Ryan Smyth's back

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Ryan Smyth's back 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369517

Could Ryan Smyth be returning to the Edmonton Oilers in order to finish his career with the team that selected him in the first round of the 1994 entry draft?

A deal certainly isn't imminent and won't necessarily be an easy transaction for either the Los Angeles Kings or Oilers to close, but sources tell TSN the 35-year-old left winger has indicated to the Kings his preference would be to play next season in Edmonton if a trade can be worked out.

As much as the potential return of Smyth, a.k.a. Captain Canada, to Edmonton might warm the hearts of sentimentalists who so closely identify the mop-haired veteran with the Oiler franchise, there are some practical reasons why it won't be an easy deal to facilitate and there's no guarantee it will happen at all.

I'd love to see him back in an Oilers uni, one of favorite players of all time. And he'd be a great guy to have around our young players.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Ryan Smyth's back 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:55 pm

The deal is apparently done and we're sending Brule and a 4th rounder this year to LA. I love the deal a lot. Smitty going to give us that presence in front of the net that we really need and he's going to be a perfect mentor for our young players.

Welcome home Ryan!!!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Brule didn't pass the physical so the deal is now Colin Fraser and a 7th rounder.
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#4 » by j127 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 am

Sorry that you`re the only one in this forum.

I really love what Edmonton is doing. I`m really pulling for their success. I admit I haven`t been following them recently, but I fell in love with the team under MacTavish and the rivalry with Dallas in the 90s and 2000s.

Hoping the Oilers can be a powerhouse once again.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 pm

^
Lol there used to be a few other Oilers fan on here but they disapeared.

I really like the direction we're going in right now. We have a great core of young talent and bringing Smyth back is going to be huge. We're really going to need his leadership and he'll be a great mentor for our younger players.
Aimless Outlook
Senior
And1: 42

Post#6 » by Aimless Outlook » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I love that Smyth is back. It was a terrible day when they traded him, and it never should have happened.

Also, I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw that he was almost traded to Calgary a day or two before getting traded back to Edmonton.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:46 am

^
Ya the last place I wanted to see him go was Calgary.

Return to Edmonton Oilers