went at him. I've definately never seen that side of him before but great job backing up Ozzie. Game 3 will probably be the toughest game of the series to win, but we've got a good shot. Hopefully Dats can come back, so we can make Malkin copy Crosby's disappearing act. Great job by Hossa thus far too. Although he hasn't scored, he's been dangerous and he's been very, very good on the back check.

2 more!
Zabriskie
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Zabriskie » Mon Jun 1, 2009 10:43 am

Hi,

Any news on Datsyuk? Will he play in G3?

Go RW!
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#15 » by Liqourish » Mon Jun 1, 2009 5:06 pm

Well the series is basically over. No way Pens win 4 of 5. They could and probably will win game 3, but I see Wings splitting in Pitt and winning it all in game 5 at home. Malkin and Crosby are being exposed, especially with their attempts to show up the Wings after the games have been decided. Too bad they can't do anything when it counts. Hell, even Malkins goal in game 2 was slapped in by Stuart. They are done.
pistons_own
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#16 » by pistons_own » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:04 am

can u say another stanley cup?
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bank Shot » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:55 am

Zabriskie wrote:Hi,

Any news on Datsyuk? Will he play in G3?

Go RW!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424547

No Dats unfortunately.
Draper's healthy but might not play because Babcock doesn't want to mess with a winning lineup.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#18 » by Liqourish » Tue Jun 2, 2009 8:10 pm

Game 3 tonight. I think the Pens have a chance, but I don't see them dominating. I see more Crosby/Malkin sulking when they can't do anything against Zetterberg/Lidstrom, but I think the refs will favor them at home. The league doesn't want to see their poster boys swept.
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#19 » by Bank Shot » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:28 am

Man, Crosby has no idea what he's doing on D. That's the difference between the two teams. Our big guns know how to play in both zones while theirs don't. Nice patience by Zetterberg on that goal.
Good answer boys.
Bank Shot
RealGM

Post#20 » by Bank Shot » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:38 am

MULE!

The crowd is awfully quiet right now...

Return to Detroit Red Wings