The Annual "What about Rob Schremp?" Thread

RoboNerd
Ballboy
And1: 0

The Annual "What about Rob Schremp?" Thread 

Post#1 » by RoboNerd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, once again, Rob Schremp did not make the cut for the team. This time, however, he was the last to be sent down to the AHL. Does this mean he's the first for a call-up in the event of an injury? From his pre-season performance, do we think Rob Schremp is finally ready for the prime time?

Schremp impressed many people with his development during this past year, which has arguably been slowed by the knee injury he received in his previous AHL stint. He went on to be the #4 goal scorer in the AHL last season, and put away a shootout goal and at least one assist during the preseason. His strength and skating have definitely improved, as he is now able to keep up with the action. Moreso, his ability to make passes in tight spots is also in great shape.

So why is Schremp not on this team? Because he developed one year too late. However, with the history of injuries to some of the top players on the Oilers in the last few years, it's very likely that this will be the year that Schremp either steps forward and proves himself in the big club, or he is traded for a draft pick. Some would claim that MacT simply doesn't want to use Schremp's style of play in his overall game, but I disagree. MacT is aware of Schremp's chemistry with Robert Nilsson, and placing someone like Cole or Penner on that line could make a goal-scoring monster. At this point, I think it is Rob's decision alone as to whether or not he secures a job on the top roster.
Wake me up when it's time to drop the puck.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Re: The Annual "What about Rob Schremp?" Thread 

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:25 pm

And the crowd gasps in amazement.

You have to wonder with Schremp if its the skill level, or just that he doesn't fit our current system. To me, it seems a combination of the two. He's clearly skilled, a gifted player with a great amount of offensive talent, but he's not good enough to crack the Oilers' top offensive lines based on talent and promise alone. Furthermore, there remains the question of whether or not he can round out the rest of his game to the point where he can be a capable defensive presence. To his credit, that's clearly been a focus of his over the past couple of years, but he isn't quite there yet. It seems to me that the coaching staff recognizes that if he can't play on a line that allows him to fully recognize his offensive potential (because as of now, he simply isn't good enough to supplant our current top forwards), then they may as well continue to send him down to the minors and hope for further development.

So he's not quite good enough to be a major offensive contributer, but he also can't give you what you need in a checking line player (i.e. physical presence, strong defensive awareness). I'm somewhat partial to the idea that Scremp just isn't what MacT is looking for in a player, but if he was good enough, he would get minutes regardless. It'd certainly be nice to see him pull it together, and I still think he can be a contributor at the NHL level, but at this point, his continued inability to make the main roster has to make you worry.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: The Annual "What about Rob Schremp?" Thread 

Post#3 » by Nolan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:30 pm

Schremp is a one trick pony of sorts and I think that's why he's never been able to making the opening season roster. On offense he definitely has the talent to be an NHL player but the rest of his game is lacking and like UTM said he's not good enough on offense alone to be a top 2 line forward and he's not good enough in other areas to play on the bottom two lines. Schremp needs to work on forechecking and needs to cut back on his stupid turnovers if he wants to be a good NHL player.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Edmonton Oilers